University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You wouldn't be able to put a transcript into an envelope yourself, but if you request a sealed copy and just stick the envelope inside another envelope it should be okay.

At the rate my school is taking to process my everything I may have to overnight mine. They billed me earlier than they did last year so when I went to request transcripts on the day I got the invite, I was all "hello financial hold" (my account needs to be fully paid to request them)

:( my tuition waiver from my job isn't even here yet. That'll be like 80% of my bill. Oh well...I'll find a way to get it in time

Members don't see this ad.

So it turns out I messed up and accidentally clicked to send an electronic copy (which they do not accept), so I resent another request as a paper copy. If anyone had requested a transcript a while ago and have yet to see their portal updated, make sure it was a paper copy!

Ummm what? I've been doing this the entire application cycle and mine have been treated as official by everyone. I have the school mail them to me, then I stick that envelope into a 2day USPS envelope and send it with tracking so that I can be 100% sure it arrived in time. VMCAS as well as 3 of the schools I've had to send fall transcripts to have been accepting this just fine.
I've done the same thing as you. I have 6 different schools I've taken courses at and I have 3 different schools I've had courses at from this fall alone. I've had all of my transcripts sent to me in sealed/signed envelopes and sent them off in one big envelope to make it easier. No one has had a problem with them and I applied to a lot of schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Geez. I can get as many copies of my transcript sent to me or directly to other schools (I don't have to play middleman) for free. I can't believe there are schools who charge you for your own academic records. Sometimes higher education really pisses me off.

Okay, more often than sometimes...

Are you talking about my stuff? I get mine for free too, with the stipulation that there isn't a balance on my university account. They billed me two weeks earlier for tuition than they have in the past so that's what I'm waiting on. I talked to the grad office though. Sounds like my waiver will come through on Monday. Yay!

The charges I've seen for other universities are outrageous though. $16 for a piece of paper showing the coursework you've done is terrible.

What schools are requiring us to send in our fall transcripts. I believe Illinois is the only one for me. What are any others?

It really varies and I wouldn't know off the top of my head. You should contact each school to see. Some want them, some saY you can just send one after the Spring semester. Illinois definitely wants them, so be sure to get them in by February 1.

Are you talking about my stuff? I get mine for free too, with the stipulation that there isn't a balance on my university account. They billed me two weeks earlier for tuition than they have in the past so that's what I'm waiting on. I talked to the grad office though. Sounds like my waiver will come through on Monday. Yay!

The charges I've seen for other universities are outrageous though. $16 for a piece of paper showing the coursework you've done is terrible.

Both my state universities charged me $16 for every transcript I requested. I've spent about $60 for pieces of paper...because the thousands I've paid in tuition isn't enough to cover a couple pieces of paper and some printer ink.

It's absolutely preposterous

Both my state universities charged me $16 for every transcript I requested. I've spent about $60 for pieces of paper...because the thousands I've paid in tuition isn't enough to cover a couple pieces of paper and some printer ink.

It's absolutely preposterous

That's terrible! Sadly... I can see the argument they made... Kind of. When university departments do something like that they usually excuse it as a way of deterring students from requesting unneeded transcripts. Of course, the argument is bs. I can see maybe charging a dollar or two to offse postage and printer maintenance. $16 is just outrageous.

We had a similar situation where the health center on campus stopped providing notes for students who needed to miss class. They wanted students to use a self-reporting method instead. Their excuse was that they were inundated by students who weren't actually sick asking for notes.

As an instructor, how am I supposed to verify whether or no I can give students make-ups and excuse accommodations? I have 100+ students. I can't just take their word for it. If you have someone abusing the system, take away their privileges. Don't screw over the 90% of students who need something that should be a routine service.

Ummm what? I've been doing this the entire application cycle and mine have been treated as official by everyone. I have the school mail them to me, then I stick that envelope into a 2day USPS envelope and send it with tracking so that I can be 100% sure it arrived in time. VMCAS as well as 3 of the schools I've had to send fall transcripts to have been accepting this just fine.
VMCAS apparently likes you because when I had them sent to me and then put both of the the unopened transcripts and the tracking thing they recommended you to have with it, they refused to take mine as official. They told me they didn't take it because it was mailed to me first, but that was the first year the VMCAS ever did transcripts so maybe they've changed it. All I know is that I was not happy.

Reactions: 1 user

IT'S INSANE. Those are YOUR records. It literally takes someone two minutes to pull you up in the computer, type in the address to send it, and have it printed out with an envelope and sent.

:mad:

VMCAS apparently likes you because when I had them sent to me and then put both of the the unopened transcripts and the tracking thing they recommended you to have with it, they refused to take mine as official. They told me they didn't take it because it was mailed to me first, but that was the first year the VMCAS ever did transcripts so maybe they've changed it. All I know is that I was not happy.
Yeah VMCAS was very clear that no transcripts were to come from anyone but the school itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to you all again this year!
I was able to get residency strictly through my husband, which we had planned since the time I received my interview letter.

