University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wouldn't worry too much if it's only been a week or two, but to set your mind at ease you can call (don't email) the admissions office and they'll confirm that everything made it in and let you know when you might expect an interview.

Thank you for all your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Got the call today accepted!! I can't describe the feeling. Is there a Facebook page for us class of 2018ers

Reactions: 1 users
Ohh I guess I should say I interviewed saturday the 19th. So really quick turn around (3.4 cgpa, 3.1sgpa, 29 mcat)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody heard anything today for acceptance ii held oct 19

Got the acceptance call ! Accepted. Interviewed the Oct 19th ! :)

Just wanted to let all y'all know I was accepted. YAY

FYI: My delay was because I was given a 5 point infraction, I'm still waiting to see if my auto insurance goes up. lol

Can any of you comment on the condition of the small town and if you found any modern amenities there? What do people do for grocery, are there places to live, eat, etc? From what I see, the town looks pretty historic.

Can any of you comment on the condition of the small town and if you found any modern amenities there? What do people do for grocery, are there places to live, eat, etc? From what I see, the town looks pretty historic.

I interviewed there a couple of months ago and although the town is small and historic, about 5 minutes out of town there is a super walmart and other newer stores. Hopefully someone that lives there now could help you more but I would definitely say that although it is a small town you are not in the middle of no where.

Just wanted to let all y'all know I was accepted. YAY

FYI: My delay was because I was given a 5 point infraction, I'm still waiting to see if my auto insurance goes up. lol

Did you get the call or found out in the mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there much racism in Kentucky? I am not white.

I wouldn't say it's racist. There are plenty of people in the current classes who are not white and didn't seem to deterred. You're probably not going to find any ethnic markets though.

I wouldn't say it's racist. There are plenty of people in the current classes who are not white and didn't seem to deterred. You're probably not going to find any ethnic markets though.

Alright. The living conditions play a large role in where I will accept to attend. So far I have been looking at apartments and there seems to be only one, but its quite expensive for country living at $850-$900 a month for a single.

Did you get the call or found out in the mail?

The Dean will call. If you don't hear something in the week following your interview the chances of acceptance are very low.

Have there been any other ii's sent out recently? I have been complete for over a month and hoping for an ii, but haven't heard much lately.

Hey all! I got an interview for this Saturday, November 2. I'm flying in to Charleston, WV at about 3 PM and I've rented a car if anyone is interested in splitting it or something. PM me if you'd like. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hey all! I got an interview for this Saturday, November 2. I'm flying in to Charleston, WV at about 3 PM and I've rented a car if anyone is interested in splitting it or something. PM me if you'd like. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Watch out for those damn car rental companies. Those crooks tried to sell me everything they can possibly think of (several different insurance policies, GPS, roadside service, and if you don't return a full tank they only charge $9.99 per gallon). Here is some advice, nearly all personal car insurance policies offer insurance for rentals and VISA also offers coverage secondary to other policies. They will push hard to sell the "add ons" because they get commission.

Kinda curious why KYCOMs page isn't getting more love I was pretty impressed with it but seems like its kinda back burner on SDN. Anyone have any guesses why that might be? As someone with an acceptance leaning towards attending I'm just curious why kycom seems to get very little love

Kinda curious why KYCOMs page isn't getting more love I was pretty impressed with it but seems like its kinda back burner on SDN. Anyone have any guesses why that might be? As someone with an acceptance leaning towards attending I'm just curious why kycom seems to get very little love
I agree. I fell in love with KYCOM and right now it is at the top of my list. I have interviewed at Nova, LMU and going to Touro-NV & ATStill KCOM soon. Great faculty, students seemed very happy and facilities were great. Can't beat the price either.

It might just be the numbers in general. Half the amount of people apply to KYCOM as they do, say, Nova. And make that even less by people who actually use SDN. I wouldn't take it to heart too much. If you like the school that's what's important :D

It might just be the numbers in general. Half the amount of people apply to KYCOM as they do, say, Nova. And make that even less by people who actually use SDN. I wouldn't take it to heart too much. If you like the school that's what's important :D

For me the only negative for me is the location and that is not because its rural, but because it is so far from home. I thought this school was terrific and very affordable. They pay for so much stuff that other schools don't (COMLEX prep and test, ipad, laptop, equipment....). All that adds up to at least 5k. The only thing I didn't like was the dress code. I am also surprised by the low number of people on this thread, but wouldn't be concerned about it.

I am on way to Kentucky right now, I have an interview tomorrow. Is there anybody else interviewing tomorrow? Any advice?

