University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied early to all the schools I applied this year (may/June) I just haven't applied to this one and thought it'd be a good option to add, since it's still early in the cycle for DOs. I don't buy that about needing to wait till next cycle it's early September.

It's definitely not too late, and since you've been verified already you are more than fine for adding KYCOM to your list

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this school receptive to oos applicants and is it to late to apply?
That kid is dead wrong.
It's definitely not to late to apply to most DO schools.
DO schools have a much longer cycle than MDs.
I applied to schools in October and got plenty of love from multiple schools so go for it.

Reactions: 2 users
If you haven't sent out applications to schools, your best bet is to wait until the next cycle. I'm not saying that there isn't any chance at all, but it's pretty late to send out a primary application, and a really expensive risk.
Someone can totally start applying to DO schools now and be perfectly fine.
Please don't give any one else this advice till November.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Someone can totally start applying to DO schools now and be perfectly fine.
Please don't give any one else this advice till mid November.
I never said it was impossible. It's just less likely to get accepted if you haven't even been verified with your primaries at this point. I'm sure you got a lot of love from applying late, but it's just less likely that you'll get accepted if your secondaries go in at the same time that schools start accepting on their rolling basis in October. Sorry to say, but your chances go down greatly at that point.

I never said it was impossible. It's just less likely to get accepted if you haven't even been verified with your primaries at this point. I'm sure you got a lot of love from applying late, but it's just less likely that you'll get accepted if your secondaries go in at the same time that schools start accepting on their rolling basis in October. Sorry to say, but your chances go down greatly at that point.
With DO schools? Not really. If you're interviewing by February you have a decent shot, it might be slightly less likely but everyone still have a very good chance.
It doesn't go down greatly because DO schools take so much longer to fill their classes, so please don't discourage anyone from applying when they still stand a pretty good shot.

With DO schools? Not really. If you're interviewing by February you have a decent shot, it might be slightly less likely but everyone still have a very good chance.
It doesn't go down greatly because DO schools take so much longer to fill their classes, so please don't discourage anyone from applying when they still stand a pretty good shot.
Honestly, this whole conversation doesn't even matter because he had already been verified. It was my honest opinion, and I still stand by it. Your chances do indeed go down when applying later in the cycle. That's why every school states that for the best chances to get in, you need to apply as early as possible. Let's just move on.

Honestly, this whole conversation doesn't even matter because he had already been verified. It was my honest opinion, and I still stand by it. Your chances do indeed go down when applying later in the cycle. That's why every school states that for the best chances to get in, you need to apply as early as possible. Let's just move on.
Not saying it for his sake, but any one else's sake you may give that advice to.

Not saying it for his sake, but any one else's sake you may give that advice to.
That's mine to give, and I do it for free. If people ask for my opinion, I'll gladly give it.

Well I'm letting you know your opinion is flat out wrong.
That it is more competitive as the cycle goes on? Ask any advisor and they'll tell you that same thing. I know that people still get in later on, but it's less likely. Why is this such a big deal for you to say that I'm wrong? Apply too late in then cycle and most applicants are just throwing away their money, unless they have some pretty stellar stats. I'm not attacking anyone, I'm just saying be wise about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Informing someone that the odds of them getting in somewhere the later they apply is fair. What you told this individual though was their best bet is to wait until next cycle (who are you to say, there are a hundred different variables to consider), that it's pretty late (which it's not, especially with the new AACOMAS), and that it's a really expensive risk (as if adding a few schools in September is anymore expensive than needing to completely re-apply next year).

I'm not giving away any particular people but I know more than a few people in my class with the 20-24 range.

Do you think that people with a 20 MCAT should still apply?