Good luck to you all again this year!
I was able to get residency strictly through my husband, which we had planned since the time I received my interview letter.

Wait, how did you get residency through your husband? *if* I get in, I'll be moving to Illinois with my husband so if there is an opportunity to get residency, I would love to know! :)

Wait, how did you get residency through your husband? *if* I get in, I'll be moving to Illinois with my husband so if there is an opportunity to get residency, I would love to know! :)

I sent you a private message!

For the current UofI vet students, what do you recommend for interview preparation?
I feel like going there and just answering the questions as they come to the best of your ability is what it usually comes down to... I don't really know how to prepare otherwise. :unsure:
For my other interview (an MMI style interview) I felt that there really was no way to "prepare" and it went fine regardless.

I just would like to hear input from current students, thanks!!

For the current UofI vet students, what do you recommend for interview preparation?
I feel like going there and just answering the questions as they come to the best of your ability is what it usually comes down to... I don't really know how to prepare otherwise. :unsure:
For my other interview (an MMI style interview) I felt that there really was no way to "prepare" and it went fine regardless.

I just would like to hear input from current students, thanks!!
All I can say is be yourself. They aren't out to get you in the interview and just want to get to know you.

Anyone know how long the interviews are this year? I've been talking to current students at the schools I've been interviewing at and they all tell me the interviews were 5-10 minutes last year due to them interviewing everyone on the same day and not having enough time. I'm usually pretty nervous the first 5 minutes so if that's all they'll get to see I'm gonna be even more nervous going into it! Haha

Anyone know how long the interviews are this year? I've been talking to current students at the schools I've been interviewing at and they all tell me the interviews were 5-10 minutes last year due to them interviewing everyone on the same day and not having enough time. I'm usually pretty nervous the first 5 minutes so if that's all they'll get to see I'm gonna be even more nervous going into it! Haha
Mine was about 15-20 minutes from start to finish but it varies based on your interview panel.

Mine was about 25min.

Yay! I got the hold cleared off of my account and was able to use a service that my university provides to overnight the transcripts with tracking! I thought it was really cool they offered to overnight it for me... I was a little worried that if I did it myself, UIUC wouldn't accept them as official transcripts. I'm excited for the interview. :)

I sent my transcripts for the one summer class I took that completed my bachelor's degree, and I never heard anything about them being received (honestly I don't think they cared about the class it was a Gen ed). However I looked at my portal and it has a grade for the class so I am going to assume they got them since I didn't have the grade when I submitted the VMCAS.

I've finished all my prerequisites a while ago and am in all grad classes. But, I wouldn't want to lose my interview spot because I didn't send them in

Side note: I'm in an anthrozoology class this semester and get to do original research. I'm thinking social perceptions and awareness of zoonotic diseases or how people's relationships with animals influences their conservation mindedness. This is going to be a great semester.

I decided to give up my interview spot since I got into one of my top choice schools. Hope someone from here gets an invite!

I'm curious, is there actually an interview waitlist? I figured everyone that wasn't rejected back in December got an interview.

I actually was wondering this too. Part of me is selfishly hoping that they only invited 200 out of state people.

I feel like it would at least make sense for them to keep an interview waitlist for out of state students since I imagine a lot of people end up declining if they've already got a decision from another school, but I've looked at previous year's threads and haven't seen anything about anyone getting called off for an interview after the first batch was sent out. So... maybe not?

It probably won't have much of an effect on me, since I can't imagine many IS students choose to decline their interview. Even if they don't call people off of the waitlist, it's going to be a busy day!

I actually was wondering this too. Part of me is selfishly hoping that they only invited 200 out of state people.
"300+ applicants (130 Illinois residents and 200 non-residents) will be offered a personal interview to be scheduled im February."

apparently that's exactly what they did

"300+ applicants (130 Illinois residents and 200 non-residents) will be offered a personal interview to be scheduled im February."

apparently that's exactly what they did

No you misunderstood. I know they invited 200 out of state applicants, but we were wondering if they leave it at that or if they have wait list for people who decline.

No you misunderstood. I know they invited 200 out of state applicants, but we were wondering if they leave it at that or if they have wait list for people who decline.
Well, not really. The website gives you those numbers for a reason.

For the last three years, I have not seen anything about an interview waitlist at this school. Sometimes the waitlist isn't public knowledge and you only find out you were on it if you make it off the list, so that is a possibility.

However, with 40 seats and 200 applicants, they do not need a waitlist. Most schools don't, but we're already twoish weeks away, and a few people on here alone have declined their spots already with no others chiming in that they were invited.

