University of Toledo MSBS 2015-2016 (SMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I recently got an e-mail stating that my application is complete, and to give the program several weeks to make a decision before contacting them. I got this e-mail in late April, so does this mean I could potentially get a decision in late May? Because that would be great!
I don't think so unfortunately. I got that same email in February. They don't have rolling admissions, so they won't begin to even look at applications until after the application closes on May 31. Looks like we will all be waiting until the end of June at the earliest to get a decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah with the non-rolling admission it is almost better to wait until the deadline to submit your application. That way they have the most up to date information. With that being said I just sent in my applicantion. Best of luck to everyone!

Does anyone know how many applicants typically apply?

Last edited:
How receptive is this program to OOS applicants? And I don't mean OOS as in, I am from a bordering state. I mean OOS as in, I need a three-hour flight to get into Ohio.

Members don't see this ad :)
do we need to send them an official copy of our mcat or can we just upload an electronic document? it doesn't actually say on the toledo msbs document faq. I guess I'll call in the morning but I'm impatient :p

Hey all. I am a former MSBSer who was recently accepted to a medical school back in my home state so I can hopefully offer you my advice on a few questions you have.

The program seems to be somewhat OOS friendly as we had a good amount of our class from OOS (a few from the west coast and midwest). The program is very helpful in getting OOS people established in Ohio so if you matriculate to their med school you can have residency for tuition purposes. If you want to attend your own state's schools, apply to those like you would a normal application cycle (although I waited until I found out I was in the MSBS program so I could put the MSBS classes on my AMCAS). Imho it can't hurt to apply to a few extra schools as backups even though the MSBS program has a very high acceptance rate. It certainly is possible to get accepted into other med schools especially if you do well in this program and update them with your grades (my state school requested all of my exam scores for the entire program). We had 3 people from the program get accepted to MD and DO programs in Ohio and other states and I'm sure the vast majority of my classmates will get accepted to UT in the coming months.

As far as I know this past year roughly 200 people applied, but that is just what I've heard secondhand. With that being said they accept a wide range of applicants with a diverse set of GPA/MCAT/ECs so its hard for me to give insight on what I think they are looking for. If you are at or above the averages for our class then you should be in good shape.

The program is really amazing and I can't recommend it enough. For those asking if a certain program is better or worse than this one, I will say it is hard to pass up the linkage rate that UT's MSBS offers (When I applied last year it was the highest linkage rate of similar programs).

Sorry this was so long and if anyone has questions feel free to post them or PM me and I'll try and be as much help as possible. Good Luck!

Hey all. I am a former MSBSer who was recently accepted to a medical school back in my home state so I can hopefully offer you my advice on a few questions you have.

The program seems to be somewhat OOS friendly as we had a good amount of our class from OOS (a few from the west coast and midwest). The program is very helpful in getting OOS people established in Ohio so if you matriculate to their med school you can have residency for tuition purposes. If you want to attend your own state's schools, apply to those like you would a normal application cycle (although I waited until I found out I was in the MSBS program so I could put the MSBS classes on my AMCAS). Imho it can't hurt to apply to a few extra schools as backups even though the MSBS program has a very high acceptance rate. It certainly is possible to get accepted into other med schools especially if you do well in this program and update them with your grades (my state school requested all of my exam scores for the entire program). We had 3 people from the program get accepted to MD and DO programs in Ohio and other states and I'm sure the vast majority of my classmates will get accepted to UT in the coming months.

As far as I know this past year roughly 200 people applied, but that is just what I've heard secondhand. With that being said they accept a wide range of applicants with a diverse set of GPA/MCAT/ECs so its hard for me to give insight on what I think they are looking for. If you are at or above the averages for our class then you should be in good shape.

The program is really amazing and I can't recommend it enough. For those asking if a certain program is better or worse than this one, I will say it is hard to pass up the linkage rate that UT's MSBS offers (When I applied last year it was the highest linkage rate of similar programs).

Sorry this was so long and if anyone has questions feel free to post them or PM me and I'll try and be as much help as possible. Good Luck!
Did you retake the MCAT before or during this program? I'm worried my 28 MCAT score will hinder me from getting into UT's med school (assuming I do well in the msbs). What was your MCAT if you don't mind me asking? Congrats on getting into med school by the way!

Did you retake the MCAT before or during this program? I'm worried my 28 MCAT score will hinder me from getting into UT's med school (assuming I do well in the msbs). What was your MCAT if you don't mind me asking? Congrats on getting into med school by the way!

