University of Toronto, class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My interview is in March.

So all we have to bring to the interview is our admissions ticket, right? All other forms are provided for us, like consent forms etc etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an interview in March as well :)

Now I'm just stressing out about what to wear!

Question for you guys: after interview, is it 100% interview? I've read so many different pharmacy websites that they are all just meshing now, and I don't remember which is which. Ha!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, they look at all three collectively as stated in the PCAT data pdf they can stil raise the cutoffs for PCAT if needed but I would say that the interview and GPA would have the biggest weight in the end. But if you don't do good on the interview it doesn't matter what GPA you have.

Anyone know if our class will be Pharm D or still Bsc but we can apply for combined program in third year?

Thanks.

Anyone know if our class will be Pharm D or still Bsc but we can apply for combined program in third year?

Thanks.

Most likely pharmD when it gets approved.

I got an interview on May 12th :), but Isn't anyone else scared about how there's been an increase in Pharmacy graduates and I've been hearing how its getting harder to get a job? anyone else that's still hesitant in accepting their admission if they get in?? I'm just curious

I got an interview on May 12th :), but Isn't anyone else scared about how there's been an increase in Pharmacy graduates and I've been hearing how its getting harder to get a job? anyone else that's still hesitant in accepting their admission if they get in?? I'm just curious

Hey guys, I'm a U of T pharmacy student and I will be seeing some of you March 24th in the PM session at your interviews. Just wanted to wish you all good luck and just have fun with it! (I know it's easier said than done, but having gone through two MMIs before getting accepted I can tell you that staying positive, especially during the MMI really helps )

Also to answer the question above, the faculty as well as other speakers we've had this year keep addressing this concern. The problem is not that there won't be enough jobs (there is actually an overall shortage of pharmacists in Canada), however, in a metropolitan area like GTA it is definitely competitive. However, you get opportunities starting after first year to work in community/hospital pharmacy, which is a great for networking and as long as you show them passion and dedication, they can be likely take you in for rotations in 4th year and maybe even hire you!

So if you're willing to work in a rural area it might even be better since there's a shortage?

To this point I thought I really wanted to become a pharmacist, but now that I've been working as a pharm assistant for several months and been hearing that a majority of pharmacists are not too pleased with their job. It's making me beyond confused on what to do and I'm probably overthinking everything and should just wait to see if I get accepted LOL. Just wondering if anyone here has any advice or words of widsom on what to do lol

PLUS, does anyone know whats going to be happening with the PharmD program?

Last edited:
Congrats on all those who got an interview (and for those who didn't, don't fret! Just keep on trying :) )

I'm volunteering on March 25 during the MMIs so hope to see everyone at best, professional shape =)

See you guys then!

I got an interview in March as well :)

Now I'm just stressing out about what to wear!

Dress professionally. Dress shirt, tie suit and the whole shabang. If female then the female equivalent.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL masterfunk nice display pic. To the potential 1T6s, that man in the pic will be one of many reasons you will question why you chose UofT pharmacy :p

I just want to know what chance I have getting in, in the final selection process. My stats are actually really bad. My avg is 74% and composite score on the PCAT is only 82. I have "failed" CHM220 and STA220 because my petition didn't go through so my application is quite disadvantaged already.

I already got an interview but as far as I know, getting an interview is not really that big of a deal because they don't look at much for it. For some odd reason, I'm not really nervous for the interview, I'm actually good at that stuff (I think :S).

I just want to know from previous or current pharmacy students if I stand like 0.01% chance of getting in. Any advice?

What if I do really well in the interview (for some reason, I think I will, I don't know where I'm getting this feeling from, lol), then do I stand a chance?

I want to be a pharmacist so bad, you don't understand, lol.

What do you mean by "failed", as in you wont have the pre-reqs by the end of this year? That will likely put you at a disadvantage if that is the case. Your pre-reqs need to be completed by the end of this term (e.g. April/May).

It's not true that getting an interview is not that big of a deal. In my opinion its a HUGE deal. Once you make it to the interview everyone is on a relatively even playing field. The interview has a HUGE role to play in your final admission decision. PCAT scores may be revisited, but they are not a huge factor after the interview. Regardless your PCAT score is more than good enough...

