MPH University of Illinois - Chicago 2015 Accepted Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone receive the invitation to admitted students day that indicated an official acceptance would be following? If so, how long did it take to get the official acceptance? Thanks!
Seems odd that you would receive an invitation to the admitted students day before being officially accepted. Have you checked the online portal to confirm if you're been accepted? Maybe the email just didn't make it to you somehow.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's odd too, but it says that the official acceptance letter will follow. I feel like I won't relax until everything is official.

I think it's odd too, but it says that the official acceptance letter will follow. I feel like I won't relax until everything is official.
Actually, come to think of it, mine said that too. I didn't pay any attention to it though since I had already received my acceptance. Well congrats on an unofficial acceptance! I've 99% committed myself to going there, so we may end up being classmates!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could anybody from/in Chicago tell me the difference between CTA and the Metra? I've lived in cities with very limit public transit, so I'm finding it difficult to tell which one I'll end up having to use more often. I know Metra only has trains and that CTA is train and bus, but I don't know much beyond that. Will I need passes for both? UIC charges $140 a semester for an unlimited CTA pass (U-Pass), which is a great deal, but they offer no discounts for Metra.

Could anybody from/in Chicago tell me the difference between CTA and the Metra? I've lived in cities with very limit public transit, so I'm finding it difficult to tell which one I'll end up having to use more often. I know Metra only has trains and that CTA is train and bus, but I don't know much beyond that. Will I need passes for both? UIC charges $140 a semester for an unlimited CTA pass (U-Pass), which is a great deal, but they offer no discounts for Metra.
CTA is in the city. Metra runs to the burbs.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah ok. That makes sense. So basically I only need the CTA pass unless I need to go outside of the main city?
Correct. There's really nothing you would ever need the metra for if you live in the city. It's pretty much regarded as a commuter train for people that either work in the city and live in the burbs, or work in the burbs and live in the city. I have lived here for 3 years and have never once used the metra.

Correct. There's really nothing you would ever need the metra for if you live in the city. It's pretty much regarded as a commuter train for people that either work in the city and live in the burbs, or work in the burbs and live in the city. I have lived here for 3 years and have never once used the metra.
How far away is considered the "burbs"? The farthest away we are looking at living would be Edgewater. I know it's only a few miles north of the city, but I think I saw that CTA runs up there?

How far away is considered the "burbs"? The farthest away we are looking at living would be Edgewater. I know it's only a few miles north of the city, but I think I saw that CTA runs up there?
The burbs are outside of city limits, you're looking at at least 20 miles from city-center generally. Yes, the CTA runs through edgewater, and everything within city limits. I used to live in Edgewater, and it's going to take you around an hour(or longer) to get to UIC if you lived in Edgewater.

I would advise staying as close to campus as possible. Chicago traffic is no joke, and the CTA will take you an hour on a good day if you're about let's say an hour on the CTA for what should be a 25 min drive for example.

Edgewater is near Evanston which is pretty far; though I love the Evanston NWU campus. You'll have to switch onto two different lines from what I recall to get to UIC's campus.

If you look at South loop apartments they're a bit cheaper than the north loop area and much closer.

It's up too you, but I would advise staying as close as possible it'll cost more but saving all that time and energy will be worth it. Especially first year.

The burbs are outside of city limits, you're looking at at least 20 miles from city-center generally. Yes, the CTA runs through edgewater, and everything within city limits. I used to live in Edgewater, and it's going to take you around an hour(or longer) to get to UIC if you lived in Edgewater.
Yeah, I noticed the commute would be roughly an hour. I'm used to long commutes though, as I've had to do it for work in the past. I'm just trying to keep it under an hour!
I would advise staying as close to campus as possible. Chicago traffic is no joke, and the CTA will take you an hour on a good day if you're about let's say an hour on the CTA for what should be a 25 min drive for example.

Edgewater is near Evanston which is pretty far; though I love the Evanston NWU campus. You'll have to switch onto two different lines from what I recall to get to UIC's campus.

If you look at South loop apartments they're a bit cheaper than the north loop area and much closer.

