University of Illinois c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if our significant others are able to wait with us before the interviews?
Thanks!!

Yes. Guests are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if our significant others are able to wait with us before the interviews?
Thanks!!
If parents and other guests are welcome, then I would assume significant others are as well!
I'm dragging mine with me. :p

Reactions: 1 user
I am super excited for the interview! This weekend cannot come any faster.

I have a question for anyone who currently goes here/is familiar with the area:
What are your recommendations for places to eat/explore? On the day of the interview, I'll probably be looking to get lunch and dinner and explore the area a bit, since my interview is done pretty early in the morning.
Thank you in advance!

DP Dough. We have a plethora of Asian restaurants. Guidos.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are yes, and can do the tours and info sessions with you!
Thanks!!

I am super excited for the interview! This weekend cannot come any faster.

I have a question for anyone who currently goes here/is familiar with the area:
What are your recommendations for places to eat/explore? On the day of the interview, I'll probably be looking to get lunch and dinner and explore the area a bit, since my interview is done pretty early in the morning.
Thank you in advance!
There's a little BBQ place near Broadway/University right next to the Chase Bank. It's like Little Piggy's or something but they're really good and not super expensive.

Black Dog Smoke and Ale House is pretty good for BBQ

Reactions: 2 users
I'm from Northern VA and planning to drive up Sunday afternoon, spend the night for my 11:15am interview on Monday, then drive back Monday afternoon. Anybody in the Mid-Atlantic region/ on my way there (via I-70W) interested in carpooling/hotel sharing?

Thanks!!
Just don't turn your tour into a makeout session :p....a girl at my UF interview brought her boyfriend on the tour and didn't seem to understand that she was making a fool of herself...

Just don't turn your tour into a makeout session :p....a girl at my UF interview brought her boyfriend on the tour and didn't seem to understand that she was making a fool of herself...
Ew... Why... She couldn't want until the half hour or so until after the tour was over? Not touching each other for that amount of time isn't going to kill you.

Ew... Why... She couldn't want until the half hour or so until after the tour was over? Not touching each other for that amount of time isn't going to kill you.
Yeah idk. There were a few characters in my interview group, lol. I totally understand the moral support and PDA doesn't bother me, but in a highly professional/judging situation...yeah

Yeah idk. There were a few characters in my interview group, lol. I totally understand the moral support and PDA doesn't bother me, but in a highly professional/judging situation...yeah

Wow. lol. I personally HATE showing PDA, so I'm sure I'll be alright haha

WOW yikes!

Really irritated that it's supposed to snow. I'm only going to wear my interview suit for about half an hour now cause I'm not going to walk around in a snow storm in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really irritated that it's supposed to snow. I'm only going to wear my interview suit for about half an hour now cause I'm not going to walk around in a snow storm in it.

Just as a fair warning, we recently got about 3 inches of snow, but streets and sidewalks are clean YET SALTY. Don't wear you're good shoes until you get inside!

Just as a fair warning, we recently got about 3 inches of snow, but streets and sidewalks are clean YET SALTY. Don't wear you're good shoes until you get inside!

Was definitely going to wear my Nebraska quality snow boots. Shoes are the most important thing, so if I'm not going to be wearing the suit, I'm not going to be wearing the shoes. lol. Those will go in the backpack, away from the outside until I find a bathroom to change into.

I literally don't have any winter clothes :hungover:. It has been close to 80 degrees in California the past several days! My interview is in the early morning. Is it possible to change out of interview clothes after the interview? I want to stay a while for tours and info sessions, is it possible to change out of interview clothes after the interview? I don't want to seem unprofessional though.

I literally don't have any winter clothes :hungover:. It has been close to 80 degrees in California the past several days! My interview is in the early morning. Is it possible to change out of interview clothes after the interview? I want to stay a while for tours and info sessions, is it possible to change out of interview clothes after the interview? I don't want to seem unprofessional though.

Yes absolutely, but remember to wear something nice. Like maybe black pants, flats/comfortable shoes, and a comfy yet still appealing top. And I would borrow a coat from someone :p It is supposed to be a little warmer next week (30's) but today and yesterday both had highs of 18 degrees and with windchill (yay for the great plains states!) we had temps that felt like 1 degree all day.

Reactions: 1 users
Also. part of the tour does involve you guys walking outside! It shouldn't be through snow....but it will be cold for a few minutes!

