University of Illinois c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I want to get a U of I CVM hoodie or t-shirt to parade around my campus in.... do the exist? where can I buy one?

I'm dropping my spot at Iowa State in case an OOS is waiting for one :) Illinois was the obvious choice for me :)

I bought a shirt from the campus bookstore online

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Our schedule is determined by the undergrad calendar. So all of our breaks like up with undergrad, Winter Break, Thanksgiving, Spring Break. You do get the first two summers off. I have my White Coat Ceremony on 3/13, then I have my OSCE (4 hr practical exam) and milestone (3 hr time limit for written exam) then SAVMA Symposium then Spring Break! Then Clinics until May 2017 :)
Thinking about the OSCEs = :scared: I've heard that they're either really hard, or not that bad considering the chances you have to remediate.

Does anyone know if we will get verification that our deposit has been received? I just can't wait to hear more about what is coming up!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought a shirt from the campus bookstore online
Did you get a vet med specific shirt? I was looking for one but there isn't much of a selection of the general UofI gear on the website, and couldn't find any vet med ones at all.

I'm currently in a 4 bed 2 bath apartment at The Place @ 117 as a first year and will be subleasing this room out to whoever wants it for next year. I will be moving into a house that I can live with my girlfriend in, sharing the same room, so I need to give this place up. It is actually very nice for an apartment in the area and only costs 370 per month, then with the electric bill ends up being about 400 per month. Apparently I will be paying even less next year because I signed the lease early, so if anyone is interested in subleasing this under me and paying less than market price for a room, send me a message. I can send pictures and such, but honestly the ones on the website do a pretty good job showing what it is like.
Are your three roommates guys? I'm a girl, but my boyfriend might also be looking for a place to live.

Did you get a vet med specific shirt? I was looking for one but there isn't much of a selection of the general UofI gear on the website, and couldn't find any vet med ones at all.

No, not vet med specific. There's no vet med bookstore, so I figured any vet med specific gear will have to be earned through clubs and stuff.

Are your three roommates guys? I'm a girl, but my boyfriend might also be looking for a place to live.

All three of my current roommates are also 1st year vet student guys, but two of them are also moving out because one got a dog and they want a house with a fenced in yard. If you sign a lease for a room and have other first years or friends who are looking for a place to live, you can invite them to sign their own leases in the other bedrooms so you can live together.

Hi Guys!
I've been accepted to U of I OOS! Is there anyone who is looking for a roommate or thinking about housing yet?:)

Hi Guys!
I've been accepted to U of I OOS! Is there anyone who is looking for a roommate or thinking about housing yet?:)

Just a little. I'm unsure whether to look for a 1bd or search for a roommate. I'd also really like to take my dog, but he's about 60 pounds and that really limits a lot of places. What are your thoughts so far?

Hi Guys!
I've kind of been looking into things that pop up on here. I don't really know how to even begin looking for a place otherwise. heh.
I know that a facebook page will be established at some point, and I think that most people will be looking for roommates then? (I assume, since more people have facebook but not everyone is on SDN.)

Has anyone heard of Illinois allowing you to defer a year so that you can gain residency?

Has anyone heard of Illinois allowing you to defer a year so that you can gain residency?
As far as I'm aware, no. What I remember about deferral is that it's usually only granted for extenuating circumstances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you're accepted, you can't change your residency unless you're married to an Illinois resident and make at least 10k-14k (I can't remember exactly) a year combined. I think you could possibly qualify on your own if you made that much but that's almost impossible in vet school. Point is, deferring won't be able to grant you in-state.

Just a little. I'm unsure whether to look for a 1bd or search for a roommate. I'd also really like to take my dog, but he's about 60 pounds and that really limits a lot of places. What are your thoughts so far?
Parkside apartments in Urbana have a 75# max for dogs.

Any other incoming first year girls looking for a place to room? I have two rats who are super chill :)

Reactions: 1 users
The Village and The Place also have a lot of large dogs around. I'm not even sure if they have any weight restrictions.

I'm leasing a 4 bed/4 bath apartment in The Village. The staff worker said there are a ton of vet students in that building, there are also a lot of vet students in The Place at 117. I'm just doing a random room mate match, but they take a survey so they at least try to match you with somebody with similar living habits. Its about $415-430 a month and you also get a discount for being a graduate student! :)

Also, do any older students have any ideas for part-time jobs while in vet school? I know classes are the most important thing, but a few hours a week can help with food costs or taking care of my rats.