It's up too you, but I would advise staying as close as possible it'll cost more but saving all that time and energy will be worth it. Especially first year.
We have looked a few neighborhoods closer to UIC as well. Edgewater is just an option we've looked at. Atlanta traffic is pretty horrible (terrible interstate/roadway system), so I'm pretty used to that and have had long commutes in the past. Where we end up living is going to depend on both proximity to UIC and where my fiance has to work as we are moving together. It'll likely be somewhere between UIC and Edgewater and somewhere along the CTA lines. We really like the Logan Square, Lakeview (although further away from Wrigley), Avondale, Lincoln Square areas. We have two dogs, so somewhere with safe areas to walk in the mornings/evenings is priority to us.

Edit: I really like the South Loop area as well, but isn't it generally a little pricier? Our budget is pretty strict considering I have no idea what sort of income I'll have this upcoming year!

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed the commute would be roughly an hour. I'm used to long commutes though, as I've had to do it for work in the past. I'm just trying to keep it under an hour!

We have looked a few neighborhoods closer to UIC as well. Edgewater is just an option we've looked at. Atlanta traffic is pretty horrible (terrible interstate/roadway system), so I'm pretty used to that and have had long commutes in the past. Where we end up living is going to depend on both proximity to UIC and where my fiance has to work as we are moving together. It'll likely be somewhere between UIC and Edgewater and somewhere along the CTA lines. We really like the Logan Square, Lakeview (although further away from Wrigley), Avondale, Lincoln Square areas. We have two dogs, so somewhere with safe areas to walk in the mornings/evenings is priority to us.

It may just be my own personal belief but commuting with school is a bit harder with projects, exams etc... It's not about being tired but just the time you'll lose that you could have had to study more.

But yes if you have your fiancé with you, makes sense trying to meet around each person's work/school of area.

A few of my friends live in Logan Square & Lincoln park, it's bit far, cheaper rent. I'm not a Chicago native, but it's always felt too me and from what I was told the more north you go in the Chicago area the more dangerous it gets around the Kedzie area. But lol, Chicago in general isn't safe!

Have you both had a chance to visit together and go apartment hunting? I used this app called Trulia when I first started to apartment hunt. I narrowed down my options to $, location, distance enmities I found important which was really a washer & dryer in unit, etc... And chose 5/8 places made a drive out and then narrowed it down to 1 place. It's so different when you come out and see the places versus virtual tours. I think some places also had graduate student discounts. You can ask about that, makes you rent a little cheaper.

It may just be my own personal belief but commuting with school is a bit harder with projects, exams etc... It's not about being tired but just the time you'll lose that you could have had to study more.

But yes if you have your fiancé with you, makes sense trying to meet around each person's work/school of area.

A few of my friends live in Logan Square & Lincoln park, it's bit far, cheaper rent. I'm not a Chicago native, but it's always felt too me and from what I was told the more north you go in the Chicago area the more dangerous it gets around the Kedzie area. But lol, Chicago in general isn't safe!

Have you both had a chance to visit together and go apartment hunting? I used this app called Trulia when I first started to apartment hunt. I narrowed down my options to $, location, distance enmities I found important which was really a washer & dryer in unit, etc... And chose 5/8 places made a drive out and then narrowed it down to 1 place. It's so different when you come out and see the places versus virtual tours. I think some places also had graduate student discounts. You can ask about that, makes you rent a little cheaper.
I commuted the last 2 years of undergrad (although not nearly as long as an hour) and although it was an adjustment at first, I got used to it after a while. I like using the commute time to wake my mind up in the mornings and unwind after a long day of working on stuff/studying.

Chicago is definitely not known to be safe! Most of the people I've talked to that live in/have lived in Chicago say that the north side has most of the safer areas (although they said there are a few areas to avoid). Most of them have told me to pretty much avoid anything south of the loop though. I'm not sure how much we'd enjoy living right next to UIC either. From what I've read, it tends to get a little loud and rowdy due to all of the college students. We currently live in an apartment complex that houses primarily university students and the constant noise from weekday parties gets a little old after a while.

