University of Illinois c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As someone who has lived in Champaign for four years… ALL of the apartments are quite old and crappy unless you're willing to dish out 700+ per month for rent. In general, the further off campus you live the better it gets and more reasonable because they need to persuade students to live that far away. And many apartments around Champaign have breed restrictions (my German Shepherd is a tough sell at many places despite her name "Schatzi" literally meaning "Sweetie").
Touche! Most of the college-geared rental homes are pretty bad as well. I recommend looking into CCR, they have decent properties.

My only other suggestion is to avoid crossing Prospect when looking. It's not a bad area at all (there are a LOT of rental homes), it just gets super trafficky. A 5 mile drive can take 20 minutes. South of campus is a little bit unsavory. Savoy is generally a good area to look.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. The vet school is in Urbana and I would personally recommend staying in Urbana or Savoy (next door to Urbana). Avoid Champaign unless you're near/on campus.

You can do it here at our health center, Mckinley, or on your own. If you join our Illinois SCAVMA chapter, you get the perks of rabies vaccine as explained below:

AVMA LIFE and SAVMA members will receive a FREE rabies vaccination benefit ($300 value) with their Student Member Basic Protection Package. Visit avmalife.org for more details, as well as the contact information for the AVMA LIFE agent at your school.
That's awesome!! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in a 4 bed 2 bath apartment at The Place @ 117 as a first year and will be subleasing this room out to whoever wants it for next year. I will be moving into a house that I can live with my girlfriend in, sharing the same room, so I need to give this place up. It is actually very nice for an apartment in the area and only costs 370 per month, then with the electric bill ends up being about 400 per month. Apparently I will be paying even less next year because I signed the lease early, so if anyone is interested in subleasing this under me and paying less than market price for a room, send me a message. I can send pictures and such, but honestly the ones on the website do a pretty good job showing what it is like.

OOS ACCEPTED!!!!! Dropping my admin to Iowa because Illinois is my top choice!!!!!! I hope to live in a place close to campus with girls who love music (I'm a band geek--mellophone) and Disney movies!!! I'm going to to be doing the long-distance relationship thing too, so whoever finds themselves in the same boat, and okay with possibly living with myself and a bearded dragon, hit me up!!!!

Hey! I have a 5-BR house, pet friendly. Love music & Disney. Message me!

You can do it here at our health center, Mckinley, or on your own. If you join our Illinois SCAVMA chapter, you get the perks of rabies vaccine as explained below:

AVMA LIFE and SAVMA members will receive a FREE rabies vaccination benefit ($300 value) with their Student Member Basic Protection Package. Visit avmalife.org for more details, as well as the contact information for the AVMA LIFE agent at your school.
Woah what? I must have missed something amazing then haha. I am a part of ISCAVMA and paid out of pocket for my rabies. What is this dark magic you speak of?

OOS ACCEPTED!!!!! Dropping my admin to Iowa because Illinois is my top choice!!!!!! I hope to live in a place close to campus with girls who love music (I'm a band geek--mellophone) and Disney movies!!! I'm going to to be doing the long-distance relationship thing too, so whoever finds themselves in the same boat, and okay with possibly living with myself and a bearded dragon, hit me up!!!!
Lol I have good friend that plays mellophone. I had never heard of it before him & call it his Dr Suess instrument

Woah what? I must have missed something amazing then haha. I am a part of ISCAVMA and paid out of pocket for my rabies. What is this dark magic you speak of?
There was a stipend of sorts, but it definitely wasn't the full cost. I didn't read it that thoroughly since I already had my vaccine coming in. Do you remember how our class fared with McKinley for the vaccine? I feel like some people had issues but I can't remember.

How doable is adopting a dog during UIUV vet school?

Not sure if you saw, but I offered my thoughts on the thread you made for this question.

It doesn't matter what school you're at. What matters is the dog you end up with and your personal ability to tolerate the time commitment and financial strain. Vet student pets are also very much affected by your schedule and stress.

