University of Waterloo c/o 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can't wait for June 10 now :p

Members don't see this ad.

I wish the wait was shorter, I am stuck studying for PCAT in between and if I get in I will be happy but all the extra effort

Can someone please provide me with the address to where we sent the transcripts? I did my mid-transcripts through Quest (when I first applied) so I really don't know the address. Thank you so much :) really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
have my interview tmrw at 1:30 been doing a lot to prepare, went to a mock interview at tatem centre at waterloo and I was told the correct method to answer each type of question, if there is a "why pharmacy, or why do you want to be a pharmacist" the answer should use the PAWS model and should be around 4 mins, and all other questions should be 2mins or so max. I was told that it is always good to relate every answer back to pharmacy, and in your answers show as much extra curricular involvement. I was also told that 240 interviews are the max, they do not take the top 240 applicants, they have set requirements, and only those who meet those will get an interview (up to 240) last year there were less than 240 interviews given out.

hmm i wouldn't say it's about the length of your answers but rather the content. In my opinion it's better to have some short and concise answers if you cant add anything rather than ramble about unrelated experiences. I had my interview today btw and the interviewers are very nice and friendly. Less intimidating than expected.

DONE FSA AND INTERVIEW, the interviewers were very friendly, much more than expected.

I do noooot miss that at all hahahah
Goodluck though! Hopefully you wont have to even worry about it

Hey guys really quick question! So i had a 76% avg when applying but loads of experience in the field so i was able to get to the interview stage. I DIDNT do well in some subjects this term and my average dropped to a 73%. I would have to send the transcript in btw. Would i be disqualified now even though i have finished my fsa and interview successfully? :(

@Pharma333 Luckily someone in my session asked this question! The answer: as long as you pass all your pre-reqs, you will not be disqualified due to a drop in grades after the interview.

I was wondering if anyone's final transcripts got processed (as it is showing up on Quest)? I sent mine on May 12th, 2015 and it takes about 2-3 days to be sent but it still hasn't shown up on Quest.. So I was wondering if I should send one again haha

I was wondering if anyone's final transcripts got processed (as it is showing up on Quest)? I sent mine on May 12th, 2015 and it takes about 2-3 days to be sent but it still hasn't shown up on Quest.. So I was wondering if I should send one again haha

My final transcripts were processed :)

Members don't see this ad :)
is anyone taking summer school? Just debating whether it's worth it to pay for a course when I don't know if I'll go into 4th year or go to Waterloo. Same situation with PCAT ahah...

Well pcat is July 10th I think and then in September, I am studying for it myself slowly, and will study harder after June 10th IF I don't get in. Idid not book pcat yet, ill rather pay $50 extra than loose $110 on cancellation.
Also is there any FB group for Waterloo pharm?

Going back to the transcripts topic....
If you chose the option for the transcripts to be sent automatically in the fall term, do we have to order another set of transcripts?

I think you would have to request another transcript for the winter term (unless you already had all of your final grades at the end of the fall term).

For the FB group, I'm not sure if there is one, but I think upper years might make one when acceptances go out?

Well pcat is July 10th I think and then in September, I am studying for it myself slowly, and will study harder after June 10th IF I don't get in. Idid not book pcat yet, ill rather pay $50 extra than loose $110 on cancellation.
Also is there any FB group for Waterloo pharm?

I remember them saying on the interview day that the upper year students will make one for us once the offer of admissions are out :)

Hey guys, while we wait why don't we discuss the future of pharmacy?

I was reading multiple forums and threads and the outlook doesn't seem too bright. I am just scared that we all worked so hard to get to the position we're in only to be under more stress in the future. I would rather stay behind a year for the betterment of my career. Now I worked very hard to build up my resume in order to be a pharmacy candidate as I am sure you all did too, so I am wondering what your opinions are on this matter considering how far we've come.

Anyhow, I found an article related to U.S. Pharmacy projections ( http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/healthworkforce/supplydemand/usworkforce/projections/pharmacists.pdf ) and have been reading the thread over at www.reddit.com/r/pharmacy for a while now and there seems to be a lot of negativity about pharmacy on there. I just wanted to get your opinions on this, what do you guys think?

