Tufts 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UPDATE AS OF 10/07/2016:
Sorry I didn't get around to posting this until now, but last Friday (10/07) I attended at talk at my school by one of the admissions counselors, and he said that they haven't read a single application yet. He said that OOS should hear December/early January about interviews, and that OOS interviews will be early February.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Tufts interview survivor here (kidding; Tufts genuinely had the most pleasant application and interview process of anywhere I applied). I'm happy to answer any questions about the application process or about the school in general.

Tufts interview survivor here (kidding; Tufts genuinely had the most pleasant application and interview process of anywhere I applied). I'm happy to answer any questions about the application process or about the school in general.

You're not talking about this year, right?
I'm glad you had a good experience!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, that was last year!

Ah phew.
If I may, did they ask you a lot about your application, or was it more scenario based (vet med and other)?
Thank you!
Also, are you at Tufts now? If so, how do you like it, and why did you choose Tufts?

Ah phew.
If I may, did they ask you a lot about your application, or was it more scenario based (vet med and other)?
Thank you!
Also, are you at Tufts now? If so, how do you like it, and why did you choose Tufts?

The interview was very casual and conversation based and lasted around 30 minutes. They try to pair you with interviewers (usually two) who match your area of interest, so it is usually pretty easy to find things to talk about, especially since you receive their bios earlier in the day. I think I actually spend near half the time asking about their work. It is an open file interview, so they asked very specific questions about my experiences and interests. It is definitely worth being honest with interviewers (for example, I told them Tufts wasn't my first choice, mostly due to finances). Overall, it was very relaxed and felt more conversational than most of the interviews I went to. I really got the impression that they are evaluating your interpersonal skills far more than anything else.

Yes, I chose Tufts! My options were Tufts, U of Minnesota, or Illinois. Tufts was my favorite school by far in terms of culture and program strengths, and wound up being comparable cost-wise to Illinois (and much cheaper than UMN). Some things that made me choose Tufts:
  • The genuinely welcoming and caring atmosphere. This really shined through immediately - Tufts really made me feel like they were interested in me as an individual (through things like matching me with interviewers with similar interests, and offering to pair interviewees with students for housing) while I left most schools feeling like I was just cog/they didn't really care if I came or not since there were 200 other people in line behind me. Now that I'm actually here, that still holds true. We have a TON of support systems from big sibs to guidance counselors to upperclassmen tutors to make sure nobody feels unsupported. Students are very cooperative, rather than competitive. Tufts is also very welcoming of diversity, and seems to have a lot more support for things like LGBTQ organizations than most schools.
  • Great location - you are really in a small, extremely safe town and a tiny campus, but if that's too rural for you Worcester (2nd largest city in New England) is 10 minutes away and Boston is less than an hour. It's also jaw-droppingly beautiful.
  • Strong small animal program, with the highest caseload small animal teaching hospital in the country!
  • Early application of hands-on and problem-based learning (we have clinical skills and PBL starting first year) - for example, last week several classmates got to castrate llamas!
  • Strong anatomy program with a lot of support. While it can be challenging/confusing, the professor has made it clear that if you are struggling, just reach out for help and you WILL pass as long as you put in the effort.
  • Of all the schools I visited, Tufts is the only one that had all farm animals on site. It is really nice to be able to talk a walk after a rough exam and see frolicking lambs and calves (plus pretty scenery).
  • Emphasis on wildlife medicine, One Health, conservation med, and international vet met programs. Lots of opportunities for students to get involved in clinical research early and often.
  • It is not tracked, and selectives throughout the program allow you to tailor your classes to what you're interested in. For me, this is great since I would like to get experience in surgery (large and small) as well as wildlife, and doing so many things appeared to be difficult in many tracked programs.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi guys! I'm also a current V20 who still has the interview process fresh in her mind so feel free to message me with any questions too! I'm oos and interested in just about every field of vetmed it seems right now. I know the open house was just yesterday and the one piece of advice I would give you guys is to write your name down wherever you go! admissions councils at every school gage applicant interest by looking at if they've come to programs or if they've communicated with the admissions department. Don't be shy!

