University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G8T0RGRL00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is University of Florida application thread for 2011-2012 cycle. (Entering class year of 2012 = graduating class of 2016)

U of F is my top choice :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Mine too! Have you submit your PharmCAS application yet? I'm almost done with my personal statement. Do you know if we can start our supplemental before our actual PharmCAS is sent in?

Mine too! Have you submit your PharmCAS application yet? I'm almost done with my personal statement. Do you know if we can start our supplemental before our actual PharmCAS is sent in?

Yay! Hopefully we'll be classmates next year :D I haven't submitted my PharmCAS yet because I am still editing my personal statement and am asking around for the letter of recommendations :scared:
I am not sure if you can start the supplemental before PharmCAS but don't quote me on it :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
This is so exciting! :) Which campus are you applying to? Orlando is my first choice.

I ended up researching it and we CAN start the other parts of UF application without submitting PharmCAS first. This way we don't have to wait on our letter writers ;) The application to apply to UF professional schools opens August 8th (I thinkkk) but the supplemental for pharmacy school is already available here: http://copnt13.cop.ufl.edu/ned/formgen/ppe12.htm

Good luck with the rest of your app! Yayy!

This is so exciting! :) Which campus are you applying to? Orlando is my first choice.

I ended up researching it and we CAN start the other parts of UF application without submitting PharmCAS first. This way we don't have to wait on our letter writers ;) The application to apply to UF professional schools opens August 8th (I thinkkk) but the supplemental for pharmacy school is already available here: http://copnt13.cop.ufl.edu/ned/formgen/ppe12.htm

Good luck with the rest of your app! Yayy!

:thumbup:
Wow this is great! Thank you:D My first choice is Gainesville campus though :eek: Good luck to you too!

Hey guys I applied to UF and my pharmcas is already submitted. I just looked at the link for the UF supplemental and wow that is a lot of essays!!!!!

For PharmCAS Pharmacy Designations, what did you all select or are going to select? Are we supposed to select all four of the campuses? Or just the ones we wouldn't mind attending?

For PharmCAS Pharmacy Designations, what did you all select or are going to select? Are we supposed to select all four of the campuses? Or just the ones we wouldn't mind attending?

I just selected all four campuses just in case. I personally wouldn't mind going to either one as long as I got in. We also can indicate a preference on the supplemental so as long as it's in their application I think it'd be more important like that anyway.

Hey, all! I will be applying for the fall of 2012 and I wanted some advice about applying. I first wanted to start off by saying I am out of state which I already know puts me at a disadvantage (I live in GA, I'm a UGA Bulldawg :cool: ), but it's definitely worth a shot, right? I wanted to share my credentials and see if you guys think I should even apply at all.

3.91 cumulative GPA (3.96ish science GPA)
85 PCAT
I will be a third year in the fall (No bachelors)
Will have had 4-5 months pharmacy experience job shadowing and will keep continuing (currently doing so) and planning on getting pharm tech certified by the time I apply
1 year of research experience, finished & published my thesis
Havent done THAT much extracurriculars aside from HSA & other small events (hispanic student association) and several (4-6) projects with them, but planning on getting more involved in the fall
I'm Hispanic and fluent in English and Spanish and very proficient in French (minoring)

I'm going to submit my application probably by the end of August so that I can include the extracurriculars that I will be doing this semester as well as the pharm tech certification.

I am planning on having a pharmacist where I intern write me a LOR (she told me she would write me an "outstanding" letter, so I think I nailed that one) as well as my research coordinator (so I'd have two fairly solid LOR's)

So, do you guys think the ''out of state'' title in my application deteriorates alot from the rest? I also really don't want to retake the PCAT although I read that they consider 85+ for out of state. I plan on applying SUPER early so like that my application can be one of the first that is reviewed (late August). I know that its really expensive for us out-of-staters (~40k/yr) but 1-it's top 10, so it'd be a great investment and 2-it's FLORIDA! duh! haha :)

Hi! I'm also applying to UF as my top choice school. I live in Tampa, so I really want to go to the St Pete campus, because I wont have to move and plus its UF!!!