Grades will be important post interview to the end that you need to pass your courses (esp the pre-reqs). I can attest to this fully because I had a deferred exam and they held my admission decision pending that I PASSED the course.

whats 1T5 and 1T6 mean? What is the convention? lol. Means graduating class of 2015 and 2016? what does 1 and T stand for :D

Sorry, im a noobie.

My stats were bad for the PCAT but I still got an interview...

Verbal : 27
Bio: 66
Reading: 28
QA: 54
Chemistry: 88
Composite: 56
Language: 3
Problem Solving: 3

I really really really hope they dont focus too much after PCAT after interview. They already eliminated 20% of all applicants using PCAT so I hope they dont focus on it at all. i.e. ~600 > ~470 interviewees...

My friend got 2.5 on language and she didnt get an interview even though she has high grades, like 85%.... but no interview because of PCAT. I think they have fully exhausted the power of the PCAT and now they just eliminate people based on grades and interview... hopefully.... what u 1T5s think :D sooo nervous!!!!!
STRESS!!!

My interview is on the 25th! I'm rather nervous, any tips? :(

While some of you are hoping that PCAT won't be considered much after getting the interview, I'm actually hoping that they will look at PCAT, cGPA and the interview equally. I did decently on my PCAT, and my cGPA is not bad. I'm hoping that I don't need to do exceptionally well on the interview to get in compared to someone who did exceptionally well on the interview but only just met the bare minimum for the PCAT and their GPA.

But I've heard that the interview is the deciding factor. :( Tough luck for me?

My interview is on the 25th! I'm rather nervous, any tips? :(

While some of you are hoping that PCAT won't be considered much after getting the interview, I'm actually hoping that they will look at PCAT, cGPA and the interview equally. I did decently on my PCAT, and my cGPA is not bad. I'm hoping that I don't need to do exceptionally well on the interview to get in compared to someone who did exceptionally well on the interview but only just met the bare minimum for the PCAT and their GPA.

But I've heard that the interview is the deciding factor. :( Tough luck for me?

Same! I'm hoping pcat will count somewhat. Current pharmacy students will probably have a better understanding of this, but I think interview is important at this point because it's the final "score" used to rank applicants. The idea is that you will get axed if you fall below the cut-off line for any of the 3 components (pcat, grades, interview). Aside from that, I'm not sure what % each component is. Although I'm guessing it'll be mostly interview and gpa, since the notice said that they might raise the pcat cutoffs if too many ppl do well...

Same! I'm hoping pcat will count somewhat. Current pharmacy students will probably have a better understanding of this, but I think interview is important at this point because it's the final "score" used to rank applicants. The idea is that you will get axed if you fall below the cut-off line for any of the 3 components (pcat, grades, interview). Aside from that, I'm not sure what % each component is. Although I'm guessing it'll be mostly interview and gpa, since the notice said that they might raise the pcat cutoffs if too many ppl do well...

Hopefully the raised cutoffs won't be too high though, I got a 48 on RC. XD

They didn't raise it last year though, so I doubt it's going to happen again this year.

Any tips for someone that's never done an MMI before? I admit I'm pretty nervous.

Last edited:
lol. so essentially there's two theories behind it. It originally has meaning for those graduate before the whole 2K thing. So for example, if you graduated in 1983 if would be a 8T3- "eightTEE three" get it? just another way of saying the year and it makes sense for nearly every decade- 7TEEs, 6TEES, etc. So now it's only by tradition in the new millennium to use it- it doesn't quite make sense. For example, 1t6s will graduate in 2016- thats sixteen,etc.

The other theory is that the T stands for Toronto as in the University of Toronto.

Hope that helped!

T definitely does not stand for Toronto. I think it's just a naming convention for the year you're expected to graduate. For instance one of our profs mentioned that her daughter was also 1T5. She then said her daughter was an undergrad and at McGill

Would anybody know if reading magazines like the Economist, Macleans, Time Magazine, etc. would help for the U of T MMIs? Thanks.

Would anybody know if reading magazines like the Economist, Macleans, Time Magazine, etc. would help for the U of T MMIs? Thanks.