Yes absolutely, but remember to wear something nice. Like maybe black pants, flats/comfortable shoes, and a comfy yet still appealing top. And I would borrow a coat from someone :p It is supposed to be a little warmer next week (30's) but today and yesterday both had highs of 18 degrees and with windchill (yay for the great plains states!) we had temps that felt like 1 degree all day.
I don't think I've ever experienced weather under like 35 degrees...ever :wacky:. I'm not complaining though, I'm actually really excited to travel and to visit the school!

I'm definitely changing after my interview, since it's at 8:50. That means my dad and I have an hour an a halfish to kill while we wait for the info session and tours.

getting very nervous.... took off for the weekend to prepare :nailbiting:

My efficiency at work has plummeted. I just want to get on the road! I'm stoked! Just have to get through the rest of today and get through tomorrow. But there's not much I really have to do tomorrow, so I'll spend the whole day doing laundry, packing, and cleaning house so my apartment isn't a mess when I get back on Wednesday.

My efficiency at work has plummeted. I just want to get on the road! I'm stoked! Just have to get through the rest of today and get through tomorrow. But there's not much I really have to do tomorrow, so I'll spend the whole day doing laundry, packing, and cleaning house so my apartment isn't a mess when I get back on Wednesday.
I have good feels for you. For my exam, no, but for you, yes.

Excited to see you guys Monday! I also want to apologize on the behalf of my class for all of the lockers wreaking of anatomy lab scrubs. :D

I don't think I've ever experienced weather under like 35 degrees...ever :wacky:. I'm not complaining though, I'm actually really excited to travel and to visit the school!

Ya it's pretty bitter here right now.. 10 does not feel like 35 : (

I have good feels for you. For my exam, no, but for you, yes.

Excited to see you guys Monday! I also want to apologize on the behalf of my class for all of the lockers wreaking of anatomy lab scrubs. :D
Will you be volunteering? Or jut going about your own day as we invade your campus? :p

Will you be volunteering? Or jut going about your own day as we invade your campus? :p
Nah, I'm not volunteering but those that are will be great! I'd say I'd be wearing something specific so you could wave (or throw something....), but I can't guarantee I won't just wear scrubs when I wake up haha! Everyone should be relaxed after this midterm. Or really sad, it's hard to say...

Reactions: 2 users
I'll be the one in the suit.

I'll be the other one in the suit.

I brought one in for my interview at WSU and they actually complimented on how prepared I was. I think its okay just make sure you're not bringing in extra paper with tips/interview prep. But you can write down your questions as well -makes you look really prepared haha
What kind of notebook did you bring. I'm deciding between a composition book or a small little note pad

What kind of notebook did you bring. I'm deciding between a composition book or a small little note pad

For WSU I had a note pad in a nice padded sleeve. I'd say just use anything that looks professional

Well the midterm is done, woo. I'll probably be seeing you guys as I'm helping out with the check in stuff. Althiugh I'm not sure if I'll be doing the actual checking in or guiding people yet.

So can someone just verify this with me.. My friend who interviewed last year said everyone has to be there at 8:00 am regardless of their interview time, but I got the impression you only need to be there 30 minutes before your interview. Am I correct or missing something??

No, you just have to be there 30 minutes before. The registration booth moves places at 9 or 10.

thank you!!!
You do have to be there 30 minutes before BUT if your appointment is later in the day and you show up just 30 minutes before, you miss EVERYTHING. Tours are set to run at set times and informational sessions run only two times that day. You get a packet when you arrive that has a schedule in it. So at the very least you should come earlier in the day and get your packet so you can plan the rest of the day. You can leave and come back, but at least you will know that you aren't missing anything. In my opinion you should plan to do the tour. If you just go to your interview, you are not getting a true picture of the school. And this year in particular would be important to go to the information session with those concerned about the Illinois budget. It's a chance to get your questions answered. Also, we're expecting 2-4 inches of snow starting Sunday so plan your travels accordingly and travel safe. Good luck to everyone interviewing :)

Sooo....was planning on renting a car and driving from Chicago, but with the winter storm I think I better not do that since I've never driven in snow. The train tickets are already sold out for tomorrow. Does anyone know any other safe way to travel from Chicago?

I definitely should have planned for this earlier :confused:

You could fly into savoy from chicago, it's like less than 10 min from the vet school. Not sure if fflights will be delayed from the snow though.