There were a few people with 28s on the MCAT that I know of from my class. As far as retaking it, that probably depends on your GPA. If it's higher than the average for the class then you should be fine. For me I was in the opposite category, I had a 32 MCAT and a low GPA. Also, if they accept you into the program they feel you are qualified to get into their medical school. Once in the MSBS, your past GPA/MCAT don't matter nearly as much as the grades you get while in the program.

so the deadline is May 31st - does that mean they have to have received ALL material (transcripts, LoR, MCAT score) by that date or that I have to just submitthe app by that date? One of my LoR's is taking forever to write my letter and sucks as responding. I asked her for the letter in January LOL

so the deadline is May 31st - does that mean they have to have received ALL material (transcripts, LoR, MCAT score) by that date or that I have to just submitthe app by that date? One of my LoR's is taking forever to write my letter and sucks as responding. I asked her for the letter in January LOL
I think they have to have received all materials by May 31. You should call them and ask though just to be sure.

The application instructions say personal statements must include our full names. Do they mean within the statement itself, just as a sign-off or just anywhere in the document?

The application instructions say personal statements must include our full names. Do they mean within the statement itself, just as a sign-off or just anywhere in the document?
I just referred to myself in the third person throughout the personal statement..... but in all seriousness I just put my name in the header of the document

For some years, it said that 65% got in while last year was more like 80% who got into Toledo's med school after performing well in MSBS.

Do the remaining 20-30% either drop out or choose to go to other Med schools if they get into them?

For some years, it said that 65% got in while last year was more like 80% who got into Toledo's med school after performing well in MSBS.

Do the remaining 20-30% either drop out or choose to go to other Med schools if they get into them?

The rates of people has been fluctuating throughout the last few years, but the good news is that it has been trending up as far as I know. There are about 5-10% or so of people that drop the program or go to other medical schools. As far as the remainder of people that aren't accepted into Toledo or go to other schools, there is always the risk that you won't get into medical school after this program. With that being said, if you put in the effort and perform well at the med student level you will be in great shape. As with any SMP, this program can be amazing if you are ready for medical school and detrimental if you aren't. For those that get accepted, treat it like you're already in their medical school, put in the effort, and you'll be just fine. As I said before, this is imho the best program out there to get you into medical school and I highly recommend it. Get your apps in and relax for the remainder of the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if the MSBS admissions will allow an MCAT score if I take it in the summer to see if I could improve a a couple of points?

Does anybody know if the MSBS admissions will allow an MCAT score if I take it in the summer to see if I could improve a a couple of points?

That would be a question for the program admissions, but they make the majority of their decisions by the end of June/beginning of July so keep that in mind. They are very good at taking updates and working with students to let you know what they are looking for.

Is the deadline for MSBS mainly for the main application? Do they also want the transcripts and LORs by then or is there a 2-3 day window for that?

Is the deadline for MSBS mainly for the main application? Do they also want the transcripts and LORs by then or is there a 2-3 day window for that?

Normally it's your main application, but I made sure everything got in before then. If it's not made clear in that PDF I would operate under the assumption that everything is due by the 31st

I wonder what current students think of the MSBS. I've heard that the only downside is that it's in Toledo, which is not exactly the best of cities

I wonder what current students think of the MSBS. I've heard that the only downside is that it's in Toledo, which is not exactly the best of cities
Only downside is Toledo, but tbh you're in medical school so you never see the light of day anyways ;)

I am a current MSBS student.

Pros of MSBS:
good linkage to a decent school that can provide a structure to make you competitive for residency.
I found the MSBS and M1 students to be really helpful and supportive.
The academic enrichment center (AEC) is wonderful and if you struggled in undergraduate classes, the AEC should be the first place you visit to get perspective on how to succeed in medical school.
You are not competing for spots, if you put in the work you will get an admissions into medical school.
Opportunities to get involved at the medical center which is right on campus (If your application is weak in volunteering and shadowing then talk to Ms. Patty MaCallister at UTMC and she will provide opportunities)
Cost (compared to other SMPs this was definitely cheaper)

Cons:
Toledo (Its not that bad, there are some charming things about the city),
Masters classes you have to take while M1s do anatomy (I found most of the masters classes to be helpful expect for Anatomy and Pathophysiology, which needs to reworked)
Scholarly Project, I find this to be complete waste of time and money (not really contributing anything to my overall medical goals, but it can be productive if you find the right mentor)

If you have additional questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
I ended up not completing my application for this program. I feel like this is an awesome program, with demonstrated linkage. But, there was so little information online. Also, the application online was confusing and inconvenient.

Good luck to those who applied and are looking to get into med school!

Just talked to the advisor and she said they have started looking at completed applications....if anyone gets in soon, post on here to let us know.