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I wanted to ask anyway. I'm staring at all of this debt in the face and I came to the realization that I currently make enough that it could cover tuition. My husband is already covering living expenses, so theoretically I could graduate debt free. I know it's not possible to work full time and go to vet school so that lofty idea is right out, but is there anyway to work and attend, even if your only working part-time? Since you are a VM1 I figured I'd ask if you think it would be possible to work part time and do everything you are doing now. I know I shouldn't, but the thought is so tempting because it would vastly reduce my loans.

In another but slightly related question, what do people so during the summer? Do they work in vet med and earn money? Or do they intern for free and stuff? I know gaining experience is nice, but I think making money would be more useful in the short term.

Edit: @Camio it would be awesome if you could help too!

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I wanted to ask anyway. I'm staring at all of this debt in the face and I came to the realization that I currently make enough that it could cover tuition. My husband is already covering living expenses, so theoretically I could graduate debt free. I know it's not possible to work full time and go to vet school so that lofty idea is right out, but is there anyway to work and attend, even if your only working part-time? Since you are a VM1 I figured I'd ask if you think it would be possible to work part time and do everything you are doing now. I know I shouldn't, but the thought is so tempting because it would vastly reduce my loans.

In another but slightly related question, what do people so during the summer? Do they work in vet med and earn money? Or do they intern for free and stuff? I know gaining experience is nice, but I think making money would be more useful in the short term.

I know a few people who currently work 1 day a week on the weekends. That is really about as much as you can do. And keep in mind, if your free time is eaten up by work, that limits your ability to take advantage of many of the once-in-a-lifetime opportunities you get while at school (guest lecturers, wet labs/workshops, volunteering at the wildlife hospital, research projects, etc.). One thing to realize about Tufts is that we have an integrated curriculum. Our schedule shifts from week to week, so on weekdays it is virtually impossible to tell an employer that "I'm free at x time on x days". Have you considered taking a gap year or two to build up enough savings to reduce how much you need to take out in loans? If you have your heart set on a particular school, you could also consider moving to that state early to get IS tuition during that gap year.

People are doing all sorts of things over the summer. Personally, I am not entirely decided but definitely want to earn money. I am looking into doing an NIH-funded summer research project, or if that doesn't pan out, going to my old job and teching over the summer. There are definitely cool unpaid internships out there, but paid internships and jobs are definitely out there.

Reactions: 1 user
I know a few people who currently work 1 day a week on the weekends. That is really about as much as you can do. And keep in mind, if your free time is eaten up by work, that limits your ability to take advantage of many of the once-in-a-lifetime opportunities you get while at school (guest lecturers, wet labs/workshops, volunteering at the wildlife hospital, research projects, etc.). One thing to realize about Tufts is that we have an integrated curriculum. Our schedule shifts from week to week, so on weekdays it is virtually impossible to tell an employer that "I'm free at x time on x days". Have you considered taking a gap year or two to build up enough savings to reduce how much you need to take out in loans? If you have your heart set on a particular school, you could also consider moving to that state early to get IS tuition during that gap year.

People are doing all sorts of things over the summer. Personally, I am not entirely decided but definitely want to earn money. I am looking into doing an NIH-funded summer research project, or if that doesn't pan out, going to my old job and teching over the summer. There are definitely cool unpaid internships out there, but paid internships and jobs are definitely out there.

Thanks for the reply, I figured as much. I'm currently on my 4th gap year lol. I realize it would be next to impossible, but that doesn't stop me wishing I could. I have built up enough savings in case of emergency, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it to pay for tuition. I have been trying to put away for just that very reason, but things keep popping up that eat it all. For instance my soon to be 15-year-old dog needed vet visits that added up to about $13k this year alone. Then my husband needed a root canal and car repairs. They just never seem to stop. I'm worried about living on one income, and I'm worried about the debt, but that's not going to stop me. If I can work during the summer to take the edge off of the debt then great! If not and I get vet experience instead also great. If I could do both that would be even better. Thank you for your advice, I appreciate you taking the time to let me know how things are going in first year :).

