University of Illinois c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are my chances of getting off the waitlist tho, I feel with Illinois already doubling the amount the accept for OOS, the shots are slim! :/
You never know. It depends on if/when the students accept or decline their offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted IS! I had my dad bring me the letter to open at the pet hospital I work at. That was a big gamble! His response: "well you have to open it some time, and those people seem to like you"
:highfive:

Reactions: 3 users
Ugh. Alternate :( what are my chances now...
For my class, both waitlists saw decent movement. Don't give up, seriously! For OOS, Illinois sends these letters fairly late (a lot of other schools have sent offers already). So many other OOSers may have already committed elsewhere or gotten into their IS schools.
Is it true that you are either waitlisted or accepted? There is no rejections at this point?
That was true, but I'm not sure if it still is. When it was true, I think they explicitly told you that (at least they did when my friend was interviewed the year before I was).
Anyone know if Illinois would consider sending me my letter via email? I won't be back to my "current address" for another 1.5 weeks, so it would be great to know sooner than that... :/
You'd have to call the office and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone make one I want to meet everybody!!!
I would wait until later in the summer, when your class is more solidified. There is the ASA-made FB page, and then I hear each class has their own secret/hidden/unofficial page (that I know nothing about ;)) that the class makes.

Reactions: 1 user
IS ACCEPTED! I can't wait to meet my future classmates!!! :D

I was waitlisted last year, it is possible to be called off the waitlist! I knew at least 3 ppl who that happened to last year
It's crappy they don't tell you your waitlist spot.. Do they have statistic anywhere of roughly how many waitlist applicant have got called off the list over the last few years or no?

It's crappy they don't tell you your waitlist spot.. Do they have statistic anywhere of roughly how many waitlist applicant have got called off the list over the last few years or no?
IS waitlists almost always move less than OOS. Our OOS moves quite a bit. My class has at least 3 that moved off the IS waitlist, and that's the number I know were waitlisted. There could be more!

IS waitlists almost always move less than OOS. Our OOS moves quite a bit. My class has at least 3 that moved off the IS waitlist, and that's the number I know were waitlisted. There could be more!
How about OOS how many OOS waitlisted were in your class do you happen to know?

To the waitlisted: Don't give up! I got my call that I was in off the waitlist one day while I was at WalMart..in like April. I was all set to go to Canada, but then bam, more choices! It will be okay, I promise. (I'm OOS for those wondering).

To the accepted: yay!! Anyone who knows for sure they're going here and is going to be looking for housing, direct message me as I'm thinking of moving somewhere else! I have one adorable kitty cat (who has been good with my current roommate's small dog) and am pretty easy going as long as you aren't a slob. :)

IS accepted! Excited to meet future classmates!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My letter went to my parents' house in Colorado. So my sister called me and opened it.

OOS ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 26 users
My letter went to my parents' house in Colorado. So my sister called me and opened it.

OOS ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!
CRYING!!!! SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!
How about OOS how many OOS waitlisted were in your class do you happen to know?
I don't know exact numbers, sorry! All I know is that it was quite a few. Being waitlisted is definitely not a death sentence!

I collapsed into tears!!!
I can't. I really can't. I was thinking about you all day today, I am so incredibly happy for you. I can't wait to see you next year!

OOS accepted! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Also, for the record, I'm super happy for you all :highfive:

Reactions: 4 users
I GOT IN :D

Now to decide between UIUC and OSU...

Reactions: 1 users
I just emailed the admissions team, so hopefully they will be able to let me know what my decision is. It would be awesome to figure out where I'm going during spring break so I don't have to try and go through everything once school starts back up again :/

To those who were waitlisted, seriously don't give up hope. I was OOS waitlisted two years in a row. I kind of had given up hope the second time because I was unsuccessful the first time, but I got a call while at work from the school. I noticed the number was from Illinois and started jumping up and down before I even listened to the voicemail, and then I broke down in tears. Never give up, never surrender!

I just got in, I'm OOS and the letter was sent to my home address in California. I called my parents a million times to check cause was scared cause I hadn't heard back, they said they didn't see anything turns out my mom dropped the letter earlier today and just found it under the mailbox. So excited to have been accepted!
If you didn't get in, don't worry I heard the Illinois waitlist is generally pretty good to it's applicants

Congrats to all my buddies who got in let's dance!
:banana::banana::banana:

Sending in my deposit today! Do any current students have any information on horse barns in the area? I'm bringing my guy with me. :)

To those who were waitlisted, seriously don't give up hope. I was OOS waitlisted two years in a row. I kind of had given up hope the second time because I was unsuccessful the first time, but I got a call while at work from the school. I noticed the number was from Illinois and started jumping up and down before I even listened to the voicemail, and then I broke down in tears. Never give up, never surrender!
Ahhh thank you this makes me feel better about it! I've been so upset with myself since I received my wait list letter but now you have given me hope. Thanks!

OOS ACCEPTED!! Question: Do any of you currently own horses near the Champaign-Urbana area or plan to bring your horses with you when you go? If so, I could really use some recommendations for boarding facilities!