How did everyone do on their PCATs? I took the July 27th exam and got a 95 composite. Do you know if the preliminary score they gave you at the testing center will be different than the official score (besides having the writing score)? I keep having nightmares that there was some big mistake....:scared:

Where did everyone go for undergrad? I went to Georgia State for my bachelors and then did my pre-req's at USF. I know USF's pharm program starts next fall but I cant stand that school....

I wish everyone good luck! Hopefully we'll all be sporting UF COP gear this time next year!! :)

So, do you guys think the ''out of state'' title in my application deteriorates alot from the rest? I also really don't want to retake the PCAT although I read that they consider 85+ for out of state. I plan on applying SUPER early so like that my application can be one of the first that is reviewed (late August). I know that its really expensive for us out-of-staters (~40k/yr) but 1-it's top 10, so it'd be a great investment and 2-it's FLORIDA! duh! haha :)[/QUOTE]

You're stats sound really great! I read somewhere that they only accept 1 or 2 out of state students per year, but your GPA and letters and other stuff seem really strong. Im sure the bilingual thing is a big plus! Besides, you've got time on your side since you're just starting your junior year....

So, do you guys think the ''out of state'' title in my application deteriorates alot from the rest? I also really don't want to retake the PCAT although I read that they consider 85+ for out of state. I plan on applying SUPER early so like that my application can be one of the first that is reviewed (late August). I know that its really expensive for us out-of-staters (~40k/yr) but 1-it's top 10, so it'd be a great investment and 2-it's FLORIDA! duh! haha :)

You're stats sound really great! I read somewhere that they only accept 1 or 2 out of state students per year, but your GPA and letters and other stuff seem really strong. Im sure the bilingual thing is a big plus! Besides, you've got time on your side since you're just starting your junior year....[/QUOTE]

1-2 students? Wow, that's tough! I'm going to be 1 of those 2 students, then! Haha I was reading on their profile from Pharmcas and I saw that they had accepted ~23 out of 300 students which is almost close to 10%. Their website also said that they admitted ~5-10% out of state so that statistic seemed right to me. I guess I'll go incredibly MIA this semester as I try to strengthen my app as much as possible! And I saw that you went to GA State, you were relatively close to me then! Also one more thing..on the application itself it said to explain any misconduct that caused probation, etc and I've never had any of that happen but I actually did end up having my license suspended for six months because of two VERY stupid (speeding, yielding) tickets before the age of 18. It's not like I was committing crimes or robbing banks or anything so even though I have to tell them that it shouldn't be too much a problem, right? :xf:

[/B]
Also one more thing..on the application itself it said to explain any misconduct that caused probation, etc and I've never had any of that happen but I actually did end up having my license suspended for six months because of two VERY stupid (speeding, yielding) tickets before the age of 18. It's not like I was committing crimes or robbing banks or anything so even though I have to tell them that it shouldn't be too much a problem, right? :xf:

This section was on the application to the University of Florida, right? You're right, you definitely need to be up front with them but it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure when you tell them, you take full responsibility for it and don't call it "stupid" ;) You sound like a great applicant so one bump in the past shouldn't stand in your way. Good luck :)

Regarding the tickets and suspended license, you'll be totally fine. Im sure they expect to see stuff like that. They were kids once too! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
@LS12345 & @danibella *takes a breather* whew lol yeah, you guys are right. It's no biggie. Best of luck to everyone in the application process!

What's the character limit on those essay questions? And about how long do you guys make each one of them?

What's the character limit on those essay questions? And about how long do you guys make each one of them?

On the supplemental essays, they limit you to 150 words instead of characters. It ends up being a decently sized paragraph, maybe 5 sentences.

Hi! I'm also applying to UF as my top choice school. I live in Tampa, so I really want to go to the St Pete campus, because I wont have to move and plus its UF!!!

How did everyone do on their PCATs? I took the July 27th exam and got a 95 composite. Do you know if the preliminary score they gave you at the testing center will be different than the official score (besides having the writing score)? I keep having nightmares that there was some big mistake....:scared:

Where did everyone go for undergrad? I went to Georgia State for my bachelors and then did my pre-req's at USF. I know USF's pharm program starts next fall but I cant stand that school....

