UH Hilo College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Intekmdma - Just curious, what's your progress on getting your dog ready for inspection?

My dog just got his 2nd rabies vaccine today, and from what I have read, it looks like the earlier you do everything the better. Next up I am going to have his bloodwork done and when the test results come in, I will just send it to the Animal Quarantine Station in HI. After that, it just looks like a waiting game until 2 weeks prior to our departure. Being that I will fly him into Kona, it looks to be a little more complicated.

Members don't see this ad.

Intekmdma - Just curious, what's your progress on getting your dog ready for inspection?

My dog just got his 2nd rabies vaccine today, and from what I have read, it looks like the earlier you do everything the better. Next up I am going to have his bloodwork done and when the test results come in, I will just send it to the Animal Quarantine Station in HI. After that, it just looks like a waiting game until 2 weeks prior to our departure. Being that I will fly him into Kona, it looks to be a little more complicated.

My dog already has 3 rabies vaccinations so that's okay. This next month I'm going to do the rabies titer test. I'm probably going to fly to Honolulu first to make it easier.

I'm in the process of getting the paperwork for my dog signed over (My dog is registered under my ex-girlfriend, this includes the micro-chip too) This is probably the most difficult task haha:laugh:

Hey everyone... here's the skinny:

I am a currently going to school for BS Biology at UTEP but my husband (in military) just reenlisted for Hawaii at Schofield Barracks on Oahu. I have been determined to get into pharmacy school for many years now and I am aware that the pharmacy college is on Hilo and we will be stationed in Oahu = major problem. I am one credit hour shy of being classified as a junior but my main questions are:

1. is there any way to solve the island to island problem being military family?
2. not considering the above questions and based solely off following criteria, what do you think my chances of getting into Hilo would be?

STATS:
BS Biology (junior)
current gpa 3.3
science gpa 3.5
pcat 50
---combat medic in army for 4 years-honorable discharge
---pharmacy tech for 2 years before enrolling back in school
----PTCB certified & already sterile certified
----volunteer at medical facility for American Red Cross 3 hours/week

Members don't see this ad :)
Given that the stats of the admitted classes were as follows: GPA 3.3 and a PCAT of 60. I think you have a chance; and by that, I mean that they will offer you an interview (i'm 80% sure that they will offer you one and given your experience in pharmacy and as a medic I think that you have all the tools you need to nail the interview). As far as flying to/from Honolulu and Hilo, tickets costs about 89$ one way (around 140-180$ for a round trip ticket) and takes about 40 minutes. There are quite a few students at the CoP that fly back and forth between hilo and honolulu every 3 weeks or during any weeks that are generally "exam light." We typically have 1 exam every week (2-3 during some weeks) just in cause you're curious. Given that, weekly commutes to and from hilo and honolulu would be pushing it but it is doable.

Given that the stats of the admitted classes were as follows: GPA 3.3 and a PCAT of 60. I think you have a chance; and by that, I mean that they will offer you an interview (i'm 80% sure that they will offer you one and given your experience in pharmacy and as a medic I think that you have all the tools you need to nail the interview). As far as flying to/from Honolulu and Hilo, tickets costs about 89$ one way (around 140-180$ for a round trip ticket) and takes about 40 minutes. There are quite a few students at the CoP that fly back and forth between hilo and honolulu every 3 weeks or during any weeks that are generally "exam light." We typically have 1 exam every week (2-3 during some weeks) just in cause you're curious. Given that, weekly commutes to and from hilo and honolulu would be pushing it but it is doable.

Thanks Chris! Yeah my husband is in the Army and we are being stationed there next June so since it'll be summer I'm hoping I can get everything squared away before we move out there.

Whoohoo! Had my interview in Vegas last week and just received my acceptance email! I didn't think it would be so quick. I thought I read somewhere that it'd take at least 2 weeks.

Regardless, good luck to everyone else!

I interviewed in Vegas on February 2nd and they sent me and email on the 7th. If any of you have any questions about the interview let me know. And good luck to you all!

Does anybody know when the new planned pharmacy building will be started? completed?

I was quoted that we would be graduating when they begin to build it.

Really? I had Dr. Borris for my interview, and I asked this during my interview. He mentioned that the state should be providing the funds soon (if all goes as planned), and it might be a graduation present for us.

Regardless, I don't plan on using the facilities at all while in their program.. oh well!

Hi.
I will have interview soon. Any tips?

UH hilo is my top choice and I really like to do well!

I only had one interview experience before and it was not so prepared.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Thank you!!!

Anyone going to LV on 24th Feb?

I basically memorized a script and it went very well. In other words, just practice with yourself: think of a question and think of an answer for it. Try to keep your responses to 30 seconds or more. Always avoid short answers. Other than that just relax.