For me the only negative for me is the location and that is not because its rural, but because it is so far from home. I thought this school was terrific and very affordable. They pay for so much stuff that other schools don't (COMLEX prep and test, ipad, laptop, equipment....). All that adds up to at least 5k. The only thing I didn't like was the dress code. I am also surprised by the low number of people on this thread, but wouldn't be concerned about it.
A lot of schools actually have the dress code of business causal, which surprised me. At the same time, they said you wear scrubs three times a week.

I am on way to Kentucky right now, I have an interview tomorrow. Is there anybody else interviewing tomorrow? Any advice?

Don't screw up haha.

Be yourself and you will do fine. Good luck

I interviewed this past Friday and wanted to add my comments about my experience in case any future interviewees are interested.

The interview itself was great. Conversational: tell me about yourself, why DO, what qualities should a physician have, why KYCOM. The faculty were all very nice! Come prepared with questions for the student ambassadors and the faculty!

I really liked the campus, even though it was very small. The facilities where the medical school classes/labs are look very new. The library on campus and other buildings are old but give it a college campus feel (again very small though, so if you're like me coming from a huge campus, it will be an adjustment). Free parking. Med students only sections of library, which is great so we aren't competing with undergrads for study space (only each other haha). The student to cadaver ratio is awesome (about 4:1) and fresh cadavers (within a yr). OMT lab looks nice (don't have another one to compare to). The provided lap top, ipad, etc. is a great bonus on top of relatively low tuition. I love that they have a course in nutrition.

I'm not too thrilled about professional dress code, although the first years said that they wear scrubs three times a week. Class is 8-3 most days and class is mandatory. This is just too much in my opinion and compared to other schools that only do 8-12... I don't always benefit from lectures so this is something that I'm heavily considering. Other than the historic downtown part, the city itself isn't very well maintained. It's ashamed because the landscape is so beautiful (esp. during autumn.), but too many houses and properties are just not well kept. The city itself has Walmart, fast food, sit down restaurants. But since the area is rural, there isn't a whole foods or trader joes anywhere within 100 miles (sucks).

The housing market consists of some apt complexes and landlords that are very old school and only go by word of mouth so once you've been accepted and join the facebook group, that will be the best place to look out for posts about houses for rent on there.

Overall, I walked out of the interview with great feelings. It's not a place I see myself for many years but I think I could do two and receive a great education out of it. I'm hoping to receive a call this week! :)

I interviewed this past Friday and wanted to add my comments about my experience in case any future interviewees are interested.I really liked the campus, even though it was very small. The facilities where the medical school classes/labs are look very new. The library on campus and other buildings are old but give it a college campus feel (again very small though, so if you're like me coming from a huge campus, it will be an adjustment). Free parking. Med students only sections of library, which is great so we aren't competing with undergrads for study space (only each other haha). The student to cadaver ratio is awesome (about 4:1) and fresh cadavers (within a yr). OMT lab looks nice (don't have another one to compare to). The provided lap top, ipad, etc. is a great bonus on top of relatively low tuition. I love that they have a course in nutrition.
I'm not too thrilled about professional dress code, although the first years said that they wear scrubs three times a week. Class is 8-3 most days and class is mandatory. This is just too much in my opinion and compared to other schools that only do 8-12... I don't always benefit from lectures so this is something that I'm heavily considering. Other than the historic downtown part, the city itself isn't very well maintained. It's ashamed because the landscape is so beautiful (esp. during autumn.), but too many houses and properties are just not well kept. The city itself has Walmart, fast food, sit down restaurants. But since the area is rural, there isn't a whole foods or trader joes anywhere within 100 miles (sucks).Overall, I walked out of the interview with great feelings. It's not a place I see myself for many years but I think I could do two and receive a great education out of it. I'm hoping to receive a call this week! :)

I was also there for the interview, and I have to say it went very well. I would add that the downtown area for some reason was deserted after 5pm on a Friday. I didn't understand why it would be so empty after the evening hours, like where did all the UPike undergrads go? I went downtown to a restaurant and I was the only one there, aside from some locals. The location is super rural (the incoming highway doesn't have street lights), but I agree with ^ that I could live here for a few years and then move closer to a higher population town or something. The town reminds me of my undergrad so I'm kinda used to it. The students were nice and very welcoming, although some of them were exhibiting snobby behaviors. But I guess you find those types in every med school so it doesn't really matter.

This school is now at the top of my list. Hope to get accepted.

[quot"vman19, post: 14593559, member: 566201"]anyone else wicked anxious today?[/quote]
Me lol I'm nervous. I wonder if they'll call today

[quot"vman19, post: 14593559, member: 566201"]anyone else wicked anxious today?
Me lol I'm nervous. I wonder if they'll call today[/quote]

When did you interview elam1001?

