University of Waterloo c/o 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, the interview panel knows nothing about you.

Members don't see this ad.

Got an interview as well! :D So how's everyone preparing? To any of the current Waterloo students, what advice would you give?

Grey Arrow,
What did you do for your 5-10min presentation thing? I'm not worried about speaking in front of the panel but am just not sure what to talk about.
Also did you just speak in front of them or did you bring any visual aids as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the email today! How long does the interview take normally? 30mins?

Just received the email today! How long does the interview take normally? 30mins?
Yes about 30 minutes max and the 5-10 minutes presentation is included in the time.

Got my interview offer this morning! So excited and nervous at the same time! :soexcited:

How many times have you guys been invited (for the interview) ? To how many school have you applied (for pharmacy)?

(sorry, just curious to know..)

Grey Arrow,
What did you do for your 5-10min presentation thing? I'm not worried about speaking in front of the panel but am just not sure what to talk about.
Also did you just speak in front of them or did you bring any visual aids as well?
Hi PharmD.93,
I am also a current UW student so I can tell you a bit about my experience. I didn't bring any visual aids to my interview, so it isn't necessary unless it adds to your talk in an important way. However, the day of the interview a lot of candidates brought their laptops, art-work... I honestly saw a lot of different things. They encourage candidates to be creative, so if you have something unique to share with the panel, go for it! I am sure they will appreciate it. I am not a very creative person so I opted for a simple presentation, which I think helped me feel a little less stressed since it was more like a casual conversation and I didn't have to focus on or worry about AVs. My advice is, no matter what you decide to talk about, make sure it highlights your strengths and abilities and shows the characteristics that would make you a good addition to UW's school of Pharmacy. Dress professionally and practice your talk! It helped me a lot to practice several times at home beforehand.
Finally, just to give you an idea, my presentation was about my experience as an immigrant in Canada. Good luck with your interviews! :)

Hi PharmD.93,
I am also a current UW student so I can tell you a bit about my experience. I didn't bring any visual aids to my interview, so it isn't necessary unless it adds to your talk in an important way. However, the day of the interview a lot of candidates brought their laptops, art-work... I honestly saw a lot of different things. They encourage candidates to be creative, so if you have something unique to share with the panel, go for it! I am sure they will appreciate it. I am not a very creative person so I opted for a simple presentation, which I think helped me feel a little less stressed since it was more like a casual conversation and I didn't have to focus on or worry about AVs. My advice is, no matter what you decide to talk about, make sure it highlights your strengths and abilities and shows the characteristics that would make you a good addition to UW's school of Pharmacy. Dress professionally and practice your talk! It helped me a lot to practice several times at home beforehand.
Finally, just to give you an idea, my presentation was about my experience as an immigrant in Canada. Good luck with your interviews! :)

Wow I actually thought about doing mine about my experience of immigrating to Canada and fitting in etc but thought that would sound too cheesy :/But glad to hear it worked out for someone! That gives me lots of hope!

How many times have you guys been invited (for the interview) ? To how many school have you applied (for pharmacy)?

(sorry, just curious to know..)

This is my first time applying to schools other than my own.
I applied to a few American schools, got interviews to all the ones I applied to and got accepted to all of them. I applied to UBC, Waterloo and my own school in Canada. So I have interviews end of April and early May for Canadian schools. Waterloo is my top choice though as it is the closest to my home and the most established Pharm.D program.

Thanks Grey arrow. I'm still not sure whether or not to do visuals but I think I know what I will be talking about

Grey Arrow,

Hey! As UWpharm2015 mentioned, you can bring whatever you likes as long as it helps you out with your presentation. I did my presentation on music and how singing has been a vital part of my life since I was a child. So basically I did a mini speech and then chose a song that related to me and my speech and sang it for the panel. This is your time to shine so find something you enjoy talking about and that means a lot to you and it'll make the whole presentation a lot easier :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an interview as well :D second time applying, last year applied too but didn't get anything. I am a student at UW as well so it was the only school I applied to, but have no idea how to prepare now. There is the interview and the test morning of may 2nd.

seems like everyone got an interview this year ahah... does anyone know how many people they invite?

seems like everyone got an interview this year ahah... does anyone know how many people they invite?
Last year they said that 240 candidates are invited to the interview, and there are only 120 spots available.

Did anyone receive a confirmation after replying to the interview email?

Nope I didn't, I am thinking of just sending another email or calling in just to be safe.

