University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So that means continuing to pay rent through the summer....do people usually try to spread out their loans for that, or is it feasible to work enough during the summer?
Yeah, you still pay rent during the summer. People usually get summer jobs/externships or just live frugally. Some people will go home for the summer but you still have to pay rent.

Members don't see this ad.

So that means continuing to pay rent through the summer....do people usually try to spread out their loans for that, or is it feasible to work enough during the summer?

Almost all the leases here are signed for a year. And typically if you sign a 9 month lease for school they will just charge you more per month. Subleasing might be difficult unfortunately. I'm not very familiar with subleasing off campus, but on campus students will typically charge one months rent for an entire summer sublet. This is just because there are so many people looking for summer subletters when everyone goes home for the summer. As long as you are living in a decently priced place and don't have a lot of other expenses you could definitely use your loan money to pay for rent over the summer. A few of my friends are planning and staying in Champaign this summer and were able to find jobs here if you're interested in staying.

Anyone know whether Illinois has residents in the LA hospital or equine residents? Just curious!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know whether Illinois has residents in the LA hospital or equine residents? Just curious!
In my interview I expressed interest in repro and was told that there is a new board certified equine therio resident.

In my interview I expressed interest in repro and was told that there is a new board certified equine therio resident.
Thanks for the reply. I was actually talking about residents(not boarded yet) not faculty which it sounds like you are referencing. Thanks for the insight though good to know!

Thanks for the reply. I was actually talking about residents(not boarded yet) not faculty which it sounds like you are referencing. Thanks for the insight though good to know!
Oh sorry! I always kinda put them in the same, since in my experience the residents work right under the boarded faculty.

I looked at the website and saw that they have LA/equine residencies but then when I looked at the staff there were no residents on staff so now I'm confused...any ideas?

I looked at the website and saw that they have LA/equine residencies but then when I looked at the staff there were no residents on staff so now I'm confused...any ideas?
They had some residents in fall when I had my equine rotation.

I don't work, and I am able to save enough of my loan money to cover cost of living and rent over the summer. Most places here only sign 1 year leases, which extend form August 1st-July 29th. I think you would be hard pressed to find a place that would sign a 9 month lease for you hear, which is a shame, where I went to undergrad everyone was willing to do 9 month leases.

I have been in my same apartment since 1st year, and just resigned for my 4th year. Another girl in my class is in my same complex and has been here the entire time too. I would say moving is rare, though there are those students that do move after first year due to unfavorable living arrangements.

There are residents in equine surgery, medicine, and RAHMS, as well as Therio. Did you have a particular interest?

I don't work, and I am able to save enough of my loan money to cover cost of living and rent over the summer. Most places here only sign 1 year leases, which extend form August 1st-July 29th. I think you would be hard pressed to find a place that would sign a 9 month lease for you hear, which is a shame, where I went to undergrad everyone was willing to do 9 month leases.

I have been in my same apartment since 1st year, and just resigned for my 4th year. Another girl in my class is in my same complex and has been here the entire time too. I would say moving is rare, though there are those students that do move after first year due to unfavorable living arrangements.

August 1st - July 29th? Is everybody homeless for 2 days or do landlords generally let someone move in a day or two early?

August 1st - July 29th? Is everybody homeless for 2 days or do landlords generally let someone move in a day or two early?
I was allowed to move in a couple days early, for my apartment, and haven't moved since. Lease length is completely landlord dependent.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of jobs do vet students try to get to cover the summer rent in Champaign? Are they vet med/university related, or something random like waitressing?

Anyone else from the west coast?? Current students or OOS acceptances? I'm worried about trying to find housing so long distance

Has anyone else looked at the reviews for The Village on Google and Yelp? After reading dozens of complaints about thin walls, insufficient heat, extremely slow internet, nearby train tracks, and mice infestations, I'm pretty skeptical about living there... It's looking like their large apartments and cheap, all-inclusive rent might be too good to be true... Is there anyone who has lived in The Village that can attest to the validity of these statements? And any other suggestions of pet-friendly apartment complexes where vet students often live?

Links to the review pages if anyone else is interested:
https://plus.google.com/107640274415601104928/about?hl=en&gl=us
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-village-at-colbert-park-savoy

Has anyone else looked at the reviews for The Village on Google and Yelp? After reading dozens of complaints about thin walls, insufficient heat, extremely slow internet, nearby train tracks, and mice infestations, I'm pretty skeptical about living there...

Hmm yeah I read those myself.... bleh, it sounded too good to be true from their own website with those glamorous pics by the swimming pool :/

Also, my best friend lives at a place just like the village in Valparaiso and hates it, just for those still thinking about the village. I can give more details of they're wantwd

Hmm yeah I read those myself.... bleh, it sounded too good to be true from their own website with those glamorous pics by the swimming pool :/

Unfortunately, I have researched at least a dozen other apartment complexes and have yet to find one with better reviews that is also pet-friendly and still has units available. *Sigh, this housing search is going to be a challenge...

