University of Illinois c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So that means 211 OOS interviewing

Members don't see this ad.

Luckily for you guys, that Monday is just after our midterm. My interview was the Monday of midterm week, and you could tell based on the vibe students were giving off haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does Illinois accept more students than spots or do they just pull people off of the waitlist? I've heard of both protocols!

Luckily for you guys, that Monday is just after our midterm. My interview was the Monday of midterm week, and you could tell based on the vibe students were giving off haha.
The tension and stress was definitely palpable last year

Reactions: 1 users
So that means 211 OOS being interviewed this year. Yikes! Big number assuming only about 50% will be offered acceptance. Correct?
I'm just happy that I am 1 of the 211 people that were offered an interview for OOS out of everyone that applied! I've applied to so many schools and was only offered interviews at 2 schools, and haven't been accepted anywhere :(. I'm so excited (and nervous!) to travel to Illinois and so glad they are giving me a chance.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm just happy that I am 1 of the 211 people that were offered an interview for OOS out of everyone that applied! I've applied to so many schools and was only offered interviews at 2 schools, and haven't been accepted anywhere :(. I'm so excited (and nervous!) to travel to Illinois and so glad they are giving me a chance.
Hopefully this will be the one!! Good luck!! I'm really hoping I get in too! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Does Illinois accept more students than spots or do they just pull people off of the waitlist? I've heard of both protocols!
As far as I know, the school accepts as many students as spots, then waitlists everyone else. The waitlist then moves accordingly. I think it'd be really risky to accept more students than spots, especially for IS. For some schools, I've seen that the IS waitlist doesn't move at all some years. Our IS waitlist did move quite a bit for my class, though. One IS-er was accepted like 1-2 weeks before classes started! I would understand accepting more OOS than there are seats.

Also, just as a friendly reminder for everyone...academics are now out the window! It's all experience, interview, and the other non-academic/GRE stuff! (Probably my favorite thing about this school).

Last edited:
For current students! Can anyone explain what the information session includes? Im guess tuition talk, class schedule ect?
Yeah, they'll give you the readers digest condensed version of Illinois vet school life! Talk about tuition, our curriculum (starting clinics 1st year), things like that!

Yeah, they'll give you the readers digest condensed version of Illinois vet school life! Talk about tuition, our curriculum (starting clinics 1st year), things like that!
Adding onto that, you also get a handy dandy packet full of info. Some of that stuff is info you'll need once accepted, so keep the packet until you know you won't need it! You can access the info elsewhere later, but it was nice to have.

I imagine that you guys will get a debriefing on the budget situation. You can't even go into the first/second year classrooms right now, and I'm sure that will be discussed somehow.

As far as I know, the school accepts as many students as spots, then waitlists everyone else. The waitlist then moves accordingly. I think it'd be really risky to accept more students than spots, especially for IS. For some schools, I've seen that the IS waitlist doesn't move at all some years. Our IS waitlist did move quite a bit for my class, though. One IS-er was accepted like 1-2 weeks before classes started! I would understand accepting more OOS than there are seats.

Also, just as a friendly reminder for everyone...academics are now out the window! It's all experience, interview, and the other non-academic/GRE stuff! (Probably my favorite thing about this school).
So they do or dont offer more OOS acceptances over spots. I was assuming they would offer about 100 since they have a class of 70 OOS. Or do they just do the original 70 then offer waitilist?

So they do or dont offer more OOS acceptances over spots. I was assuming they would offer about 100 since they have a class of 70 OOS. Or do they just do the original 70 then offer waitilist?
They'll also answer this exact question on interview day. I don't remember what they told us in 2013... maybe someone else will!

So they are bumping you guys up by another 10 seats? We're at 60 now. Like I said, as far as I know, they don't offer more acceptances than seats for IS. I can't remember what we were told last year or if we were even told anything about it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't gotten an email with my time yet! I hope nothing went wrong, did anyone else not get theirs?

Oops I just read older posts, I'll just call tomo I guess that's so weird that some people never got the email!

