University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a person that's lived at home with my parents all through college so far, I know very little about renting apartments. Do you think when it says $599 for a 2 bedroom apartment, that's $599 per person or individually? Thank you! (I mean I guess I should just call them and ask but I'm in the library right now)
http://villagecp.com/floor-plans/bedrooms/2/

Members don't see this ad.

Long time lurker here!

For anyone interested--
Just verified with someone at The Village that there is $250 non-refundable fee + $25/mo pet rent; For The Place at 117 there is $175 deposit + $25/mo pet rent

And yes, the $599/mo sounds like per bedroom because they practice individual lease term instead of joint lease

I'm super confused as The Place and The Village is very similar in nice amenities like furnished units and whatnot, the only plus I see in The Place is that it is couple minute closer to vet med bldg.. lol

Reactions: 1 user
Long time lurker here!

For anyone interested--
Just verified with someone at The Village that there is $250 non-refundable fee + $25/mo pet rent; For The Place at 117 there is $175 deposit + $25/mo pet rent
Thank you for finding that out!

Members don't see this ad :)
As a person that's lived at home with my parents all through college so far, I know very little about renting apartments. Do you think when it says $599 for a 2 bedroom apartment, that's $599 per person or individually? Thank you! (I mean I guess I should just call them and ask but I'm in the library right now)
http://villagecp.com/floor-plans/bedrooms/2/
I just wanna jump in and say to be very careful with the whole total vs. per bedroom thing. $599 for a 2-bed sounds like it's per person. Anything higher than that for a 2-bed sounds like it'd be total (so divide by two). I always call to be sure, though. Renting can be tricky and landlords don't always have your best interests at heart.

I live about 4miles from the VetMed campus and it takes me about 10 min to drive to school. If I calculated walking it says it would take over an hour D:. Biking would probably work except for when the windchill is way below zero, like it has been lately. I don't know if there are any places to live that are closer where you could walk. I ended up buying a trailer in town for super cheap and I love it. Best of all = No roommates and whatever pets I want!

Where are you living? I'm looking into all the options as well.

The $599 is definitely per person - not as a total. I emailed Jordan at the Village today. She informed me that there was a 2 pet limit. Can anyone tell me if this is accurate?

The $599 is definitely per person - not as a total. I emailed Jordan at the Village today. She informed me that there was a 2 pet limit. Can anyone tell me if this is accurate?
Word of mouth from my friend living at the village: "3 pets. not including caged or tanked animals." But if you called their office and they said 2 pets, then I'd probably trust the employee. And leases can change depending on if you were grandfathered into a more lax lease wrt pet policy.

I will be bringing four rats :D But they are caged so I'm not expecting to have go through much fuss when counting number of pets.

PS: I'm sure all apartments love when people bring rats! Hey, they're just big hamsters with tails and smarter and better :p

Although I'd rather live in a house, The Village looks pretty nice. I'm just concerned about the cost for their fully furnished apartments. Their website says 3-bedroom 'from $415' or 4-bedroom 'from $399' and then says 'fully furnished available.' Anyone know how much the fully furnished apartments cost compared to these 'starting' prices? Or are these prices also the prices of the fully furnished units?

Reactions: 1 users
I currently live at the village! I really like living here. A lot of vet students (especially first years) live here. I have a 2 bedroom and its is much larger than what I paid to live on campus as an undergrad. I pay 575 and that does include everything (water, parking, cable/internet, furnishings) except electricity. My roommate and I have our own bedroom, bathroom, and walk in closet upstairs. Downstairs we have our living space, kitchen, storage, half bath, and washer/dryer. The only real downside is sometimes I feel like maintenance here is poor and the village looks really nice from the outside but when you look closely it is super ****ty construction. There is no bus from here to vetmed so you will have to have a car and buy a parking pass.

Feel free the message me if you have specific questions about anything!

OOS (Maine) Alternate. Kinda hoping I get off the waitlist...but for now..AVC c/o 2019!

I'm kinda in a tricky situation. I have 4 cats and two dogs at home and can't decide which pets to bring with me! I didn't know if my dogs would be too high maintenance my first year as they are both pretty active. I was hoping to find a place that is rather lenient about pets so my husband can bring the dogs to visit when he does :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kinda in a tricky situation. I have 4 cats and two dogs at home and can't decide which pets to bring with me! I didn't know if my dogs would be too high maintenance my first year as they are both pretty active. I was hoping to find a place that is rather lenient about pets so my husband can bring the dogs to visit when he does :)
You're going to have a really hard time finding anything affordable with that many animals. I have 3 cats and a dog myself and I live a half hour away in a rent to own because that was our only option for housing. Not many people will want to live with that many pets that aren't theirs (I tried to find a roommate). Unless you want to go the home buying route, you'll probably only be able to bring 2-3 of your animals with you.