Also, my best friend lives at a place just like the village in Valparaiso and hates it, just for those still thinking about the village. I can give more details of they're wantwd
I would like to hear more about it! Is it really as bad as these reviews are saying? Again, I've never lived on my own (thanks, mom and dad!) so I'm not sure what to even look for in an apartment lol.....

Has anyone else looked at the reviews for The Village on Google and Yelp? After reading dozens of complaints about thin walls, insufficient heat, extremely slow internet, nearby train tracks, and mice infestations, I'm pretty skeptical about living there... It's looking like their large apartments and cheap, all-inclusive rent might be too good to be true... Is there anyone who has lived in The Village that can attest to the validity of these statements? And any other suggestions of pet-friendly apartment complexes where vet students often live?

Links to the review pages if anyone else is interested:
https://plus.google.com/107640274415601104928/about?hl=en&gl=us
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-village-at-colbert-park-savoy

I have a friend who used to live at the village first year, and she did struggle with a mice and roach problem. The village management would not pay for exterminators because they said that was part of the risk of living in a rural setting next to fields (the apartment complex is surrounded by corn/ soybean fields). And well the train, its hard to deny there is a train that goes by frequently. I live in a small complex about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away from the tracks and I can hear the train from my place at night so I can't imagine living right next to it.

I asked a few students who currently live at The Village, and they have had minimal issues and say that they generally enjoy living there! The train is loud, but only if you live in one of the three buildings that are right next to it (the three bedroom apartments seem to be in those buildings).

I personally like the all-inclusive rent, the ability to have pets, the free parking, and the washer/dryer in each apartment. Also, if you lease now/soon, they waive the application fee and the safety deposit (that's a total of $300). I have lived in a lot of crappy places for a lot more money, so this place looks nice to me, regardless of negative reviews. These places can't make everyone happy, and you won't find a place that's perfect.

Reactions: 1 user
My biggest hold up is, for me, I don't want to have to have a roommate. But 900 for a one bedroom apartment is crazy high. Looking elsewhere online I have been able to find comparable options for 600ish. So my ssuggestion would be take the time to look, and not jump in on a place.

Does anyone know anything about Mattis North? I called today and they have no breed or weight restrictions (awesome news for my 92 lb bloodhound!) and seems to be pretty affordable. But I couldn't find any ratings online.

looks decent from the pictures :)

Also, does anyone have any new info on the facebook page?

Every place I look at has a bunch of 1-star Yelp ratings :(

For everyone worried about online ratings and reviews, take them with a grain of salt. Every location you look at will have terrifying reviews-they're college apartments, Unfortunately, it comes with the territory. I have a decent amount of renting under my belt, and I can tell you it will be what you make of it. One complex I lived in had mice and roach complaints, but I never saw anything like that. Sounds like this complex might actually have mice....but it is unacceptable they wouldn't exterminate.

If you can get top floor, DO IT. It saves on heating bills (hot air rises) and noise. That's one of my requirements, lol.

Does anyone know anything about The Pointe at U of I? It seems comparable to The Village in amenities and pricing, but seems to have slightly better reviews overall.

You guys can also consider renting a small trailer. I love the place where I live. I ended up buying a trailer in one of the parks and it turned out to be amazing. I know that the management here where I live are amazing and also offer rental units in my mobile home community as well as another one that they own. You can have 2 pets in rental units and more if you own. I don't think the utilities are included in the rent and they are about 70 - 100 dollars a month depending on your energy usage. Feel free to check them out. I suggest calling them because they always have more to offer than what is on their website. Sometimes there are ones not advertised that are cheaper per month than on the website. Surbana Estates is about 4miles from the school and Liberty Commons is about 5 or so miles I believe. I just wanted to suggest an alternative to living in an apartment, because when I was looking the apartments were all really ****ty for a ton of money. Then I talked to the people at liberty commons and they are so nice and everything is super clean. They have rules for residents that own there to keep their trailers in nice condition so its not a dump. I know you have to pass a credit check as well to live here.

http://www.libertycommonsmhc.com/
http://surbanaestates.com/

^^ the pictures of the rental trailers look great! It does seem better than most cheap apartments. I had never even considered a trailer before

Does anyone know anything about The Pointe at U of I? It seems comparable to The Village in amenities and pricing, but seems to have slightly better reviews overall.
I live right by the Pointe at U of I and overall it doesn't seem too bad from an outsiders perspective. We had to call a noise complaint on someone living by us just once in 1.5 years, so that's what I'm basing my judgement on, haha. Noise level is important to me!

The trailer idea isn't a bad one, and maybe I'm crazy but..... what about tornados? haha

(I was caught in one once and now I'm kinda petrified of them)

The trailer idea isn't a bad one, and maybe I'm crazy but..... what about tornados? haha
Ugh exactly my thought. For that reason alone I could NEVER live in a trailer, especially in the midwest! I've had a horrible fear of them after almost getting caught in one on a highway in Illinois looking at undergrad schools.

yeah, I was caught at one checking into a hotel in mid west ohio..... for a dog show....and had 4 dogs in my car...and I was in the lobby.... and the check in erson thought I was crazy running back outside to get the dogs when I saw it moving in our direction.... (I, and all 4 dogs, were uninjured....but my car had the overhang thing collapse on it.......)

