TUCOM CA Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like I wasn't offered EA. Got the email at 4:31. Pretty disgusted...hope it turned out better for you all...

Members don't see this ad.

I was not offered EA from the either. I can finally put this behind me and work towards the future.

Looks like I wasn't offered EA. Got the email at 4:31. Pretty disgusted...hope it turned out better for you all...

No offer for me either. I'm pretty sad. It has been such a roller coaster ride and now it's over at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aaaaand there it is... the last slap in the face from TUCOM.

Thanks deadlywarbler - that actually made me laugh...I needed that. Although I wish we all had a better experience throughout this process, I really appreciate having you guys as an outlet...no one really understands what we go through (family, friends, etc)...so it's nice to be able to come on here and share our thoughts, vent, etc.
I'm crossing my fingers for NY this year...how about you all?

Thanks deadlywarbler - that actually made me laugh...I needed that. Although I wish we all had a better experience throughout this process, I really appreciate having you guys as an outlet...no one really understands what we go through (family, friends, etc)...so it's nice to be able to come on here and share our thoughts, vent, etc.

Nothing for me either.

I do not understand this school! At all! I got a reject too, after I specifically emailed them letting them know that I already matriculated somewhere else... I didn't want them to waste time looking at my file when they could have been looking at someone else. Anyways... good luck to you all! LECOM has been pretty sweet and I encourage you all to apply here. Its a big school so chances are you will get an interview, and they have campuses in Florida, outside Pittsburgh and Erie. Minus the snow, its a nice school. Good luck to you all!!!!!

I do not understand this school! At all! I got a reject too, after I specifically emailed them letting them know that I already matriculated somewhere else... I didn't want them to waste time looking at my file when they could have been looking at someone else. Anyways... good luck to you all! LECOM has been pretty sweet and I encourage you all to apply here. Its a big school so chances are you will get an interview, and they have campuses in Florida, outside Pittsburgh and Erie. Minus the snow, its a nice school. Good luck to you all!!!!!

I actually have a interview at LECOM erie on 9/9. I am super excited about it. how was your interview experience there ?

Could somebody please PM or tell me the reasons they are adamant about attending TUCOM-CA? It seems there are a lot of reapplicants...

Thank you.

Location Location Location!

Ha! That's hilarious... Well, at least you're enjoying your new program! It was nice to have this forum as a support network and frustration outlet. I am in the process of reapplying to schools, but will not be reapplying to Touro. I found their admissions process unnecessarily drawn out, mysterious and mildly insulting... Part of that is the nature of any waitlist, which I completely understand. Good luck to everyone in the process of getting into medical school!

:)

Does anyone have any idea as to how many people were accepted via EA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any idea as to how many people were accepted via EA?

I was offered it due to being an orientation standby alternate, as well as two other applicants. If they decided to attend that would be a solid 3 people. I sent in my deposit so I am just waiting till they start sending updates.

does the wrapping up of the EA process mean that they're going to get back to the regular apps? i'm waiting on a secondary..

when did you submit your primary? I've submitted my secondary for TUCOM-CA a while back.

when did you submit your primary? I've submitted my secondary for TUCOM-CA a while back.
my AACOMAS app was released 7/21 and i've had most of my apps done for a couple weeks now. this is the only secondary i haven't gotten yet. i haven't even gotten a "we got your primary application" email =/

yeah.. maybe my app just got to the bottom of some pile. good exercise for patience.

I was offered it due to being an orientation standby alternate, as well as two other applicants. If they decided to attend that would be a solid 3 people. I sent in my deposit so I am just waiting till they start sending updates.

I was offered EA as well. It seems like they should have just offered everyone on the high-wait list at spot since they made it seem as if those people really should be accpeted anyway (and it would help with this year's admissions process as well). I was just surprised to find out how many were not offered EA :(:(:(

I actually have a interview at LECOM erie on 9/9. I am super excited about it. how was your interview experience there ?