Very doable :) I would be nothing without my dogs. I adopted another one in August 2015. No regrets!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hardly dark magic. The AVMA Life listened to the students saying that we needed more from the insurance so they added this to their package. http://www.avmalife.org/students.aspx

The only thing holding me back from choosing Illinois over the other 2 schools I was accepted to, is the fear of the unknown with the budget freeze.

Illinois would be the best financial decision for my (almost) husband and I, the curriculum sounds awesome, and I like the location the best.

This decision is making me crazy. I really don't know what to do! Other almost/current students, what made you choose Illinois over other schools? Am I letting the state budget issue play too big of a role in my decision? HELP

The only thing holding me back from choosing Illinois over the other 2 schools I was accepted to, is the fear of the unknown with the budget freeze.

Illinois would be the best financial decision for my (almost) husband and I, the curriculum sounds awesome, and I like the location the best.

This decision is making me crazy. I really don't know what to do! Other almost/current students, what made you choose Illinois over other schools? Am I letting the state budget issue play too big of a role in my decision? HELP

I'm not worried about the budget freeze because the large universities will not be effected until last. I am not worried about it.

I was worried about this too at first, since some of the current students would update us on what's going on and it would seem like a pretty bleak situation.
I had talked to my mentor (a small animal clinic owner) about it to see what she thought, and she didn't think that it was anything that I should be worrying about. Growing up in California, I feel like I heard about budget crises a good number of times but it has never affected me as a student.

In the end, I don't think the budget issue played any role in my final decision. There were too many things I like about the school, and I trust that I will still get a good education there. I remember reading (on SDN) that the school is continuing with their renovations out of pocket, and getting money from the state whenever that comes. It was my impression that the renovations were the major thing that was being affected by the whole budget issue? I could be wrong. But if that's the major issue that we would be affected by, doesn't seem to be too bad?

If the government can't agree to a budget by May, Dean Constable said the classroom renovations will be resumed by the CVM out of pocket with hopes of reimbursement from the state. We will do what we need to do!

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the classroom issue. I have a friend who's a second year at U of I and she said it's not so bad having to share classrooms. I'm just worried about clinicians and professors leaving if the budget doesn't get fixed. I understand only a few have left, but if the budget issue isn't solved soon, will more leave?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/blues...ity-illinois-research-bsi-20160218-story.html <<not about VetMed, but it sounds like engineering at U of I is starting to feel the budget issue

I definitely don't mean to be so pessimistic, I'm just trying to make the most informed decision about my future. It's good to see that not many of you are worried like me! :)

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the classroom issue. I have a friend who's a second year at U of I and she said it's not so bad having to share classrooms. I'm just worried about clinicians and professors leaving if the budget doesn't get fixed. I understand only a few have left, but if the budget issue isn't solved soon, will more leave?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/blues...ity-illinois-research-bsi-20160218-story.html <<not about VetMed, but it sounds like engineering at U of I is starting to feel the budget issue

I definitely don't mean to be so pessimistic, I'm just trying to make the most informed decision about my future. It's good to see that not many of you are worried like me! :)
There are other reasons as to why clinicians are leaving besides the budget, and it isn't exactly reasons that would affect us directly. Some clinicians feel they don't have enough of a say in how things are run around here and are leaving for that reason. Others are just retiring and the timing is bad. Others are going to a hospital with more appointments in their field (we have a few services that are admittedly on the slow side). The budget problem is just the straw that broke the camel's back for some.

There are other reasons as to why clinicians are leaving besides the budget, and it isn't exactly reasons that would affect us directly. Some clinicians feel they don't have enough of a say in how things are run around here and are leaving for that reason. Others are just retiring and the timing is bad. Others are going to a hospital with more appointments in their field (we have a few services that are admittedly on the slow side). The budget problem is just the straw that broke the camel's back for some.
Actually, of the clinicians leaving, many are due to personal reasons that have nothing to do with how things are run around here.

Yep, that's why I said some.
There are probably 2 faculty members leaving because of "how things are run." Sometimes the "facts" you post about our institution here are biased and not accurate.

Reactions: 1 users
There are probably 2 faculty members leaving because of "how things are run." Sometimes the "facts" you post about our institution here are biased and not accurate.
Some = not all :) I'm trying to avoid being overly specific about who is leaving and why because it's not my place to blast that.