Do you think that people with a 20 MCAT should still apply?
I don't know.
The only people I know with 20-21 range here were pretty local, as in eastern Kentucky, but then again I've not asked anyone here their MCAT score that I didn't know before.
I think if you have a 20 and apply you better have a good explanation for that 20 and better have something stellar elsewhere to make up for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Informing someone that the odds of them getting in somewhere the later they apply is fair. What you told this individual though was their best bet is to wait until next cycle (who are you to say, there are a hundred different variables to consider), that it's pretty late (which it's not, especially with the new AACOMAS), and that it's a really expensive risk (as if adding a few schools in September is anymore expensive than needing to completely re-apply next year).
If you want to discuss it further, we can via private message instead of flooding this thread. I was under the impression that he hadn't started applying at all. When I found out that he just wanted to add this school, that was completely different. I just wanted people to know that all schools with rolling admissions strongly advise an earlier application, and if you were to just barely start on your primaries right now, gathering LOR's, requesting trascripts, writing your essays, and inputting all of your information, it wouldn't be done in one day, and very unlikely even one week. I'm being real with people, instead of saying that they can apply at any time and their chances wouldn't be diminished at all. If someone came to me and said that they were thinking about applying for medical school this round, knowing that it would take months from now to get everything through (LORs, transcripts, primaries, verifications from schools, secondaries, etc) then I would honestly say that their best bet would be to solidify their application, request the LOR's now, and apply first thing next cycle. Like I said, if you want to discuss this further, please PM me. It was a simple misunderstanding to begin with that put me at the stake for some reason. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from applying at all, we need more physicians who are legitimately concerned with public health. My comment was just taken out of context, that's all. I'm not fighting against anyone.

Btw guys, just called Ronnie, he said for sure they are cutting off at 498, which is around 24 on the old score. This does not make much sense at all.

Just got an email from Ronnie-not sure when ii will go out, but:

"Our current criteria for screening is 3.2 GPA and higher and MCAT of 498 and higher. Thanks!"

"Our current criteria for screening is 3.2 GPA and higher and MCAT of 498 and higher. Thanks!"
Is this for secondary invites or ii? I had a 20 on the MCAT (yeah, yeah, I know) and received a secondary from here. My application was complete 8/26, and I have not heard anything back, one way or another.

Is this for secondary invites or ii? I had a 20 on the MCAT (yeah, yeah, I know) and received a secondary from here. My application was complete 8/26, and I have not heard anything back, one way or another.

For ii. Best of luck!

Anyone know when will KYCOM start sending out interviews? Have they already started?

Anyone know when will KYCOM start sending out interviews? Have they already started?
Should be soon if they haven't sent any out already. I think they're running a little behind because it's all Ronnie.

Did I miss the fact that this school has regional bias? I'm getting 0 love from their secondary sending team. I'm from Chicago. My stats are very good
KYCOM doesn't have regional bias. I'm an OMS-II and we have lots of people from chicago.

We have at least 3 people from Chicago I know of, but we do have a strong regional bias. Our class is much more diverse than I thought it'd be, though.

OMS-II here at KYCOM. We definitely don't have a strong regional bias. We have people from all over. Even as far as California and other Western states.

If your stats are good, U should be ok elsewhere. KYCOM, WVSOM, Burrell, ACOM, couple of the VCOMs, all want rural/underserved primary care doctors, and if you don't have demonstrated service in that area, then it does not behoove them to take a chance on you.
This isn't true. I'm an international student here at KYCOM. As long as you can answer the question "why KYCOM?" well, you have a good chance.

Is this school receptive to oos applicants and is it to late to apply?
If you have a strong application, I wouldn't let anyone discourage me from applying. I'm a current OMS-II here and I applied even later and got into the upcoming class.

Can anyone chance me in this thread, I have been complete since 8/26, and am really interested in this school, i made it clear in the secondary that i want to practice rural medicine and would love to live in kentucky! I am from Long Island, New York! I have a 26 MCAT (8/8/10), 3.72 sgpa, and a 3.82gpa! I really want to interview here, i have a lot of volunteering experience and a mission trip to Honduras. can anyone offer insight?

OMS-II here at KYCOM. We definitely don't have a strong regional bias. We have people from all over. Even as far as California and other Western states.
Agreed you can be from anywhere but it definitely helps if you're from the area. Kentucky is by far the most represented state at KYCOM and a lot of people from Appalachia region, but most of the continental states are represented here!