The interview at LECOM was the weirdest interview I had ever experienced. It was a group interview with about 10 people and two faculty members. They basically have a discussion of different topics and you contribute/ jump in whenever you have an opinion. It was pretty low stress. I feel like if you contribute to the discussion and give you're reasons for being there you shoudl have a pretty good shot. The school is one of the least expensive to attend and has a lot of different curriculum pathways for students (LDP- lecture 8-5pm with manadatory attendance required, PBL-case based learning groups that meet 3 times a week for two years and cover EVERYTHING, and ISP- where you are not required to attend lecture but are required to complete modules and readings on a designated timeline). The instructors are really good and I feel like all the students are approachable and nice. There is not a lot of extra curricular stuff but you don't really have time for that. The only other cons is that the administration pretty much owns the entire school (and most of the town) so there are some dumb rules that we are forced to follow and there is not a lot of room for negotiation. Overall though, I feel like I will do well here and learn all I need to. The board scores are consistently high and the clinical aspects/residency options are good.

Hey guys,
Im so sorry for everyone from the high-waitlist who was not offered a seat for EA.

To add another layer of mystery and ridiculousness to all of this:
As many of you probably know, I was on the High-Waitlist for awhile but then withdrew and instead decided to attend AZCOM. So I am now in my 3rd week of med school here at AZCOM, and yesterday I get an email from Touro congratulating me on being offered a seat for EA into next years class.......despite the fact that I WITHDREW my application about 2 months ago.

So here I am sitting out in Arizona, loving AZCOM and so happy I decided to come here, and TUCOM decides to waste one of their EA spots on me.... someone who withdrew months ago and informed them that they would be matriculating at AZCOM.

I cannot believe how much of a cluster-f&% their admissions process has been and I truly feel for those of you who got caught up in all of it.

I responded to their EA offer by reminding them that I had withdrawn and am currently attending AZCOM, so I HOPE they offer an EA seat to one of u guys....but I wouldnt count on anything considering the circus this turned out to be.

Best of luck to all of you and just know that this is just a minor set-back and though excruciating, you will all be doctors one day.

PS-med school is hard.....very very very hard.

for TUCOM-CA, does getting a secondary mean getting an interview, like it does for TUCOM-NY?

Hey guys,
Im so sorry for everyone from the high-waitlist who was not offered a seat for EA.

To add another layer of mystery and ridiculousness to all of this:
As many of you probably know, I was on the High-Waitlist for awhile but then withdrew and instead decided to attend AZCOM. So I am now in my 3rd week of med school here at AZCOM, and yesterday I get an email from Touro congratulating me on being offered a seat for EA into next years class.......despite the fact that I WITHDREW my application about 2 months ago.

So here I am sitting out in Arizona, loving AZCOM and so happy I decided to come here, and TUCOM decides to waste one of their EA spots on me.... someone who withdrew months ago and informed them that they would be matriculating at AZCOM.

I cannot believe how much of a cluster-f&% their admissions process has been and I truly feel for those of you who got caught up in all of it.

I responded to their EA offer by reminding them that I had withdrawn and am currently attending AZCOM, so I HOPE they offer an EA seat to one of u guys....but I wouldnt count on anything considering the circus this turned out to be.

Best of luck to all of you and just know that this is just a minor set-back and though excruciating, you will all be doctors one day.

PS-med school is hard.....very very very hard.

Are you kidding me?! :bang:

I think this piece of news is an indication that they are completely disorganized in their admissions process. How could that get overlooked?? Not to mention the fuzzy and vague "updates" and the disorderly pulling from lists...

Anyway, I've laid this one to rest. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying AZCOM! Keep thinking good thoughts for those of us who now have to go through another round of apps.

Are you kidding me?! :bang:

I think this piece of news is an indication that they are completely disorganized in their admissions process. How could that get overlooked?? Not to mention the fuzzy and vague "updates" and the disorderly pulling from lists...

Anyway, I've laid this one to rest. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying AZCOM! Keep thinking good thoughts for those of us who now have to go through another round of apps.

Yea, I actually am infuriated when I think that they screwed up and offered one of their precious EA seats to me, someone who withdrew months ago, and it could and should have gone to one of you guys who actually could use it.

I wish all of you guys the best. I am so sorry you have to go through this dreadful process again, but as i said, it is a roadblock (albeit a large and frustrating one) but I have ZERO doubt you will all receive acceptances this go around and soon we will all be colleagues. I am just sorry and angry that TUCOM put so many great people through such unnecessary BS. Keep your heads up and good luck to all.

To anyone who has interviewed at TUCOM-CA before....

1. I know that the interview is open file and panel format. Does that mean they only have access to the secondary app or your gpas, mcat scores as well? If they do, do they ask a question asking you to explain a certain grade you've received in a course? :scared:

2. Approximately how many questions does each person get asked? About 3-4 right?

3. After the interview, when the committee has to make a final decision, do they reconsider your stats again or is it just based on your character/personality at your interview?