I wish everyone good luck! Hopefully we'll all be sporting UF COP gear this time next year!! :)

Found this in the PCAT discussion thread
Just talked with a Pearson rep on the phone. I asked her about the preliminary scores and whether or not they were a good representation of the actual scores. She said it would be "a very,very, rare circumstance that the preliminary score would be anything different than the final score" and that "frankly, the preliminary score is your final score".

So there you have it folks!

Great job with your score:thumbup:

WOW, that supplemental killed me, an hour and a half of essay writing.

UF Orlando Campus is my top choice, and I have everything submitted! How many different schools is everyone applying to? I have a 3.54 science gpa, 3.7 overall, and 93 PCAT, so based on people I know that are in UF's program, I think I have a good shot, but of course I want backups, I just don't know how many to apply to..

UF Orlando Campus is my top choice, and I have everything submitted! How many different schools is everyone applying to? I have a 3.54 science gpa, 3.7 overall, and 93 PCAT, so based on people I know that are in UF's program, I think I have a good shot, but of course I want backups, I just don't know how many to apply to..

I have very similar stat (3.7 cumulative, 3.5 science, 92 PCAT) and my top choice is UF too! (Gainesville campus though) Are you Florida resident? How about applying to NOVA, LECOM, Palm Beach, USF and maybe FAMU?

Woot

Hi everyone!! Congrats on getting this far and actually applying for grad school, UF is an AWESOME choice. I am currently a 1PD at UF and have been in your shoes just a year ago. If you have any questions about the application process don't hesitate to PM me. My best advice is to apply EARLY!! Good luck to everyone :)

I have very similar stat (3.7 cumulative, 3.5 science, 92 PCAT) and my top choice is UF too! (Gainesville campus though) Are you Florida resident? How about applying to NOVA, LECOM, Palm Beach, USF and maybe FAMU?
Ok, I think I am going to apply to LECOM and NOVA, possibly FAMU. I'm also re-applying to South University in GA, since they did accept me last year, but I didn't go (long story). Unfortunately I was unaware that some schools require biochem as a prereq, and I haven't taken that, so I don't think I can apply to USF or Palm Beach.

Hi everyone, I'm brand new here, I thought I'd post my scores from yesterday, I'm a little disappointed I didn't reach an 80 but did well in the Biology and Chemistry sections, do pharmacy schools (like UF) look at those individual scores a little?

VA 416/73
Bio 425/84
RC 411/63
QA 402/45
Chem 434/88
Composite: 77

I'm a UF preprofessional biology major and have about a 3.15 science GPA, 3.3 overall, but I am a pharmacy volunteer, a TA, and am involved with my pre-pharmacy club, and have one letter of rec from an anatomy professor I got an A with and one from my supervisor at the hospital pharmacy I volunteer at (Shands) who is a certified pharmacy technician. Does anyone think my record is good enough for getting into UF and/or USF? I didn't think it would be much help to retake the PCAT again, last year my composite was a 67, so I'm happy I improved (also, do we have the same PCAT CID from a year ago if I took it last October, and if PharmCAS keeps those scores and sends them to the schools? I don't know if that were true and if that would help or hinder my application). Thanks, I was hoping to get an 80 but I wasn't too far off, but still :( I'm a little intimidated by everyone's higher GPAs and PCATs, but UF is number one on my list too!

Hi All!

For anyone who is interested, open house for each campus is coming up soon. Most are in the month of October. I highly recommend attending an open house at either of the campuses because it gives you a good insight into what the program is like! I am a current 1PD at the Orlando campus and our open house is October 13 :) You can go to the UF COP for more details. Come out and join us! Good luck with the applications.

Hi everyone, I'm brand new here, I thought I'd post my scores from yesterday, I'm a little disappointed I didn't reach an 80 but did well in the Biology and Chemistry sections, do pharmacy schools (like UF) look at those individual scores a little?

