University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my UIN info in the mail today!

:soexcited:
Was hoping mine would come in today...here's hoping it comes in tomorrow! The wait is stressing me out haha

Members don't see this ad.

Ooo registration for classes begins April 27!!

Reactions: 1 user
Oh so here is my 'budget' that I made to help determine my rent situation. I guessed high on all of the figures and made them assuming that I am living alone (which I won't be). So in reality my bills would be lower and my max rent would be higher, especially if I am living with roommates.

Water/trash- $60/month
Electricity- $200/month
Internet- $50/month
Grocery- $100/ month
Ferret (Pets)- $100/ month
Misc- $40/month
Car Gas- $50/month
Campus Parking- $600/year
Total- $7,800/ year
Living Expenses – Total = Total rent for a year- $8,300
Max Rent/ month- $691.67/month

Let me know if you have any questions or if I should add anything to this.
Parking in any of the lots around vetmed costs $660/year.
Other than that, you are budgeting for a frugal life! Although I could probably cut back on some of my splurge items :p

Members don't see this ad :)
The hope is that I am not using that much money on any of that. I know for a fact that I don't spend that much on my pets or groceries (I also highly doubt my electricity will be that high every month). Plus I don't plan on renting for my max buddget

How on EARTH do you spend less than $100 a month on groceries?!?! Clearly I need to take a lesson from you..... I don't even know if I could hit that buying nothing but Ramen and Macaroni.....

Reactions: 1 users
How on EARTH do you spend less than $100 a month on groceries?!?! Clearly I need to take a lesson from you..... I don't even know if I could hit that buying nothing but Ramen and Macaroni.....

Haha really? My roommate and I spend $100 to feed both of us. We buy long lasting foods, meaning they last more than one meal. But its mostly due to necessity as she only gets paid once a month.

I actually spent around that much a month in undergrad. I'll note that I did get a few free meals/week due to working at a dining hall. I never bought alcohol, dairy (I'm lactose intolerant so it wasn't by choice....), or anything I didn't need. Not everything was healthy and it was a lot of packaged food, but when you're broke...well those are your options lol. I was pretty good with coupons too.

I just signed a lease with this apartment called the place @ 117. It's $399 per month per room for 3 bedroom (you rent out a room, not a whole apt). Utilities are included except for electricity. You can choose your roommates or the management office will choose them for you. Also, you can request your preferences too, like female/male, age, etc. I requested graduate students and not huge partiers since I will be studying a lot in vet school although occasional drinking/clubbing might be nice ;)

Pet friendly, 5 mins drive to campus. oh before I forget, you get your own bathroom too.

I just signed a lease with this apartment called the place @ 117. It's $399 per month per room for 3 bedroom (you rent out a room, not a whole apt). Utilities are included except for electricity. You can choose your roommates or the management office will choose them for you. Also, you can request your preferences too, like female/male, age, etc. I requested graduate students and not huge partiers since I will be studying a lot in vet school although occasional drinking/clubbing might be nice ;)

Pet friendly, 5 mins drive to campus. oh before I forget, you get your own bathroom too.
That sounds perfect!

Hey guys! Sorry to intrude on your thread (and congrats to those accepted!), but I was wondering if any of you know if Illinois accepts online classes? It says on the perquisites page that correspondance courses won't be considering to fulfill requirements, but I wasn't sure if correspondance and online classss were one in the same. Probably a stupid question, which is why I figured I'd ask some accepted students before I emailed admissions.

Hey guys! Sorry to intrude on your thread (and congrats to those accepted!), but I was wondering if any of you know if Illinois accepts online classes? It says on the perquisites page that correspondance courses won't be considering to fulfill requirements, but I wasn't sure if correspondance and online classss were one in the same. Probably a stupid question, which is why I figured I'd ask some accepted students before I emailed admissions.

They accepted my physics 2 online and biochemistry online but I sent them the syllabus&course website to make sure it was okay. So yeah, definitely ask them if they accept any particular online class - it's not a stupid question at all!

Got the letter....but the website isn't working for me..

So, I got a letter from UofI stating that I have been officially admitted. This letter was dated the 10th.

However, I never sent in an acceptance. I emailed admissions on the 14th declining my spot (because I kept forgetting to mail the official decline).

This letter was dated April 10th. It's not really a big deal obviously, I'll just have to call them. I still think it's weird that they're officially accepting kids who haven't paid the deposit or even replied to the offer!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else unable to set their enterprise id/password?

Declined my OOS seat, good luck to those on the waitlist!

Oh so here is my 'budget' that I made to help determine my rent situation. I guessed high on all of the figures and made them assuming that I am living alone (which I won't be). So in reality my bills would be lower and my max rent would be higher, especially if I am living with roommates.