Reactions: 1 users
Only downside is Toledo, but tbh you're in medical school so you never see the light of day anyways ;)

Toledo is really actually not as bad as everyone says! The people who complain about it here are those that never actually try to find all the cool things that are going on! For example, we told our classmates about the Old West End Festival which is happening this weekend and its a great time, but probably 3 or 4 of us will go. So if you don't try then naturally the city is going to suck! So just keep that in mind when you are here and you'll realize it is not so bad!

I am a current MSBS student.

Pros of MSBS:
good linkage to a decent school that can provide a structure to make you competitive for residency.
I found the MSBS and M1 students to be really helpful and supportive.
The academic enrichment center (AEC) is wonderful and if you struggled in undergraduate classes, the AEC should be the first place you visit to get perspective on how to succeed in medical school.
You are not competing for spots, if you put in the work you will get an admissions into medical school.
Opportunities to get involved at the medical center which is right on campus (If your application is weak in volunteering and shadowing then talk to Ms. Patty MaCallister at UTMC and she will provide opportunities)
Cost (compared to other SMPs this was definitely cheaper)

Cons:
Toledo (Its not that bad, there are some charming things about the city),
Masters classes you have to take while M1s do anatomy (I found most of the masters classes to be helpful expect for Anatomy and Pathophysiology, which needs to reworked)
Scholarly Project, I find this to be complete waste of time and money (not really contributing anything to my overall medical goals, but it can be productive if you find the right mentor)

If you have additional questions feel free to ask.

As an incoming M2 who went through MSBS I just want to reemphasize some points :

The scholarly project in itself is not that fun to do and it doesn't take much work to complete it, but you need to do something like this to get a masters so i would rather it be like this than trying to do something way harder while also trying to enter med school. This project also gave me the opportunity to find my mentor which like you said can be a big pro. I have had my mentor for basically 2 years now and he is amazing. I am working on sending out my third paper for publication and we have a step 1 study group formed. So although you may think the project itself isn't that great the opportunities it gives can be priceless. Especially when you want to get into a research heavy like I do!

I looked into my online portal today, and it says that I am accepted. I didn't get any e-mail notification though, so I am not celebrating yet, but I just wanted to give you guys a heads up!

Congrats @X3NA

Based on previous threads, the online portal seems to be pretty accurate so you most likely were accepted. The actual email notification might be delayed until Friday or early next week, but it's looking pretty good!

Do you mind sharing the range of your stats and if you are OOS?

Congrats @X3NA

Based on previous threads, the online portal seems to be pretty accurate so you most likely were accepted. The actual email notification might be delayed until Friday or early next week, but it's looking pretty good!

Do you mind sharing the range of your stats and if you are OOS?

Thanks!

I am actually OOS, but I will PM you my stats, only because I am paranoid about being identified lol.

Thanks!

I am actually OOS, but I will PM you my stats, only because I am paranoid about being identified lol.
hey can you also PM me your stats, thanks!

That makes 2 people admitted already! Congratulations @X3NA!!!
I was hoping they'd hold off a couple weeks, my MCAT scores don't come out until June 16th.. looks like my chances are slimmer than ever now that they're admitting so early :(

they've sent out their first wave, i hear, but everyone should stay calm if you didn't get accepted in the first wave. they have multiple waves as people in previous waves accept or decline admission and historically accept people all the way through july.

checking your application status via the portal is the fastest way to know about your status. my application status changed to accepted a solid 3 days before my email came through. good luck everyone!

Are they receptive to last minute updates? My app is marked as, "Completed, awaiting decision."

I made sure to get everything in by early May just to make sure I didn't hit any snags, but I've got some volunteer and shadowing hours that I've accumulated in the last 3 weeks that would be nice to have on my app.

That makes 2 people admitted already! Congratulations @X3NA!!!
I was hoping they'd hold off a couple weeks, my MCAT scores don't come out until June 16th.. looks like my chances are slimmer than ever now that they're admitting so early :(

Thanks! And keep your head up. It is possible that the first wave hasn't even been completed yet; I still haven't gotten any official acceptance e-mail.

can you please PM me your stats also? I haven't heard anything back from this program

Will do.

I looked into my online portal today, and it says that I am accepted. I didn't get any e-mail notification though, so I am not celebrating yet, but I just wanted to give you guys a heads up!

Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you submitted your application? I know it's not rolling admissions, but it'd still be nice to know.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you submitted your application? I know it's not rolling admissions, but it'd still be nice to know.

Thanks! I submitted in the last week of April, and I was marked complete within a few days.

How long do you to make your decision once you are accepted?

Does anyone know how long this program is? It is from August 2015 to June 2015?