We have not had a chance to visit yet unfortunately. We are planning to visit sometime in April to explore/apartment hunt. We've done lots of looking online, but that's about it so far. Apartment hunting from a distance for a city you've never been to is incredibly difficult and stressful. But I am glad that we'll be moving up there in April/May. I'll love having the extra time to explore the city before classes start. It looks like such an amazing place and I can't wait for this adventure to begin!

Members don't see this ad :)
I commuted the last 2 years of undergrad (although not nearly as long as an hour) and although it was an adjustment at first, I got used to it after a while. I like using the commute time to wake my mind up in the mornings and unwind after a long day of working on stuff/studying.

Chicago is definitely not known to be safe! Most of the people I've talked to that live in/have lived in Chicago say that the north side has most of the safer areas (although they said there are a few areas to avoid). Most of them have told me to pretty much avoid anything south of the loop though. I'm not sure how much we'd enjoy living right next to UIC either. From what I've read, it tends to get a little loud and rowdy due to all of the college students. We currently live in an apartment complex that houses primarily university students and the constant noise from weekday parties gets a little old after a while.

We have not had a chance to visit yet unfortunately. We are planning to visit sometime in April to explore/apartment hunt. We've done lots of looking online, but that's about it so far. Apartment hunting from a distance for a city you've never been to is incredibly difficult and stressful. But I am glad that we'll be moving up there in April/May. I'll love having the extra time to explore the city before classes start. It looks like such an amazing place and I can't wait for this adventure to begin!

Really, south loop isn't bad at all. My friends got a nice loft with a roommate in that area right on MI ave! Going too south or too north gets creepy, but that's all subjective

And yes you'll enjoy it! Best of luck apartment hunting! It'll be great place to explore during your downtime. If you're a coffee lover you'll love all the little hipster cafes all over wicker park, downtown etc...

EDIT: While you're visiting take the CTA to get a better understanding of how it would be on a daily basis during both the times you'll be going too school and back. It'll be a nice little experiment; and you'll get first hand experience of how it is during long rides

I will say that commuting on the CTA is neither relaxing, or a good place to unwind. I'm not saying that it will be terrible, but the trains, especially the red line, you will almost never get a seat, and there will always be a ton of people on the trains, normally all up in your personal space.

I know you said you are moving with your fiancee, so that will weigh on your decision, but I would echo Orchidmph, and say that I would live as close to campus as utterly possible. I don't know who you've got your information from, but I have spent a decent amount of time in University Village, and know tons of med students and residents that lived there, and I don't think the area is loud or rowdy, especially near the med center. Maybe closer to the main campus, but even that I don't think it's loud or rowdy at all.

I will say that commuting on the CTA is neither relaxing, or a good place to unwind. I'm not saying that it will be terrible, but the trains, especially the red line, you will almost never get a seat, and there will always be a ton of people on the trains, normally all up in your personal space.

I know you said you are moving with your fiancee, so that will weigh on your decision, but I would echo Orchidmph, and say that I would live as close to campus as utterly possible. I don't know who you've got your information from, but I have spent a decent amount of time in University Village, and know tons of med students and residents that lived there, and I don't think the area is loud or rowdy, especially near the med center. Maybe closer to the main campus, but even that I don't think it's loud or rowdy at all.

What type of price range would I be looking at for a decent 1 BR in that area? Possibly moving from a city with a very low cost of living, and this is one aspect of Chicago I'm not excited about.

Really, south loop isn't bad at all. My friends got a nice loft with a roommate in that area right on MI ave! Going too south or too north gets creepy, but that's all subjective

And yes you'll enjoy it! Best of luck apartment hunting! It'll be great place to explore during your downtime. If you're a coffee lover you'll love all the little hipster cafes all over wicker park, downtown etc...

EDIT: While you're visiting take the CTA to get a better understanding of how it would be on a daily basis during both the times you'll be going too school and back. It'll be a nice little experiment; and you'll get first hand experience of how it is during long rides
I'm a huge coffee lover. I probably drink far too much of it.

I definitely plan to ride the CTA quite a bit when we visit to get a better understanding of it.