Water/trash- $60/month
Electricity- $200/month
Internet- $50/month
Grocery- $100/ month
Misc- $40/month
Car Gas- $50/month
Campus Parking- $660/year
Total- $7,740/ year
Living Expenses – Total = Total rent for a year- $8,240
Max Rent/ month- $686.67/month

*Edited*

Just a few things I noticed missing from your budget: cell phone payment, insurance (health/car/renters), housewares/toiletries (laundry detergent, cleaning products, toilet paper, etc.), and any extra spending money for dining out or alcohol (I don't know your preferences, but I feel like those things will be needed on occasion to combat the stress of vet school!) Maybe these categories aren't necessary or relevant for you, but just thought I'd throw them out there for anyone else trying to make a budget! I also gave myself a bit of a cushion for emergencies such as car maintenance, illness/injury, or unforeseen veterinary care.

Edited to add: and I also would love to know how you manage to only spend $100 a month on groceries! I budgeted $150 for myself, which I thought was a pretty frugal estimate. I do try to avoid most processed foods though, so maybe that's where I end up spending extra...

I had calculus I, public speaking, and French II all as online courses and they accepted all of them so you should be fine.

So the class registration starts on 4/27 and I have no idea what classes I need for the first term. Do we have to register then or do you guys think CVM is going to tell us which ones to register for?

Just a few things I noticed missing from your budget: cell phone payment, insurance (health/car/renters), housewares/toiletries (laundry detergent, cleaning products, toilet paper, etc.), and any extra spending money for dining out or alcohol (I don't know your preferences, but I feel like those things will be needed on occasion to combat the stress of vet school!) Maybe these categories aren't necessary or relevant for you, but just thought I'd throw them out there for anyone else trying to make a budget! I also gave myself a bit of a cushion for emergencies such as car maintenance, illness/injury, or unforeseen veterinary care.

Edited to add: and I also would love to know how you manage to only spend $100 a month on groceries! I budgeted $150 for myself, which I thought was a pretty frugal estimate. I do try to avoid most processed foods though, so maybe that's where I end up spending extra...

Ah the misc part is for any extra small things and I am lucky in that my
phone and insurances are already covered. Its not that I buy a lot of processed foods (although there us a decent amount), it's that I buy things to make in bulk to freeze or make multiple meals out of. I'm also trying not to rent a place at the top of my budget and to live with a roommate to lower how much I'll have to pay utilities. I also have an ok savings. Probably should have mentioned that but I just figured that I would share my budgeting frame work.

So the class registration starts on 4/27 and I have no idea what classes I need for the first term. Do we have to register then or do you guys think CVM is going to tell us which ones to register for?

I believe the UIN letter said that we will receive more information in May about that, I could be mistaken though.

Water/trash- $60/month
Electricity- $200/month
Internet- $50/month
Grocery- $100/ month
Misc- $40/month
Car Gas- $50/month
Total- $7,740/ year

*Edited*

Money for club dues, scavma, other school supplies not covered in fees by the school (these happen).

Also money to have fun, whether it be going out to dinner once in a while, going to the movies, getting drinks with classmates, buying a book that isn't vet med related.

Money for clothing.... new clothes as needed but also coveralls for working with farm animals, boots, and professional dress.

Just some things I can think of off the top of my head. Someone at Illinois can answer better if any of the above world apply.

Anyone interested in living at the place at 117? The four room, 2 bathroom apartment seems to be the cheapest I can find. I have an Australian Shepard coming with me, who is sweet but does not like children

I just signed a lease at Ginger Creek apartments (1 bedroom) - they have great online reviews, very spacious, about 15 min drive from campus (kinda far, but nearby to several grocery stores). Not looking for roomates, but just throwing the apartment complex name out there if anyone is looking for a nice, clean building that overlooks a park.

You will need to sign up for your main classes which will be structure and function I (VM 602-CRN: 54953 AND 54952 for lecture and lab) because I think you guys are now doing your rotations your second quarter. You don't get to sign up for your rotations specifically, they kinda just throw you into whatever you fit in. You will need to register for Clinical Practice I (VM 601-CRN: 54943). If you're having trouble with your enterprise ID then you have to call them and have them add you. Mine wouldn't work when I tried activating it so I had to call them to get it fixed. I suggest using the CRN numbers to register because it makes it so much easier. You guys don't have an intranet class site yet, but once that's up it'll let you know what electives you can take. Since they're changing how the schedule works, I don't know what you can take. If ZooMed is available, definitely take it. Dr. Mitchell is hilarious and his "exams" are fairly easy as long as you show up and pay attention. http://vetmed.illinois.edu/intranet/ this is where all your notes for classes will be hiding once your class has their own link. You register by going through the enterprise site. It's the same location where you check out your financial aid. If you want to take the long way, you can go through my.illinois.edu once you have your user ID and everything set up.

