University of Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the info brochure from the vet school bookstore today. I was so excited and then it says we cant access the book list unti July 15th. So, I figured last years list was probably still up and I could look at that, but the password didnt work. Im I doing it wrong. Or does the password not work until July 15th as well? And the waiting continues......

Members don't see this ad.

On another note, has anyone who is not a previous UGA student been able to set up their myUGA account or OASIS? I still dont have access.

Don't buy your books before you get to vet school. You will not need most things on the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the brochure and like you, I was very excited.
SOme of the doctors I work with say that I should not buy anything before orientation starts. I am not sure. I am very anxious and nervous....

Hi

I am pretty sure you can set up your myuga account by using your last name and social security number. I already did it and I have never been a uga student before. Good luck. Oasis can be a pain since you have to update your information constantly and the thing just works differently....

Hello projekt

Do you know if we need instruments or other stuff (gloves, scrubs, etc) for fall semester ( when you just start?) Any tip, advice, or warning is highly appreciated. Thank you

Quick question I was wondering: Is tuition divided in half per semester or do you pay the full amount for the year at the beginning of fall semester?

Lenmaca I was wondering the same thing. Also does anyone know? My FA award statement classified me as OS. Do they do that just in case your contract state does not fullfill their contract agreements as stated in the acceptance letter. I guess I need to contact FA dept?

UGA CVM admissions emailed me and said they *believe* we pay by semester, but to check with UGA Student Accounts.

Somehow, I see Student Accounts telling me to talk to the vet school, hmm...:rolleyes:

It would seem more prudent to pay per semester. What if you flunked out first semester-then you would have to owe back all that tuition. And I think I remember someone saying last year, that they put their loan balance into a high interest savings account pending the following semesters tuition payment to earn a little extra cash. So thats probably right. Now if I can just find out about the contract seat thing.

Tuition: so far, we've been paying per semester.

Instruments: You can buy these at GVESS inexpensively.

Stethoscope: I would recommend finding a stethoscope you like now because GVESS doesn't gets the same prices as you can find from online discounters. Buying one in a store will probably cost 20% more. GVESS also works only with 3M Littman, so you may like the others better. Bring an animal when you shop because stethos are different on veterinary animals. A word of warning: Allheart.com has poor service.

Gloves: Buy a case of 10 boxes of gloves you like at Sam's club or whatever. You won't regret it.

Scrubs: if you find cheap ones that are comfortable, get them. Ciel blue is the color students wear, but in the anatomy lab color doesn't matter. I was given a "free" scrub top at orientation.

Last edited:
It would seem more prudent to pay per semester. What if you flunked out first semester-then you would have to owe back all that tuition. And I think I remember someone saying last year, that they put their loan balance into a high interest savings account pending the following semesters tuition payment to earn a little extra cash. So thats probably right. Now if I can just find out about the contract seat thing.

Weird. You get your loan money after it is used to pay your tuition. But you can have it earning interest while you aren't spending it.

Im seriously confused over the whole UGA parking system. Exactly when will I know If I have a parking spot? And if I dont....what will I do? I have to take kids to school in the am, so THE BUS is not an option. Do alot of students commute, walk bike or is it really not as ominous as it all sounds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im seriously confused over the whole UGA parking system. Exactly when will I know If I have a parking spot? And if I dont....what will I do? I have to take kids to school in the am, so THE BUS is not an option. Do alot of students commute, walk bike or is it really not as ominous as it all sounds.

I think it's based on the priority system and luck, etc. You should call them and tell them your situation, but I don't know if it will help. Most vet students start the year with a parking pass, and the remainder find one eventually. Sign up for S14, S15 and S16, and if you don't get it, look for other spots in other lots.

I did this already and lot S17 as well, but I understand that is typically faculty. But it still says Im waitlisted. So, does that mean Im truely waitlisted or they just havent finalized all the permits yet?

You basically just log into the UGA parking services website and choose the lots in which you would like to park, in the order from most preferred to least preferred. You can find a parking lot map on the lot selection page that will allow you to see the assigned priorities and the monthly costs of the lots.
I think the first round of lot assignments begins in early July, so make sure you have your lots chosen before then. They will notify you via email when you have been assigned a lot and will give you information on picking up your permit (or they might mail it to you).
You can find more information under the Parking Information tab of their website.
I am currently grandfathered into E01, however it takes two buses from that lot to get to the vet school, or a pretty long walk, so I'm trying to get a spot in S14, the closest and cheapest.

It's very common to see bikers/walkers/scooters. Personally, I've tried biking, but Athens is really hilly and it's not fun when it's 95+ degrees outside.

The thing that worries me is that the priority system says its based on registered hours and I havent been able to register yet because they still have not lifted my immunization holds. UGH!

I think the first round of lot assignments begins in early July, so make sure you have your lots chosen before then. They will notify you via email when you have been assigned a lot and will give you information on picking up your permit (or they might mail it to you).

Okay this is what I was wondering because the website says that permits are assigned in the Spring! :eek: and I was thinking great Im totally screwed. Okay, I can take a breathe and :xf: along with everyone else....well except for the registration issue.

There hasnt been a single applicant post on here since last year. Cum on people, there has to be some potential dawgs out there...dont be shy!
Seriously, Im not a big football fan but you will need some key courses before coming to UGA

Pre UGA-CVM orientation:
101-Tailgating Terminology 101
102- Key to using your BBQ meats to study anatomy while tailgating
103- Most efficient routes from the anatomy/ histo lab to OTS tailgate.
104- How to sweet talk your way to a parking space by the anatomy lab on gameday
...... and last but not least
105- Effective networking (or how to match up with people who look like you so you can "loan" your student ID to people who really want to see the game.
(okay nobody acutally does this ;);))

Last edited:
**bump**

FYI The GA state legislature voted to approved the funds needed to build the new UGA teaching hospital--HOORAY! Ground breaking should start by 2013.

**bump**

FYI The GA state legislature voted to approved the funds needed to build the new UGA teaching hospital--HOORAY! Ground breaking should start by 2013.

Really? I haven't heard anything about this. I know the Governor agreed to put the line in his proposal.

**Bump**

For all those getting news today and through this week!:D:luck::love:

It's still sinking in that I really got in!!!!! :D I was planning on going to the C/O 2015 Visitation Day for accepted applicants, but I just realized I have an exam in a class from 11-12. The time listed for the event is from 9:30am-3:30pm, so would I miss anything or is it more like a just-stop-by-whenever thing. This is probably a silly question but I was really looking forward to the Visitation Day.

It's still sinking in that I really got in!!!!! :D I was planning on going to the C/O 2015 Visitation Day for accepted applicants, but I just realized I have an exam in a class from 11-12. The time listed for the event is from 9:30am-3:30pm, so would I miss anything or is it more like a just-stop-by-whenever thing. This is probably a silly question but I was really looking forward to the Visitation Day.

Hmmm, call Laura Leigh and tell her your situation. I think they have planned events (usually like a meet and greet, speech from the dean, Q&A, and then a tour after lunch) but that was last year, and she would be the best to know what you would miss and if it would still be worth coming in the afternoon. Don't forget about open house the first Fri in April..they give tours then too.

I know it's not for vet school, but I'm still pretty excited to ve starting pre-vet at UGA this fall :laugh:

I was wondering if anyone knew a location, in/near athens, to volunteer in order to obtain large animal experience.