University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the secondary this morning!

Members don't see this ad.

For what it's worth, I emailed ronnie yesterday and got a prompt friendly response this morning

Reactions: 1 user
secondary submitted but had a problem with payment. It still shows incomplete although I have already paid. Called Ronnie and he was able to solve it within 2 minutes. Very helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys! So I revived my secondary as well, and I am not verified either. Do they screen?

Does anyone know the chance of getting an interview with a 8-8-8 MCAT, Undergrad: 3.53 GPA, 3.3 Science GPA, Graduate science GPA: 3.50? I have work and research experience too, but am out of state.
As long as you can write a decent essay I think you'll get an interview.

What would you say are interview chances for OOS with 51% new MCAT (500), cGPA 3.91, sGPA 3.91? I have a well-rounded amount of ECs.

did anyone figure out how to fix the payment problem without calling?

did anyone figure out how to fix the payment problem without calling?
I called Ronnie this morning and he said they're having some trouble with the payment portion of the website, but it only takes him a minute override it on his end so you can fully submit your secondary. :)

If you are to compare (which is not the best thing to do), it's between a 25 and 26 based on just percentiles.
No one has seen what scores are successful with medical schools with the new scale, and with knowing very little about the MCAT, comparing scores to the old scale is the best way I can gauge your chances, considering I only know what scores on the old scale got in and not the new scale, so right now it's the best thing I can do.

What would you say are interview chances for OOS with 51% new MCAT (500), cGPA 3.91, sGPA 3.91? I have a well-rounded amount of ECs.

500 is the new 25. All the data we have at this point in time supports that. However, the break down of your score is also important. I can't tell you your odds, but if you find their avg MCAT score of acceptance you can gauge your shot of acceptance.

I'll be applying here as well.

Is everyone hitting 500 words on these questions? I'm having trouble breaking 300 on one of them...

Members don't see this ad :)
I def hit 500 for the 1st and 3rd question. Working on the second one,and feel like this one will be shorter

as long as you sufficiently answer the question, I don't think you necessarily need to hit 500 words. I had 500, 350, and 500, respectively for the three questions.

It's the first one for me. I got 500 for the last 2 pretty quick. I guess I'm trying not to be repetitive.

Just noting quality over quanity. Don't fluff it up just to get to 500.
All mine were 300-400 words.

I'm also just gonna say this here and now in case anything ever arises.
Everything I say here is my own opinion and doesn't necessarily reflect the views of KYCOM.

Just submitted my secondary, but having trouble with the payment. Does anyone know if the office is open tomorrow or will I be waiting until Monday to call?

Just submitted my secondary, but having trouble with the payment. Does anyone know if the office is open tomorrow or will I be waiting until Monday to call?

Call the office. Ronnie was very helpful in fixing the problem.

hi! I'm applying here but just had a quick concern. I recently heard that UP-KYCOM lost its accredidation or has just recently been put on some type of probation status (I'm hearing this from my premed friends who live in KY). Anyone know more about this?

hi! I'm applying here but just had a quick concern. I recently heard that UP-KYCOM lost its accredidation or has just recently been put on some type of probation status (I'm hearing this from my premed friends who live in KY). Anyone know more about this?
Incorrect.
University of louisville is on probation, we're just fine here at Pikeville.

Incorrect.

Ahhh I see. That makes more sense. Thanks for the correction!!!

Incorrect.

Why are they on probation? Are you talking about the MD school of medicine that is on probation?

For those who received secondaries, may I have the prompts, please :) ?

Hey guys! Good luck this application cycle. I just started OMS-I this week and love it! If you have any questions or anything don't be afraid to ask :)

For those who received secondaries, may I have the prompts, please :) ?
KYCOM is in. all 500 word max:

Please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician.

Please also explain why you are applying to KYCOM for osteopathic medical education and why you believe you will be a successful KYCOM medical student.

Please also describe your experience with osteopathic medicine that may include your care and treatment by a D.O. and your shadowing experiences with a D.O. (include number of hours, etc.)

I submitted my secondary, however my letter of recs have not been received. I submitted mine through AACOMAS but it says it takes VirtualEval and Interfolio... does this mean I have submit my letters through another system then?

hey guys does anyone know if KYCOM required a DO letter vs an MD letter? on the updated aacom website it says that KYCOM required a DO letter, but on the KYCOM website it says a physician (preferably DO)... anyone have any idea?