Reactions: 2 users
You will need to sign up for your main classes which will be structure and function I (VM 602-CRN: 54953 AND 54952 for lecture and lab) because I think you guys are now doing your rotations your second quarter. You don't get to sign up for your rotations specifically, they kinda just throw you into whatever you fit in. You will need to register for Clinical Practice I (VM 601-CRN: 54943). If you're having trouble with your enterprise ID then you have to call them and have them add you. Mine wouldn't work when I tried activating it so I had to call them to get it fixed. I suggest using the CRN numbers to register because it makes it so much easier. You guys don't have an intranet class site yet, but once that's up it'll let you know what electives you can take. Since they're changing how the schedule works, I don't know what you can take. If ZooMed is available, definitely take it. Dr. Mitchell is hilarious and his "exams" are fairly easy as long as you show up and pay attention. http://vetmed.illinois.edu/intranet/ this is where all your notes for classes will be hiding once your class has their own link. You register by going through the enterprise site. It's the same location where you check out your financial aid. If you want to take the long way, you can go through my.illinois.edu once you have your user ID and everything set up.

Okay Thank you! I'm assuming even if I dont register for them right when it opens, I can still get into those classes right? I mean in undergrad, you gotta start course registration right when it becomes available because many of them fill up so quickly.

Ooo registration for classes begins April 27!!
Signing up for these various sites - Enterprise, CITES, netIDclaim - is confusing me a little. Where did you see the registration date?

Okay, finally got everything situated. Just looked at my financial aid, and I'm feeling very faint now...
Anyone interested in living at the place at 117? The four room, 2 bathroom apartment seems to be the cheapest I can find. I have an Australian Shepard coming with me, who is sweet but does not like children
Good with cats? The Place is on my list of...places. The rent was around $300-400 for the 4bed/2bath right?

Good with cats? The Place is on my list of...places. The rent was around $300-400 for the 4bed/2bath right?

Yupp he's good with all other animals! And yes I think around $380, and would only need to pay for electricity in terms of utilities. If you're interested we can chat more in private messages or on Facebook!

Water/trash- $60/month
Electricity- $200/month
Internet- $50/month
Grocery- $100/ month
Misc- $40/month
Car Gas- $50/month
Total- $7,740/ year

*Edited*

Good luck getting internet for $50 a month in Champaign, the area is well monopolized and the prices reflect that.

Signing up for these various sites - Enterprise, CITES, netIDclaim - is confusing me a little. Where did you see the registration date?
I went to go register on my student account thing, I think it was with the UIN and it told me when my registration date was.

Okay Thank you! I'm assuming even if I dont register for them right when it opens, I can still get into those classes right? I mean in undergrad, you gotta start course registration right when it becomes available because many of them fill up so quickly.
Your core classes like the anatomy and clinical practice cannot fill up on you because those are required. The elective courses can do that though. I was at work for our last registration and I had to go to my third choice of elective since I couldn't register with everyone else.

They accepted my physics 2 online and biochemistry online but I sent them the syllabus&course website to make sure it was okay. So yeah, definitely ask them if they accept any particular online class - it's not a stupid question at all!

I had calculus I, public speaking, and French II all as online courses and they accepted all of them so you should be fine.

Thank you both! It would be a Biochem class and possibly physics II (or III if I could find an online quarter class) if I can't find an in person physics class that works with work.

I haven't decided if I'm even applying to Illinois this year or am going to wait till next year to include out of state schools, but I will definitely be emailing them to confirm they'd take my classes before I do.

Thanks again!

OH MY GOD I JUST GOT A CALL - IM IN!!

Reactions: 12 users
So what are you guys doing for computers? I know there is a computer thread, but since we have some special requirements I thought we could probably have our own little conversation.

Current students: Were there things on the list of specs they gave you that you never use? Also, what laptops do you have and love, or is there another one you wish you had instead?

So far I'm back and forthbetween a few, I like the Macbook Pro, but I've never used a mac (and I have an android phone) but the Yoga Pro 3 by Lenovo looks pretty awesome, as do a few ASUS' I've seen....

So what are you guys doing for computers? I know there is a computer thread, but since we have some special requirements I thought we could probably have our own little conversation.

Current students: Were there things on the list of specs they gave you that you never use? Also, what laptops do you have and love, or is there another one you wish you had instead?

So far I'm back and forthbetween a few, I like the Macbook Pro, but I've never used a mac (and I have an android phone) but the Yoga Pro 3 by Lenovo looks pretty awesome, as do a few ASUS' I've seen....

I have a Mac Pro and I also got the newest iPad air 2 at Christmas. I'm hoping I'll be good to go.