Reactions: 1 users

[prepare yourself for a long post. This is my study break and I'm milking it for all I can]

Hey @Coopah, I agree with what @Camio said. There are a few people that will work for a few hours on one day of the weekend or 1 or 2 evenings after 6pm and it was definitely something I considered. But honestly I don't think it's worth it. Most likely, you'll be making (I'm assuming so maybe better in your case) $80 or less a week for one 8-hour Saturday shift and losing 8 hours that you could be studying or meeting with review groups or even with anatomy professors who make themselves available on the weekend. While having a little more spending money might be nice, the trade-off wasn't worth it. If your job is one where if you have to keep working throughout the year in order to guarantee yourself a job during the holidays or summer, then maybe that would make it more worth it. Or if it was a job where you had a lot of down-time and could almost get paid to study, then maybe.

There are many job opportunities on campus. There are vet tech teams in both the small and large animal hospitals that you might be able to get as long as you have either some tech experience or large animal experience (about 18 open spots this year that I think 60ish first and second years applied for). Those are on-call and you only get paid for the hours you get called in. I think some weeks you may be able to get called in for 6-10 hours (I think the rate is $10 an hour (someone who's actually doing this feel free to correct me!)) and other weeks you won't get called in at all. There are a couple other more paperworky jobs in the hospital too that have more steady hours. Then, there are so so so so many people in the area that are looking for dog walkers and pet sitters, so depending on your housing situation and time management you could sign up for as many or as few of those as you'd like. So again, lots of ways to earn a little extra spending money without having to find and make a commitment to a steady off-campus job.

This may be a privilege, as besides rent and basic utilities and food I don't have any big expenses, but what I've used as a good judgement for myself to decide if I want to go out for a job and put in the time investment or not is the question "is this job going to help me academically or experientially?" I've walked and pet-sat so many dogs in the past such that I don't need any more "practice" doing it so I don't allocate any time to trying to do those jobs. But I have no vet tech experience so I tried to get in to both the tech teams as I figured that would be a great way to enhance myself academically and get a little extra money on the side. To me it didn't feel like by doing that job, I would be losing study hours, because I would be gaining so much good exposure and practice. But like I said, I guess I can afford to do that now. I'm lucky because my boyfriend currently works a full-time job so I am able to rely partly on my savings and partly on his savings/income. In addition, because I won't have been earning any money this school year, I'm dedicating this upcoming summer to working 1 (maybe two if I'm motivated) jobs to capitalize on not having to study and to earn back some money. This limits my summer options to more techy jobs (which is fine with me as I don't have experience in that) and realistically rules out any cool research or unpaid internships, where perhaps I may get a stipend but it would probably be small and most likely, not much more than breaking even.

The other thing I would say based on your previous post of trying to save up before being able to go to vet school is that at some point you are just going to have to make the jump. It sounds scary but realistically, each year something new will come up; that's kind of just how life works. For most of us, I don't think there may ever be a perfect financial time to throw ourselves into debt and go to vet school. I think the only thing you need to do is make sure your whole family is onboard and realizes that both money and time will be tight for the next 4 (or 40) years.

Happy to help and not study so feel free to keep the questions coming!

Ah phew.
Thank you!

