UNC-Chapel Hill C/O 2017: Fall 2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just had my interview last Thursday (1/17). Some of my friends who were in the first interview group and got in heard back within a week and another in three weeks. Not quite sure how they go about reviewing the people that got interviewed.

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you hear that? They have only had two accepted interview groups, and 1 pending (from last week). Even if they've accepted 100% of the people theyve interviewed, it would be 100 max, and they accept ~135 to Chapel Hill. It would be possible that Chapel Hill campus will be almost filled when they accept the group they interviewed last week though. But people drop, want different campuses, etc so I doubt it's 100% full.

I heard from my friend. But Im not sure! Sorry for the confusion!

At my interview, they said everyone would hear a yes/no/decision pending within 3 weeks.

I interviewed the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and had an email acceptance the Wednesday after.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my interview, they said everyone would hear a yes/no/decision pending within 3 weeks.

I interviewed the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and had an email acceptance the Wednesday after.

I heard back within a week as well.

I was there at 12 and I'm trying not to watch the clock for their response.

I just got an interview invite for Chapel Hill on Feb 12th! So I don't think it's full. But I can't make that date since I have a lab and the professor is anal about people skipping it. Sooooooo, I emailed them that I want March. Hopefully I get a good date like Friday or something since I am from California.

I just got an interview invite for Chapel Hill on Feb 12th! So I don't think it's full. But I can't make that date since I have a lab and the professor is anal about people skipping it. Sooooooo, I emailed them that I want March. Hopefully I get a good date like Friday or something since I am from California.

I think UNC only does Tuesday and Thursday Interviews. Most schools don't do Friday interviews because the faculty and students like to go home and start the weekend at the end of classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed during the morning session on 1/17 and was accepted last Friday. I'm from out of state.

I really got a sense that UNC has a strong program, but that it's extremely difficult to get residency status for in-state tuition. The student ambassador that I talked to also indicated that people were pretty competitive. At 44k/year and 3,000 miles away from home, I'm still weighing my options. If I were from North Carolina, I'd probably attend in a heartbeat!

I also interviewed during the morning session on 1/17 and was accepted last Friday. I'm from out of state.

I really got a sense that UNC has a strong program, but that it's extremely difficult to get residency status for in-state tuition. The student ambassador that I talked to also indicated that people were pretty competitive. At 44k/year and 3,000 miles away from home, I'm still weighing my options. If I were from North Carolina, I'd probably attend in a heartbeat!

Congrats!

I don't know who you talked to... but I have a few good friends who are PY1s and I've heard differently. They say that people are able to get in-state tuition after their first year. 80% of people are approved, and those who are not are able to appeal it and typically will get it upon appealing. As far as competitiveness. One of my friends stated that his class is surprisingly uncompetitive and is close and supportive--but that varies on the year.

I'm really leaning towards UNC. I've been accepted to a few programs, but I think it's down between UNC and another public institution. To me, it is worth it to go a public institution such a great reputation and networking possibilities for that price. And there are only 3 total pharmacy schools in NC which is better for the students compared to other states that have 5 or 6.

Congrats!

I don't know who you talked to... but I have a few good friends who are PY1s and I've heard differently. They say that people are able to get in-state tuition after their first year. 80% of people are approved, and those who are not are able to appeal it and typically will get it upon appealing. As far as competitiveness. One of my friends stated that his class is surprisingly uncompetitive and is close and supportive--but that varies on the year.

I'm really leaning towards UNC. I've been accepted to a few programs, but I think it's down between UNC and another public institution. To me, it is worth it to go a public institution such a great reputation and networking possibilities for that price. And there are only 3 total pharmacy schools in NC which is better for the students compared to other states that have 5 or 6.

I guess it really just all comes down to who you talk to! Whenever the residency issue came up, I felt like they just kept referring to the "32 page manual" that outlines the steps you have to take. No one had a straight answer, which was what led me to believe that it's probably pretty difficult to get it. The student I talked to about competitiveness was a P2, so you're probably right that it just depends on the class.

UNC definitely has a great reputation, and North Carolina has been a state with progressive pharmacy practice. There would be a lot advantages in attending, but I'm just not sure it was a good fit for me!

Just curious if anyone has been put on hold? I saw a bunch of people were on hold since the first interview last year but it doesn't seem like anyone is this year?

Did anybody else get the Certiphi background check email? I haven't gotten anything from UNC but I've only interviewed there (1/17 second session) and I got the Certiphi email on Saturday night telling me I've been conditionally accepted to a SOP. Does that mean I'm in?

I guess it really just all comes down to who you talk to! Whenever the residency issue came up, I felt like they just kept referring to the "32 page manual" that outlines the steps you have to take. No one had a straight answer, which was what led me to believe that it's probably pretty difficult to get it. The student I talked to about competitiveness was a P2, so you're probably right that it just depends on the class.

UNC definitely has a great reputation, and North Carolina has been a state with progressive pharmacy practice. There would be a lot advantages in attending, but I'm just not sure it was a good fit for me!

When I interviewed at UNC, one of the advisor said that "some OOS student applied for in-state residency and some even got it" Implying that most OOS student do not apply for residency and even for those who applied, the ones who were granted residency were in the minority. The advisor simply told us to refer to the thirty-some page manual.

I know someone who got residency at UNC after several fail attempts and he only got it because he had relatives in the state and his fiancee is a NC resident. He had keep of record of every time he left NC. Basically, you will not be granted residency if your only objective is to get in-state tuition. You will need several other legitimate reasons and this is stated in the manual.