Quick question about tuition, hopefully a P1-P4 student can answer.

I was skimming the UH Hilo website and found that the tuition costs posted on there are drastically different from that of the "2012-2013 Estimated Student Budgets" posted on the accepted students CoP site.

For the one from the UH Hilo site the rates for residents are $9,780/year and a non-resident it is $18,432.

From the accepted students CoP link, it is listed as $18,432 for resident and $35,784 for non-residents.

Which one is correct so I can see how much -$$$ I can expect? :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question about tuition, hopefully a P1-P4 student can answer.

I was skimming the UH Hilo website and found that the tuition costs posted on there are drastically different from that of the "2012-2013 Estimated Student Budgets" posted on the accepted students CoP site.

For the one from the UH Hilo site the rates for residents are $9,780/year and a non-resident it is $18,432.

From the accepted students CoP link, it is listed as $18,432 for resident and $35,784 for non-residents.

Which one is correct so I can see how much -$$$ I can expect? :oops:

Unless I'm on a different page than you, the tuition schedule on UH-Hilo's website states that the tuition costs listed are per semester. I haven't looked at the 'Accepted Students' link recently, but I assume they just calculated the tuition cost for the entire year. I wish tuition was <$10k per year :)

Ah, per semester makes more sense -- and the dagger stays put.

Thanks. :D

Scary... Hm

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

I can definitely empathize with your concerns about those NAPLEX scores; however, those scores were for the class of 2011. The class of 2012 had a 94% pass rate with only 2 students failing. The CoP has imposed several methods to mitigate those low scores and one of those methods is requiring that student pass the pre-NAPLEX prior to sitting for the actual NAPLEX. Additionally, I think the faculty at the CoP are suggesting that P3 take the pre-NAPLEX prior beginning their APPE's (in essence, i believe they are requiring that students take the pre-NAPLEX twice: one after p3 year, and another prior to graduation). As for the building, it has already been included in the governor's executive budget and the only thing we are waiting for is for it to bass both the State house and senate.

check out the video at 0.40, the dean mentions that the class of 2012 had a 94% pass rate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy4LzSmirWs

Thanks so much, thats the type of info I was trying to find.

Hey Everyone!

My name is Kristina (P2), I am an Ambassador at UH HIlo CoP and I am here to answer any questions you have. Sorry I am so late into the month, I was having issues with my account. I'll be doing my best to keep up with posts, but feel free to private message me!

Hi! I was wondering if any current students could tell me a little about student in Hawaii. What are you most happy about with the school? What is your least favorite thing about the school? Anyone who moved to Hawaii from out of state, if you could tell me how you're adjusting? I'm from California and I just need some insights from current students about student life and resources before turning in my deposit. Thanks!

Hi Mushrm!

I am originally from Oahu, but I have been living in Hilo for the past three and a half years (including my undergraduate career). The best thing about the small town lifestyle is that you become a lot closer to your classmates, and you get to know your faculty better than you would at a larger school. I was also very impressed by how much the faculty cares about our opinions. We have a say in what goes on with our education, and they're always open to feedback. In addition, since the school is still new and growing, there are many opportunities for students to contribute to its growth and make their mark. Lastly, since Hilo is a small town, there are many chances to work closely with the community through various health fairs (which different student organizations put together). I can't say what it's like moving from a different state, but about half of the students accepted come from the mainland. I hope this helped!

Hello,

I have been accepted into 2013 Fall, and cannot imagine a better deal than going to school in heavenly Hawai'i.
But the distance and money does make the decision difficult.

I'm interested in doing pharmacy residency and specialize in geriatric or hospice care.
How well does UH prepare or offer assistance to students for residency after the basic Pharm. D?

Also, do you have some tips to save money? I'm international, so have very limited resources to get a job.

Sorry, if I sound critical and superficial. This is important to me.

Hello,

I have been accepted into 2013 Fall, and cannot imagine a better deal than going to school in heavenly Hawai'i.

I'm interested in doing pharmacy residency and specialize in geriatric or hospice care.
How well does UH prepare or offer assistance to students for residency after the basic Pharm. D?

Also, do you have some tips to save money? I'm international, so have very limited resources to get a job.

Where else have you been accepted to.

Where else have you been accepted to.

I got into:

Shenandoah (turned down after accepted)
Palm Beach Atlantic
Hawaii
Still waiting for Denver to respond. I've been waitlisted there :(
And I interview at Butler on March 9.

I'm starting to regret for stopping interviews so early on. (I got into all three in December, so turned down interviews later to save money)
Oh well, I need to get into the mind set that residency eventually depends on my work, not the school.
Just thought environment and faculty assistance is important.