Reactions: 1 users
Sending in my deposit today! Do any current students have any information on horse barns in the area? I'm bringing my guy with me. :)
OMG I am wondering the same thing!!! Let me know if you find any info! I'm moving from GA! I was thinking about buying a house with some land, but I'm not used to the winters in IL and would probably enjoy having an indoor arena. I'm currently just trying to find out what my options are and familiarize myself with the area.

OMG I am wondering the same thing!!! Let me know if you find any info! I'm moving from GA! I was thinking about buying a house with some land, but I'm not used to the winters in IL and would probably enjoy having an indoor arena. I'm currently just trying to find out what my options are and familiarize myself with the area.
I'm doing some research. I'll let you know if I find anything good. Yeah, indoors are a must for winter riding in Illinois for me anyway. I have an 18 yo TB who still acts like he's 4 when he's outside in the wind!! What kind of horse do you have?

I'm doing some research. I'll let you know if I find anything good. Yeah, indoors are a must for winter riding in Illinois for me anyway. I have an 18 yo TB who still acts like he's 4 when he's outside in the wind!! What kind of horse do you have?
I have a 23 y/o QH gelding and an 11 y/o TB mare.

As a horseman: Beware Illinois property tax. I would not buy horse property in Illinois.

As a horseman: Beware Illinois property tax. I would not buy horse property in Illinois.
Then again I guess I shouldn't say that since I'm sure I know people trying to sell their farms ;)

Hey guys! This is my second year applying and I finally got in! IS acceptance. Any word on any housing information? Or a Facebook page for us? I know its kinda early still.

Hey guys! This is my second year applying and I finally got in! IS acceptance. Any word on any housing information? Or a Facebook page for us? I know its kinda early still.

If you go back and read the last few pages, a couple of people have posted info about this stuff.

Stone Ridge Square Apartments is a good place to live in Urbana. It is only 2 miles from the vet school and has a more working adult population, rather than undergrads. If anyone decides to go with it, I could get a credit on my rent for referral, if you give them my name. I would greatly appreciate it, as saving money somehow is always great!

Accepted IS! I have a 5-BR, 2 bath, pet-friendly house & I'm looking for some fun (& studious, of course) roommates! It's about a 15-20 min walk to vet med campus. Great location in Urbana! Let me know if you're interested!

OOS ACCEPTED!!!!! Dropping my admin to Iowa because Illinois is my top choice!!!!!! I hope to live in a place close to campus with girls who love music (I'm a band geek--mellophone) and Disney movies!!! I'm going to to be doing the long-distance relationship thing too, so whoever finds themselves in the same boat, and okay with possibly living with myself and a bearded dragon, hit me up!!!!

Same with me being my second time applying and accepted IS this year :)

Mailed in my acceptance and deposit!! Can't wait to hear what's next!! Does anyone know if U of I has a program for administering rabies vaccinations or if these must be done on our own?

so I have been researching places to live.. honestly the place @ 1117 seems SO NICE for everything you get and I really like that students live there.

Mailed in my acceptance and deposit!! Can't wait to hear what's next!! Does anyone know if U of I has a program for administering rabies vaccinations or if these must be done on our own?
You can do it here at our health center, Mckinley, or on your own. If you join our Illinois SCAVMA chapter, you get the perks of rabies vaccine as explained below:

AVMA LIFE and SAVMA members will receive a FREE rabies vaccination benefit ($300 value) with their Student Member Basic Protection Package. Visit avmalife.org for more details, as well as the contact information for the AVMA LIFE agent at your school.

Last edited:
so I have been researching places to live.. honestly the place @ 1117 seems SO NICE for everything you get and I really like that students live there.
Yep, a lot of first years here (including myself) and some upperclassmen, but remember not to be fooled by the pics of the model apartment on their website :)

It's less than a 5 minute drive from the school, but yeah the apartments (especially in the pet buildings) aren't what I would consider nice. Don't expect too much from a pet-friendly college apartment complex. We're not staying here for another year. It's an decent complex to start out at (as is The Village) before you get your lay of the land, though. I actually prefer The Village but they wouldn't allow my rabbit :eyebrow: Noise here isn't terrible, but we also happen to live above a drummer and below someone who thinks it's okay to run across their apartment with their dog at all hours.

I always want to give a warning to anyone who considers the complexes managed by national college-student geared companies. Yes, the perks are great, but the apartments are generally quite crappy. I've lived in four so far around the country and they're all pretty much the same. However, you will want the individual leasing when you're going in blind.

As someone who has lived in Champaign for four years… ALL of the apartments are quite old and crappy unless you're willing to dish out 700+ per month for rent. In general, the further off campus you live the better it gets and more reasonable because they need to persuade students to live that far away. And many apartments around Champaign have breed restrictions (my German Shepherd is a tough sell at many places despite her name "Schatzi" literally meaning "Sweetie").

I would assume it would be through McKinley, the school's health center. I went here for undergrad and I personally haven't had any problems with them at all