EDIT: Also, what is the scholarly project? Is it a bench research project?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how long this program is? It is from August 2015 to June 2015?

EDIT: Also, what is the scholarly project? Is it a bench research project?

It can be or it can be clinical research. Up to you! I did my work in Ortho Surgery.

Reactions: 2 users
Page 4 of the program PDF suggests that there is a scholarly project or something over the summer but the classes are fall and spring only from August 2015- May 2016. https://www.utoledo.edu/med/grad/pdfs/msbs info 2015.pdf

Can any of the current MSBS students clarify exactly how long the program runs? @CertioremFacere @lyotardfactory @412MD

Thanks, guys!
The program runs for a full year (Aug-Aug). You only are in classes from Aug-mid May and then over the summer months you work on your scholarly project. This project can be bench, clinical work, and sometimes lit reviews. It really can be whatever you find fascinating in almost any field of medicine you are interested in. You also have the option of working on your scholarly project at any time during the year if you choose. Most people wait until the summer after classes are done because during neuro you really need to dedicate your time and effort to that class. With that being said, if you have the time and find a mentor who has a similar timeframe, you can get your project done before the summer and really you only would have to be on campus for a few abstract/final presentations of your research and potentially some research group meetings. I was able to finish the project when neuro was starting, but imho its really best to use that summer time to dedicate your full attention to it and not burn yourself out during neuro.

Just got in today, barely OOS (Detroit-area). Really excited about the program but am still waiting to hear back from others before deciding. I know this is really jumping the gun but wondering if there is a list of faculty w/ research interests to peruse in regards to the scholarly project. I did a good deal of bone research in undergrad and would love to continue with ortho stuff if at all possible. Thanks to all current/former MSBS peeps that have been active on here, you all have helped my decision making process a great deal up to this point!!

Just got in today, barely OOS (Detroit-area). Really excited about the program but am still waiting to hear back from others before deciding. I know this is really jumping the gun but wondering if there is a list of faculty w/ research interests to peruse in regards to the scholarly project. I did a good deal of bone research in undergrad and would love to continue with ortho stuff if at all possible. Thanks to all current/former MSBS peeps that have been active on here, you all have helped my decision making process a great deal up to this point!!

+1

so last year 85% of the class was accepted to the med school but historically the number tends to be around 65%. why was last year's figure so high? is Toledo trending towards maintaining a high linkage rate or was last year an anomaly?

I have my heart set on RFU's program, it's hard to turn down an 85% chance of getting in to the med school

so last year 85% of the class was accepted to the med school but historically the number tends to be around 65%. why was last year's figure so high? is Toledo trending towards maintaining a high linkage rate or was last year an anomaly?

I have my heart set on RFU's program, it's hard to turn down an 85% chance of getting in to the med school

Toledo has been trending up for the past few years and it does seem like this year won't be any different. This years class probably won't get their acceptances until later in June. The acceptance rates really are class dependent though, as the med school holds spots for everyone in the class and as long as you are close to the M1 average you have a very good shot of getting in. As with everything med school related the competition has been getting stronger so that could explain why the MSBS program is getting a higher acceptance rate because more of us are closer to the M1 average.

I'd be weary of RFU though. A friend of mine is in the RFU program and said their acceptance rate was trending down. I heard closer to 50%, but that was through hearsay so not sure if that's accurate. I accepted toledo over RFU and couldn't have been happier. These are obviously opinions so take it with a grain of salt.

i don't know if anybody will be able to answer this, but does anybody have a clue what the new mcat 2015 average score will be for MSBS. The scale goes from 478-532 with 500 being the top of the curve.

i don't know if anybody will be able to answer this, but does anybody have a clue what the new mcat 2015 average score will be for MSBS. The scale goes from 478-532 with 500 being the top of the curve.
The MCAT average for the 2014 class was almost a 28, which correlates to the top 30% of test takers roughly.

I was wondering if anyone knows the percentage of MSBS students matriculating into UTCOM, for the past few years? I know the percentage for the 2013-2014 class was about 84%.

you can do your scholarly project with any UT faculty or even faculty from other institutions, so technically you could just email faculty members and try to get into a project whenever you wanted to. however, during orientation they will give you a list of faculty that are familiar with the program and their research projects. there are a few members doing ortho projects this year so there is definitely room to continue in that. i'd recommend waiting until they give you an up-to-date list and just enjoy the remainder of your summer. you'll come to find that the scholarly project isn't a huge deal, so don't worry about it too much. congrats on acceptance!

Just realized I've been commenting on the wrong MSBS thread...whoops :) Anyway, I was acccepted into the MSBS program on June 2!