I know it's two weeks away and there is plenty of time for change, but for all you travelers, there is 1-3 inches of snow expected for Sunday and Monday of interview day! Just letting you know so you can be prepared and keep an eye on the weather! Of course this is illinois and anything can happen! (It was just 60 degrees and storming here yesterday!)

I know it's two weeks away and there is plenty of time for change, but for all you travelers, there is 1-3 inches of snow expected for Sunday and Monday of interview day! Just letting you know so you can be prepared and keep an eye on the weather! Of course this is illinois and anything can happen! (It was just 60 degrees and storming here yesterday!)
Tell me about it. My building managed to get struck by lightning. We just now got wifi back!

To add onto the weather blurb...my first snow experience here (I'm from Michigan, so not my first snow) was alright. We had maybe 5 inches, but the roads weren't cleared on my side of town until well into the morning. Just allow extra time for the commute. Also, if you are planning on taking Lincoln all the way down, there is a lot of traffic at times, and stop and go.

Oh jeez i hope not, im supposed to be flying in Sunday AM.

Nooooo, I'm on surgical skills and I can't wear long sleeved shirts that week. I'm going to freeze! How can I suture anything if I can't feel my arms?

Oh jeez i hope not, im supposed to be flying in Sunday AM.

No worries, this is chicago! We fly in snow!! But if you're flying into savoy you may get delayed. But 1-3 is hardly anything so you'll be fine! And, two weeks is a long time! Who knows, maybe it'll be 70 and sunny :)

At the end of an interview I am assuming the interveiwer may ask if we have any questions, I was wondering what questions are appropriate to ask at that time?

At the end of an interview I am assuming the interveiwer may ask if we have any questions, I was wondering what questions are appropriate to ask at that time?
The appropriate questions are the ones you have. If you have a question, ask it. Keep in mind you may be able to ask the dean/assistant dean your questions in the info session as well, and on your tour.

The appropriate questions are the ones you have. If you have a question, ask it. Keep in mind you may be able to ask the dean/assistant dean your questions in the info session as well, and on your tour.
I'm always curious if it looks bad if you have no questions. I've heard that you ALWAYS want to have questions if they ask you that.
For my latest interview, I said that all questions I had were answered. And I described what questions I had and briefly described the answers I had already gotten. I'm not sure if that's even appropriate but it seemed like it went over well.

I'm always curious if it looks bad if you have no questions. I've heard that you ALWAYS want to have questions if they ask you that.
For my latest interview, I said that all questions I had were answered. And I described what questions I had and briefly described the answers I had already gotten. I'm not sure if that's even appropriate but it seemed like it went over well.
I'm not really sure. You definitely want to show your interest, but sometimes you just don't have any thoughtful questions to ask :shrug: I don't think an interview is the appropriate time to ask about tuition, the budget situation, or anything else like that. That's what the tour/info session is for. I think I asked the 4th year if he felt this curriculum style prepared him well. I didn't realize at the time that the 4th year class interviewing us hadn't experienced the new curriculum as 1st/2nd years, lol.

Where did you get 70 OOS from? I think the number is still 70 IS and 60 OOS equaling to about 130. I'm very doubtful that they would be adding another 10 students to the class since they already had to do some renovations just to accommodate my class's increase from 120-130. Usually OOS waitlists move pretty decently and I think the safest bet is just to assume that they only offer the number of spots that there are and start moving through the waitlist until everything is full.

Yeah, the website still says 60 OOS.

So I called for my interview time, but since I never received the email I never received the info for what's scheduled the rest of the day... Is there anything else besides the interview? And we just meet at the veterinary medicine basic sciences building 30 minutes before? Thanks!

Last edited:
So I called for my interview time, but since I never received the email I never received the info for what's scheduled the rest of the day... Is there anything else besides the interview? And we just meet at the veterinary medicine basic sciences building 30 minutes before? Thanks!
The most important part of the email is your interview time. Other than that, the email has a link to the schedule/directions/hotel info, which can be found online on their website (I think it is in the previous email too, the one that offers you an interview). And yes, show up 30 minutes before your interview time.

