University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks. I interviewed on Nov. 16th and they said Dec. 10th to us.

I see. You scared me for a second. Congrats again. I will let you know if I hear anything today.

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, well best of luck! Hopefully we'll both get the packet in the mail soon!

I need to get that magic email first though before I can expect sth in the mail. My interview was not that great so not sure what the outcome will be. Will keep you posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, well best of luck! Hopefully we'll both get the packet in the mail soon!

I got the magic email today. Really excited. But I got a very good offer from a different school so not sure which one to accept. Will keep you posted though !!

did u choose only TC campus?

Yes, I chose TC during the interview. I am out of state though. The good news is that I got the College of Pharmacy Dean's Acadamic Scholarship that covers the difference b/n out of state and in state tuition.

that's awesome. Congrats to you! I'll have interview in Jan. I hope I'll do well on this 'cause it's one of my top choice.

that's awesome. Congrats to you! I'll have interview in Jan. I hope I'll do well on this 'cause it's one of my top choice.

I wish you the best on your upcoming interview, and I hope you will be one of the Class of 2017.

Yes, I chose TC during the interview. I am out of state though. The good news is that I got the College of Pharmacy Dean's Acadamic Scholarship that covers the difference b/n out of state and in state tuition.

Congrats on the scholarship! Where are you from?

Congrats on everyone who got in! :) Is anyone from CA planning to attending Minnesota? Any rec. on how to move there? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently received one of those "automatically qualified" letters in the mail last week. It was addressed December 28th. They said because of my PCAT score (85% composite), I was "automatically qualified" to apply to their school. I am wondering why it would take them that long to contact me with this information, considering I took the PCAT in July?

Also, I am contemplating applying here (very late to me, but not according to their admissions people). I am wondering with such great reviews, scores, passing rates etc. why so few applicants apply? Not that pharmacy school rankings matter BUT it is ranked #3 overall, so I would imagine that there would be an abundance of people applying...?

I believe the activity on this forum does not adequately represent how many people actually apply to Minnesota. I had an interview in early November and there were about 30+ people interviewing (counting both Twin Cities and Duluth)...just that day!

I believe the activity on this forum does not adequately represent how many people actually apply to Minnesota. I had an interview in early November and there were about 30+ people interviewing (counting both Twin Cities and Duluth)...just that day!

Right, but even their admissions statistics, on both their website, and over the phone, say that they have less than half the people apply than other schools.

I just received an interview invite! Exciting! However...the date they sent conflicts with another interview I have. Less exciting. Do you guys know if they allow rescheduling of interviews? Thanks in advance!

Right, but even their admissions statistics, on both their website, and over the phone, say that they have less than half the people apply than other schools.

I would say go for it! It's a great program and the faculty I met at the interview were fantastic. I guess the reason they may have fewer applicants is 1. Tuition is pretty high, especially out of state and 2. Minnesota has some of the coldest temperatures around :). That's all I can really come up with as to why they may have less applicants.

I just received an interview invite! Exciting! However...the date they sent conflicts with another interview I have. Less exciting. Do you guys know if they allow rescheduling of interviews? Thanks in advance!

I rescheduled mine just by sending an email; they were super nice about it!

I would say go for it! It's a great program and the faculty I met at the interview were fantastic. I guess the reason they may have fewer applicants is 1. Tuition is pretty high, especially out of state and 2. Minnesota has some of the coldest temperatures around :). That's all I can really come up with as to why they may have less applicants.

Is it possible to get in state tuition after a year or so?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

Is it possible to get in state tuition after a year or so?

Unfortunately, they said its not possible to establish residency once you start paying out of state tuition. So it is out of state prices for 4 years (and they said something about the 4th year costing a certain percentage more than the other three, might be on the website.)

I do know however that they count in state residency for Minnesota, Wisconsin and I think two other Midwestern states.

Does anyone know if there is a facebook group for the class of 2017 yet? Does anyone have a good idea on how to find a roommate?

Hey I was accepted to UMN twin cities way back in November and being an out of state student I was wondering if any current pharmacy students/or UMN undergrad students can provide some more information with regards to the cost. Obviously being out of state is much more expensive than being in state so I am trying to figure things out.

How much per month do apartments go for around campus? Also are many of them within walking distance from the pharmacy building?