It all boils down if Pharmacy is truly what you want in life. If you are in it for the money or if you're just using it as a back-up plan from med school, then the 20k/yr investment will not be worth it. I truly hope that the deserving people get in this time.

Hey guys, while we wait why don't we discuss the future of pharmacy?

I was reading multiple forums and threads and the outlook doesn't seem too bright. I am just scared that we all worked so hard to get to the position we're in only to be under more stress in the future. I would rather stay behind a year for the betterment of my career. Now I worked very hard to build up my resume in order to be a pharmacy candidate as I am sure you all did too, so I am wondering what your opinions are on this matter considering how far we've come.

Anyhow, I found an article related to U.S. Pharmacy projections ( http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/healthworkforce/supplydemand/usworkforce/projections/pharmacists.pdf ) and have been reading the thread over at www.reddit.com/r/pharmacy for a while now and there seems to be a lot of negativity about pharmacy on there. I just wanted to get your opinions on this, what do you guys think?

I've done a lot of research on the matter in the past few months and my opinion on the career hasn't changed.
In the past 10 or 15 years I know that the USA has opened up several several pharmacy schools causing the total number of American pharmacy schools to surpass 130. With pumping out so many graduates many people find they graduate from the field jobless, or working part time. This is really unfortunate considering their PharmD tuition is about double ours on average. However at each school I interviewed at I asked about their graduates and in general got the same response: Most their graduates are employed and satisfied with their employment. The ones who aren't have unrealistic expectations - as you cant expect to get your dream job straight out of school. You may have to travel, and start in a differing field of Pharmacy.
Also you can't expect this is reflect projections of supply/demand of Canadian Pharmacist's due to the differing ratios of Pharmacy schools to populations of each the USA and Canada.

I have also heard a lot about increased supply but less demand, but then I have also seen many pharmacies here locally and work wise everyone is doing great. I am also sure that through uWaterloo's admission process it selects the best candidates for this profession who truly want to become a pharmacist, and are not just playing around. In the end it is survival of the fittest, those who are passionate about this career and work hard will have jobs and be successful, but those who are in it just for the money will not be as successful. Through my volunteer experience I have seen a pharmacy change owners since the pharmacist got greedy. Also this is a changing career with the new PharmD program, graduates will have better chances than those with Bachelors.

I've done a lot of research on the matter in the past few months and my opinion on the career hasn't changed.
In the past 10 or 15 years I know that the USA has opened up several several pharmacy schools causing the total number of American pharmacy schools to surpass 130. With pumping out so many graduates many people find they graduate from the field jobless, or working part time. This is really unfortunate considering their PharmD tuition is about double ours on average. However at each school I interviewed at I asked about their graduates and in general got the same response: Most their graduates are employed and satisfied with their employment. The ones who aren't have unrealistic expectations - as you cant expect to get your dream job straight out of school. You may have to travel, and start in a differing field of Pharmacy.
Also you can't expect this is reflect projections of supply/demand of Canadian Pharmacist's due to the differing ratios of Pharmacy schools to populations of each the USA and Canada.

Considering a lot of pharmacists in the states are out of jobs do you think there will be more of them moving to Canada which would ultimately cause saturation here too? And of course the schools you interview at will have nothing but good things to say about pharmacy, they are trying to attract the most qualified candidates and ensure competition stays high. Even if pharmacists right now are happy with their jobs, I wonder how that will change in the next 15-20 years. Considering that independent pharmacies are not taking huge hits since the government is lowering reimbursement rates, I am really worried about the future of pharmacy ( http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...s-generic-drug-payments-again/article4170794/ ).

Again, I'd like to apologize for being the devil's advocate here but I want to ensure that this is a career that provides the job security and financial reimbursement that we would all have to work so hard to get.

It's not a trivial thing for US pharmacists to just move here. I know a bunch of foreign-trained pharmacists, including a few from English speaking countries, and it's quite a process for them to get licensed here.

I live outside the GTA and don't see a problem with saturation here. If you're not picky where you live, the saturation problem is unlikely to affect you.

The other issue is that pharmacists are being asked to take on more and more clinical responsibilities without a corresponding increase in pay. Whether this is a problem for you just depends on your expectations, I guess.

how is everyone keeping busy while waiting? This long wait is so annoying ahhh.