If you're that curious, just call.
I'm curious, is there actually an interview waitlist? I figured everyone that wasn't rejected back in December got an interview.
Not so, based on last year. I passed phase I last year, but didn't receive my rejection until mid-January. If I'm not mistaken, weren't December's rejections for those who did not pass phase I? I'm losing track haha.

Well, not really. The website gives you those numbers for a reason.

For the last three years, I have not seen anything about an interview waitlist at this school. Sometimes the waitlist isn't public knowledge and you only find out you were on it if you make it off the list, so that is a possibility.

However, with 40 seats and 200 applicants, they do not need a waitlist. Most schools don't, but we're already twoish weeks away, and a few people on here alone have declined their spots already with no others chiming in that they were invited.

If you're that curious, just call.

Not so, based on last year. I passed phase I last year, but didn't receive my rejection until mid-January. If I'm not mistaken, weren't December's rejections for those who did not pass phase I? I'm losing track haha.

Thanks could have done with a little less of the attitude though, it was a simple question.

I sent my transcript probably about 10 days ago, but just got an email that leads me to believe that they haven't received it yet. I go to grad school in Cambridge, MA and maybe the storm affected it? Also, I'm in grad school and none of these classes have anything to do with vet school requirements. Should I just email them about my situation? If my transcript doesn't get there in time, am I screwed?

I sent my transcript probably about 10 days ago, but just got an email that leads me to believe that they haven't received it yet. I go to grad school in Cambridge, MA and maybe the storm affected it? Also, I'm in grad school and none of these classes have anything to do with vet school requirements. Should I just email them about my situation? If my transcript doesn't get there in time, am I screwed?
I'd say call them and tell them what's up. Much faster than e-mail.

You should absolutely call them. I sent my transcripts on Tuesday, they were received on Wednesday, and the grades popped up on my portal on Thursday. You'll want to make sure that they received them and maybe send them again if they didn't.

If it's of any reassurance, I'm sure that if you make them aware of your situation ASAP they'll do what they can to help you. When I sent my transcripts my school's registrar specifically asked me if I was sending anything out east because the mail service was already anticipating delays. The admissions office should be aware of the situation and can help you figure out what you need to do to get everything in on time.

If you can, I'd highly suggest to call them immediately. If they need transcripts by February 1, it might be possible to overnight fedex them. The extra charge sucks, but the verified receipt and expediency were a huge relief in my experience.

I just called and they really weren't any help/weren't very nice about it....I'm calling my school's transcript office now but they aren't answering and they close at 2 and I don't live near campus....really freaking out here.

I just called and they really weren't any help/weren't very nice about it....I'm calling my school's transcript office now but they aren't answering and they close at 2 and I don't live near campus....really freaking out here.
I'm really sorry to hear that... :(

If you can get a hold of the transcript office, I'd suggest either requesting your transcripts in a sealed envelope that you can through into an overnight mailer or requesting the service (I never knew it existed, but my school contracts with a company that fedexes the transcripts for the school). Is there any way you can make the trek up to campus before the office closes?

I hope everything goes all right for you.

Talk to your undergrad institution about it and let them know it's an emergency due to your other ones not making it. Request to pick up the copy (much faster than them mailing it to you) and mail it yourself with tracking. I'm super paranoid so I always do this regardless of whether the due date is next week or next month. Always pay the extra 1-2 bucks for tracking when it comes to important stuff like transcripts. I hope you get this resolved. It would suck to lose a spot just because your stuff got lost. :/

Ugh this is so annoying because this is a graduate school transcript. I was able to make it to the registrar on time to send out another transcript overnight FedEx and confirmed that the other one was sent out on 1/22 (sent another to be safe). Guess it's out of my hands now. Thanks everyone for your advice and support!

Transcripts being lost or delayed is exactly why I sent mine in even before I knew I had an interview - I was just too worried to take a chance. What did the office tell you when you called? Just curious.

I'm also curious if they would have accepted a fax/digital copy while they awaited the official mailed copy. It's just to see where you are with your pre-reqs, right?

I'm also curious if they would have accepted a fax/digital copy while they awaited the official mailed copy. It's just to see where you are with your pre-reqs, right?

Well it's also to see that you haven't suddenly flunked anything. I'm getting an Ed.M. and it's completely unrelated to anything veterinary, but the lady on the phone was adamant that admissions needs to see that I don't have any F's haha

Current students or townies, what's some good places to eat?

Reactions: 1 users
Current students or townies, what's some good places to eat?
What do you like to eat?
Blackdog is a local favorite for BBQ
Thara Thai is a good Thai place
Maize is a hole in the wall but has great mexican food
Dublin O'Neil's is a fun Irish pub/restaurant for dinner

Unfortunately Champagin lacks a wide selection of good student priced eateries.
Rainbow Garden is a good sit down Chinese place.
Gotcha, I'm looking for places to have a bite after the interview next week.