Yeah, I'm really hoping for my first acceptance! I interviewed 11/2 (Saturday).

me too about the first acceptance,a nd me too about interviewing saturday. I wonder if we met? this whole call thing is nice but if I wait these next 2 days and dont get one its gonna be awful.

[quotte="vman19, post: 14593866, member: 566201"]Me lol I'm nervous. I wonder if they'll call today[/quote]

When did you interview elam1001?[/quote]
I interviewed on Friday the 1st. R they calling today or any time this week?

[quotte="vman19, post: 14593866, member: 566201"]Me lol I'm nervous. I wonder if they'll call today

When did you interview elam1001?[/quote]
I interviewed on Friday the 1st. R they calling today or any time this week?[/quote]

They said that calls would start tuesday by the dean until they are done, from looking through ther feed it looks like tuesday and wednesdsay are the days with one person saying on thursday they found out, so I tell myself that if my thursday I dont hear anything then its bad news

Yeah
When did you interview elam1001?
I interviewed on Friday the 1st. R they calling today or any time this week?[/quote]

They said that calls would start tuesday by the dean until they are done, from looking through ther feed it looks like tuesday and wednesdsay are the days with one person saying on thursday they found out, so I tell myself that if my thursday I dont hear anything then its bad news[/quote]
Yeah I am nervous I keep looking at my phone at work

Yeah
I interviewed on Friday the 1st. R they calling today or any time this week?

They said that calls would start tuesday by the dean until they are done, from looking through ther feed it looks like tuesday and wednesdsay are the days with one person saying on thursday they found out, so I tell myself that if my thursday I dont hear anything then its bad news[/quote]
Yeah I am nervous I keep looking at my phone at work[/quote]

mee too!!! this is torture!

I hope y'all hear some good news!
I got a complete e-mail 5 weeks ago and have heard nothing yet nor can I reach the admissions office. Whats going on?

I hope y'all hear some good news!
I got a complete e-mail 5 weeks ago and have heard nothing yet nor can I reach the admissions office. Whats going on?

I'm in the same boat as you I got the complete email 10/2 and nothing but crickets. Good to hear I'm not the only one in this situation though.

I'm in the same boat as you I got the complete email 10/2 and nothing but crickets. Good to hear I'm not the only one in this situation though.

No fear guys I got my complete email like 4 or 5 weeks before my ii and now I'm accepted so don't stress! Hope you guys get good news our Facebook group for class of 2018 could definitely use more people

No fear guys I got my complete email like 4 or 5 weeks before my ii and now I'm accepted so don't stress! Hope you guys get good news our Facebook group for class of 2018 could definitely use more people

Tstanfi2 what time did the acceptance call come in for you?

well no call today, and I assume its too late in the day to expect one. Did anyone else receive a call that interviewed this past weekend? I will hold on hope until tomorrow and than after that I'm gonna expect the worst.

Ireceived ="vman19, post: 14594469, member: 566201"]well no call today, and I assume its too late in the day to expect one. Did anyone else receive a call that interviewed this past weekend? I will hold on hope until tomorrow and than after that I'm gonna expect the worst.[/quote]
just received the call literally 5 minutes ago. I am so excited I am shaking. I cant believe I did it. I'm going to be a doctor

just received the call literally 5 minutes ago. I am so excited I am shaking. I cant believe I did it. I'm going to be a doctor[/quote]

Congrats elam1001!! Now my heart is racing. What day did you interview?

I JUST GOT ACCCEPTEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLASS OF 2018 (I THINK). !!!!! :hungover:ddddddddDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reactions: 1 user
just received the call literally 5 minutes ago. I am so excited I am shaking. I cant believe I did it. I'm going to be a doctor

Congrats elam1001!! Now my heart is racing. What day did you interview?[/quote]

My only hope is that they call people with Saturday interviews tomorrow because both of them that got accepted interviewed on Friday.

Congrats to you who got in!

ACCEPTED! What a relief!! Got the call Tuesday 11/5 at 4:40pm!! Interviewed 11/1! Congrats to everyone else who also is accepted!! All of our hard work is paying off!

Opinions please... I deactivated my facebook before i submitted all my secondaries because I didn't want to go through 1000+ photos and clean it up (not that I have tons of party pictures, but there is alcohol in probably 1/5th of them because that seems to be one of the most prominent times my friends bring out the cameras). I would like to join the accepted class facebook group. Did anyone else with similar situations go through and "clean up their facebook" before joining the accepted class group? I am curious because it seems the admissions people will be part of the accepted class group... I just don't want to look distasteful. I know it's probably worth the few hours it will take me. I am obviously over 21 so there's nothing illegal that is going on. Maybe I'm just super paranoid. Haha.