Also ETA: There are more than 2 leaving for that reason.

Last edited:

What would you say are the services that are on the slow side?
I'm trying to choose between Illinois and Tufts and it is giving me a hard time. What made everyone who had to choose pick here over other places?

What would you say are the services that are on the slow side?
I'm trying to choose between Illinois and Tufts and it is giving me a hard time. What made everyone who had to choose pick here over other places?
Dentistry isn't too busy. Derm is also a bit slow sometimes. Other than that, I'd say the rest of our services are booked regularly.

Illinois is a school with an evolving curriculum and a lot of improvements to come. We have a fairly new dean who really seems to care about the curriculum, which is great. There are options for all interests (both in rotations and electives), and faculty to back it. It's middle of the range for OOS tuition, but if it's the best financial option for you, I'd say that should be your #1 factor. You will get a good education at any accredited school, but I always think it's a good idea to rack up less debt.

I have a tough decision to make too. Ultimately pick where it's cheapest. Then, for what it's worth this is my thinking. What really got me nervous was reading their strategic plan. It makes the place sound like it's falling apart. I don't know who designed that web page but if they are trying to recruit people I don't think that's the way to go. The faculty leaving has been a combination of things, not the mass exodus that I envisioned when I read they had several tenure positions open. Unless they decide to crank the tuition up 5% every year to try and make up the difference I don't think the budget will directly affect things. But unlike the other school I'm looking at, there will be no help financially from the state. Looks as though you sink or swim on your own if you run into money trouble. (I really wish I would've gotten to see the info session while I was there)
The thing that's most interesting about this school is how people love it, even after they've graduated. Most people have a love hate relationship with their alma mater. No one has said to me yet this place is a joke. (& that happens, I can get it out of people) So I guess that's what's most enticing to me. So I've been told, they seem to keep in contact with their alum, and will set you up with a mentor. They don't say "here's your piece of paper, good luck with that" and boot you out the door. Every school you go to says they are hands on. That usually means a husbandry class where I imagine some dead broke something they show you where to put your hands. Kinda like summer camp when they tell you don't walk directly up behind the horse. Most schools expect you to make time for clubs to run cases. The fact they built time in for you to be in the clinic is pretty cool even if you are only playing poor mans tech (which I don't know that's what it is but I know there's only so much you can do your first couple years.) I also heard they were thinking of building in a dead week. A week to study without classes and you get your tests done all in a couple days. I can see that being a plus.
I toured Tufts. It's a great school. Cost of living is insane tho. The school is out in the middle of no where, so you're traveling to the school from somewhere. You have to have a car & a good one, cause winter out that way can be unfriendly. They are very big into their wildlife center and allowing you time to explore things in the profession. They seemed to be very supportive of non traditional students (I don't know about Illinois) the small class size seemed very close knit. But from the questions I asked on the tour it gave me the impression you spend a lot of time staring at a surgeons back.

Last edited:
What really got me nervous was reading their strategic plan. It makes the place sound like it's falling apart. I don't know who designed that web page but if they are trying to recruit people I don't think that's the way to go.

Not going to lie, I don't put a lot of stock in this sort of information. It's all just marketing and isn't what the plan really is in writing. It's the simplified version of what probably is a 50 page document on all the different things they are doing/changing/going to change/etc. You're seeing what they want you to see from a specific perspective and it really isn't everything that's going on. Those booklet things were a waste of paper (in my opinion) meant to make people feel better about the school.

Now that I work in a state college system, I see that the top dogs write up these grand plans (and we're talking the heads of the state college system, not the president of the school) that they send down to the schools in the system. Then the administration looks at what applies to the school and turns around and passes that on to the respective departments. What started as a huge document with the top dogs gets sent to the schools where it's chopped up which is sent to the department even more chopped up which we give to the students which is the simplified 32 page student handbook.

Argh I can't decide!
I'm going to try and ask stuff that I didn't already see on the factor thread:

So I'm looking for the tuition fees..I didn't see it in our letters. The website is for 2014-2015. Should I email the university and see how much it is for 2016-2017? What are the campus fees? Should I expect to add on atleast $3k to the tuition every year?

