UFCVM c/o 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think that's a great idea! I went to the preview day last year, and it was nice being able to meet people that will be in your class.
What was the schedule like for preview day/what did you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would anyone accepted want to make a group? I’m waiting to hear from other schools but I’d love to meet everyone before we have to officially accept
I’m interested even though I’m waitlisted :)

You're invited to join my group "UFCVM C/O 2028!!!!" on GroupMe. Use this link to join: GroupMe

What was the schedule like for preview day/what did you do?

It was great, definitely what made me know for sure that I wanted to go to UF. It was an all day thing (8:30am-4pm). They started by welcoming us, then let us sit in a live lecture through zoom, then we got to tour the campus and learn about the clinical skills lab and anatomy lab. They gave us lunch, and allowed us to talk to current students about any questions we had, and then had guest speakers to discuss financial aid, wellness, and career services, etc. and went over next steps and such.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how many people make the OOS alternate list and if it tends to move at all?

Does anyone know how many people make the OOS alternate list and if it tends to move at all?
Yes it does. One of my friends got in off of the OOS waitlist.

Congratulations everyone on your acceptances! I’m here if you have any questions :) (in between studying for a gastro exam ALREADY).

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone else apply for the John & Kathy Anderson Equine scholarship? If so do you know when we are supposed to hear back about that? Or would it have been included in my acceptance email?

Congratulations everyone on your acceptances! I’m here if you have any questions :) (in between studying for a gastro exam ALREADY).
Where do students typically look for housing. I feel like the resources on the UF website are targeting undergrad. Not sure if it’s common or not for UF vet students to be in the same building as undergrads or not.

Where do students typically look for housing. I feel like the resources on the UF website are targeting undergrad. Not sure if it’s common or not for UF vet students to be in the same building as undergrads or not.
A lot of my classmates rent houses or apartments near the vet school together or with their SO. One of my friends in my year is looking for a new roommate for her house (close to the vet school) as her current roommate is a 4th year if anyone is interested in that! The vet school is across from shands so a lot of people in the apartments nearby are vet/med students/residents. I live at spyglass with my husband (about 10m away). A lot of grad students and vet students/residents live here so it’s pretty quiet, gated, pet friendly, has a pool, gym, dog park, free parking.

Last edited:

One of places they advertised to CVM students last year was cottage grove at Gainesville.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of my classmates rent houses or apartments near the vet school together or with their SO. One of my friends in my year is looking for a new roommate for her house (3min from the vet school) as her current roommate is a 4th year if anyone is interested in that! The vet school is across from shands so a lot of people in the apartments nearby are vet/med students/residents. I live at spyglass with my husband (about 10m away). A lot of grad students and vet students/residents live here so it’s pretty quiet, gated, pet friendly, has a pool, gym, dog park, free parking.
I am the friend! Looking for a roommate starting next year, house is 2bed 2bath ~8 mins away from campus! If anyone is interested DM me, all I have is one orange kitten. Rent is pretty affordable too, in-unit laundry and dishwasher :)

• Love
I hope and think it does. If you look at their stats from the 2027 class it looks like around 80 OOS "declined" their seat which I think would mean they were offered a seat and then said no so the waitlist moved around 80 spots last year is my understanding from that.

I hope and think it does. If you look at their stats from the 2027 class it looks like around 80 OOS "declined" their seat which I think would mean they were offered a seat and then said no so the waitlist moved around 80 spots last year is my understanding from that.
very insightful! Thanks for sharing this perspective.

Did anyone else apply for the John & Kathy Anderson Equine scholarship? If so do you know when we are supposed to hear back about that? Or would it have been included in my acceptance email?

I applied for it and it was included in my acceptance email that I received it!

Reactions: 1 users
One of places they advertised to CVM students last year was cottage grove at Gainesville.
Congrats to everyone who was accepted this cycle! I live at Cottage Grove and I personally love it! If anyone wants to know more then feel free to DM me. There's also a housing document that was shared with my class from c/o 2026 through the student page on Facebook. Once it's created for your class then you guys should be able to access it and see what options my class recommends. There was also a section for roommate search and for upperclassmen to advertise open housing options with them.

Does anyone know if there is a require scrub color for UF?
There is no required color! The only caveat is that when you're on clinics, techs wear royal, and docs wear navy so don't wear those colors. But 1st and 2nd year is whatever color you want. We're also not allowed to wear patterned scrubs as far as I know. The dress code is always clearly expressed for things like clinical skills.

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted!! :clap: I'm a current 3rd year and just finished up with the first half of clinics, so if you guys have questions about the program, I can try to answer them!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
There will be lots of opportunities for housing! I would advise you take your time looking and talking to potential roommates, I know it’s stressful trying to sign somewhere ASAP but you want to be comfortable and happy with your decision! I am personally looking for a third roommate (my 4th year roommate is moving out)! I live in 7-8 minute away from school in a 3 bed 2 bath house! I have a fenced in backyard and we currently have one dog. There will potentially be a cat in the near future! Our landlord is amazing and rent is cheap so I’ve really enjoyed the past two years here. There is currently a rising 3rd year (myself) and a rising 2nd year that you would be living with! DM if interested

for any 4th years or people that may know this question . Does anybody know the starting salary for people graduating from UF? Perhaps starting salary for people wanting to do exotics ?

Also can anybody tell me what UF weather feels or more about the campus itself? Does UF community have a competitive feel to it with the class cause I’m really worried about that since it’s ranked #7? As well as when picking a school do ranks matter ? I would love to learn more about the school in case I get pulled off the waitlist and need to make a decision. For instance how much is rent around the area?

