University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When do people usually move to Illinois after they graduate? Sometime in July, late July?
It'd probably depend on when my lease would start (if I'm paying, you better believe I'll be living there). However, I'd like to push it as late as possible and enjoy my time at home.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Guys I am in as well but still waiting on a few schools....but looking into housing for fun. Does anyone know if there is a page where upper classman post about needing roomates ect? Thanks:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I finally got my letter today...so much for the desired effect of having it before seeing the portal:cool:

Reactions: 4 users
I received my letter yesterday. I'm OOS in Virginia. I will be sending my notice back to reject my alternate status, as I have been accepted at Purdue. I hope that one of you lovely people benefit! :)

Finally got it today (seriously late - glad they updated portal) and it hurt for the second time. Bleeh. :( I really liked Illinois.

I received my letter yesterday. I'm OOS in Virginia. I will be sending my notice back to reject my alternate status, as I have been accepted at Purdue. I hope that one of you lovely people benefit! :)
So there's an official declination notice in the letter? I'm in Indiana and I still haven't gotten it xD

So there's an official declination notice in the letter? I'm in Indiana and I still haven't gotten it xD
Yeah! Theres a form where you basically check yes or no, and return with or without the check.

Maybe that's why they haven't responded to my e-mail lol
The letter does say they will accept emails for offer declines for those who accept, then change their minds...

It does ask for you to return the form if you are just declining. I wonder what's taking your letter so long.

So is there an actual letter for saying you got denied? or just a letter if you are in or if you are waitlisted?

So is there an actual letter for saying you got denied? or just a letter if you are in or if you are waitlisted?
There will be a letter. If you interviewed I think they either accept or waitlist you--no straight out rejections anymore. Rejected students in earlier phases also mentioned that they got letters.

Pros and cons to living in Urbana? I live in Chicago right now so I'm used to the weather.
I wish Urbana had a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the only rejections that go out were back in December (I got one last year). I think from here on out, you are either accepted, pulled off the waitlist, or left in limbo.

The letter does say they will accept emails for offer declines for those who accept, then change their minds...

It does ask for you to return the form if you are just declining. I wonder what's taking your letter so long.
Still nothing. I think mine got eaten by a post chupacabra.

Reactions: 2 users
Finally got my acceptance letter in Massachusetts 3 feet of snow on the ground and all!

Doing a rough apartment search right now and totally overwhelmed. I might end up paying a visit sometime once I make a final decision...

Reactions: 3 users
Try The Place at 117 in Savoy. A friend of mine in her second year is offering me a room there, but I haven't yet decided on UIUC... It's a nice-looking apartment building, pet-friendly (breed restrictions, maybe?), and cheap.

How does someone spend 13k on room and board?

How does someone spend 13k on room and board?
LOL omg I said the exact same thing!! I wouldn't put it past 8k. It looked like rent is actually reasonable in the area...cheaper than what I'm used to.

LOL omg I said the exact same thing!! I wouldn't put it past 8k. It looked like rent is actually reasonable in the area...cheaper than what I'm used to.
8k at the most I think. I spent 5k for a years rent here, paying $430 a month.

well I mean that 13000 includes pretty much all of your living expenses.....not just rent....say you estimate high, $600 for rent, $300 for other bills, $200 for food.... that's 10,000 for a year right there alone. if you have a car, pets, etc, that extra 3,000 could add up quick.

I'm liking the Village too. Are there a lot of undergrads that live there? Don't want to live somewhere that gets too rowdy haha

I heard great things about the Village when we were on campus for interviews. I would be really interested in living there - if anyone is interested in having roommates, let me know!

Reactions: 2 users
Okay, current students: I'm looking at the map handed out during our interviews. What 'borders' should I stop at if I want a 10 minute walk to campus? What streets should I not cross? I only had a chance to drive down Lincoln, and it seemed like that could be a pretty long walk when I...erm....wake up late...

Okay, current students: I'm looking at the map handed out during our interviews. What 'borders' should I stop at if I want a 10 minute walk to campus? What streets should I not cross? I only had a chance to drive down Lincoln, and it seemed like that could be a pretty long walk when I...erm....wake up late...
10 minute walk to campus vs 10 minute walk to vetmed?

I'm liking the Village too. Are there a lot of undergrads that live there? Don't want to live somewhere that gets too rowdy haha
I think there are some undergrads, but there are good deal of vet students there and other professional students as well. (all word of mouth, no actual collected data to back up these words! haha)

Anyone know of studios near campus that allow pets? I have a very specific vision....haha

Reactions: 1 users
I am unaware of any easy answer to that! I have a maybe 10 minute drive to vetmed, but to walk, google map says 40 minutes. You'd have to scope it out.

Here is the google maps link.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/2001 S Lincoln Ave, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL 61802/@40.0900506,-88.2112117,2383m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x880cd6e285d443f1:0xeb3cb72bc4562616

The Google Maps on Android will find things that are within a specified amount of walking time from your current location, so the technology is there for something like this... It'd be great if it could map a 10-minute walking radius around a designated location!

Good point. 10 minute walk to vetmed, please!

I live about 4miles from the VetMed campus and it takes me about 10 min to drive to school. If I calculated walking it says it would take over an hour D:. Biking would probably work except for when the windchill is way below zero, like it has been lately. I don't know if there are any places to live that are closer where you could walk. I ended up buying a trailer in town for super cheap and I love it. Best of all = No roommates and whatever pets I want!

Good point. 10 minute walk to vetmed, please!

There really isn't any good place. Several people find housing in Urbana, just off of Florida near the elementary school and bike to vet med. In the winter time this could be pretty chilly though, and snow removal is not always optimal.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone! I was minda hoping I was just missing something, but it seems like the majority of apartments are on the north end of campus. I didn't get a chance to drive past vet med, but it looks like there is nothing south if there...lol
Anyone know of studios near campus that allow pets? I have a very specific vision....haha
I have a similar vision...

vet med is very dislocated from the rest of the campus, unfortunately :/

I heard great things about the Village when we were on campus for interviews. I would be really interested in living there - if anyone is interested in having roommates, let me know!

I've been looking at the Village too and it looks great! I would definitely be interested in having roommates in either the 3 bed/3 bath suite or the 4 bed/4 bath town. If anyone's interested, feel free to DM me!

So do you have to have a car then basically? Might be a silly question...

I'm going to be living in a 2 bedroom duplex my family owns near Urbana Middle School. I will potentially be looking for a roommate as well! I don't have any pets yet but as soon as I graduate, adopting a dog is the first thing I plan on doing. :)

Can anyone who currently lives at The Village or has done their research tell me what furniture comes with each apartment? It looks like I might have a lot of furniture to sell or put in storage...lol

Unsure at this point if I want to live alone during the first year of vet school or have some roommates but I really like the looks of the Village too :D