University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED! What a relief!! Got the call Tuesday 11/5 at 4:40pm!! Interviewed 11/1! Congrats to everyone else who also is accepted!! All of our hard work is paying off!

Opinions please... I deactivated my facebook before i submitted all my secondaries because I didn't want to go through 1000+ photos and clean it up (not that I have tons of party pictures, but there is alcohol in probably 1/5th of them because that seems to be one of the most prominent times my friends bring out the cameras). I would like to join the accepted class facebook group. Did anyone else with similar situations go through and "clean up their facebook" before joining the accepted class group? I am curious because it seems the admissions people will be part of the accepted class group... I just don't want to look distasteful. I know it's probably worth the few hours it will take me. I am obviously over 21 so there's nothing illegal that is going on. Maybe I'm just super paranoid. Haha.

Congratulations!! I'm still waiting (and hoping) for a call. As far as the Facebook thing, I just changed everything to private and only my friends (not friends of friends, etc.) could see my pictures. You can essentially make it so your non-friends can only see your profile picture and cover photo. I also set it so all future pictures need to be "reviewed" before I'm tagged in them. Something to think about, that alleviates the need to painstakingly delete a bunch of stuff.

And again, congrats!!

Members don't see this ad.

ACCEPTED!!! I'm gonna be a doctor!!!!! Got the call at 4:46!!! Interviewed on 11/2!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
ACCEPTED!! I'm gonna be a doctor!! Just got the call at 3:40. Interviewed 11/2. Cannot believe this is going to happen. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear and in the interview process!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone! First time posting on this thread. I was interviewed in September and was accepted to the KYCOM class of 2018. Still waiting for an ii from DMU-COM, but even if I don't hear from them, I think KYCOM is my top choice. I had 3 interviews this cycle and KYCOM was my best experience by far. I felt like I was a student and a part of the family already. Anyway, I am from Peshtigo, WI (1 hour north of Green Bay, WI) and have no family or friends currently living near or in Kentucky. My girlfriend will also be moving to Pikeville sometime in 2014 with no family or friends near or in Kentucky. She will be looking for roommates and friends as well. She will also be looking for teaching positions as a music teacher and/or band director in local schools in and near Pikeville. Anyone currently attending or will be attending KYCOM have any input, advice, or simply a friendly "Hello," would be much appreciated. You can send me a message on studentdoctor.net through what are now called "conversations." Thanks everyone and stay positive through the process those still waiting.

Sincerely,
Doogy

I heard during a tour that the current students were trying to get the classes not mandatory. Can any current students speak on the progression of this?

One of the students i talked to said the the classes were said to be mandatory, but she didn't go to class.

Someone posted about this, but there was no response. Does anyone what to do for the colleges attended portion if attended more than 3 schools? It won't let you put in anymore than 3!

Does anyone recall if KYCOM has standardized patients? Not just sim patients... Just curious.

I've been complete for a month and haven't heard anything....

Does anyone recall if KYCOM has standardized patients? Not just sim patients... Just curious.

Yes they have both sim and standardized because when I went back for open house after my interview they asked if anyone was interested in training to be a standardized patient.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been complete for over a month and haven't heard anything yet either. I can't see, to get a hold of anyone when I call either...

how early are most people hearing back after interview? I have an interview scheduled in December but also have an acceptance and would need to submit deposit within 10 days after kycom interview. Any thoughts on what I should do BC I still would like to visit kycom

how early are most people hearing back after interview? I have an interview scheduled in December but also have an acceptance and would need to submit deposit within 10 days after kycom interview. Any thoughts on what I should do BC I still would like to visit kycom

I heard back from Kycom in like 4 days and I hear it's like almost always with a week of interview. Where else you accepted if you don't mind me asking? Just curious.

I heard back from Kycom in like 4 days and I hear it's like almost always within a week of interview. Where else you accepted if you don't mind me asking? Just curious.

I heard back from Kycom in like 4 days and I hear it's like almost always within a week of interview. Where else you accepted if you don't mind me asking? Just curious.