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!!! THanks!!!

Yep, you got it. 3-4 maybe 5 questions from two faculty and one student. The questions were very well thought out, so they will make you think on your feet. There weren't any specific questions about grades or test scores, but they did ask very specific questions about your educational past. Be prepared to explain your reasoning behind all the things you've done and why that got you where you are now. You'll be with 5 other applicants, so they want to see if you play well with others. Also, be prepared for at least one "stress" question like the typical 14 year-old pregnant girl in your office who doesn't want her parents to know...what do you do? Not bad, but they definitely don't want to see you fumble and say something stupid. It's a relaxed environment, so don't stress.

They will consider all aspects of your application after the interview. Hope for an outright acceptance. The waitlist process is confusing and ultimately a mess ( I can speak from way too much personal experience). The school is quality and the teachers are very educationally oriented. The anatomy labs smell great. The outer appearance of the school is pretty dismal, but that is just the book's cover. Keep in touch with admissions as best you can with regular updates. Lynn Huckle is very nice and helpful as is Dr. Haight.

I agree! You want an outright acceptance and not a high alternate list spot...haha.

My interview questions were a bit different. I had a basic science instructor, a clinical science instructor, and a 2nd year med student. Each of the interviewers asked us 1 question, so I received 3 separate questions. They then asked us all 1 questions which was something like "What part of your application do you think is misleading to us". It was kinda hard to answer, but I said that they may think by looking at my application that I want to be a teacher or researcher because that is what I have been doing. They all seemed happy with this answer. They also asked why osteopathic medicine. And my interviewers asked me why my undergraduate grades were so bad when my grad school grades were so good. Dr. Haight told my interview group not to worry about the interviewers asking about "bad" things in your app because they are mainly trying to see how you respond to something like that under pressure. That is all I can remember...I hope that helps!

I was among the last group that was interviewed this application cycle, and our group was told that day that there were enough spots available for each of us. Unfortunately, I was placed on the wait list. However, when I called yesterday to inquire about whether they've begun to pull from the wait list yet, they said that they hadn't yet started this and that it depended on whether someone withdrawals - the class was full. But how can that be if there were supposedly enough spots for each of us and we were the last group to be interviewed, and I was wait listed?? If they haven't even started to pull from the wait list, how could the class be full?? I didn't want to sound antagonistic by asking and risk my chances of being accepted, but I'm confused. Is any one else in this situation?? Does any one know anything about how the process of pulling from the wait list has worked in recent years? How many withdrawals are typical? Any feedback would be super appreciated!! I am on the "high" wait list, although I'm not too hopeful about it at this point :-/

I was among the last group that was interviewed this application cycle, and our group was told that day that there were enough spots available for each of us. Unfortunately, I was placed on the wait list. However, when I called yesterday to inquire about whether they've begun to pull from the wait list yet, they said that they hadn't yet started this and that it depended on whether someone withdrawals - the class was full. But how can that be if there were supposedly enough spots for each of us and we were the last group to be interviewed, and I was wait listed?? If they haven't even started to pull from the wait list, how could the class be full?? I didn't want to sound antagonistic by asking and risk my chances of being accepted, but I'm confused. Is any one else in this situation?? Does any one know anything about how the process of pulling from the wait list has worked in recent years? How many withdrawals are typical? Any feedback would be super appreciated!! I am on the "high" wait list, although I'm not too hopeful about it at this point :-/

Ok I was in the exact situation as you last year in 11. I was in the last interview group and was told the same thing that there are enough spots in such. But when I got my letter two weeks later it said High-wait list. So I was thinking the same way as you. I had come to find out, a lot of people who have accepted pull out last minute because they get into a school they really wanted etc. So the final count for the class can go all the way up to the first day of orientation.

This is where the orientation standbys come into place. Those usually on the high wait list who live with proximity of the school will be asked in the order of wait list status if they want to be a stand by for the class. If you get this email say yes, because even if you do not get in this year of someone drops before or during orientation you are guaranteed admission for the next school year.

This is what happened to me and I was able to get a preview of what school will be like at Touro from the experience. So just be patient, some years the high wait list moves all the way through to medium wait list, but last year that wasn't the case. Only a few high-waitlisters got in. I got in by being a standby, which stopped me from having to go through the entire application process again!