University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So that means I could get flat out rejected after the interview too, right?

Yes, you could, and because of the limited spots open right now (39) surely there will be more qualified people than will be admitted. I am not telling you this to make you give up, but to have your other options open, and expect anything. Good luck all of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you could, and because of the limited spots open right now (39) surely there will be more qualified people than will be admitted. I am not telling you this to make you give up, but to have your other options open, and expect anything. Good luck all of you!

Keep in mind that the number of acceptances always exceeds the size of the entering class. There will be more than 39 acceptances granted in the coming days. In fact, it's quite possible, and even likely, that some of the accepted students have turned down their spots. We do not know how many seats are actually filled at this point.

Yea, last year it says they accepted 220ish? I believe. I can't stop thinking about minnesota now... I know I shouldn't cause I'm not even accepted.. but ughhh.. I hope I don't get in so I don't have to decide between Maryland and Minnesota. It's gonna be the hardest choice ever.. I want to go to minnesota, but it'll be out of my comfort zone I feel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, last year it says they accepted 220ish? I believe. I can't stop thinking about minnesota now... I know I shouldn't cause I'm not even accepted.. but ughhh.. I hope I don't get in so I don't have to decide between Maryland and Minnesota. It's gonna be the hardest choice ever.. I want to go to minnesota, but it'll be out of my comfort zone I feel.

That's my only reservation, too. Being from Texas and now living in CA, I feel like it would be a big change.

That's my only reservation, too. Being from Texas and now living in CA, I feel like it would be a big change.

Don't worry guys, they say "Minnesota Nice" for a good reason lool so common over and it will be fine lol

I feel Maryland is more culturally diverse.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Don't worry guys, they say "Minnesota Nice" for a good reason lool so common over and it will be fine lol

Ha, thanks! If I get in, we'll see. I'm trying to not think too much about Minnesota, because I could very well not get in. I don't want to fall in love with the school if I can't go there.

Ha, thanks! If I get in, we'll see. I'm trying to not think too much about Minnesota, because I could very well not get in. I don't want to fall in love with the school if I can't go there.

Wow just landed in LA. I was lucky enough to sit by 3 Minnesota pharmacy students telling me how amazing their program and school is. That just makes my decision that much harder. They were all headed to the annual apha conference. Lucky me. Learned a lot.

Wow just landed in LA. I was lucky enough to sit by 3 Minnesota pharmacy students telling me how amazing their program and school is. That just makes my decision that much harder. They were all headed to the annual apha conference. Lucky me. Learned a lot.

How cool! Glad you had a great trip and that you got home safely. Did the students on the plane say anything particularly interesting?

How cool! Glad you had a great trip and that you got home safely. Did the students on the plane say anything particularly interesting?

They just talked about how great Minnesota is. Leading the way with like policy making. Like it was a Minnesota student who wrote policy that allowed pharmacist to give immunizations. Etc.. I just asked then questions about classes and housing that I didn't have a chance to at the interview.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

88888888, I got your back. Here is the stats:
27 applicants interviewing today
279 total applicants interviewed ( including today's interviews)
207 applicants reviewed for admission
127 applicants admitted
166 spots in the Class of 2017

I don't quite get this breakdown. The 207 applicants reviewed for admissions means they reviewed 207 out of 279 ppl interviewed right? Which also means 207-127 (80) people were rejected/waitlisted so far?

Waitlisted and unranked. :'(

I put TC only. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
No good: ( I'm scared now. Do they email you or is it all snail mail?

Don't worry too much. I'm sure you'll get in, but even if you don't, you have a GREAT school that has already extended you an offer. Everything has already worked out, and there are no bad options for you!
:) Keep your hopes up!

Got Acceptance email around 10 today, they said that The welcome packet comes through snail mail :):)

No good: ( I'm scared now. Do they email you or is it all snail mail?

It was an email this morning.
My friend put "No Preference" and is on the ranked WL.