I don't really think that's a problem. I've lived in this area my whole life and seen a few tornados but never heard of people being scared to live in trailers. A lot of people live in trailers in Illinois. If a tornado hits you directly you have a good chance of getting hurt no matter what you are in - unless its like a designated shelter area. I mean I've seen regular houses, barns, etc blown away just as easy as a trailer. I dunno, I guess since I've lived here my whole life I find it a weird thing to worry about. Of course worry about tornados, I just don't think it should affect where you live - if they are going to happen they are going to happen. Also, the place I live in has been there for a long time and nobody has blown away yet.

I don't really think that's a problem. I've lived in this area my whole life and seen a few tornados but never heard of people being scared to live in trailers. A lot of people live in trailers in Illinois. If a tornado hits you directly you have a good chance of getting hurt no matter what you are in - unless its like a designated shelter area. I mean I've seen regular houses, barns, etc blown away just as easy as a trailer. I dunno, I guess since I've lived here my whole life I find it a weird thing to worry about. Of course worry about tornados, I just don't think it should affect where you live - if they are going to happen they are going to happen. Also, the place I live in has been there for a long time and nobody has blown away yet.
I don't know....the one thing I've heard about tornadoes my whole life (right after never take shelter in an underpass!) is that trailers are the worst place to be in a tornado. I went to undergrad in Ohio and we had tornado scares, so I've paid close attention to this. There's no basement and no structural connection to the ground so you wouldn't even need a direct hit for it to be completely blown away/torn to pieces by blowing objects.

I'm just trying to give my perspective as a person that has lived HERE in central and southern IL my whole life. To me tornados are just a part of life and I personally have only seen a couple in 30yrs. I've also lived in a trailer for half my life as do many of my family and friends. If you are worried so much about it then don't live in one. To me the risk is not so high that I must live in a regular home. Most people not from this area have a fear of tornados, but honestly its really not that bad. I made my choice because I bought my trailer outright for what I would spend in rent for just one year in this town. Now three years from now I'm going to be that much less in debt and I can resell the trailer to someone else.

My tornado paranoia comes out when the weather conditions allow....my family and I survived one that tore up our house pretty badly in Michigan.

Tornadoes can happen anywhere in the country. Unfortunately, Apartments and Trailers are not the ideal places, but you can always ask the leasing offices what they recommend. They should have some sort of plan or location.

Last edited:
I don't know....the one thing I've heard about tornadoes my whole life (right after never take shelter in an underpass!) is that trailers are the worst place to be in a tornado. I went to undergrad in Ohio and we had tornado scares, so I've paid close attention to this. There's no basement and no structural connection to the ground so you wouldn't even need a direct hit for it to be completely blown away/torn to pieces by blowing objects.

If you are so afraid of living in a trailer because of tornadoes, don't. But take notice, apartments are also unsafe in the event of a tornado, as well as a house without basement access. And to answer the question probably brewing in your mind, no most apartment complexes don't have tornado shelters.

We had an F4 threat come through here last year, I drove to a friends house who had a basement, most people do this. If you don't have friends, the school is also a registered tornado shelter.

Just declined my OOS spot, good luck to all the OOS alternates (and everyone else)!!!

I've lived in Illinois for 24 years and only seen 2 tornadoes, one in Champaign, and one in my hometown further north, and neither one did much damage. I would say it's not anything to be too concerned about. We get a lot of strong thunderstorms, but not too many tornadoes. And with how busy our schedules will be in vet school, I think it's more likely that you'd be at the school and not at home in the event of a tornado. Although if you do decide to rent a trailer, I would make sure you have renter's insurance! Damage from hail, falling tree branches, or flooding would be bigger concerns for me.

And with how busy our schedules will be in vet school, I think it's more likely that you'd be at the school and not at home in the event of a tornado.
Most likely, yes, but then I'd just be paranoid about my cat! :( What do most people do with their pets in tornado-situations?

Most likely, yes, but then I'd just be paranoid about my cat! :( What do most people do with their pets in tornado-situations?
Well, the tough reality is that you might not be home. You could drive home a get the cat....but is it acceptable to have your cat in a carrier during class because there's a tornado watch/warning? Your options are limited....I'm not sure what would be best there.

Let them out (or have a neighbor do it). Better than them being confined to the trailer.

Just an FYI to the waitlisters:

I mailed out my acceptance to my IS school today so pending some huge change before April 15th there will be another spot open :)

So does anyone have a guestimate budget that they stick to? Food, bills, etc? I'm trying to figure out how much to budget for rent..

Does Illinois update your portal when they receive your letter accepting/declining your alternate status? I'm always paranoid about things getting lost in the mail, and I'd hate for that to keep me from getting called off the waitlist!

ETA: They did update my portal, in case anyone's curious.

Last edited:
Does Illinois update your portal when they receive your letter accepting/declining your alternate status? I'm always paranoid about things getting lost in the mail, and I'd hate for that to keep me from getting called off the waitlist!
I would assume so? Mine got updated when I declined my acceptance.