University of Waterloo c/o 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can't wait to see you guys in September. I wonder why the page number for this is so low compared to UofT lol

Friendly reminder that our program starts in January. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

ACCEPTED!

Here are my stats:

GPA: ~3.15 (That's as close to the cutoff of 75% as it gets!)
Interview: It was the most casual and laid-back interview I've ever had. Nevertheless, I felt like I did well!

I believe my personal profile carried me into this school because my grades sure didn't! I'm not sure how they evaluate applicants, but I was told that once given an interview they no longer consider grades. Thus, the most stressful part about applying to this school was waiting for the interview. I'm thrilled about the acceptance, but I'm going to take my UofT offer. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Lastly, if there's a will there's a way! Details aside, I was in an unfortunate situation resulting in my low GPA, but UW is a very forgiving school. In my application, I was able to explain my situation and showed that as a student I'm capable to tackling UW's challenging pharmacy program. This was the toughest hurdle, but once getting the interview it's an even playing field. Good luck to future applicants!
Hi Longlurker: Your post is very inspirational. My grades are the same as you but I need to work on my interview skills. I got interviewed from both waterloo and u of t but I wasn't able to get in to either schools. I wonder if you give any suggestions on how to work on the MMIs. What experiences did you have and how did you prepare for the interview? It seems like you really nailed both interviews. I would really benefit from your reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Longlurker: Your post is very inspirational. My grades are the same as you but I need to work on my interview skills. I got interviewed from both waterloo and u of t but I wasn't able to get in to either schools. I wonder if you give any suggestions on how to work on the MMIs. What experiences did you have and how did you prepare for the interview? It seems like you really nailed both interviews. I would really benefit from your reply.

Like you, I received interview offers from both UT and UW as well. For the MMI, I firstly scheduled a mock interview session with my school because I had no idea how to prepare for it. The mock interview gave me a pretty good overview of the whole outline and how I can practice my answers. I went online and searched for various scenario questions and practiced a countless bunch of them the week before the interview.

As for the UW interview, I spent the majority of my time rehearsing my 10 minute personal presentation because that beginning portion is the mood setter, if not the deal breaker in whole.

Tbh I don't think I did as well as I could have on the structured portion of the UW interview because I spent so much time practicing for the unstructured portion, but it seemed it was well worth it in the end because I was accepted! I guess my passion came through for the interviewers ^^ IMO, UT interviewers set out to see how much you care for the patient, while UW is more focused on how passionate you are for the field. My advice for next time is to try to tailor your answers to meet the schools' respective objectives. I hope this helps! Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Did anyone on the waitlist hear back from the university?

I just declined my offer to UW in favour of UT. Someone on the waitlist should be getting an offer shortly. The deadline to accept/decline is June 26 by midnight, so I think most people on the waitlist should hear back by June 27! Good luck!

I'm in too!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D Is there a pharmacy group on fb that I can join?

Hope you all can make it to University of Toronto's Interprofessional Boat Cruise on Friday September 13th!!

Hey everyone, so excited to have found this forum.

I just received admission after being wait-listed and am absolutely so thankful to be joining the pharmacy class of 2017. After a stressful summer of waiting since June, I got my email last Friday and couldn't be more blessed.

I hope that those of you who are still waiting see this as a ray of hope. I know a lot of work went into my application and interview as I'm sure yours did. Wishing you luck as I know this has been my dream I've worked hard towards since high school.

Really looking forward to meeting you all in January!

Cheers to becoming health care professionals

can anyone please tell me what courses are taken in first semester pharmacy at waterloo? thanks

Hi, I just found this thread, I am currently in UW life sciences second year and applying soon for pharmacy 2015 program, I am wondering for those that got in, what type of requirements did you have, if someone is willing to share their information, it would be really helpful. Such as how much extra curriculars,gpa, volunteer experience etc.
I have the following
will have a cumulative 3.9 gpa (since orgo will bring me down)
4 months of volunteering at a pharmacy, ~200 hours, and pharmacist will provide refference
only 1 extra curricular during university
~100 hours volunteering at a restore
also have strong reasons to talk about why I want to do pharmacy and not any other career for my interview (learned through volunteering)

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone! has anyone on here applied for early admission and is waiting to learn about their application status? Does anyone know when interviews are typically sent out? Any help would be much appreciated!

hi everyone! has anyone on here applied for early admission and is waiting to learn about their application status? Does anyone know when interviews are typically sent out? Any help would be much appreciated!

Hey, yes I have applied for early admission for January 2014 - is this the date you are referring to? I have no clue when the interview responses will be sent out, all I know is that the interviews will be sometime on or before November 17th.

Hey guys, just curious to know if the pharmacy program is just 3 yrs at UW, just like some accelerated courses in the US?

[quote Edward123456789, post: 14569882, member: 577449"]Hey, yes I have applied for early admission for January 2014 - is this the date you are referring to? I have no clue when the interview responses will be sent out, all I know is that the interviews will be sometime on or before November 17th.[/quote]
Yes thats what I am referring to as well! Guess we'll just have to wait and see!!

Is this your first time applying? Its my first time and I'm so nervous!

Yes it is my first time applying. Did you get everything in on time? I am sure we have to hear back any day now - because if the interviews are November 17th I am assuming they have to give us at least a week or two in advance to prepare ourselves for the interview. What do you think? Do you have any information that I don't?

How did the interview and test go for you guys?

I think it went alright! What about you ? Does anybody know if the interviews for early admission were only on saturday or if they carried over on sunday as well? Gettig anxious

Guys do not worry! If you meet the requirements on the interview and test then you will get in! There is no competition anymore because if the requirements are met we would either have a spot in 2014 or 2015 and marks don't matter at this point because the decision is solely based on you performance saturday. The real challenge now is trying to ignore the urge to check quest every 5 minutes.

I will be applying for the 2015 round, and I was hoping to gauge what averages you guys got interview with , it you wouldnt mind sharing

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone on here received an early admission acceptance?

Hey I was wondering if you guys would give a quick summary of what your extracurriculars were and your averages, i'm pretty pumped about applying for 2015 but also kinda worried about my competitiveness

Last year I applied to Waterloo's Pharmacy school and I made it to the interview/RCWT portion but didn't get in.Does anyone know if it's bad to re-use the same AIF responses as I did last year? Thanks :)

Nevermind! Got it to work!

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I have completed my undergrad degree and was hoping to apply to UW pharm in the next cycle. I am a bit worried about finances since I will be living alone. For anyone who is at UW pharm or has friends there, can they give me an average estimate about how much bursaries amount to for each academic term? I just don't want to end up with alot of debt so I'm trying to do some calculations ahead of time to see if OSAP alone with sufficient or if I would need line of credit as well. If anyone can let me know, it would be great :)

On another topic-has anybody here used a MacBook at Waterloo School of Pharmacy? I have a MacBook and on the webpage it advises against it and encouraged a PC instead. Are the connectivity issues really that bad or is it fine using a Mac as well? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Guys do not worry! If you meet the requirements on the interview and test then you will get in! There is no competition anymore because if the requirements are met we would either have a spot in 2014 or 2015 and marks don't matter at this point because the decision is solely based on you performance saturday. The real challenge now is trying to ignore the urge to check quest every 5 minutes.
did you get in?