Do you guys know if they took in any unranked last year?

It was an email this morning.
My friend put "No Preference" and is on the ranked WL.

Do you guys know if they took in any unranked last year?

Dunno I think Sara said no. But it varies every year.

How long after submitting the supplemental did you guys receive an interview invite?

All this waitlisting is making me really scared. My interview is coming up this friday! So does the way we answer our preferences matter at this point in the application cycle? I'm reading on the school website and it says that it doesn't but it seems like it does based on what we are seeing with the unrank and rank waitlisted people!

All this waitlisting is making me really scared. My interview is coming up this friday! So does the way we answer our preferences matter at this point in the application cycle? I'm reading on the school website and it says that it doesn't but it seems like it does based on what we are seeing with the unrank and rank waitlisted people!

Most people that I spoke to at my interview said they preferred TC. I do believe what Sara said in that your admission decision is not based on your campus selection. BUTTT what if 100% of the interviewees for that day picked TC but no one picked Duluth? Then you are pretty much competing with EVERYONE for a TC spot.

Apparently, I was not as competitive as other applicants who got accepted into TC right off the bat. But I do believe that if I had picked "No preference", I would have at least gotten on the ranked waiting list. Otherwise, if they really didn't like me, I would have just gotten flat out rejected.

In retrospect, I should have put no preference for a better chance = less competition

I selected "Only TC Campus". I don't think that I would be willing to go to Duluth over some of my other choices. It would be nice to receive an acceptance at the TC campus, but if I don't, that's okay too!

Anyone know how many TC student spots are open as of the upcoming March 8th interview date? I live in the TC's but since the TC campus was already full for interview spots I will be interviewing up in Duluth. I plan on putting TC only, however, as I already got into another pharmacy school. Unfortunately, I can't really wait around to be wait-listed as I would need to know ASAP so I could sell my place.

Last edited:
I am also interviewing at Duluth as well on the 8th! As for me, I don't mind going to either campus but I DO really want to go to TC. I'm stuck between either putting either campus but prefer TC or no preference! :(

I am also interviewing at Duluth as well on the 8th! As for me, I don't mind going to either campus but I DO really want to go to TC. I'm stuck between either putting either campus but prefer TC or no preference! :(

Ahh cool I guess I will see you there! Look for the tallest person there and it will probably be me =D, say hi if you get the chance! From what I've seen the Duluth campus looks amazing and the location is great. If I could know back right away if I was accepted into Duluth I wouldn't mind going there. Since I have to sell my condo I would need to know ASAP where I would be getting into. For me that really leaves no choice but to select the TC campus. IMO I think the U of M is worth moving to Duluth for, I would if it was a feasible option for me.

Ahh cool I guess I will see you there! Look for the tallest person there and it will probably be me =D, say hi if you get the chance! From what I've seen the Duluth campus looks amazing and the location is great. If I could know back right away if I was accepted into Duluth I wouldn't mind going there. Since I have to sell my condo I would need to know ASAP where I would be getting into. For me that really leaves no choice but to select the TC campus. IMO I think the U of M is worth moving to Duluth for, I would if it was a feasible option for me.

Yea I heard Duluth is really nice as well! I guess I'll just have to see how I feel once I'm there on Friday. I'll see if I can spot you at the interview. See you then. :)

Hey future pharmacists!

Anyone interested in pharmacy is invited to join our Phestival of Nations! This is an exciting annual event, hosted by MPSO. It is scheduled for Thursday, April 11 in the Mayo auditorium (TC campus) starting at 3:30pm. There will be food, entertainment, and of course, information about pharmacy practice in far-away lands! Anyone interested in pharmacy is invited - even undergrads and those that are thinking of going into pharmacy, not just current pharmacy students. If you were recently accepted into the program (either campus) this is a great opportunity to meet your future classmates and faculty!

Also, if you want to get involved and be PART of the festival, there are plenty of opportunities! Message me for more info!