Vacation for the next few days, then I'm back to working 50 hours/week, haha.

Almost there guys, time will fly by soon enough. ;)

Vacation for the next few days, then I'm back to working 50 hours/week, haha.
That's a lot... You are brave! I am myself doing full time at work (around 30) and I can't imagine doing more on a regular basis !

and here I am asking for more hours at work just to keep busy and not think about this ahah

Don't apologize, I'm glad you have the intellectual curiosity enabling you to make an informed decision. And yes schools will want to try and attract to you that's why you have to ask for specifics. Most american schools publicly show their national test pass rates, post-graduate employment, and residency rates. You have to dig deeper to find those statistics in Canada but you have to really look for them and ask for specifics during your interviews (or even before/after).

It is quite a process for them to have to move to Canada but also not impossible. You can't just cross the border expecting to be able to practice regardless of if you have a higher level of education than many of the already practicing pharmacists.

It's all about what you're willing to settle for. If you're greedy and have unrealistically high expectations then maybe the pharmacy isn't the best option.

me too, will be so happy if I get in, and if I don't.......

hey guys! i didn't know this existed :hungover: ahh im so nervous
like T - 7 days:nailbiting:

Nope I did not, this is the only school I applied to, will be doing cat next month if I don't get in, to apply to other schools :(
you have a back up plan at least! :) what have you been doing to pass the time?? try to keep busy and not think about it as much (or that's what i'm trying at least D: )

you have a back up plan at least! :) what have you been doing to pass the time?? try to keep busy and not think about it as much (or that's what i'm trying at least D: )
lol killing time by studying here and there, hard to focus, knowing it can go to waste, and volunteering at a pharmacy, either for reference if I don't get in, or for future local co-op position as it is a new pharmacy, and it is gaining popularity and volume is increasing.

Just curious, what is your plan B is pharmacy doesn't work?

Just curious, what is your plan B is pharmacy doesn't work?
plan A UW pharmacy, plan B uoft pharmacy, plan CDEFG... (insert all pharmacy schools in the states)
Basically not giving up :)

lol killing time by studying here and there, hard to focus, knowing it can go to waste, and volunteering at a pharmacy, either for reference if I don't get in, or for future local co-op position as it is a new pharmacy, and it is gaining popularity and volume is increasing.
plan A UW pharmacy, plan B uoft pharmacy, plan CDEFG... (insert all pharmacy schools in the states)
Basically not giving up :)
hahaha i see you are passionate in pursuing a career in pharmacy! :) i hope the interviewers could see that initiative ! yea i know what you mean with it being hard to focus :( don't worry we're getting there!

T - 6 days

Nope I did not, this is the only school I applied to, will be doing cat next month if I don't get in, to apply to other schools :(

I know the feeling! Last year I only applied to UofT, and I got on the wait list but never heard back :( So immediately after I realized the wait list was not going to work out, I did everything I could to prepare myself for Waterloo`s application process and requirements. This year I applied to both schools, so hopefully at least one will work out! If my applications are not successful I honestly don`t know what else I could have done differently at this point...I`ve also already been finished undergrad for one year already.

plans CDEFG sound good :p You'll get accepted no problem if you have the motivation. Just tuition is a little pricey. If you have any questions about applying to american schools feel free to shoot me a message ive done the whole process.
Good luck everyone!

7 more days! The wait is killing me. Good luck everyone!

I know the feeling! Last year I only applied to UofT, and I got on the wait list but never heard back :( So immediately after I realized the wait list was not going to work out, I did everything I could to prepare myself for Waterloo`s application process and requirements. This year I applied to both schools, so hopefully at least one will work out! If my applications are not successful I honestly don`t know what else I could have done differently at this point...I`ve also already been finished undergrad for one year already.
I'm in the same boat as you! My world became flat when I didn't get in to UofT last year. Hopefully, we get in this time at either school! :)

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you! My world became flat when I didn't get into UofT last year. Hopefully, we get in this time at either school! :)
is there a reason you guys only applied to Uoft last year? since UofT requires the PCAT so i would've thought you'd apply to UW too since they don't need it and it's like a, why not kinda thing :p