Sooo....was planning on renting a car and driving from Chicago, but with the winter storm I think I better not do that since I've never driven in snow. The train tickets are already sold out for tomorrow. Does anyone know any other safe way to travel from Chicago?

I definitely should have planned for this earlier :confused:
I flew into O'Hare and took a charter bus/shuttle (Peoria) from the airport to Champaign. I bought the tickets online on their website.

So far flights straight into Champaign look to be on-time. Guess we'll see what happens and hope we all get into town for tomorrow. Good luck and happy travels.

Driving in today from Madison, good luck everyone, safe travels...

So... fun story guys..
I'm from eastern PA, near Philly. I left yesterday morning and stopped in Columbus since my boyfriend wanted to see it and I just got accepted to OSU.
We had to bring my dog with because I had no where to keep her since she's 15, not good with other dogs or cats, and does terrible in kennels. My boyfriend and I were going to get some dinner, so we left her in the hotel room. We stopped at a Dollar Tree to pick up bowls for water and food for her since we forgot them. We come back out, and my '95 Corolla's ignition will not turn. Literally, the key wouldn't budge. We tried everything (my dad is a mechanic). So... I call a locksmith because at first I was thinking my key was worn out. I decided before the tech even came out that I didn't need him, but he clearly wanted the $15 service charge, so whatever. He came out, looked at my key, and insisted it was the key and I needed to give him $120 to make a new one... I said absolutely not and I knew it was my car. He insisted they could fix that too. At this point, I was next to calling the cops to get this guy to leave. My boyfriend told him off, said my car is not getting fixed in a shady Dollar store parking lot at 9PM in the city. I forced the guy to take $24 cash and leave haha SOOOO, luckily I know one person at OSU and she came and picked us up and kept us warm haha
We were waiting for the tow truck and the same "locksmith" guy drove up next to my car. I am pretty sure he was going to try to steal it. But anyway, it's now getting a whole new ignition column and its $300 at least, 2.5 hours, and I'm supposed to be on the road to Illinois.
This trip has been hell.
Sorry for the rant, but holy crap, I just want to get to this interview.

So... fun story guys..
I'm from eastern PA, near Philly. I left yesterday morning and stopped in Columbus since my boyfriend wanted to see it and I just got accepted to OSU.
We had to bring my dog with because I had no where to keep her since she's 15, not good with other dogs or cats, and does terrible in kennels. My boyfriend and I were going to get some dinner, so we left her in the hotel room. We stopped at a Dollar Tree to pick up bowls for water and food for her since we forgot them. We come back out, and my '95 Corolla's ignition will not turn. Literally, the key wouldn't budge. We tried everything (my dad is a mechanic). So... I call a locksmith because at first I was thinking my key was worn out. I decided before the tech even came out that I didn't need him, but he clearly wanted the $15 service charge, so whatever. He came out, looked at my key, and insisted it was the key and I needed to give him $120 to make a new one... I said absolutely not and I knew it was my car. He insisted they could fix that too. At this point, I was next to calling the cops to get this guy to leave. My boyfriend told him off, said my car is not getting fixed in a shady Dollar store parking lot at 9PM in the city. I forced the guy to take $24 cash and leave haha SOOOO, luckily I know one person at OSU and she came and picked us up and kept us warm haha
We were waiting for the tow truck and the same "locksmith" guy drove up next to my car. I am pretty sure he was going to try to steal it. But anyway, it's now getting a whole new ignition column and its $300 at least, 2.5 hours, and I'm supposed to be on the road to Illinois.
This trip has been hell.
Sorry for the rant, but holy crap, I just want to get to this interview.
Oh no! I hope it gets better and you are there soon

Driving and snow has started. By Madison ...going through waves of nervousness!

I live in Champaign and I have an apartment and a car so if you need help, just message me! And yes, the snow has arrived! Be safe everyone!

Roads are starting to get bad and verrry slippery, be careful everyone! Good luck tomorrow!!

Anyone else at the Chicago airport hoping there's no delays?

1 hour till I'm there...the roads are all ice ...some parts of the highway are blocked off because patches of ice..be careful!

Driving from Denver through Missouri and the roads are still pretty much find. We're 158 miles away. 905 miles into the trip (not including my 300 miles from Nebraska to Denver) We've been averaging 75 mph. Definitely better coming from the west.