@ILDSU just wanted to add that my interview was also the most pleasant interview I had. I had two interviewers who asked me a total of four questions off of my CV:
1) tell me about yourself
2) tell me about your research at undergrad
3) tell me about your study abroad
4) (I forget this one but it was along the same line of the others something like) tell me about the zoo experiences you had the past two summers

So very open ended questions that invite discussions and anecdotal stories from you which then also allow you to steer the conversation how you want. They may have have one or two follow-ups to my stories to get more details, but nothing hard.
Then they gave me the floor and let me have 15-20 minutes to ask questions. So it would be a very good idea for you to have 5-6 questions prepared that you want to ask them. They can be about how the school works, the curriculum, the professor's area of research, academic opportunities that are relevant to you and you can write them down, I did. And like Camio said, at least one interviewer should hopefully have an area of interest in common with you so that can help. Just make sure to have a bunch of questions ready because it looks good that you did research on the school and because having a long silence where they're just looking at you and waiting for you to think of questions on the spot is awkward.

Thanks
[prepare yourself for a long post. This is my study break and I'm milking it for all I can]

Hey @Coopah, I agree with what @Camio said. There are a few people that will work for a few hours on one day of the weekend or 1 or 2 evenings after 6pm and it was definitely something I considered. But honestly I don't think it's worth it. Most likely, you'll be making (I'm assuming so maybe better in your case) $80 or less a week for one 8-hour Saturday shift and losing 8 hours that you could be studying or meeting with review groups or even with anatomy professors who make themselves available on the weekend. While having a little more spending money might be nice, the trade-off wasn't worth it. If your job is one where if you have to keep working throughout the year in order to guarantee yourself a job during the holidays or summer, then maybe that would make it more worth it. Or if it was a job where you had a lot of down-time and could almost get paid to study, then maybe.

There are many job opportunities on campus. There are vet tech teams in both the small and large animal hospitals that you might be able to get as long as you have either some tech experience or large animal experience (about 18 open spots this year that I think 60ish first and second years applied for). Those are on-call and you only get paid for the hours you get called in. I think some weeks you may be able to get called in for 6-10 hours (I think the rate is $10 an hour (someone who's actually doing this feel free to correct me!)) and other weeks you won't get called in at all. There are a couple other more paperworky jobs in the hospital too that have more steady hours. Then, there are so so so so many people in the area that are looking for dog walkers and pet sitters, so depending on your housing situation and time management you could sign up for as many or as few of those as you'd like. So again, lots of ways to earn a little extra spending money without having to find and make a commitment to a steady off-campus job.

This may be a privilege, as besides rent and basic utilities and food I don't have any big expenses, but what I've used as a good judgement for myself to decide if I want to go out for a job and put in the time investment or not is the question "is this job going to help me academically or experientially?" I've walked and pet-sat so many dogs in the past such that I don't need any more "practice" doing it so I don't allocate any time to trying to do those jobs. But I have no vet tech experience so I tried to get in to both the tech teams as I figured that would be a great way to enhance myself academically and get a little extra money on the side. To me it didn't feel like by doing that job, I would be losing study hours, because I would be gaining so much good exposure and practice. But like I said, I guess I can afford to do that now. I'm lucky because my boyfriend currently works a full-time job so I am able to rely partly on my savings and partly on his savings/income. In addition, because I won't have been earning any money this school year, I'm dedicating this upcoming summer to working 1 (maybe two if I'm motivated) jobs to capitalize on not having to study and to earn back some money. This limits my summer options to more techy jobs (which is fine with me as I don't have experience in that) and realistically rules out any cool research or unpaid internships, where perhaps I may get a stipend but it would probably be small and most likely, not much more than breaking even.

The other thing I would say based on your previous post of trying to save up before being able to go to vet school is that at some point you are just going to have to make the jump. It sounds scary but realistically, each year something new will come up; that's kind of just how life works. For most of us, I don't think there may ever be a perfect financial time to throw ourselves into debt and go to vet school. I think the only thing you need to do is make sure your whole family is onboard and realizes that both money and time will be tight for the next 4 (or 40) years.

Happy to help and not study so feel free to keep the questions coming!

Thank you so much for all of this info! I was considering working part time at my current job because I hardly do anything there (shhh don't tell my boss) but I have meetings I have to attend. The money would be more like 30 bucks an hour which is why it's so tempting. But realistically I realize I'm going to have to quit to attend. Going into debt sucks but I'm prepared. I am also lucky in the sense that my husband will be paying for living expenses and I only have to borrow for tuition.