You're going to have a really hard time finding anything affordable with that many animals. I have 3 cats and a dog myself and I live a half hour away in a rent to own because that was our only option for housing. Not many people will want to live with that many pets that aren't theirs (I tried to find a roommate). Unless you want to go the home buying route, you'll probably only be able to bring 2-3 of your animals with you.
I have rented in the past during undergrad so I understand that rental agencies do not typically allow more than 3 pets. I was just contemplating which pets I should bring as I do not know how much time I will be able to dedicate to my two dogs while in school. I guess I was wondering if it was even feasible to take care of a dog properly during my first year. I also do not want to separate my dogs. My husband is more than likely going to stay in our current home, so which ever pets I cannot bring will be well taken care of by him. :)

Long time lurker here!

I'm super confused as The Place and The Village is very similar in nice amenities like furnished units and whatnot, the only plus I see in The Place is that it is couple minute closer to vet med bldg.. lol

There was a shooting at the Village over winter break this year.

I'm looking into the Village, especially the 3 and 4 bedroom apartments. If anyone is looking for roommates, please send me a message! I'm not very set on the Village though, so if anyone already has an apartment and is looking for a roommate, I'm definitely interested.

I have rented in the past during undergrad so I understand that rental agencies do not typically allow more than 3 pets. I was just contemplating which pets I should bring as I do not know how much time I will be able to dedicate to my two dogs while in school. I guess I was wondering if it was even feasible to take care of a dog properly during my first year. I also do not want to separate my dogs. My husband is more than likely going to stay in our current home, so which ever pets I cannot bring will be well taken care of by him. :)
There's plenty of people who have dogs while in vet school, myself included. It does, however, get really tough to be home more the closer to 4th year you get. I'm lucky enough to have a yard that I let my dog go burn off some energy in, but if you have 2 little hyper dogs and you plan on being active in clubs/working then it might be best for them to stay with your husband. I'm having a lot of difficulty trying to balance taking care of him and school, clubs, and work. Hopefully this helps a little more.

Does anyone know if getting a dual mph costs any more than the dvm/mph? Thanks!

So where do you recommend living?

Recommending places to live without knowing a persons needs is like recommending a dress size to someone without ever seeing them, its incompatible.

Your best bet to finding a reputable living establishment would be to contact the tenant union and tell them what you are looking for. They will compile a list and you can start from there.

Does anyone know if getting a dual mph costs any more than the dvm/mph? Thanks!
It costs like another 15k for the last year's tuition for the year in Chicago to finish the degree. Otherwise, you don't pay for the MPH unless you take summer classes.

I noticed that the Village is fairly close to Willard Airport. Can any current tenants speak about the noise level associated with that?

Does anyone know a timeline for signing leases? Is it harder to find housing in April versus now? Thanks!

Does anyone know a timeline for signing leases? Is it harder to find housing in April versus now? Thanks!
I am not sure, though several leasing agents told me the apartments fill up quickly. Many of them are having incentives now as far as 0 down or no security deposit. It seems ideal to secure something sooner rather than later for financial reasons and also because some apartments have limited availability.

I'm going to be declining my acceptance (OOS). Best of luck to those on the waitlist! I'm off to Michigan State in the fall. :)

1. Has anyone still not received their official letters? I have not. :/

2. Is there an official Facebook group for the Class of 2019?

3. I'm looking for multiple roommates to live with at either The Village or a rental home closer to campus, if anyone else is looking and/or has living ideas, feel free to message me. I'm male (lol) and I plan on owning a dog and/or maybe a turtle. :)

Any other vegetarian/vegans thinking of attending or currently attending U of I? Might seem petty but I am curious what kind of food options there are in the vetmed cafeteria or locally? Feel free to PM me :)

Any other vegetarian/vegans thinking of attending or currently attending U of I? Might seem petty but I am curious what kind of food options there are in the vetmed cafeteria or locally? Feel free to PM me :)
I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but we do have a vegetarian restaurant called The Red Herring I've heard is really good up near main campus. During lunch lectures there's always vegetarian offers, though not everything is vegan. I have no idea about the cafeteria because I always bring my own lunch. I will tell you it's probably cheaper to bring your own lunch than to continuously buy from the cafeteria.