Also, books...do you buy a lot of books? If you do, are they mostly e-books? (I'm a paper kind of person)

Does this school have a laptop program? I can't seem to find it if they do.

How do they treat attendance there? I rarely miss class but I've been down with the flu all week. (First time in over a decade) & now I'm thinking what happens if I was in school?

How supportive are the classmates there? It seemed kinda impersonal when I was there, but there was so many people I don't think it was an accurate representation.

How safe do you feel campus/Savoy is?
Where is the dodgy part of town?

Anyone have any experience with university daycare? Any idea what the public schools are like? Or know someone else with kids in the vet school and how they get along? Is the faculty supportive? (Cause stuff happens) Is there anything to do with kids, or is it mostly bars & pizza places?

Like I said I'm pretty cloudy from being sick, so I apologize if this stuff has been covered. Thanks.

Argh I can't decide!

So I'm looking for the tuition fees..I didn't see it in our letters. The website is for 2014-2015. Should I email the university and see how much it is for 2016-2017? What are the campus fees? Should I expect to add on atleast $3k to the tuition every year?

Also, books...do you buy a lot of books? If you do, are they mostly e-books? (I'm a paper kind of person)

How do they treat attendance there? I rarely miss class but I've been down with the flu all week. (First time in over a decade) & now I'm thinking what happens if I was in school?

How supportive are the classmates there? It seemed kinda impersonal when I was there, but there was so many people I don't think it was an accurate representation.

Anyone have any experience with university daycare? Any idea what the public schools are like? Or know someone else with kids in the vet school and how they get along? Is the faculty supportive? (Cause stuff happens) Is there anything to do with kids, or is it mostly bars & pizza places?

Like I said I'm pretty cloudy from being sick, so I apologize if this stuff has been covered. Thanks.
Addressing the questions that I can, in order:
I wouldn't expect to add 3K to tuition every year. Our tuition is going up 0.5% for IS students and 2% for OOS students next year and my understanding is that this trend has been similar in recent years. Tuition is unpredictable and largely increasing every year, unless you go to a place that fixes your tuition on matriculation.

However many books you buy depends on the student. Evan's Guide to the Dissection of the Dog is a must. Beyond that it's up to students what they buy. Most of the information will be available in the powerpoints, but Costanzo's Physioology has been an indispensable resource for me in Physiology and Neurobiology and I know others who really liked Cunningham's Textbook of Veterinary Physiology. You can buy however many or few from your booklist that you feel like you'll need.

There's no laptop program--they give you some minimum system requirements and you're free to buy your own from there. We use software to take our exams on our computers and all our lecture notes are online, so you'll need one.

Attendance is required per our syllabus, but they never take it when we're in lecture. The second years had some unannounced Iclicker quizzes to make sure they were going to class. But, nobody's going to punish you if you come down with the flu and can't come to class one day. Attendance is stricter on rotations and you need absences approved. My understanding is that days missed due to illness are made up later.

I'd say overall, the classmates are very supportive and many of the faculty are, there. I've never got a competitive vibe off of our class and largely, everyone is kind and friendly to one another. As with any university, you'll get faculty who are kind of impersonal but I feel like most professors and clinicians are genuinely enthusiastic to work with you and really want you to succeed.

I live in Savoy. It's smaller and quieter than Urbana-Champaign and that confers a degree of safety to me personally. How safe you view campus depends entirely on where you come from. People from very rural areas probably feel less safe than classmates from very urban areas. Overall, though, I don't feel unsafe walking around and feel like the crime rate is about on par with what you'd expect for a large university campus.

Kids are a harder one since I don't know too many people who have them. There was a fourth year student on one of my rotations who had a son, so there are parents here at school. I am aware of a few local museums, but am not sure about others. A serious perk of the school's geographic location (for me at least) is that there's theee major cities that are ~2 hours away, which makes weekend trips possible. Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapoolis will all have nice things to do with children of you can't find anything here.