Can anyone chance me in this thread, I have been complete since 8/26, and am really interested in this school, i made it clear in the secondary that i want to practice rural medicine and would love to live in kentucky! I am from Long Island, New York! I have a 26 MCAT (8/8/10), 3.72 sgpa, and a 3.82gpa! I really want to interview here, i have a lot of volunteering experience and a mission trip to Honduras. can anyone offer insight?
Your stats are completely fine. I think you'll get an interview but have to have some patience this cycle!

Anyone get any updates or emails regarding interviews? I want to email Ronnie but hate piling on since it's just him working on it...

Agreed you can be from anywhere but it definitely helps if you're from the area. Kentucky is by far the most represented state at KYCOM and a lot of people from Appalachia region, but most of the continental states are represented here!

Not sure on this.. We have almost 30 kids from Michigan alone in our class. If you have a good answer for why Kycom (which will be an interview question) then you will be good

Michigan is the second most represented state in our class (I believe), but KY is still most represented. I agree if you can answer why KYCOM you can get in, but it's easier to get in as a KY resident. In general they'll accept KY residents with lower stats than OOS applicants.
It all goes down to their mission of see in the area.

Why is it taking so long for an interview or not. I have had four schools contact me for interviews except this one. I filled out the secondary like immediately. Its frustrating they are not handing out interviews yet. I really want to go here.

Also what is the class size and how many NC residents are represented?

Why is it taking so long for an interview or not. I have had four schools contact me for interviews except this one. I filled out the secondary like immediately. Its frustrating they are not handing out interviews yet. I really want to go here.

If you've read through this thread, you'd see that they lost an admissions coordinator, and only one man, Ronnie, is currently handling ALL the applications.
I'm with you, I applied early and am still waiting. We'll get our answers soon!

Also what is the class size and how many NC residents are represented?
2 in my class, 1 in the 2nd year. But don't let that discourage you.
And for all the argument of instate bias or not there are 62 people in my class from KY, 14 from Michigan.
69 in the 2nd year class from KY.
There is definitely an in state bias, but over half the class are from various other places so go for it with the right answer!

The first one will be one of the first weeks in October.. There was no open weekend this month with the holiday, whitecoat, and now block coming up next week. There will most likely be two weekends in October to make up for not having one in September

I was marked complete here on 8/11. Anyone else who was complete around that time hear back yet about II?

I was marked complete here on 8/11. Anyone else who was complete around that time hear back yet about II?

I was complete on 8/13 and have not heard anything either. Far as I know nobody has received an II. could be wrong however.

I was complete on 8/13 and have not heard anything either. Far as I know nobody has received an II. could be wrong however.

Completed 8/7. No movement yet, though based on emails/phone calls with Ronnie, I think we might get movement this week.

Completed 8/7. No movement yet, though based on emails/phone calls with Ronnie, I think we might get movement this week.

I hope so. I have been fortunate to not have any of the issues all of the other applicants had, so its just been silence between me and UP-KYCOM

I hope so. I have been fortunate to not have any of the issues all of the other applicants had, so its just been silence between me and UP-KYCOM

Same here, though AACOMAS and Academic Update have been doing my head in!

Same here, though AACOMAS and Academic Update have been doing my head in!

So something I don't understand about the academic update....are you able to input new retakes to replace old grades that were already verified in the past??

Hope we all hear from UP-KYOM and get great news this week or next.

Btw guys, just called Ronnie, he said for sure they are cutting off at 498, which is around 24 on the old score. This does not make much sense at all.

Wait. So I got a 24 on the old MCAT, but a 497 :uhno: on the new one. Should...should I even bother to drop the $75 on the secondary app?

Try giving them a call? Thats really rough :(

Yeah, I'll try giving them a call tomorrow. Would they share this information through e-mail? I can send e-mails immediately, but I might not have time to call them until later in the day tomorrow.

You would think they would post this information in the Osteopathic Medical College Information Book, or on their website. I don't know why they wouldn't screen out people with stats of < 3.2 / < 498; not doing so gives people false hope / a $75 hole in their wallet, after the fact.

This is frustrating, because KYCOM is/was one of my top choices, as a TX resident applying from oos.

/endrant.

So I wrote Ronnie an email and almost referred to him as a Ms, but then I saw on here that he was a guy and avoided that horrible mistake. Thanks SDN!