Where did you get 70 OOS from? I think the number is still 70 IS and 60 OOS equaling to about 130. I'm very doubtful that they would be adding another 10 students to the class since they already had to do some renovations just to accommodate my class's increase from 120-130. Usually OOS waitlists move pretty decently and I think the safest bet is just to assume that they only offer the number of spots that there are and start moving through the waitlist until everything is full.
I must of accidently saw 70. Sorry guys! And I agree I feel you should always ask a question, at least one but idk I don't wanna stress about it to much and then mess up my whole interview. But I feel it shows more interest to ask a question at the end. Just don't know what would be appropriate to ask at that time. I'm sure the interviewers don't feel like telling me their life story ect.

I must of accidently saw 70. Sorry guys! And I agree I feel you should always ask a question, at least one but idk I don't wanna stress about it to much and then mess up my whole interview. But I feel it shows more interest to ask a question at the end. Just don't know what would be appropriate to ask at that time. I'm sure the interviewers don't feel like telling me their life story ect.
If it helps, I asked Illi about their repro and therio program, since repro is a big interest of mine.

Are you able to bring in pen and paper to write down your interviewers name for thank yous?

So let me get this straight, 129 IS people are trying to get one of 70 available spots and then 211 OOS are trying for one of 60? just to make sure I understand.

So let me get this straight, 129 IS people are trying to get one of 70 available spots and then 211 OOS are trying for one of 60? just to make sure I understand.
Yes

Are you able to bring in pen and paper to write down your interviewers name for thank yous?
I don't know that you're not allowed to do that, so I guess you could email admissions and ask?

I don't know that you're not allowed to do that, so I guess you could email admissions and ask?

I brought one in for my interview at WSU and they actually complimented on how prepared I was. I think its okay just make sure you're not bringing in extra paper with tips/interview prep. But you can write down your questions as well -makes you look really prepared haha

I brought one in for my interview at WSU and they actually complimented on how prepared I was. I think its okay just make sure you're not bringing in extra paper with tips/interview prep. But you can write down your questions as well -makes you look really prepared haha
You can write your questions down for the interviewer?

The interviews I've been to have had a paper and pen on the table in case you need it. I have yet to use it, but I'm sure you could write down your interviewers names and take it with you! Assuming Illinois will have a paper and pen available...

Just to put in my two cents for my interview. I didn't ask a question about the school at all. I told them about how I was helping a graduate student trap and collect blood samples from bobcats to look at the prevalence of cytauxzoon felis and I was curious about how prevalent they have found in the domestic cats. I think I lucked out on my interviewers as the clinician said he actually gets a decent amount of cats presenting it and the faculty member was a pathologist who had seen it a decent amount also!

this might be a really dumb question but did you shake everyone's hands when you walked in or just sit down and begin??

this might be a really dumb question but did you shake everyone's hands when you walked in or just sit down and begin??
And try not to forget to shake hands again before you leave!

Hey everyone! I just cancelled my interview (accepted elsewhere), so I hope that gives someone else a chance to interview!!! Good luck to everyone next Monday!!! :)

Just a week left, guys! Leaving for Denver at 7 am on Saturday, so only 5 more days of work until I am gone for 5 days!!! I just have to hope my building doesn't burn down. lol.

I am super excited for the interview! This weekend cannot come any faster.

I have a question for anyone who currently goes here/is familiar with the area:
What are your recommendations for places to eat/explore? On the day of the interview, I'll probably be looking to get lunch and dinner and explore the area a bit, since my interview is done pretty early in the morning.
Thank you in advance!

I am super excited for the interview! This weekend cannot come any faster.

I have a question for anyone who currently goes here/is familiar with the area:
What are your recommendations for places to eat/explore? On the day of the interview, I'll probably be looking to get lunch and dinner and explore the area a bit, since my interview is done pretty early in the morning.
Thank you in advance!
Alexander's Steakhouse by the mall is so yummy, but pricey. I've heard good things about Koi Fusion as well. Our best pizza place is currently closed and reopening in March :(

Does anyone know if our significant others are able to wait with us before the interviews?
Thanks!!