Addressing the questions that I can, in order:
I wouldn't expect to add 3K to tuition every year. Our tuition is going up 0.5% for IS students and 2% for OOS students next year and my understanding is that this trend has been similar in recent years. Tuition is unpredictable and largely increasing every year, unless you go to a place that fixes your tuition on matriculation.

However many books you buy depends on the student. Evan's Guide to the Dissection of the Dog is a must. Beyond that it's up to students what they buy. Most of the information will be available in the powerpoints, but Costanzo's Physioology has been an indispensable resource for me in Physiology and Neurobiology and I know others who really liked Cunningham's Textbook of Veterinary Physiology. You can buy however many or few from your booklist that you feel like you'll need.

There's no laptop program--they give you some minimum system requirements and you're free to buy your own from there. We use software to take our exams on our computers and all our lecture notes are online, so you'll need one.

Attendance is required per our syllabus, but they never take it when we're in lecture. The second years had some unannounced Iclicker quizzes to make sure they were going to class. But, nobody's going to punish you if you come down with the flu and can't come to class one day. Attendance is stricter on rotations and you need absences approved. My understanding is that days missed due to illness are made up later.

I'd say overall, the classmates are very supportive and many of the faculty are, there. I've never got a competitive vibe off of our class and largely, everyone is kind and friendly to one another. As with any university, you'll get faculty who are kind of impersonal but I feel like most professors and clinicians are genuinely enthusiastic to work with you and really want you to succeed.

I live in Savoy. It's smaller and quieter than Urbana-Champaign and that confers a degree of safety to me personally. How safe you view campus depends entirely on where you come from. People from very rural areas probably feel less safe than classmates from very urban areas. Overall, though, I don't feel unsafe walking around and feel like the crime rate is about on par with what you'd expect for a large university campus.

Kids are a harder one since I don't know too many people who have them. There was a fourth year student on one of my rotations who had a son, so there are parents here at school. I am aware of a few local museums, but am not sure about others. A serious perk of the school's geographic location (for me at least) is that there's theee major cities that are ~2 hours away, which makes weekend trips possible. Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapoolis will all have nice things to do with children of you can't find anything here.
Thanks

Finally got my letter! It got sent to my old address and took a while to get here. Accepted OOS. I got into my top choice school so I've declined admission. Hopefully they'll move someone on the wait list up :) good luck to anyone still trying to get in!

Argh I can't decide!

To answer your first question, here is my OOS breakdown for this past year:
Cost of Attendance
Direct costs payable to the University: Amount
Tuition $47,012.00
Fees $3,958.00
Total Direct Costs $50,970.00
Estimated costs you are responsible for: Amount
Room and Board $13,350.00
Books and Supplies $1,800.00
Transportation $500.00
Other Expenses $2,250.00
Loan Fees $875.00
Total Estimated Costs $18,775.00

Total Cost of Attendance $69,745.00 <--Parking permits are actually like $620 so keep that in mind and there's a fee for using loans that's about $400ish per semester. It varies due to it being a percentage. Healthcare through the school is also $250 per semester. It should be included in the other expenses part but just wanted to mention it.

As far as books, that really depends on you. There's a few that are required and a bunch that are recommended. I buy a lot of them but I know some people don't. All of mine are paper.

They have requirements for laptops but they don't give you one. It's your own responsibility to get something that will work for the class.

If it's actual classes in session, they don't take attendance. You're still responsible for any labs and you have to let them know if you're too sick to attend but otherwise they're not particular. It's rotations that they really care about you being there and you have to fill out paperwork for missed days.

All of my class is super supportive. We're constantly sharing study guides, forming practice exams, and sharing websites or other online resources we found helpful. We try really hard to help each other out and their help is one of the reasons I'm doing better academically this year.

Savoy and campus are pretty safe. Most parts of Urbana are good but I've never lived in Champaign so I don't know about over there. Worst of main campus is dealing with drunk idiots.