Aloha Everyone!

My name is Jarred and I'm here as an Ambassador of the UHH Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy. I'm currently a P2 here and I'll be monitoring the thread this month. I'll be here to answer any questions you may have about the school, student life, or anything in general.

As for some recent news, a team of CoP Students was recognized as a top team nationwide by the American Association of College of Pharmacy (AACP) for their hard work by awarding them with the Student Community Engaged Service Award! The award-winning project was the Pacific Islander Mobile Screening Clinic which seeks to improve public health and access to people largely from the Marshall Islands through the use of health fairs and wellness clinics.

Again, feel free to post, message me here, or email me at [email protected] if you have any questions or anything.

Thanks,
Jarred

Hello,

Hey hjustin,

Congrats on getting accepted! As far as residencies go, majority of it depends on your personal experience and finding a program that matches you. However, there are various organizations within the school, and I know that they have at least a couple of guest lectures about the residency process. There are also lots of opportunities for community outreach activities since Hilo is small community. The good thing about these organizations is that they're run by students, so if there is something that you want to learn about, you can join an organization and together you can work on coordinating, and using the faculty as resources, you could arrange for more talks about residencies, etc.

Also, in our experiential/rotation program, some of the sites that we go to is at the Aging and Disabilities Resource Center as well as Hospice of Hilo. I thought you might be interested in this because it has an emphasis on geriatrics. One of our professors who works there also specializes in geriatrics.

Hope that helps,
Jarred

I got into:

Shenandoah (turned down after accepted)
Palm Beach Atlantic
Hawaii
Still waiting for Denver to respond. I've been waitlisted there :(
And I interview at Butler on March 9.

I'm starting to regret for stopping interviews so early on. (I got into all three in December, so turned down interviews later to save money)
Oh well, I need to get into the mind set that residency eventually depends on my work, not the school.
Just thought environment and faculty assistance is important.

Denver is good

Hi All,

Interviewed the 21st of February. Has anyone heard anything yet?

Hey Everyone, I'm from the Class of 2016 and I just want to stop by here and hope you guys who want to get in - make it in.

I'm antsy, has anyone from the Feb 21-24 interview dates heard anything?

Still no word. I attended the web seminar yesterday and it was mentioned that it could take a month.

Still no word. I attended the web seminar yesterday and it was mentioned that it could take a month.

Except for the Webinar, no word. I did, however, hear from Kristy on Monday that they expect to have decisions out "later this week". So possibly today or tomorrow!!

Hey everyone for those still waiting to hear back check you emails. I received an email and I am on the Alternate list.

Congratulations to everyone who did get in!

And for those who are on the Alternate list have hope.

Hey everyone for those still waiting to hear back check you emails. I received an email and I am on the Alternate list.

May I ask when you interviewed? Hopefully we all hear back today or tomorrow

:thumbup: That's right, check my sig ;)

Just Got a survey asking why I withdrew.

Did any of you who interviewed 2/21 get an email??

I was wondering where do most students live for their first year?
Any recommendations? I'm seriously considering attending but I'm just worried about the housing situation in terms of proximity to the school, cleanliness, and security.

I was wondering where do most students live for their first year?
Any recommendations? I'm seriously considering attending but I'm just worried about the housing situation in terms of proximity to the school, cleanliness, and security.

Most of us live outside of campus. DON'T LIVE ON CAMPUS...EVER. There's too many undergrads around, it gets filthy, and you're most likely going to dislike that experience the first semester. Try searching in the Facebook group to see if any upperclassmen are searching for a roommate or finding a house with your current classmates.

Oaksen
PS: I thought Jarred was monitoring this forum

Did anyone get a second interview invite via skype? I did but I didn't hear back about scheduling and am wondering if anyone else did.

Most of us live outside of campus. DON'T LIVE ON CAMPUS...EVER. There's too many undergrads around, it gets filthy, and you're most likely going to dislike that experience the first semester. Try searching in the Facebook group to see if any upperclassmen are searching for a roommate or finding a house with your current classmates.

Oaksen
PS: I thought Jarred was monitoring this forum

Thanks for responding. March has been my month to monitor it but I only get around to checking it weekly since most time-sensitive questions go through email or through our faculty. But yeah, if you've been accepted, our staff has been posting some housing opportunities that realtors give to the college to post. Just from observing my class, most people ended up getting housing on their own during the first semester/year, then moving into a house as you get to know each other and who you'd be comfortable living with. Also lots of realtors that have rented out to P3's usually maintain a good rep with pharmacy students and are more likely to want to continue renting out to our students, so you always have that as a possible option.