Also, do any older students have any ideas for part-time jobs while in vet school? I know classes are the most important thing, but a few hours a week can help with food costs or taking care of my rats.
The front desk at the teaching hospital hires for night/weekend shifts. The library hires as well. You can also apply to be on-call for the ICU or as a non-sterile surgical assistant (these last two are on-call only). A lot of the food/drug companies hire reps every year, and those are paid opportunities (usually a semester base amount + extra based on events you plan and whatever). I'm sure there's more, but those are the school-related ones I can think of off-hand! You'll get emails when stuff becomes available. Periodic needs for a pet-sitter come up a lot as well, be it from a classmate or faculty/clinicians. A classmate of mine works Saturdays at a local clinic, another is an Uber driver. There are ways.

Really, as long as you feel comfortable with working and find a flexible job that allows you to work only weekends/nights, you could make it work.

The local grocery store, shnucks is always hiring, and has flexible hours for vet students.

I'm leasing a 4 bed/4 bath apartment in The Village. The staff worker said there are a ton of vet students in that building, there are also a lot of vet students in The Place at 117. I'm just doing a random room mate match, but they take a survey so they at least try to match you with somebody with similar living habits. Its about $415-430 a month and you also get a discount for being a graduate student! :)
I'm thinking about getting a place at the village and doing random roommate as well. In the survey do they ask about late night life? I'm a substance-free type of gal who would rather go bowling or get a soda.

25 y/o female ISO a home and a roommate! I have one dog who is 55 lbs and very well trained. I'd like to live near the vet school, but would also be nice to live near a park or trail system. I am looking for a home with a fenced in yard and would like to get a doggy door installed. I'd love to have a roommate with a dog so our dogs can hang while we are at school. If you don't have a dog, that's perfectly fine too. I ride horses and spend most of my free time at the barn or going on adventures with my dog. We do need a home without cats, sorry. Message me if you are interested!

I work as a delivery driver at night. I know a few people who work at the bowling alley. There's plenty of things, just have to find something you can handle and willing to do.

Im thinking I might wait for the facebook page or just do the roommate match! Depends on prices I guess.

I'm thinking about getting a place at the village and doing random roommate as well. In the survey do they ask about late night life? I'm a substance-free type of gal who would rather go bowling or get a soda.
Yes they do ask about what time you like to sleep and wake up and if you like to party or not! So far the staff has been super prompt with all of my questions and very nice.

Places for the fall are filling up fast from what I can tell. Just a heads up.
They told me the same thing, but there are 2 empty apartments in my building alone lol.

does anyone have an opinion on the place over the village or are they pretty much the same?? also, the 4 bedroom 4 bath is the cheapest option...does anyone think three other roomates will be too crowded?

does anyone have an opinion on the place over the village or are they pretty much the same?? also, the 4 bedroom 4 bath is the cheapest option...does anyone think three other roomates will be too crowded?
I've heard the village is better because there is a swine farm across the place and it smells bad. That's just one thing I've heard. Also I live with 3 other people now and its either fun when you're lonely or you can go into your room when you want to be alone. As long as you all are able to establish living rules its not too many, if anything its a fun experience to have other room mates to go through school with!

I've heard the village is better because there is a swine farm across the place and it smells bad. That's just one thing I've heard. Also I live with 3 other people now and its either fun when you're lonely or you can go into your room when you want to be alone. As long as you all are able to establish living rules its not too many, if anything its a fun experience to have other room mates to go through school with!
I'm at The Place now. Yes, there is a swine farm, but the smell only pops up for a handful of days a month honestly. The Village 4x4 is considerably more space though. You have a lot of privacy but still roommates to socialize with. Their 4x4 is a townhouse so you're not all on top of each other all the time. The rooms are pretty big as well.

Places for the fall are filling up fast from what I can tell. Just a heads up.
Yeah, when I was accepted in 2013, I drove out here in May and apartment shopped for 3 days with my then fiance at the time. Housing can get pretty in demand so if you're picky, I recommend finding a place sooner rather than later. BUT there will definitely be options if you do wait :)

@pinkpuppy9, do they send out the acceptance packet after the April 15 deadline, or soon after you send your deposit?