Last edited:
Yea I heard Duluth is really nice as well! I guess I'll just have to see how I feel once I'm there on Friday. I'll see if I can spot you at the interview. See you then. :)[/QUO

I would recommend Duluth to anyone coming from out of town. TC is more expensive and over crowded, so if you are not already here why put up with it. The two campuses are very much the same, and Duluth is very nice place! I live in TC and will be going to Duluth; it does not bother me a bit! If anyone end up in the wait list ranked or unranked, Yes your choice of Campus will affect you. If you say TC and there is opening in Duluth, you know who is gonna get that spot; someone else who said Duluth!

Anyone interviewing today? If so, would you mind posting the most recent stats? Thanks!

Where are we at?

• 29 applicants interviewing today
  • 306 total applicants interviewed (including today's interviews)
  • 251 applicants reviewed for admission
  • 145 applicants admitted
  • 166 spots in the Class of 2017 (60 Duluth, 106 Twin Cities)

I selected Twin Cities only. I wonder how many others did yesterday. I don't think Duluth would be a bad option, I just really don't want to move.

Also they said: "Applicants will receive a decision letter shortly after March 18th, 2013"

Only 10 days after the interview? Does that seem right? How soon are most of you guys getting your acceptances after the interview?

Also anyone that has been accepted, did you receive your acceptance via snail mail or email?

Thanks!

Also they said: "Applicants will receive a decision letter shortly after March 18th, 2013"

Only 10 days after the interview? Does that seem right? How soon are most of you guys getting your acceptances after the interview?

Also anyone that has been accepted, did you receive your acceptance via snail mail or email?

Thanks!

I'm getting nervous now. So many seats filled. I selected tc only as well. I interviewed last Friday they said shortly after 18th as well and I thought that was fast.

So as of 3/1, 207 were reviewed for admission, and 127 had been accepted. And as of 3/8, 251 were reviewed for admission, and 145 had been accepted. That means 18 additional students were accepted of the 44 that were reviewed -- an acceptance rate of 41%. So nervewracking!

I'm getting nervous now. So many seats filled. I selected tc only as well. I interviewed last Friday they said shortly after 18th as well and I thought that was fast.

Well I think they said something about spring break and wanting to get done with the few they had before it came up. I think their spring break is the week after the 18th which is probably why they wanted to get those letters out.

My guess is a good portion of people put TC only. Those people are unfortunately in competition with one another.

The way I believe the process works is as follows:

1) They review the available information again and make their decision on those who are "accepted"
2) They take all accepted applicants and then look at their location selection.
3) They fill spots proportionally at both Duluth and TC. Meaning that for each (1) student that is accepted and chose Duluth, No Preference, or Either they will also accept roughly (2) students who have selected TC only. My guess is that putting No Preference or Either is the same as choosing Duluth as the number of TC only applicants are rather high.
4) From there they must have a designated number of students they allow at any given interview interval. Meaning that even if every one of the 29 applicants that interviewed on the 8th were amazing the same number of applicants would get in as the last interview cycle (approximately).
5) If they "accept" about 16 of the 29 applicants (going off previous years % of applicants offered admissions of 56%) and if roughly 80% of the applicants select TC only (probably a conservative number based on anecdotal evidence) that means roughly 13 of those selected 16 people will choose TC only. As they fill in an approximate proportion of 1 Duluth: 2 TC those 3 who selected Duluth/No Pref/Either will get in without a problem. The 13 who selected TC only are still "accepted" but as the number of applicants between the 2 campuses are kept proportional only 6 applicants will be invited to attend for 2017. The remaining 7 applicants are still "accepted" but are now put on either the ranked or unranked waitlist.

The numbers I used are just estimates and my guess is that it varies from interview group to interview group. There may have even been times when 100% of the applicants selected TC only and perhaps when not a single person has. From what I've heard (I talk to a lot of undergrad students where I work as we get 5-6 new interns a year there) those stats are fairly accurate.