So if you plan to go to UNC, anticipate that you will pay the full OOS tution all four years.

Did anybody else get the Certiphi background check email? I haven't gotten anything from UNC but I've only interviewed there (1/17 second session) and I got the Certiphi email on Saturday night telling me I've been conditionally accepted to a SOP. Does that mean I'm in?

I didn't get my Certiphi email until after I had been accepted. (Probably about 2-3 weeks after my interview date.)

Has anyone who interviewed 1/17 in the second session been accepted?

What email address did it come from? I know for a fact that some of my email is not coming through so this is frustrating.

North Carolina, University of [[email protected]]

Also, you'll get a paper copy in the mail within a week of the email, so just be checking your mail regularly.

Yeah it's especially confusing since I got the background check email. I called them, they referred me to the director of admissions but I haven't been able to reach them yet.

For those of you who've been accepted- how long did it take for you to receive the actual letter & information in the mail after you received the acceptance e-mail?

Also, did you get any type of confirmation from their office saying that they received your enrollment deposit?

A week-ish. Might have been 9 days.

My form got there around the 5th of December, and I got a confirmation on the 13th.

For those who are current students who have gained residency, does living in student housing affect the decision? Does it look better for the residency application to live in a house or something?

I am so excited that I got an interview invite from UNC!! I really like this school!! I would really appreciate any help from those interviewed! How is the process and what kind of question do they ask?
Thanks again and good luck to everyone!
:oops::love:

For those of you who've been accepted- how long did it take for you to receive the actual letter & information in the mail after you received the acceptance e-mail?

Also, did you get any type of confirmation from their office saying that they received your enrollment deposit?

My Deposit check was r/c on 11/27/2012 and not cashed until 1/6/2013. I did r/c a notification but only after I e-mailed them. It will take them a while to process your enrollment. Don't worry though, just send all your mail with signature confirmation.

I also mailed in all of my transcripts in December and had not heard from them as to whether they were r/c or not.

My Deposit check was r/c on 11/27/2012 and not cashed until 1/6/2013. I did r/c a notification but only after I e-mailed them. It will take them a while to process your enrollment. Don't worry though, just send all your mail with signature confirmation.

I also mailed in all of my transcripts in December and had not heard from them as to whether they were r/c or not.
Did we need to send transcripts to them directly? I completed the Academic Update on PharmCAS but didn't realize we need to send them to the school now.

Did we need to send transcripts to them directly? I completed the Academic Update on PharmCAS but didn't realize we need to send them to the school now.

In addition to doing the acedemic update UNC does require that all transcripts (and official AP reports) be sent to them at

UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy
PharmD Admissions
CB#7566
109H Beard Hall
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7566

And just an FYI the AP test score report is $25.

I decided to give up my spot at UNC. Good luck to all applicants!

Decisions are out. Is it true the Chapel Hill campus is full?

:D:p:love::laugh:I'm so happy that I am accepted. My interview was only ten minutes. I was so worried.

Anyone else from February 12th sessions or recent get an email saying admissions is still reviewing their application?

Really hoping for an acceptance email to come my way!! UNC (main) is the only place I want to go for several reasons!

Best of luck to all! :luck:
-B

Decisions are out. Is it true the Chapel Hill campus is full?

The last day of interviews is March 7th. I got an interview for Chapel Hill that I have to turn down.

The last day of interviews is March 7th. I got an interview for Chapel Hill that I have to turn down.

Well, all three campuses interview at Chapel Hill, unless specially arranged.

I would like to know what were your stats that helped you get into UNC?

I received acceptance 3 days ago. Surprised it almost took them two weeks to do so.

I would like to know what were your stats that helped you get accepted into UNC? I'm looking to apply to UNC in two years.

yeah, i'll be there, I hope. afternoon section.
plan to fly in the morning, and fly back after the interview.
anyone with experience from/to the airport in raleigh?

yeah, i'll be there, I hope. afternoon section.
plan to fly in the morning, and fly back after the interview.
anyone with experience from/to the airport in raleigh?

No experience to and from the airport, but I'm renting a car for the trip and will be driving there after the interview ends around 3 and possibly the campus tour. You can hitch a ride with me and chip in a couple of dollars for gas or something, which is probably cheaper than taking a cab. :)

No experience to and from the airport, but I'm renting a car for the trip and will be driving there after the interview ends around 3 and possibly the campus tour. You can hitch a ride with me and chip in a couple of dollars for gas or something, which is probably cheaper than taking a cab. :)
Thanks for the offer, but my interview is scheduled to finish at 5:15.
Good luck on the interview!

Just got my email acceptance today for Chapel Hill campus!!! So excited! I had my interview back in mid December, but I got bumped to "decision pending" status. I'm so happy to finally get my acceptance!

Omg congrats did you end up going to the interview?

Just got my acceptance to the Asheville campus! I am considering opting for the Chapel Hill waiting list, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me about what living in Asheville is like. I am out-of-state, so I am also concerned about transportation in Asheville since I was not planning on bringing a car. I have heard that there is a great bus system in Chapel Hill, but I don't know about Asheville. Also, will Asheville students be required to travel to the main campus very often? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I'd suggest you contact Mr. David Mitchell of the Asheville campus. I was in the same situation. He scheduled a visit for me to Asheville to meet the students and check out the facility. Great place. Lots to do. But I had to choose.

Good luck.