No one in my class has kids young enough that needs daycare, so I can't say anything about the school daycare system. I do have a friend who runs a daycare about 15 minutes north of town.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I know of at least 3 of the 13 faculty leaving that are doing so because of how things are run around the school. One of those told me this personally. Others are retiring or have found jobs that fit their goals better than what could be possible for them at UIUC. Conflicting personalities happen and I can't blame them for leaving because of it. Almost everything we as current students post are a bit biased because we don't hear this information firsthand very often, at least my class doesn't.

To answer your first question, here is my OOS breakdown for this past year:
Cost of Attendance
Direct costs payable to the University: Amount
Tuition $47,012.00
Fees $3,958.00
Total Direct Costs $50,970.00
Estimated costs you are responsible for: Amount
Room and Board $13,350.00
Books and Supplies $1,800.00
Transportation $500.00
Other Expenses $2,250.00
Loan Fees $875.00
Total Estimated Costs $18,775.00

Total Cost of Attendance $69,745.00 <--Parking permits are actually like $620 so keep that in mind and there's a fee for using loans that's about $400ish per semester. It varies due to it being a percentage. Healthcare through the school is also $250 per semester. It should be included in the other expenses part but just wanted to mention it.

As far as books, that really depends on you. There's a few that are required and a bunch that are recommended. I buy a lot of them but I know some people don't. All of mine are paper.

They have requirements for laptops but they don't give you one. It's your own responsibility to get something that will work for the class.

If it's actual classes in session, they don't take attendance. You're still responsible for any labs and you have to let them know if you're too sick to attend but otherwise they're not particular. It's rotations that they really care about you being there and you have to fill out paperwork for missed days.

All of my class is super supportive. We're constantly sharing study guides, forming practice exams, and sharing websites or other online resources we found helpful. We try really hard to help each other out and their help is one of the reasons I'm doing better academically this year.

Savoy and campus are pretty safe. Most parts of Urbana are good but I've never lived in Champaign so I don't know about over there. Worst of main campus is dealing with drunk idiots.

No one in my class has kids young enough that needs daycare, so I can't say anything about the school daycare system. I do have a friend who runs a daycare about 15 minutes north of town.

Hope this helps!

@last_rnd My take: Catastrophist/Clover pretty much hit the nail on the head, so I'll just add in my two cents!

I bought all of the books, and I've only opened two (Dyce and Evans, both for anatomy) out of all of the 'required' books. Upperclassmen will start inundating your class with books/materials for sale as soon as your FB page opens up, so you could always wait for that. Or you can message me, because I want to sell my books :D

Did they give you a laptop requirement sheet during interview day? We got one that outline the requirements. Mac users tend to have some minor issues with the software we have to use, but it's nothing major.

No one will mind if you're sick. Please don't spread your germs to your entire class. All of our lectures are recorded, so you won't be having issues there. I will say that attendance matters if you literally don't show up ever, especially to anatomy lab/rotations.

Your class is your family. You will find your 'best friend' group, and there will be the handful of people you can't stand. Think high school. Our first year class is getting closer as the year goes on, but by 3rd/4th years, it's a pretty good unit. You do spend 8 hours a day with these people, after all. Do you mind giving me an example of what felt impersonal? Maybe we could clear it up for you.

I live in Savoy, very safe. Dodgy part is south of campus, down Lincoln. The vet school is relatively removed from the rest of campus, we're kind of in our own little world. We get fairly regular crime alert emails from the campus PD, but nothing I've seen is any different than attending any other large school. To be honest, coming from Michigan State where there are shootings, the crime rate seems less (and less violent) here.

There is The Orpheum, a children's museum, downtown! No one in our class has kids at this point, so I haven't heard of anything relating to the schools, daycare, etc. Again, attendance isn't taken so if your child needs to go to the doctor, it wouldn't be an issue. The thing that will help you the most here is communication with faculty/friends/etc. We want you to succeed here.

Oh, and for the mentor thing, I like it. You sign up for the program as a first year (I'm not sure if you can choose to do it later or not) and are assigned a mentor who is in your desired field of vet med. I believe we also had a choice of which region we'd like our mentor to be in. The program requires you to put in as much as you want out of it, though. It's a great way to network and have your questions answered. My mentor is one of the zoo faculty members and he's already told me about how some externships will only be a phone call away for me since he knows so-and-so. It's great to have someone here who you can turn to in points of confusion/frustration about your career.