My LOR section still says incomplete also even though all my letters were attached to my AACOMAS app

hey guys does anyone know if KYCOM required a DO letter vs an MD letter? on the updated aacom website it says that KYCOM required a DO letter, but on the KYCOM website it says a physician (preferably DO)... anyone have any idea?
You'd have to ask them for certain in case it has changed this year because it says that on AACOMAS but I know people who applied with an MD letter and got in. DO is definitely better
My LOR section still says incomplete also even though all my letters were attached to my AACOMAS app

I would shoot then off an email. Remember this is an entirely new service and there might be a few bugs. Good luck!

You'd have to ask them for certain in case it has changed this year because it says that on AACOMAS but I know people who applied with an MD letter and got in. DO is definitely better

thanks! I just called and they said it's only recommended, not required.

Did I miss the fact that this school has regional bias? I'm getting 0 love from their secondary sending team. I'm from Chicago. My stats are very good

Did I miss the fact that this school has regional bias? I'm getting 0 love from their secondary sending team. I'm from Chicago. My stats are very good

They are extremely mission oriented. Do you have experience in rural service? Probably not going to be very competitive here.

They are extremely mission oriented. Do you have experience in rural service? Probably not going to be very competitive here.

Grew up in Chicago from 13 onward.... was born and lived in eastern Europe (Lithania) prior to that..... Awww damn, Hopefully they see me being a foreigner as being rural.... although I doubt it.

Grew up in Chicago from 13 onward.... was born and lived in eastern Europe (Lithania) prior to that..... Awww damn, Hopefully they see me being a foreigner as being rural.... although I doubt it.

If your stats are good, U should be ok elsewhere. KYCOM, WVSOM, Burrell, ACOM, couple of the VCOMs, all want rural/underserved primary care doctors, and if you don't have demonstrated service in that area, then it does not behoove them to take a chance on you.

No wonder their matriculant stats are so low. They really dont care about the numbers apparently. I was wondering what was going on. LMU doesnt have a mission though and they have comparable matriculant stats.

No wonder their matriculant stats are so low. They really dont care about the numbers apparently. I was wondering what was going on. LMU doesnt have a mission though and they have comparable matriculant stats.

LMU has a similar mission. They want people who are going to serve in underserved areas as primary care docs, which is why their averages are lower. I encourage you to look at their website.

When you hear people talk about DO schools being more than just about numbers, they are talking about these schools who's mission is to put people in primary care in rural and underserved communities. If you do not match that mission and have demonstrated long time commitment to these areas, chances are it is not worth applying to. The good news is, other schools like CCOM and NYCOM don't have such missions.

Unfourtunantly, rural in America is the sticks of Kentucky, Southern Illinois, Virginia, West Virginia, etc. Think vast farmlands, i.e. "The Country". If you have not lived by a cornfield, bean field, or any other type of field before, chances are the area is not rural.

Put another way, if the city you grew up in has a Cheesecake Factory, you are not a rural area.

We have at least 3 people from Chicago I know of, but we do have a strong regional bias. Our class is much more diverse than I thought it'd be, though.
LMU also has a mission of serving the under served, but not necessarily regionally.

As a current second year, I thought I'd offer up my two cents in regards to all the fulfilling the mission concerns. I grew up in the suburbs/ went to undergrad at a large state school, so I'm not exactly fulfilling their "rural" requirements. However, I was able to explain during my secondary and interview about volunteering experiences where I had a strong dedication to working with the underserved population and how I desire to continue serving that type of population after medical school. I think you just have to be able to fit your experiences to the school's mission- if that helps at all.

I wouldn't let the fact that you are not from a rural area stop you from applying here. They do look for that, but I lived and went to undergrad in a large major city and I am a current student. They don't base everything on that. If you show that you truly want to care for people and care for the people that are underserved you will still have a good chance of getting an II.

I know many people in my class that are from as far as California and Seattle. So if you like Kycom (which you should) don't let that be the reason that stopped you from applying!

Has anyone had their letters of recommendation marked complete yet?

When are they going to start sending out interview invitations? When is the first interview date?