@pinkpuppy9, do they send out the acceptance packet after the April 15 deadline, or soon after you send your deposit?
I want to say I got it close to June because I had to scramble to get my medical paperwork signed and sent, and it was due at the end of June for us.

Also, FYI for the blue coats: they're unisex so pick your size accordingly. I measured myself, picked my size, and the coats aren't cut for curves at all so I can't button mine even though it matched my measurements :mad: so if you have a bit more to offer like I do, maaaaaybe order a size up. Or if you're between sizes, I'd order up.

Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to go solo or have roommates. I'm hoping to be able to take my min pin and chiweenie if the min pin's eye surgery is successful next month. The mix is fine with people, but the min pin does not like strangers. If the surgery isn't successful, then it's a moot point for me and I'll go for the absolute cheapest option, probably the four bed, four bath. Still making up my mind.

Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to go solo or have roommates. I'm hoping to be able to take my min pin and chiweenie if the min pin's eye surgery is successful next month. The mix is fine with people, but the min pin does not like strangers. If the surgery isn't successful, then it's a moot point for me and I'll go for the absolute cheapest option, probably the four bed, four bath. Still making up my mind.
Yeah you will get a lot of privacy with the 4x4. I would have signed there hands down, but I didn't want to deal with sneaking my rabbit.

Plus, you could always find a decent place for your first year and find somewhere else (or not) for the next three years. That's what we're doing now!

So I've officially decided to attend Illinois and I'm trying to figure out housing/financial stuff. Below are a few questions that I would love some input on, if possible!

- Are there any apartment buildings within biking distance to the school (or at least close enough to walk to during the winter)? It's hard for me to imagine paying over $600 just to park at the school plus whatever my apartment building charges me for parking.
- I saw something about a fee for using loans each semester? Is this for real...? lol..?
- If you're instate, have you had to take out the Grad PLUS loan? It seems like the Stafford/Health professions loan may be enough for me to get by (I'm trying to see if I can get the total COA to about 43-45k).
- Are there any additional fees for the 4th year?
- If I want to live by myself, does anyone have a general range for how much I should allot for rent per month?
- Which apartment complexes are considered a bit more "high end?" I've seen first hand what typical housing is like after living in a large college town, so I'm willing to pay a bit more to live somewhere that isn't disgusting/bug infested/managed horribly.
- If I were to wait until after I graduate in early May to physically go to U of I to look at apartments, would this be too late to find something decent?
- After sending your deposit, when do you typically hear more from U of I (Fb page, etc. - what is typically included in the admissions package?)

P.S. My apologies if any of this has been answered already. I tried to go back through and double check what has already been asked!

Last edited:
So I've officially decided to attend Illinois and I'm trying to figure out housing/financial stuff. Below are a few questions that I would love some input on, if possible!

Sorry I'm only going to answer a few of your questions. May is not too late to look around honestly. Some places say that they fill up fast just so they can get people to sign sooner but I know first years that didn't sign until June/July. There are some places within biking/walking distances but mostly just rental houses unless you want to live closer to the undergrad campus (not a great idea IMHO). Honestly, rent can be anywhere between 500-900 depending on what 'high-end' means to you. I also chose not to pay for parking this year but next year I am definitely buying a parking pass as it is just more convenient. Our winter this year wasn't bad at all but Illinois winters can get pretty icy and cold and our springs can be pretty rainy. I ended up paying someone to give me rides during the winter. It takes quite awhile for UIUC to accumulate all of their packets and stuff as they want to wait until they have the most students accept a seat, then they may have to run down OOS waitlist, and get all their materials together/addresses. It usually includes computer tech information and what you need to buy I believe. You probably don't need to take out the grad plus loan but it depends on a lot of factors, just make a budget for the year and see how much you need to take out for living costs (food, travel, rabies vx, school supplies, rent, bills, groceries...) and adjust your aid accordingly.

Last edited:
Another question since people are talking driving vs walking or biking. I have a Chevy suburban that can carry 8 including the driver. If I offer to car pool people for 2 or 3 bucks a ride, would people take up this offer? I thought about this during interview day because there were so many accidents and stuff and some people aren't comfortable driving in snow/sleet.