We have a list of apartments scattered all throughout the city (including University Village). We've spoken to a couple of people there that have given us lists of where is good/okay/bad, but they all vary to a degree and I'm really only taking it all with a grain of salt right now. Like I said, we're visiting in April and plan to get an idea of the locations firsthand both during the day and at night. Thanks for all of the input that you and @Orchidmph have provided! It's difficult trying to figure it all out from far away.

I'm planning on getting rid of my car before I move, so although we'll still have 1 car, I'll probably be relying mostly on the CTA. I don't mind crowds so much, but I absolutely hate driving in traffic (if you've ever tried to drive through Atlanta during rush hour, you'd understand my hatred). I'm trying to keep my commute under an hour and preferably around the 30 minute range, so we'll likely end up closer to UIC. It'll be different than I'm used to, but I love a new adventure and hopefully I'll see some of you guys there as well!

What type of price range would I be looking at for a decent 1 BR in that area? Possibly moving from a city with a very low cost of living, and this is one aspect of Chicago I'm not excited about.
You're looking at probably around $850-$950, just west of the medical campus.
Where I would live if I were moving here for school is West Town/Ukranian Village, which is a few blocks north of the school, and you can find a quiet 1BR for around $875-1050.
Chicago is not cheap, not cheap at all.

I'm not sure if I asked this on this forum or not... But if anyone was accepted to the MPH-HPA program I'd like some input on the interview component while I'm waiting.

Thank you !

Will anybody be attending the admitted students day tomorrow? I won't be able to make it, but I'd love to hear about how it goes.

Will anybody be attending the admitted students day tomorrow? I won't be able to make it, but I'd love to hear about how it goes.

Same.

I won't be able to attend, but would really appreciate if someone could post their thoughts on the visit and school

Hmm, so this is kinda off topic...
But, I just realized that UIC has two MCH programs. There's a CFH program and an EPI program. I applied to to the EPI program, but I'm curous now if I only qualify for one of them, and that is what's taking so long for a decision. Anyone applying to either MCH concentration? Any insight?

But, I just realized that UIC has two MCH programs. There's a CFH program and an EPI program. I applied to to the EPI program, but I'm curous now if I only qualify for one of them, and that is what's taking so long for a decision. Anyone applying to either MCH concentration? Any insight?
I think the main difference between the two is the perspective you approach MCH issues from. The epi program is obviously going to look at it from an epidemiological perspecitive, while the CFH program would look at it more from a community/health perspective. I did not apply to the MCH program, but I got admitted to epi and I know that the MCH people take pretty much the same classes but replace electives with MCH coursework.

I think the main difference between the two is the perspective you approach MCH issues from. The epi program is obviously going to look at it from an epidemiological perspecitive, while the CFH program would look at it more from a community/health perspective. I did not apply to the MCH program, but I got admitted to epi and I know that the MCH people take pretty much the same classes but replace electives with MCH coursework.

Thank you. I don't know which one I would actually prefer, either would be good. I am just upset with myself that I didn't notice there were two programs while applying; tunnel vision.

Thank you. I don't know which one I would actually prefer, either would be good. I am just upset with myself that I didn't notice there were two programs while applying; tunnel vision.
Have you been admitted to the MCH Epi yet? It may be possible for you to transfer to the CFH MCH once you're there. You could try talking to the school/current students to see if it's been done before or if it's allowed.

I have not been accepted yet (going slightly crazy). Once I am, I'll make an inquiry into it. Both paths are interesting to me, but I would like to do more hands on work.

I'll try to contact the department and see how globally-focused the CHS program is. The Epi program is externally focused, so I'm just curious if the CHS program stays national.

*I still need to get in first... I'm probably just finding things to stress over.

Anyone in the MPH for Health Policy and Administration program concerned that the HPA program is geared more towards Health Policy and less the Management (Admin) side?

Was anyone able to make it? Thursday seemed like an odd choice of days...

Was anyone able to make it? Thursday seemed like an odd choice of days...
I was unable to attend, as they never initially e-mailed me about the visit day.
And I believe they do it on a Thursday because they aren't in session on Fridays. Or at least they have way less classes than on Thursdays. Though I could be wrong.
I would be interested in hearing what people thought if they did go though.