Do many pharmacy students get scholarships after they are already enrolled in the program?

I fell in love with UMN when I went there for my interview but I am feeling discouraged about the cost. So any input would be greatly appreciated (especially from other out of state students who will go through what I am going through...).

Hey I was accepted to UMN twin cities way back in November and being an out of state student I was wondering if any current pharmacy students/or UMN undergrad students can provide some more information with regards to the cost. Obviously being out of state is much more expensive than being in state so I am trying to figure things out.

How much per month do apartments go for around campus? Also are many of them within walking distance from the pharmacy building?

Do many pharmacy students get scholarships after they are already enrolled in the program?

I fell in love with UMN when I went there for my interview but I am feeling discouraged about the cost. So any input would be greatly appreciated (especially from other out of state students who will go through what I am going through...).

hate to break to you, but it would be extremely difficult to obtain residency. Unless you live in near-by states and have relatives in Minnesota. You will need to at least elucidate 3 reasons you want to become a resident before a committee. If there's any signs that you try to obtain in-state tuition, you will likely be rejected. However, schools are usually pretty genrous with scholarship for its out-of-state students andy ou should focus on that if you choose to attend the school.

Last edited:
in the acceptance letter i think they said they would email a list of pharmacy students looking for roommates around april

Hey everyone,

I'm a UMN TC pharmacy student and am currently procrastinating... so I figured I'd answer a few questions :)

Regarding the 4th year tution: After third year you go straight into rotations and pay for 3 semesters. In the end it's nine semesters of tuition.

Scholarships: There aren't many scholarships provided by the school, but if you look around you can find scholarships through other non-academic pharmacy organizations.

State residency: I don't think you can obtain residency in MN if you're just here for school. I'm from MN so I don't know much about this issue, but I'm pretty positive if you have OOS tuition it's for all four years.

Finding housing: Sorry, but I don't have much information on this either as I commute to Minneapolis instead of living in the city. There are a variety of places close to campus (an apartment complex is opening this Fall that's about a block away but you can bet it will be $$$ to live there). These range from brand new apartment complexes to run-down college houses. A good chunk of students live within walking distance and a lot of people bus in from neighbording areas. There are free campus circulators and connectors. Bus passes are $97 per semester (sidenote: FREE in Duluth!) and get you all over Minneapolis and St. Paul as well as neighbording cities. This opens up housing options quite a bit. I would recommend contacting the Office of Student Services for more housing information. If you're curious about if a place you're looking to living falls on a bus line, check out metrotransit.org and go to the trip planner.

If you guys have any questions feel free to message me. Congrats to all of you that have gotten in and good luck to the rest of you that are still in the process!

I currently go to the U of M as an undergrad and live on campus. For those asking about housing, I would advice to start looking now because most of the apartments will be full in the next few months as well as the houses nearby. If you want to be VERY close (1ish block) to the pharmacy school the best bet is the "edge apartments" but they are fairly expensive ($750ish a month to share a bedroom) which is fairly standard for the newer apartments. Another apartment complex is stadium village which is only a few blocks away from the pharmacy school and is $100-$200 cheaper depending. Otherwise your best bet for "cheap" living is dinkytown/como houses which range from $300 a month (como a couple miles away) to $600+ per bedroom in dinkytown. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Can someone explain to me how the picking of the campus works? Do they ask you at the interview or do they kind of assign you to one or how does it work?

I submitted my app in December and still haven't heard anything positive or negative. Are they still offering interviews does anyone know?

Can someone explain to me how the picking of the campus works? Do they ask you at the interview or do they kind of assign you to one or how does it work?

You select at your interview. I think there are 4-5 interview dates, so I think they are still offering.

Ugh I'm gonna submit of supplemental this weekend..hopefully its not too late :-(

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

I am actually looking for a roommate! So if anyone is interested I would love to chat with you and see if we could work something out.

The interview is straightforward; no trick questions. be sure to mention MTM. all in all it was a pretty casual affair.

what is MTM?

OK guys, my pcat chem and Bio were great but the english part lowered my score! anyway I did got my interview invitation!! should I stop worrying about my bad pcat score, because I got invited or it could still hunt me down ???????

what is MTM?