@Leopard Spots

- Are there any apartment buildings within biking distance to the school (or at least close enough to walk to during the winter)? It's hard for me to imagine paying over $600 just to park at the school plus whatever my apartment building charges me for parking.
The Place is probably your closest option. The Village is an additional mile or so. I have a classmate who bikes every day. Some of the distance is not exactly the safest biking road and it gets dark out there, so take that into mind.
- I saw something about a fee for using loans each semester? Is this for real...? lol..?
I haven't had any fees...where did you see this?
- If you're instate, have you had to take out the Grad PLUS loan? It seems like the Stafford/Health professions loan may be enough for me to get by (I'm trying to see if I can get the total COA to about 43-45k).
I'm OOS, I'm not sure if there's a difference between residencies when it comes to loans.
- Are there any additional fees for the 4th year?
@bbeventer might have the best answer
- If I want to live by myself, does anyone have a general range for how much I should allot for rent per month?
Depending on where you end up, I'd estimate anywhere from $700-1000. I haven't seen anything cheaper but I also didn't look for a one bedroom for very long.
- Which apartment complexes are considered a bit more "high end?" I've seen first hand what typical housing is like after living in a large college town, so I'm willing to pay a bit more to live somewhere that isn't disgusting/bug infested/managed horribly.
I mean, it is a college town. There are some new high-rises being built downtown now, so I bet those would be a bit 'higher end.'
- If I were to wait until after I graduate in early May to physically go to U of I to look at apartments, would this be too late to find something decent?
I did the exact same thing and had no issues with being told a complex was full. Don't get pushed into anything or be pressured. Very few complexes actually reach full capacity, contrary to what they tell you now. Also, they tend to throw out more signing bonuses the closer you get to the next school year. When I signed in May, I had a choice of a $400 gift card, an ipad, or a cruise just for signing my lease.
- After sending your deposit, when do you typically hear more from U of I (Fb page, etc. - what is typically included in the admissions package?)
I think we got our admissions packet close to June. FB page came late May/early June. We got info on ordering supplies/becoming an ISCAVMA member, info on rabies/medical stuff, and a few other things I cannot remember.

Yes there's fees with using federal loans. It's like 4% or something but usually comes out to about $400. If you look Pinkpuppy on your my.illinois.edu thing and go to finances and then you can look at the details of your account from UIPay. That's how I know we have it.

Yes there's fees with using federal loans. It's like 4% or something but usually comes out to about $400. If you look Pinkpuppy on your my.illinois.edu thing and go to finances and then you can look at the details of your account from UIPay. That's how I know we have it.
Yep, that'd be why, I didn't go with a fed loan! I'm still deciding on what I want for next year....the repayment options are better with the fed loans for sure but my interest rate is so much lower with private...
Lol what is going on. I'm at The Place but not staying. I recommend The Village over The Place, but it is a bit farther for those interested in biking. The majority of your trip isn't bike friendly. No street lights, and you won't hit a sidewalk/bike path until you're on Windsor.

thanks for all the info guys it's been way easier with the suggestions :highfive::thumbup::banana:

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences living in Orchard Downs?

@Leopard Spots the only experience I have is what I've just heard from being here for undergrad, but never actually checked it out.

Pros: super close to vet med campus, literally the closest residential area, right next to the park/garden with a bunch of places to run, away from main campus so not likely to have many undergrads around except from FAR/PAR (two residence halls too far away from main campus for their own good) and people walking in the park
Cons: again, this is what I've heard, not specifically checked out, more families live their instead of students, don't think it's that nice of housing

Not sure on prices or if they allow pets. Maybe someone else can chime in

@Leopard Spots the only experience I have is what I've just heard from being here for undergrad, but never actually checked it out.

Pros: super close to vet med campus, literally the closest residential area, right next to the park/garden with a bunch of places to run, away from main campus so not likely to have many undergrads around except from FAR/PAR (two residence halls too far away from main campus for their own good) and people walking in the park
Cons: again, this is what I've heard, not specifically checked out, more families live their instead of students, don't think it's that nice of housing

Not sure on prices or if they allow pets. Maybe someone else can chime in

They list prices online. No pets -its owned by the University. It is grad and family housing. There are kids and such that live there. But it is right across the street from Vet Med.