How is everyone preparing for Fundamental Skills Assessment?

Hello :) Long time lurker here! Got an interview on the 3rd of May! I was just wondering if anyone got a confirmation email by the school after you replied to the email?

I didn't get a confirmation email either but I sent it so I assume it'll be fine. Good luck to everyone :)

Hello :) Long time lurker here! Got an interview on the 3rd of May! I was just wondering if anyone got a confirmation email by the school after you replied to the email?

I was worried about not receiving a confirmation when I responded to the invite email last week so I emailed my confirmation again this morning and they told me my first one was received :)

I was worried about not receiving a confirmation when I responded to the invite email last week so I emailed my confirmation again this morning and they told me my first one was received :)
Lol! good. Also, you could always look at your sent e-mails. hehe

I called in and actually talked to her, she said that everyone had confirmed and next week they will be sending an email with more details or so.

Reactions: 1 user

Ok perfect! I was a little worried there too :) Thank you

The interview is so close! I'm a bit nervous about it but I'm also excited about the fact that I would be eating at one of the restaurants nearby. Lol.

Does anyone know what type of Math questions will be asked during FSA?

Does anyone know what type of Math questions will be asked during FSA?
I did the exam last year and it is not difficult math: how many mL will you need to prepare Xmg of a solution that contains Xmg/mL. This is just an example, but the questions are this type. The difficulty I would say is to get organize because we only have 90 minutes to do everything...

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if they ask questions particularly to the pharmacy field, such as any recent changes to the healthcare system, etc?

Nope. Mostly very general questions that don't require knowledge of any specific field.
There's really nothing you can prepare for here, except for your 5-10 minute presentation and maybe some general interview skills practice.

Nope. Mostly very general questions that don't require knowledge of any specific field.
There's really nothing you can prepare for here, except for your 5-10 minute presentation and maybe some general interview skills practice.

Thank you :) that definitely made me less nervous! ( I am freaking out aha!)

So there are no questions asking you about your experience working/volunteering in pharmacy or healthcare?

Right. Without giving away too much, I can say that you could use your non-healthcare work/volunteer experience for almost all of the questions if you wanted to.

Hey, guys I just finished my exams today afternoon, so I haven't really prepared for the interview. I am just wondering is 2 days enough to prepare, I feeling kinda worried !!

Hey, guys I just finished my exams today afternoon, so I haven't really prepared for the interview. I am just wondering is 2 days enough to prepare, I feeling kinda worried !!
I feel like the only thing you can prepare for is your 5-10 mins presentation! 2 days are enough for you to practice your presentation :)

Hi! I was wondering whether an interview outfit is suitable for this occasion? i.e. blazer, blouse, skirt or pants. Thank you!

This thread is pretty quiet compared to last year's threads haha

Ahh interviews are so close! :(

Yes good luck to everyone! Hope I get the opportunity to meet many of you in January :)

Does anyone else's Quest account show transcripts being received on 03/13/2015? I never requested for one to be sent in March =s

Good luck to everyone on the upcoming interviews!! :)

Goodluck everyone :D Hope everyone's interview goes well! We are almost there :) woohooo

I'm not impressed how they told me the last minute that the parking on Friday is not actually free. Lol. :p

Hey guys, how was the interview ?? and besides the photo ID (driver license) are we required to bring any other identification ??

have my interview tmrw at 1:30 been doing a lot to prepare, went to a mock interview at tatem centre at waterloo and I was told the correct method to answer each type of question, if there is a "why pharmacy, or why do you want to be a pharmacist" the answer should use the PAWS model and should be around 4 mins, and all other questions should be 2mins or so max. I was told that it is always good to relate every answer back to pharmacy, and in your answers show as much extra curricular involvement. I was also told that 240 interviews are the max, they do not take the top 240 applicants, they have set requirements, and only those who meet those will get an interview (up to 240) last year there were less than 240 interviews given out.

I was also told that 240 interviews are the max, they do not take the top 240 applicants, they have set requirements, and only those who meet those will get an interview (up to 240) last year there were less than 240 interviews given out.

do you know how many have been given out this year? And what exactly do you mean by saying the don't take the top 240 students and only accept students that meet the requirements?

I was not told that, but lets say 600 people applied, out of that the top 240 will not be guaranteed an interview, the admissions committee has set requirements they are looking for, based on that they will select up to 240 candidates for an interview.