I would say...no. Looking back at it, I would say think about the ideal qualities that you think make a good pharmacist or better...pharmacy student. Hint: compassion, understanding, ablility to reason and communicate etc. and think about how these qualities might be "tested" in the MMI in the guise of scenarios....

Also, just in general for anyone else looking for tips, go online and look at some research papers that often have sample MMI questions. Your questions won't be the exact same but its REALLY good practice to sit down with someone and talk through your answers to the questions. You get a sense of where you stand morally, ethically, and in your ability to reason out situations.

There's pretty much no sense in reading about current world events because in all honesty they could pick something that happen like 10 years ago and ask you specific q's based on it, so I'd say dont bother with that...

Also last year we were given a document highlighting the (10?) main concepts/ideas that would be tested (for lack of a better word), through the scenarios, looking at that will also give you a better understanding of what the questions might be all about!!

GOOD LUCK!!! :) It's actually fun, i remember being nervous as hell and once you get into it you'll realize it's really no big deal and the best thing you can do is to just be yourself!!!

and remember, you can probably afford to mess up on 2-3 of the stations (i know i did), they don't expect you to be perfect, so if you mess up just forget about it and focus on the rest of the stations, don't let it affect your performance on the others...

ALSO, it is ok to just sit there quietly if you don't have anything to say, don't feel you need to use up all the time...

Thanks a lot of the extensive reply mochaswirl! Where do I get a copy of the document highlight the main concepts or ideas that we would be tested on? Does it come in the mail or do I get a copy of it on the day of the interview? Thanks again.

Thanks a lot of the extensive reply mochaswirl! Where do I get a copy of the document highlight the main concepts or ideas that we would be tested on? Does it come in the mail or do I get a copy of it on the day of the interview? Thanks again.

It's posted on pharmasis. It's the slide handout.

Any tips for someone that's never done an MMI before? I admit I'm pretty nervous.

don't be nervous! well, to be honest everyone is nervous in the beginning but don't treat this as an interview that will get you in or get you out. see it as more of a fun thing to do (like speed-dating if you want to relate it) and just get enthusiastic about your responses to the interviewer's questions. there's no right or wrong answer (as you'll be told on the day of) and it's TRUE, cause there are no right or wrong answers. just be confident with what you say and don't second-guess yourself mid-way.

for me, i treated most of the mmis like an essay question you have to answer with arguments, counter-arguments, etc. except that everything is verbal.

most importantly, these interviews are very funnnn!! don't forget that :)

hope this helps :)

ps. i'll be volunteering for MMIs this sunday so i hope to see SDN people there! hehe :p

has anybody here applied to Waterloo Pharmacy 2013? and does any1 know when we can expect a reply from them?

sorry if this is a random question but the waterloo pharmacy thread is pretty much dead..and i was hoping that one of u UofT guys would have some info about this :(

has anybody here applied to Waterloo Pharmacy 2013? and does any1 know when we can expect a reply from them?

sorry if this is a random question but the waterloo pharmacy thread is pretty much dead..and i was hoping that one of u UofT guys would have some info about this :(

I did too! You'll find out about interviews by email the first week of April. There's a specific date somewhere on there website. I want to say maybe the 7th but can't remember for sure.

I did too! You'll find out about interviews by email the first week of April. There's a specific date somewhere on there website. I want to say maybe the 7th but can't remember for sure.

oh the date they have is April 5th but I had hoped we would be told beforehand about whether our applications got accepted or not..i guess this means we have to wait till April 5th to find out :scared:

Do you guys think that those who are street smart will ace the interview?

I am tired of people think that we, as university students, are book smart but not street smart. I just don't understand. Well, if you take courses that have to do with people and conflict resolution, wouldn't you have confident and dealing with everyday, real life problems? I do!

And, do you know something? People think that college students or grads have street smarts. I can tell you that from my volunteer experience at a pharmacy that this is totally false. When you get to work at the back of the pharmacy, you may hear college trained pharm techs just dissing other people behind their backs! For example, one pharm tech would be like "oh, why is this clerk calling me. she's so annoying" It's so immature. She's been working in the pharmacy for 10 years and she doesn't seem to grow up. Doesn't she know that it's her job to answer calls when she's working? It's such a joke. :laugh:

I think university students or grads are much more mature than college grads!!! You rarely hear things like this from university students or grads.