Seems as if there are still a lot of us still waiting on UIC decisions. They are tied as my top choice, so I'm curious how much longer it'll be. Don't most schools have they 15 April deadline?

Seems as if there are still a lot of us still waiting on UIC decisions. They are tied as my top choice, so I'm curious how much longer it'll be. Don't most schools have they 15 April deadline?
UIC gave me until April 15 to give them my decision. However, I submitted my application back in November. I assume for those that submitted later (and that are getting notified later), the deadline is further out. Their final application deadline is the 15th, so I doubt they are going to rush anybody for a decision.

UIC gave me until April 15 to give them my decision. However, I submitted my application back in November. I assume for those that submitted later (and that are getting notified later), the deadline is further out. Their final application deadline is the 15th, so I doubt they are going to rush anybody for a decision.

Good to know. GW wants a decision by then, which means I need UIC to tell me something. Even running the *what if* scenario in my head isn't working because money plays a roll.

Good to know. GW wants a decision by then, which means I need UIC to tell me something. Even running the *what if* scenario in my head isn't working because money plays a roll.

Same exact situation! Though if April 15th passes by and I hear nothing from UIC I will still be declining GWU. Its the right school, but wrong program :/

Which degree and concentration did you apply to, @Orchidmph?

I'm applying for an MPH with a Health Policy and Management concentration. I am more interested in the management aspect; however GWU for instance only has Health Policy. The Public Management is for experienced students (10+ years).

UIC has a Health Policy and Admin concentration. My only concern though with UIC is that the Admin/Management part is not as focused on as much as health policy. But I do plan on staying in Chicago for work, and it will still work out for me either way much better than GWU.

I'm applying for an MPH with a Health Policy and Management concentration. I am more interested in the management aspect; however GWU for instance only has Health Policy. The Public Management is for experienced students (10+ years).

UIC has a Health Policy and Admin concentration. My only concern though with UIC is that the Admin/Management part is not as focused on as much as health policy. But I do plan on staying in Chicago for work, and it will still work out for me either way much better than GWU.
I remember that now. UIC does seem much better for what you are looking for. Plus, they are very locally oriented, from what I've read.

hi all- i heard back from uic last month but they told me the april 15 deadline isn't so strict! they said people can accept after the date; just wanted to give everyone a heads up!

Reactions: 1 users

I applied via the EPI concentration which is what I intended, but then realized on the hard to get to old site it says to apply via CFH. MCH Epi is under both designations on the SOPHAS app. I didn't realize they had the CFH program either because there is nothing listed on the main CFH page about it, but it is listed on the Epi page!

I got admitted to MPH Epi but none of my correspondence has refereced the MCH concentration.... so I have emailed staff twice with no reply as to whether I was admitted to MCH Epi or Epi in general :(

hi all- i heard back from uic last month but they told me the april 15 deadline isn't so strict! they said people can accept after the date; just wanted to give everyone a heads up!

Do you know if that was for accepting funding offers, or just accepting in general?

Anybody who currently lives in Chicago have any suggestions for must-dos while in the city? I'll be visiting in a couple of weeks to apartment hunt/peek at the school. Also, has anybody visited the school? Trying to decide if I should try to set up a tour or if I should just go look around on my own?

Anybody who currently lives in Chicago have any suggestions for must-dos while in the city? I'll be visiting in a couple of weeks to apartment hunt/peek at the school. Also, has anybody visited the school? Trying to decide if I should try to set up a tour or if I should just go look around on my own?
Depends on what you're into. DM me and I can give you some ideas.

And, I'm in!
I actually got a call from the department head, and my advisor (I had been bugging the advisor with emails).

Wow. So excited, waiting on the email now.

Reactions: 1 users
And, I'm in!
I actually got a call from the department head, and my advisor (I had been bugging the advisor with emails).

Wow. So excited, waiting on the email now.
You already got assigned an advisor? I thought they weren't getting assigned until July?

You already got assigned an advisor? I thought they weren't getting assigned until July?

Oops. It's the person from the Epi Department. The student coordinator, not the advisor; I had to go check his email signature.