CUSOM and PCOM-GA, when do you have to submit a deposit to KYCOM after you found out?

I just received an email saying that I was complete on Nov. 11. How long did it take for those with interview invitations to be notified? Thanks.

Those who have been accepted--- do you mind sharing your stats?

Reactions: 1 user
I just received an email saying that I was complete on Nov. 11. How long did it take for those with interview invitations to be notified? Thanks.

I don't have an II yet, but judging from my experience and what others on this forum have said it takes a while. I've been complete for over a month and still haven't heard anything and other people who have IIs and even acceptances have said it took them just as long or longer to hear back about their IIs.

Those who have been accepted--- do you mind sharing your stats?
Sure. 3.4 cgpa 3.2 sgpa 29 mcat (8ps 11vr 10bs). But don't look to hard at stats as everyone will tell you this school looks at more than just stats obviously with my gpa's being so poor and still getting an acceptance. Hope that helps and good luck, this school really is an awesome school.

For those of us that haven't heard back in over a month, should we call and inquire about our status?

I know from reading all the posts that I am getting really impatient, and I should wait. However, I sent my secondary on 11/4/13 and have yet to hear anything. I have tried calling but no one picks up the phone. I have left message. Is it too early to panic? I have an interview at WVUSOM in early December. It would be really nice to have another interview invite before that. What should I do?

I know from reading all the posts that I am getting really impatient, and I should wait. However, I sent my secondary on 11/4/13 and have yet to hear anything. I have tried calling but no one picks up the phone. I have left message. Is it too early to panic? I have an interview at WVUSOM in early December. It would be really nice to have another interview invite before that. What should I do?

Unless we call I doubt you'll get another II before your WVSOM one. I submitted on 10/14 and I still haven't heard. Plus, someone else on here got an II awhile back for mid-December so if we got invites it would be after that.

Unless we call I doubt you'll get another II before your WVSOM one. I submitted on 10/14 and I still haven't heard. Plus, someone else on here got an II awhile back for mid-December so if we got invites it would be after that.
Thanks man, I was just hoping.

Thanks man, I was just hoping.

No problem! I was hoping just like you were ... It would have been nice to have a decision here before I have to make a deposit to hold my seat for another school by dec 14

How long does it take approx to receive an ii after being complete?

Hey everyone, congrats on whoever has recently gotten accepted and plans to come to KYCOM. I am currently a first year and do enjoy meeting everyone of you guys who rolls in here for interviews. Please feel free to join the Facebook page for 2018 students. Remember guys, this is one step! You still have the fun that is medical school and all the great gross anatomy, cell bio, biochemistry, POM, and OPC. Mmm can't believe the semester is almost over. Again, congrats!!!!

I got the secondary application earlier today and have been working on it. Does anyone know how heavily they screen before sending out the secondary app?

I have been accepted and i just wanted to ask thoughts on the school and the program. things i been reading have been scaring me honestly. Things like its the worsr DO school, and to only attend if its your last option. Also that the rotations suck etc. What are your thoughts/experience with this? I would really appreciate any feedback especially from any current or past students.
Thank you

I have been accepted and i just wanted to ask thoughts on the school and the program. things i been reading have been scaring me honestly. Things like its the worsr DO school, and to only attend if its your last option. Also that the rotations suck etc. What are your thoughts/experience with this? I would really appreciate any feedback especially from any current or past students.
Thank you

Wow now that doesn't sound good. I haven't heard things like that. The only experience I have had with the school is that I called several times and a left many messages. Never, once my message was returned and I got a call back. I wanted to arrange a tour and see the school, but no one returned my calls. Finally, I got tired and stopped calling, pretty annoying if you know what I mean.

Do you guys know when and how we apply for financial aid ?

Wow now that doesn't sound good. I haven't heard things like that. The only experience I have had with the school is that I called several times and a left many messages. Never, once my message was returned and I got a call back. I wanted to arrange a tour and see the school, but no one returned my calls. Finally, I got tired and stopped calling, pretty annoying if you know what I mean.