1. Has anyone still not received their official letters? I have not. :/

2. Is there an official Facebook group for the Class of 2019?

3. I'm looking for multiple roommates to live with at either The Village or a rental home closer to campus, if anyone else is looking and/or has living ideas, feel free to message me. I'm male (lol) and I plan on owning a dog and/or maybe a turtle. :)
I havent gotten mine either. I'm gonna call them right meow.

I am vegetarian and will be attending U of I! When I visited for my interview and had to choose a restaurant for dinner, I found many delicious restaurants that had at least a few options on their menu, as well as one or two places where the whole menu was either veggie or customizable to be veggie. But bringing lunch to campus and staying in for dinner is obviously much more affordable and what we will be doing most of the time. There are two small organic/co-op markets close by for groceries.

I also personally love, love, love, love cooking for people! :)

@jmstroup I was told to e-mail admissions to see what's up. Confirm your address and they'll send another one.

Are there any apartments that offer cable/Internet/water/etc. In rent? The village looked like it might be that kind of complex but I couldn't find anything on that.

Are there any apartments that offer cable/Internet/water/etc. In rent? The village looked like it might be that kind of complex but I couldn't find anything on that.

The Village includes all of what you listed in the rent. It does not include electricity, but I asked what the average bill would be and Jordan said around $40 per month. I believe that The Place also includes a bunch of utilities.

Free pet food for students? :p
It's not free but I know you can get Hill's food 50% off and I think Purina is the same amount. You have to sign up for it and it take about 2 weeks for your order to come in.

@jmstroup I was told to e-mail admissions to see what's up. Confirm your address and they'll send another one.
I emailed them! I just asked them to send me a PDF file of all the documents I need (as they should do, anyway, lol) and they did.
Now I can print out my acceptance letter on $100 paper and frame it in Daddy's study :pompous:

Reactions: 2 users
How long do you think it will take them to confirm your seat? I sent in my acceptance already and haven't had money taken out of my account yet or an update showing any confirmation. I'm too paranoid to officially decline my other offer until I know that this one is set in stone:nailbiting::whistle:

I declined my OOS seat!! Good luck all!!!

Well I've been waitlisted at my in state so it looks like I'll be joining you all in Illinois next year!!

Time to start planning!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got my answer! They updated my portal stating that admission was accepted 3/4/15!

Reactions: 2 users
Well I've been waitlisted at my in state so it looks like I'll be joining you all in Illinois next year!!

Time to start planning!!!!

Sorry that you were waitlisted at your in state, but I'm excited that you're going to U of I!

this is going to be awesome guys!!!

I spent far to much of my day at work today looking up places to live :)

Is it time to make a shopping list yet? I feel like i should make a shopping list......I love lists....and lists of things to buy for vet school combines three of my most favorite things (lists, buying things, and VET SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Reactions: 5 users
Soooooooo, anyone start looking at Laptops yet?
Last January 2014, I bought a refurbished summer 2013 edition Macbook Air for like $950. So if you're just looking for a simple, low-key, strictly school/internet browsing laptop, then I would highly suggest looking into refurbished Macs. A macbook pro might be better for vet school, but I got the Air last year because I travel a lot and wanted something extremely light. It's a great computer for school, but not if you're into gaming.

I am looking into purchasing a house up there that is 3-4 bedroom and have a 2-3 renters. I'll probably be in town Wednesday to look at a few houses, I am super excited

Sooooo, does anyone know if people usually keep their apartments/whatevers through the summer or do people typically find a new place every year or....?

Sooooo, does anyone know if people usually keep their apartments/whatevers through the summer or do people typically find a new place every year or....?
I've been at my place since I moved here. People usually stay unless they have problems with landlord/roommates.

So that means continuing to pay rent through the summer....do people usually try to spread out their loans for that, or is it feasible to work enough during the summer?

So that means continuing to pay rent through the summer....do people usually try to spread out their loans for that, or is it feasible to work enough during the summer?
A lot of people either find a job over the summer or they do an internship somewhere. If it's not in town then I think people usually sublease their apartment for the summer. I plan on working over the summer so I can continue to pay rent.