OK guys, my pcat chem and Bio were great but the english part lowered my score! anyway I did got my interview invitation!! should I stop worrying about my bad pcat score, because I got invited or it could still hunt me down ???????

I just submitted my supplemental, how long did it take for you to get invitation to interview?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

hey well i did get an interview as well and my pcat score is pretty low.. my english was 25 something like that..horrible i know! but nevertheless I shouldn't worry about it too much.. if they invited you its because they want to meet you and i thinkkk the interview person doesn't have access to pcat scores.. i thiiiiinkkkkkk!
good luck to everyone!!

what is MTM?

don't worry too much about ur pcat score! the person interviewing you will only have access to your pharmcas and supplemental essays, that's all! no gpa or pcat scores! do well on your interview and you should be fine :)

don't worry too much about ur pcat score! the person interviewing you will only have access to your pharmcas and supplemental essays, that's all! no gpa or pcat scores! do well on your interview and you should be fine :)

Good. No GPA and pcat

Has anyone who already interviewed clue us in on what type of questions they will be asking and how we should prepare? My interview is in a few weeks. Thanks.

Has anyone who already interviewed clue us in on what type of questions they will be asking and how we should prepare? My interview is in a few weeks. Thanks.

Look at the interview feedback page

It took 3 weeks, It was way faster than I expected!

Thanks for the comment. Yes I do know that the interviewer has no access to my pcat and GPA, but in their website they mention going back to all factors again including essays, pcat, gpa and so on, so I think to get the interview the first 7 factors have to be impressive, but I am not sure if the second look will over rule the first one or not! Just being nervous about my interview tomorrow ! Good luck every one.

hey well i did get an interview as well and my pcat score is pretty low.. my english was 25 something like that..horrible i know! but nevertheless I shouldn't worry about it too much.. if they invited you its because they want to meet you and i thinkkk the interview person doesn't have access to pcat scores.. i thiiiiinkkkkkk!
good luck to everyone!!

Thanks that is very encouraging, I guess I have one more day to worry, the big day is tomorrow! Good luck everyone.

To any current students - how mandatory is attending the lectures? If they are recorded and available on Moodle, is it possible to sort through the material on your own? I had seen in a different U of MN thread that some students work full-time and only attend the labs, patient experiences, etc. I'm just trying to assess the feasibility of me being able to attend with a toddler and another baby on the way. Any feedback is appreciated!

To any current students - how mandatory is attending the lectures? If they are recorded and available on Moodle, is it possible to sort through the material on your own? I had seen in a different U of MN thread that some students work full-time and only attend the labs, patient experiences, etc. I'm just trying to assess the feasibility of me being able to attend with a toddler and another baby on the way. Any feedback is appreciated!

Current P2 here. Lecture attendance really varies depending on the professor. Some professors don't care, but a good chunk of them like to resort to methods to keep people coming to class (clicker questions for points, pop quizzes, etc.). Some classes aren't recorded at all and it's not required that professors record the lectures. I can only think of one or two times that the recording system didn't work, but there was one time that a professor got sick of so many people skipping class that he decided not to record the lecture for the day.

There are people that skip class as much as possible and I don't think they're any worse off for it. First year it would have been a lot easier, but second year we have so many exams and quizzes that it can be hard to stay home regularly.

We have quite a few parents with young children and they seem to make it work fine. I bet the Office of Student Services could get you in contact with some of these students if you were interested in talking to them.

tl;dr - Yes, you can get by with mostly watching recordings, but there will be several days each week that you have to come in for non-recorded classes, frequent exams, etc.

What time does the interview at TC end? I'm trying to book a flight and it costs about $200 more for scheduling a flight only hours after!!

What time does the interview at TC end? I'm trying to book a flight and it costs about $200 more for scheduling a flight only hours after!!

Check-in will be at 11:15 am.
Interview day will end at approximately 4:20 pm.

Hey everyone! I just set up facebook groups to make communication easier! :)

Main group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/426534144090939/

Duluth campus: https://www.facebook.com/groups/426534964090857/ (Sorry TC!)

Congrats!! Good luck to those still interviewing!

Anyone else finding that these groups are limited to the UCLA network? I would be happy to make a new general or TC group within the U of M network that everyone could join, or maybe whoever made these groups could change the network settings.