So I guess it comes down to the fact that if you are "accepted" and you put any option other than "TC only" you will likely get in. If you are "accepted" and you put "TC only" you may get in but you go through another step of determining if you are invited to attend that year or if you are put on either of the wait-lists.

The *good* thing in all of this is that the 145 applicants admitted thus far, that probably also includes those who are accepted but on the wait-list. I'm assuming this as they don't give you a separate wait-list statistic. Maybe I'll call on Monday and verify though.

Well I think they said something about spring break and wanting to get done with the few they had before it came up. I think their spring break is the week after the 18th which is probably why they wanted to get those letters out.

My guess is a good portion of people put TC only. Those people are unfortunately in competition with one another.

The way I believe the process works is as follows:

1) They review the available information again and make their decision on those who are "accepted"
2) They take all accepted applicants and then look at their location selection.
3) They fill spots proportionally at both Duluth and TC. Meaning that for each (1) student that is accepted and chose Duluth, No Preference, or Either they will also accept roughly (2) students who have selected TC only. My guess is that putting No Preference or Either is the same as choosing Duluth as the number of TC only applicants are rather high.
4) From there they must have a designated number of students they allow at any given interview interval. Meaning that even if every one of the 29 applicants that interviewed on the 8th were amazing the same number of applicants would get in as the last interview cycle (approximately).
5) If they "accept" about 16 of the 29 applicants (going off previous years % of applicants offered admissions of 56%) and if roughly 80% of the applicants select TC only (probably a conservative number based on anecdotal evidence) that means roughly 13 of those selected 16 people will choose TC only. As they fill in an approximate proportion of 1 Duluth: 2 TC those 3 who selected Duluth/No Pref/Either will get in without a problem. The 13 who selected TC only are still "accepted" but as the number of applicants between the 2 campuses are kept proportional only 6 applicants will be invited to attend for 2017. The remaining 7 applicants are still "accepted" but are now put on either the ranked or unranked waitlist.

The numbers I used are just estimates and my guess is that it varies from interview group to interview group. There may have even been times when 100% of the applicants selected TC only and perhaps when not a single person has. From what I've heard (I talk to a lot of undergrad students where I work as we get 5-6 new interns a year there) those stats are fairly accurate.

So I guess it comes down to the fact that if you are "accepted" and you put any option other than "TC only" you will likely get in. If you are "accepted" and you put "TC only" you may get in but you go through another step of determining if you are invited to attend that year or if you are put on either of the wait-lists.

The *good* thing in all of this is that the 145 applicants admitted thus far, that probably also includes those who are accepted but on the wait-list. I'm assuming this as they don't give you a separate wait-list statistic. Maybe I'll call on Monday and verify though.

Yea that's how it seems like. Only time will tell!

Yosarrian, you're suppose to hear back around Monday right?

Same. Did you graduate already? Or are you still in school?

Haha supposedly that's when they will send out a letter...I'm a "TC only" guy though, so my hopes aren't high.

Same. Did you graduate already? Or are you still in school?

So you guys interviewed together on March 1st and they said you'd hear back on the 11th?

Good luck to you both!

I graduated from USC in 2011. I'm just doing post-bacc work to finish the prereqs I need.

Ohh I see. Cool.

So you guys interviewed together on March 1st and they said you'd hear back on the 11th?

Good luck to you both!

I interviewed march 1st suppose to hear back around 18th. I believe Yossarian interviewed a week before I did.

Ohh I see. Cool.

I interviewed march 1st suppose to hear back around 18th. I believe Yossarian interviewed a week before I did.

Interesting.. wonder if you guys are going to be lumped in with our interview on the 8th then. I hope I hear back exactly on the 18th.. will save me a $500 deposit at another school.

Interesting.. wonder if you guys are going to be lumped in with our interview on the 8th then. I hope I hear back exactly on the 18th.. will save me a $500 deposit at another school.

What's your other school?