VA 416/73
Bio 425/84
RC 411/63
QA 402/45
Chem 434/88
Composite: 77

I'm a UF preprofessional biology major and have about a 3.15 science GPA, 3.3 overall, but I am a pharmacy volunteer, a TA, and am involved with my pre-pharmacy club, and have one letter of rec from an anatomy professor I got an A with and one from my supervisor at the hospital pharmacy I volunteer at (Shands) who is a certified pharmacy technician. Does anyone think my record is good enough for getting into UF and/or USF? I didn't think it would be much help to retake the PCAT again, last year my composite was a 67, so I'm happy I improved (also, do we have the same PCAT CID from a year ago if I took it last October, and if PharmCAS keeps those scores and sends them to the schools? I don't know if that were true and if that would help or hinder my application). Thanks, I was hoping to get an 80 but I wasn't too far off, but still :( I'm a little intimidated by everyone's higher GPAs and PCATs, but UF is number one on my list too!

Do not be discouraged by your PCAT score! I took the PCAT only once and was accepted with a composite score of 80. They do look at each individual score and they weigh heavily on the chem/bio/quant sections. UF looks at more than just scores and GPA's so if you have a good resume and excellent personal statement your chances are still very good!

Do I need to take the TOFEL for UF?

I wasn't born here but went to school all my life here. My whole family are US citizens.

I don't want to pay $150 for something I don't need.

Hi All!

For anyone who is interested, open house for each campus is coming up soon. Most are in the month of October. I highly recommend attending an open house at either of the campuses because it gives you a good insight into what the program is like! I am a current 1PD at the Orlando campus and our open house is October 13 :) You can go to the UF COP for more details. Come out and join us! Good luck with the applications.

Thank you so much for this info! I just RSVP'ed for Gainesville campus open house :)

P.S. your username :thumbup: I swear I didn't copy you :laugh:

does UF send any email in regards to them recieving any of the application pieces?

does UF send any email in regards to them recieving any of the application pieces?

I don't think they do. According to the UF CoP website "It is the applicant's responsibility to make sure the College of Pharmacy Office for Student Affairs has received all the application materials." So maybe be send an e-mail to UF CoP regarding the status of your application.

Hey guys- If you have any questions for UF COP admissions I suggest registering for and participating in the virtual fair that's going on today. You can join a chat room and talk with current admissions staff. It was really helpful!

Here is the link:

http://aacp.careereco.net/

:thumbup:

Hey Guys!

Okay so I turned in every part of my application and UF received it about 2 weeks ago..

I called UF admissions and she told me the status of my application was "committee is currently in process of reviewing"

I thought they didn't look at them until November :/? So turn in your apps if they are looking at them already :) and I'll post something if I happen to hear anything back this month!

Hey Guys!

Okay so I turned in every part of my application and UF received it about 2 weeks ago..

I called UF admissions and she told me the status of my application was "committee is currently in process of reviewing"

I thought they didn't look at them until November :/? So turn in your apps if they are looking at them already :) and I'll post something if I happen to hear anything back this month!

I attended the virtual fair and spoke with an admissions counselor from UF, and she said that they are already reviewing applications! They have already received about 100 applications, and out of those so far they have 20 that are complete and competitive.

They are trying to figure out their interview dates for this cycle, and the first interviews may even be as early as December this year if it works with everyone's schedules. Once they have those dates they will be sending out interview invites, so it could be any time now! :thumbup:

Ahhhh and the sleepless nights begin!

Good luck to everyone! :)
Thanks so much for letting me know they really are already reviewing applications...so much hard work in school and now our future is in the committee's hands! scary stuff :/

Haha but I'm sure everybody will be great. Can't wait to (hopefully) be in the class of 2016 with some of you! :D

E-mail :) The interview is at the Gainesvillecampus. My assigned location is the Orlando camus. December 1st! Woot woot!

Last edited:
I received an email from them requesting more info and saying they are waiting for my fall semester grades.

I received an email from them requesting more info and saying they are waiting for my fall semester grades.

That's good! You probably still have a good chance then. If you don't mind me asking, what was your Pharmcas science gpa and PCAT score?

E-mail :) The interview is at the Gainesvillecampus. My assigned location is the Orlando camus. December 1st! Woot woot!

Congrats!! I am at the Orlando campus now as a 1PD and I also interviewed in Gainesville. If you have any questions please let me know :) I guess the applicant pool is tough this year since they moved up interview dates a whole month earlier than last year.

Congratulations olivelaughlove! :thumbup:

Could you possibly post your stats so the rest of us can see where we stand in getting an early interview invite!?