The only thing I was considering would be to but a house or townhouse and rent out rooms to vet students. Do you know if a lot of students rent in the nearby area and what the rent is like?

Thanks again!

Hey everyone! I received an email from Tufts asking me to confirm something about one of my references so it looks like they have started to go through applications! Thought I would pass this along and good luck to everyone :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing I was considering would be to but a house or townhouse and rent out rooms to vet students. Do you know if a lot of students rent in the nearby area and what the rent is like?
@Coopah sorry it's taken so long to respond. I kept telling myself to check the bulletin board where people post housing info for current students and I kept forgetting. But I think I have a decent estimate.
A lot of students do rent in the nearby area. I think at least 60-70% live within a 10 minute drive in towns like Grafton and Shrewsbury. Quite a few like myself live slightly farther away (15-20 minutes) in Worcester. I think you might have a hard time finding renters if the house is more than 20 minutes away. From what I see on the ads on that bulletin board, I think typical rent for an individual room with shared living spaces ranges from $400-600 plus some utilities. And there are multiple forums online (from Facebook pages to Tuft's official housing page) that you can get your info out there.

@Coopah sorry it's taken so long to respond. I kept telling myself to check the bulletin board where people post housing info for current students and I kept forgetting. But I think I have a decent estimate.
A lot of students do rent in the nearby area. I think at least 60-70% live within a 10 minute drive in towns like Grafton and Shrewsbury. Quite a few like myself live slightly farther away (15-20 minutes) in Worcester. I think you might have a hard time finding renters if the house is more than 20 minutes away. From what I see on the ads on that bulletin board, I think typical rent for an individual room with shared living spaces ranges from $400-600 plus some utilities. And there are multiple forums online (from Facebook pages to Tuft's official housing page) that you can get your info out there.

Thanks for your reply. I had forgotten I posted this but that's really good information to have thank you.

Does anyone know when Tufts is planning on sending out the first wave of interview invites for the Dec. 16th interview date?

Does anyone know when Tufts is planning on sending out the first wave of interview invites for the Dec. 16th interview date?

No, but last year they sent out the early interview invites the day before Thanksgiving. These are only for the highest ranked applicants, so do not be alarmed if you do not receive an interview.

EDIT: @london31 just a guess but I think you'll get that email ;).

No, but last year they sent out the early interview invites the day before Thanksgiving. These are only for the highest ranked applicants, so do not be alarmed if you do not receive an interview.

Also, I'm pretty sure they're not doing OOS until late January/early February, and they'll let us know at least a month in advance.

thanks haha at least someone has some confidence in me ;)

And I guess that means they will be sending it out within the next week, so soon!

Also, I'm pretty sure they're not doing OOS until late January/early February, and they'll let us know at least a month in advance.

And yea I am not sure how they do OOS interviews because I have heard from some people that they do IS interviews later, but then others say that they do IS early. Plus there are other people who say that location doesn't even matter, so who knows I guess. I am from PA, but I would really love to hear about an interview soon rather than later because I love this school so much haha

And yea I am not sure how they do OOS interviews because I have heard from some people that they do IS interviews later, but then others say that they do IS early. Plus there are other people who say that location doesn't even matter, so who knows I guess. I am from PA, but I would really love to hear about an interview soon rather than later because I love this school so much haha

I interviewed in December. The early interview invites typically only go out to OOS students (rumor has it the goal is to get their top-ranked OOS students admitted pronto, before their in-states can lure them away). From what I gather from other first years, IS interviews didn't begin until most OOS interviews had already wrapped up

I interviewed in December. The early interview invites typically only go out to OOS students (rumor has it the goal is to get their top-ranked OOS students admitted pronto, before their in-states can lure them away). From what I gather from other first years, IS interviews didn't begin until most OOS interviews had already wrapped up

Ok got it... thanks for the info! Hopefully they like me enough to want to interview me early, but who knows....