You'll want your laptop for 4 years so you don't have to mess around.
I have a powerhouse PC for lecture. It's a samsung and I had to downgrade it from Windows 8 to 7 and install an updated wifi card to hit all the a/b/g/n wireless signals. Although now I think you can use Windows 8. I have an Asus T100 For labs, ease of studying, and TRAVEL. It's tablet which has a keyboard that detaches. I use OneNote so everything is synced and I can access my notes wherever I am.

I am trying to decide on a new computer as well, and would be interested to know what current students recommend! Currently, I'm leaning towards either the Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 or the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga.

My internet is ~60ish a month for 100mb/s + HBO + basic cable. (comcast)

When I was in undergrad at U of I a few years back, I paid about $100 a month for Comcast high-speed internet and cable package (I had the second tier cable package, so one step up from basic - the basic package didn't include HGTV, which was a necessity for me!), and that also included the rental fee for the wireless router and cable adapters for 3 bedrooms. In my particular apartment building, Comcast was the only option, which was a bummer. But split between 3 people, $100 a month wasn't too bad, so I recommend living with roommates to cut down on the cost of cable/internet! You could also buy your own wireless router for around $100 to save yourself the $8 per month rental fee. Over time, you could save money that way!

Any current students that also went to UIUC for undergrad remember getting a new NetID for vet school? I followed the directions on the paper they sent out but it just says I've already claimed a NetID. Do we just continue to use our old one?

What does having a NetID does? As in, I got pulled off the waitlist yesterday (I'm still like::soexcited:) so won't be getting my ID for a while. Basically trying to ask: What do you guys see that I don't? :D Is it just info on Financial aid or...?

Hey all, just an FYI that you shouldn't worry about registering for classes right now. ASA will inform you when you need to register and will provide the class CRN numbers so you can do it easily. The above posted CRNs will NOT work, as the curriculum has changed a little bit and you will not be starting off on Clinical Rotations. To my knowledge, 601 is going to be Structure and Function I, and 602 will be Clinical Practice 1. Don't quote me on that though. Long story short, none of your classes will fill up, so don't worry about it. Congratulations to those of you who are attending, look forward to seeing more fresh faces in August!

What does having a NetID does? As in, I got pulled off the waitlist yesterday (I'm still like::soexcited:) so won't be getting my ID for a while. Basically trying to ask: What do you guys see that I don't? :D Is it just info on Financial aid or...?
We can see our financial aid, login to our new emails, and basically access every UIUC website now.
Hey all, just an FYI that you shouldn't worry about registering for classes right now. ASA will inform you when you need to register and will provide the class CRN numbers so you can do it easily. The above posted CRNs will NOT work, as the curriculum has changed a little bit and you will not be starting off on Clinical Rotations. To my knowledge, 601 is going to be Structure and Function I, and 602 will be Clinical Practice 1. Don't quote me on that though. Long story short, none of your classes will fill up, so don't worry about it. Congratulations to those of you who are attending, look forward to seeing more fresh faces in August!
Shouldn't we be worrying about getting into our preferred elective tracks, though?

Oh ok thank you! I wish I didn't have to wait for the official letter to secure my seat. It's just gonna take longer for me to make it official and get my ID.

Oh well, I will be following this thread to catch up on the things I'm missing and ask you guys annoying questions :D

First year, there are only a handful of electives for Fall, so I wouldn't stress about it.

Comcast plans are on their website, some are new customer offers and then after x months they will increase the rate. My husband and I always fight for the same rate every time this happens, and so we've had the same rate for almost 2 years.

We can see our financial aid, login to our new emails, and basically access every UIUC website now.

Shouldn't we be worrying about getting into our preferred elective tracks, though?
You don't really have any elective tracks. You can pick whatever you want up until 3rd year when you need to fill out your rotation schedule for 4th year. I know people who took comparative anatomy (all exotics) but are small/large animal interest. As long as you show up and do the work, the teachers don't care. The only exception I can think of is food animal electives. You have to take the first one to take anymore after that because they build on top of each other.

You don't really have any elective tracks. You can pick whatever you want up until 3rd year when you need to fill out your rotation schedule for 4th year. I know people who took comparative anatomy (all exotics) but are small/large animal interest. As long as you show up and do the work, the teachers don't care. The only exception I can think of is food animal electives. You have to take the first one to take anymore after that because they build on top of each other.
Now I'm confused.... http://vetmed.illinois.edu/educatio...ree/illinois-veterinary-curriculum/electives/

So we do not necessarily have to enroll in those courses? And we can pick and choose the courses as opposed to it being a true "track?"

Side question: Is anyone else leaning towards The Village? I know we discussed concerns with the place a while back, but the bedrooms seem a lot larger than the ones at The Place, and I have to find room for a large rabbit cage. Their 4bed/4.5bath starts at $399, with all utilities except electric.