At the information session the budget crisis was discussed and the Dean told us over and over not to worry about it. The University has money saved up for this exact issue and plans in advance for a budget crisis. The staff is being paid with this money and like someone else said the university can use this money to continue renovations if the crisis continues. The Dean also stated the crisis will not affect classes or anything regarding curriculum for any of the students. This should not be a factor in your decision to attend this school.
I just spoke with a relief vet at my clinic who chose Tufts over U of I. She told me she regretted this decision because it caused her to graduate with close to 300,000 in debt and the interest has caused her total to climb to close to half a million. I'm sure we all know by now the average salary we can expect to make cannot cover this debt. I'd say make the best financial decision because a DVM is a DVM. Don't put yourself in an unreasonable debt to income ratio if you can avoid it.

Reactions: 2 users
For instate my costs a year is around 32k paid to the school and the rest was room/board/living expenses. I believe I took out 49 or 50k in loans.

As for the attendance thing, rotation attendance is required. But during class usually it's not. If there's a clicker or w/e you have to go or if it's a lab they usually take attendance. For me I go to all the classes at the start of a block to see how well I learn from the professor presenting. If they are reading slides exactly from the ppt or I can't hear them very well then I just stay home. I miss more class than most and I'm doing well.

There was a stipend of sorts, but it definitely wasn't the full cost. I didn't read it that thoroughly since I already had my vaccine coming in. Do you remember how our class fared with McKinley for the vaccine? I feel like some people had issues but I can't remember.

So my only issue was my first shot was in the $200 and, with no notification, I went in for my second one and it was in the $300s. So that super sucked but wasn't THAT big of a deal. Plus the hours are kind of inconvenient for making an appointment once you have started school.

I'm giving up my OOS spot:] good luck to those who are waiting!

Reactions: 2 users

Don't worry about clinicians leaving. Turnover is a normal thing at every vet school. Lots of people are afraid of change that is usually found with professors leaving. The U of I doesn't in anyway have a lack of clinicians. As a matter of fact we have the second most number of clinicians of any US vet school. Also, don't worry about the budget affecting the number of clinicians/specialists here at the U of I. We've actually increased our number of faculty/clinicians DURING the budget freeze because of some deft financial maneuverings by our administration.

Argh I can't decide!

I am also interested in daycare, I will be having my first child this summer (yikes!). I found these places so far. The second seems to be a resource for finding daycare in the area.

http://cdl.illinois.edu/

http://ccrs.illinois.edu/

How many school breaks do you get during UIUC vet school calendar, I know some schools let you have the summer off for the first two years. Are winter breaks a thing?

How many school breaks do you get during UIUC vet school calendar, I know some schools let you have the summer off for the first two years. Are winter breaks a thing?
We get winter, Thanksgiving, and spring breaks through 3rd year (you start clinics right after your third year spring break). You get summers after your first and second years. Our Christmas break is 30 whole days, I loved it!

Our schedule is determined by the undergrad calendar. So all of our breaks like up with undergrad, Winter Break, Thanksgiving, Spring Break. You do get the first two summers off. I have my White Coat Ceremony on 3/13, then I have my OSCE (4 hr practical exam) and milestone (3 hr time limit for written exam) then SAVMA Symposium then Spring Break! Then Clinics until May 2017 :)

Finally got back from spring break to find an acceptance letter IS. 99% sure I'll be attending Illinois, but I'm currently choosing between Missouri and Ohio State too. Has anyone else had to decide between some of these schools?

Thanks! & congrats! That's gonna be a lot! But...if I wind up going there maybe we can help each other out :)

I want to get a U of I CVM hoodie or t-shirt to parade around my campus in.... do the exist? where can I buy one?

I'm dropping my spot at Iowa State in case an OOS is waiting for one :) Illinois was the obvious choice for me :)

I'm originally from Ohio. So I'm pretty familiar with the school. My good friend was accepted to this incoming class. I also know several graduates(although mostly older ones) but if you pm questions I can send them to the people I know