When Ford from admissions gave a talk at my school about a month ago, he said that OOS gets interviews late January/early February, but I guess that would make sense to have the top ranked people go first in addition to that.

I just got an interview offer- supposed to head up there mid December.
Anybody else?

I'm OOS and got an interview invitation this morning! My interview is on December 16th. Anyone else have an interview on the same day?

I'm OOS and got an interview invitation this morning! My interview is on December 16th. Anyone else have an interview on the same day?
I'm on the 16th as well. I'll see you there :) :)

did you got the invite by email?
Yeah, they sent them out via email. It sounds like these were early early so I'm sure there have a ton of interviews left to offer.

Yeah, they sent them out via email. It sounds like these were early early so I'm sure there have a ton of interviews left to offer.
Congratulations! By chance, did you have a choice of dates or just one option?

Congratulations! By chance, did you have a choice of dates or just one option?
I personally didn't get a choice, they informed me that my interview is on the 16th.

Yay okay! Always good to see a friendly face. :)

Hopping on the December 16th train! Got the invite around the same time as everyone else on Friday. I'm IS however.

So do we know for sure if the top candidates are given the first interviews? Makes sense since they tell you fairly quickly after your interview if you got accepted

So do we know for sure if the top candidates are given the first interviews? Makes sense since they tell you fairly quickly after your interview if you got accepted

Do you have any idea of the timeline for that? How quickly are we talking?

Do you have any idea of the timeline for that? How quickly are we talking?

Look at the tufts thread for c/o 2020. You will see some people found on a few weeks after (late December) while other people didn't find out until February

Congrats everyone! I'm super jealous :D @Everyone who has been offered interviews - do you have an IS school? I'm just trying not to worry about not being offered an interview haha, but I don't have an IS school. And like someone above mentioned, I also have heard they try to lock down and impress the applicants with IS schools before they can get offers from them

Congrats everyone! I'm super jealous :D @Everyone who has been offered interviews - do you have an IS school? I'm just trying not to worry about not being offered an interview haha, but I don't have an IS school. And like someone above mentioned, I also have heard they try to lock down and impress the applicants with IS schools before they can get offers from them
My IS is Texas A&M. My first choice is RVC though Tufts and A&M are tied for my second choice.

Anyone know when the interview weekends are this year? And when we would hear?

Got an email a couple weeks ago that said tentative dates are December 16, 2016, January 17, 18, 24, 30, and 31, 2017, and February 7, 2017 and that we'd hear "a couple weeks" in advance if you were selected for interview.

I'm interviewing on December 16th as well (notified same day as the others), and no, I do not have an IS school. Although I am in New England, so Tufts is kind of our regional mascot school (in my head, at least). It sounds like this round is a mix of all possible IS/OOS resident statuses.

I wouldn't worry too much - remember that the bulk of interview days are in January and February. Good luck to you and everyone else who is interviewing or still waiting to hear!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Has any in state students (MA) get an interview for the 16th? So far just seems to be OoS.

So the first wave of interviews went out, does anyone know how many more waves will go out?

Congrats again to all of you that got interviews for the 16th! Out of curiosity, did your portal/status pages change at all as an update to indicate that you received an interview invite?

So the first wave of interviews went out, does anyone know how many more waves will go out?
They have interview dates set up tentatively for January 17, 18, 24, 30, and 31, and February 7, after the December 16th date. So if no one has gotten an email for the next set of dates, there should be 6 more waves

Can anyone guestimate when the next wave should go out? Maybe mid-Dec?

Congrats again to all of you that got interviews for the 16th! Out of curiosity, did your portal/status pages change at all as an update to indicate that you received an interview invite?
I got an interview invite for the 16th by email. My portal hasn't been updated, which is kind of dumb now that I think about it. So yeah, don't check your portal, just keep checking your email.

does anyone know when the next wave of invites go out?