Pretty standard from med schools. KCUMB took two weeks to respond to my email. PCOM took a week. LECOM never responds. The countless other schools I have emailed don't get back to me either.

KYCOM, they got back to me if I emailed them twice. I guess the first email got sent to spam or was not considered important.

Pretty standard from med schools. KCUMB took two weeks to respond to my email. PCOM took a week. LECOM never responds. The countless other schools I have emailed don't get back to me either.

KYCOM, they got back to me if I emailed them twice. I guess the first email got sent to spam or was not considered important.

Finally got an email of "Application Completed". Very slow. I am disappointed to say the least.

Finally got an email of "Application Completed". Very slow. I am disappointed to say the least.

Do you know what it's like to have to sort through thousands of applications, answer phone calls, and respond to the multiple emails you guys send.... Seriously, be patient. Getting into med school is pretty much a year long process. Unfortunately the world doesn't around revolve around every single applicant like their mommy says it does...

Do you know what it's like to have to sort through thousands of applications, answer phone calls, and respond to the multiple emails you guys send.... Seriously, be patient. Getting into med school is pretty much a year long process. Unfortunately the world doesn't around revolve around every single applicant like their mommy says it does...

I guess you are right, but there are other school doing the same thing. May be a little bit better than ........... Oh well, I guess may be I should be a bit patient.

Since no one has answered the ii question, here is my time frame:
AACOMAS Verified July 11
Secondary received July 25
Secondary submitted July 28
Complete email (official) Sept 30
Interview invite November 21

So between submitting my complete secondary, including LORs, and getting an interview invite, I waited over four months. If you submitted your secondary less than a month ago, keep in mind that people have been applying since June. If you waited this long, why do you expect the school to hurry? I only say this to be realistic; last year, I submitted my secondary in late November and NEVER heard back from KYCOM, not even with a rejection. I wish you the absolute best and hope that you hear back sooner than I did, but the truth is that there are THOUSANDS of applications that have been submitted at this point.

Since no one has answered the ii question, here is my time frame:
AACOMAS Verified July 11
Secondary received July 25
Secondary submitted July 28
Complete email (official) Sept 30
Interview invite November 21

So between submitting my complete secondary, including LORs, and getting an interview invite, I waited over four months. If you submitted your secondary less than a month ago, keep in mind that people have been applying since June. If you waited this long, why do you expect the school to hurry? I only say this to be realistic; last year, I submitted my secondary in late November and NEVER heard back from KYCOM, not even with a rejection. I wish you the absolute best and hope that you hear back sooner than I did, but the truth is that there are THOUSANDS of applications that have been submitted at this point.

1-up.. Sorry to say it folks but they're right this is a long cycle and us wondering about our status isn't going to make it go any faster...

But just to add to this I got my complete email 10/2 and still heard nothing :( There are a lot of us waiting and none of us really get priority over anyone we just need to be patient..

1-up.. Sorry to say it folks but they're right this is a long cycle and us wondering about our status isn't going to make it go any faster...

But just to add to this I got my complete email 10/2 and still heard nothing :( There are a lot of us waiting and none of us really get priority over anyone we just need to be patient..
Just think of it this way... In a few months you'll be looking back, thinking of how anxious you were, and happy about where you're going!

Hey guys! I was just accepted! Got my call on Monday, interview was 12/6. I'm stoked!

Do you guys know if they place any restrictions on acceptance ever? Also, how long does it take to get the letter/email? Thanks!

Hey guys! I was just accepted! Got my call on Monday, interview was 12/6. I'm stoked!

Do you guys know if they place any restrictions on acceptance ever? Also, how long does it take to get the letter/email? Thanks!

Congrats! Has anyone else heard anything? I'm starting to get a bad feeling...

Hey first off congratulations on your acceptance! Looking forward to meeting you all in July! I got the letter approximately a week after getting the call of acceptance. As far as the email with all the information on getting ready for school I didn't get it until like 2 weeks after I paid my deposit! Hope that helps and congratulations

hey guys just got my II for jan 11th any one else for that day.