As well how often do you guys work with reptile/exotics and gators? I love reptiles and gators and wondering what opportunities there are.
Thanks

Last edited:
Also can anybody tell me what UF weather feels or more about the campus itself? Does UF community have a competitive feel to it with the class cause I’m really worried about that since it’s ranked #7? As well as when picking a school do ranks matter ? I would love to learn more about the school in case I get pulled off the waitlist and need to make a decision. For instance how much is rent around the area?

As well how often do you guys work with reptile/exotics and gators? I love reptiles and gators and wondering what opportunities there are.
Thanks
Gainesville is nicknamed “rainesville.” Just like any other place in central florida summers are hot and humid. Winters are mildly cold (low 30s-50s). The vet school and hospital are very modern looking, and well kept. Ranking for vet and meds schools is based on research, not the quality of vets they produce, so unless you plan to do research soley, it’s a pretty useless factor. I can’t speak for other classes but my class is pretty competitive with grades/internships etc. rent in the area is around average for north Florida but depends on proximity to UF. A one bedroom can range from $600-1000/month. I’m shelter med focused so I don’t do a lot of exotics clubs/work. There is an exotics club and you can sign up for weekend volunteer shifts with the exotics department.

Gainesville is nicknamed “rainesville.” Just like any other place in central florida summers are hot and humid. Winters are mildly cold (low 30s-50s). The vet school and hospital are very modern looking, and well kept. Ranking for vet and meds schools is based on research, not the quality of vets they produce, so unless you plan to do research soley, it’s a pretty useless factor. I can’t speak for other classes but my class is pretty competitive with grades/internships etc. rent in the area is around average for north Florida but depends on proximity to UF. A one bedroom can range from $600-1000/month. I’m shelter med focused so I don’t do a lot of exotics clubs/work. There is an exotics club and you can sign up for weekend volunteer shifts with the exotics department.
Would you say even though yall are competitive are yall supportive of one another ?

for any 4th years or people that may know this question . Does anybody know the starting salary for people graduating from UF? Perhaps starting salary for people wanting to do exotics ?

They said their average starting salary for graduates last year was somewhere between $114000-$130000. However, that's not solely focused on exotics. Im pretty sure for exotics you'll have to do some sort of internships or residencies right out of vet school.

Would you say even though yall are competitive are yall supportive of one another ?
It really depends on the people honestly. Some people who are after extremely competitive specialties tend to keep their cards close to their chest. A lot of people get really frustrated with our student government members. Like any group, there are cliques, rivalries, and people who don’t get along. But many people I’m friends with are more than willing to help someone out when they need or offer advice. I’ve had a relatively peaceful two years and have made some awesome friends. This is a common theme amongst doctorate programs I’ve been told.

Can any of the current UF students explain UFs curriculum a bit? Are you in class 8-5pm everyday like some schools?

Can any of the current UF students explain UFs curriculum a bit? Are you in class 8-5pm everyday like some schools?
Classes are typically 8am-5pm. Whether or not you go depends on if the classes are required/ if you’re someone who learns by attending in person classes. I personally found it much better for my mental and physical health to watch non-required lectures at home and attend mandatory class and labs in person. First year anatomy is required, so you’ll have to attend every week day in the afternoons at least.

Here’s the current first year spring schedule for example: https://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/wordpress/files/2024/02/1st-year-Spring-2024.pdf

Classes are typically 8am-5pm. Whether or not you go depends on if the classes are required/ if you’re someone who learns by attending in person classes. I personally found it much better for my mental and physical health to watch non-required lectures at home and attend mandatory class and labs in person. First year anatomy is required, so you’ll have to attend every week day in the afternoons at least.

Here’s the current first year spring schedule for example: https://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/wordpress/files/2024/02/1st-year-Spring-2024.pdf
That makes sense, and thank you for sharing the schedule that is very helpful! Are all lectures recorded then?

That makes sense, and thank you for sharing the schedule that is very helpful! Are all lectures recorded then?
No problem! Yes they are! They’re uploaded to the media site directly after each class.

Amazing! Do you know how doable having a pet (specifically a dog) is at UF and/or know of people that do?
I have two dogs. Most people in my class have dogs. On days I’m in class all day they go to daycare, but that’s not often during didactics. On clinics they will probably have to go more.

Does anyone know the likelihood of getting accepted off of the IS waitlist? I know it won't move as much as OOS, but without an actual rank number, I have no clue where I stand.

Does anyone know the likelihood of getting accepted off of the IS waitlist? I know it won't move as much as OOS, but without an actual rank number, I have no clue where I stand.
Same. I have no info on likelihood of getting in.

I’ll be declining an OOS seat. Hope someone gets some good news soon!

Do schools accept the exact number of OOS candidates per seats they have for OOS or a lot more? Curious how much OOS movement there is on waitlists (not UF specifically, just in general)

Please refrain from posting private information on a public forum without consent. This forum is not an appropriate place for documents that were intended to be shared within your university community.

Do schools accept the exact number of OOS candidates per seats they have for OOS or a lot more? Curious how much OOS movement there is on waitlists (not UF specifically, just in general)

I’m not sure about other schools but I know at UF they said they only admit the exact number for both instate and OOS and the rest that they consider is placed on the waitlist. They do not over-admit.

Please refrain from posting private information on a public forum without consent. This forum is not an appropriate place for documents that were intended to be shared within your university community.
Just curious if this is a general reminder or if it is in response to something. Both links that were recently posted were documents readily accessible on the UF website

Just curious if this is a general reminder or if it is in response to something. Both links that were recently posted were documents readily accessible on the UF website

It was in response to posts that were deleted because they had names and email addresses of students listed, not the links you posted.