Do you guys think that those who are street smart will ace the interview?

I am tired of people think that we, as university students, are book smart but not street smart. I just don't understand. Well, if you take courses that have to do with people and conflict resolution, wouldn't you have confident and dealing with everyday, real life problems? I do!

And, do you know something? People think that college students or grads have street smarts. I can tell you that from my volunteer experience at a pharmacy that this is totally false. When you get to work at the back of the pharmacy, you may hear college trained pharm techs just dissing other people behind their backs! For example, one pharm tech would be like "oh, why is this clerk calling me. she's so annoying" It's so immature. She's been working in the pharmacy for 10 years and she doesn't seem to grow up. Doesn't she know that it's her job to answer calls when she's working? It's such a joke. :laugh:

I think university students or grads are much more mature than college grads!!! You rarely hear things like this from university students or grads.

I think it has to do more with the people themselves. You will find people like that from both colleges and universities. I know tons of people in university who are just as immature and unprofessional as the girl you're talking about. Just be the better person and never become like that. :)

completely has to do with the person. can't make generalizations for anything nowadays...

completely has to do with the person. can't make generalizations for anything nowadays...

Then I must be lucky to be surrounded by such amazing university people. Even though I made an erroneous assumption that all univ people are more mature than all college people, I must be assuming wrong because a lot of good people come to me and I didn't know it until now! Just a blessing in disguise....sigh!:)

iv seen a lot of messed up people in uni, people like previous roomates and others. they all just failures. bad grades, waste money, smoke weed, get drunk. yah, life is dynamic, sometimes u get good and bad.

I totally agree with you guys, you can always find some really immature people in uni and the ones that shouldnt be there. Plus, there are generally more studious people in uni than college I think, not to say college students don't study.

Anyways, I was wondering if any girls could share what they will be wearing to the interview? For example, if you don't want to wear a suit, would you opt for a skirt? Or is it too casual?

A suit for a girl usually does tend to mean a skirt :) Of course there is the pant suit but I will always prefer the skirt suit! I'll be wearing a classic black skirt suit ensemble for my interview :)

for those who've done the interview, I was wondering, did u find urselves talking for the entire 7 minutes or were there times where u answered the question in less time and then was just sitting in awkward silence with the interviewer?

omg my interview is tomorrow at 9am! sooo nervous!!!!!!!!! everyone!!!!!!!!!!!! nervous makes results! the more the better!

for those who've done the interview, I was wondering, did u find urselves talking for the entire 7 minutes or were there times where u answered the question in less time and then was just sitting in awkward silence with the interviewer?
I have not done my interview yet and this is the first time I am applying. I dont think 7 min is a goal. As long as you finish the question and provide some important points about the question, you will be fine. Well of course 3 min is not long enough to make your points. I think we have to communicate effectively but not say what we think again and again to fill the 7 min.

A suit for a girl usually does tend to mean a skirt :) Of course there is the pant suit but I will always prefer the skirt suit! I'll be wearing a classic black skirt suit ensemble for my interview :)

So blazer and all? I meant like a skirt with a blouse, no blazer lol, that might be too casual, im just finding excuses to getting out of wearing a blazer :p

By the way, good luck to everyone that has their interviews this weekend :)

DEFINITELY WEAR A BLAZER AND GO ALL OUT!! There were a couple of people this morning that didn't and they stood out so badly. One of the volunteers asked this girl if she was there for the interview b/c she was in jeans. Awkward. Do not be that person.

DEFINITELY WEAR A BLAZER AND GO ALL OUT!! There were a couple of people this morning that didn't and they stood out so badly. One of the volunteers asked this girl if she was there for the interview b/c she was in jeans. Awkward. Do not be that person.

You did your interview this morning?? I hope it went well!! :) Mine is tomorrow afternoon. Also, I agree with you - DEFINITELY go with the blazer. It's not exactly hot humid weather tomorrow like it was a few days ago so you won't boil in it. :)

I can't believe someone went in jeans. It must've been a nightmare for her to see everyone else in suits. :scared:

its not necessary on what u wear. the interviewers are just dressed casually too. i mean its more important what u say then what u wear. each interviewer most of the time wont be lookin at u but writing what u said down.