UPenn c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Out of those who have been offered acceptance already - how many of your are IS vs OS?
I was accepted OOS last year but have become IS for this coming year (I deferred a year to get residency).

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm freaking out that I totally screwed up my interview on Friday. I woke up at 3am Friday morning with a nasty stomach bug. I pulled myself together as best I could and spent a lot of time just trying to will myself not to vomit or pass out from lack of sleep. I had a hard time reading my interviewer too. Monday can't come soon enough, though I will cry if I don't get an acceptance call.

I had really wanted to go to the happy hour too, but I almost fell asleep while driving home. There is no way I could have stayed up right that long.

don't worry @Jilary! i'm on the same boat as you. I have no idea how it went and I've been losing sleep over it. I'm dreading Monday bc I'm pretty sure I won't get that call.

BUT! Stay positive. You made it this far. Keep your chin up ;)

@Jilary- I had Dr. Littman. She was cool and kept asking questions and seemed genuinely interested in my
PS and experience, but she said we finished the interview early. I never take that as a good thing!

And I'm sure all of them were exhausted after interviewing 20 or so candidates each since early in the morning!

Oh wow! I didn't know that. I still wonder how they collectively make a decision on us after only one of them interviewing us. :nailbiting:

Oh wow! I didn't know that. I still wonder how they collectively make a decision on us after only one of them interviewing us. :nailbiting:
Each interviewer probably advocates for the people that they interviewed that they thought were the best fit

And then they ignore that, throw everyone's name into a hat, and pick some people ;)

Reactions: 5 users
And then they ignore that, throw everyone's name into a hat, and pick some people ;)

We determined this a long time ago....

They tack all the applications to a wall in the hallway. Then all the staff goes and gets super drunk. Then they come back and toss darts at the applications (each person having a certain number of darts). The applications that get hit with a dart, are selected.

Reactions: 3 users

They tack all the applications to a wall in the hallway. Then all the staff goes and gets super drunk. Then they come back and toss darts at the applications (each person having a certain number of darts). The applications that get hit with a dart, are selected.
But what if they accidentally hit each other with the darts?? :eek:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
But what if they accidentally hit each other with the darts?? :eek:

They will be drunk so they won't feel it...

They will just have to re-throw that dart... and that person that is hit... they get waitlisted... any darts that miss and have to be rethrown= waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
They will be drunk so they won't feel it...

They will just have to re-throw that dart... and that person that is hit... they get waitlisted... any darts that miss and have to be rethrown= waitlist.
Brilliant!
Now all we need to do is sneak in when they're drunk, they won't even notice, steal a couple darts, and carefully place them on our own applications...

Brilliant!
Now all we need to do is sneak in when they're drunk, they won't even notice, steal a couple darts, and carefully place them on our own applications...

My friends, we have officially debunked the Penn vet admissions selection mystery ;)

@Swongy - who did you interview with? A few people told me the man I interviewed with could be hard to read.

Hmm, I'm curious as to who you had. I know a few professors and such who have been involved frequently but now with them doing twice the interviews in a day, I'm not sure who is all involved. PM it to me!!

And I'm totally sorry about the stomach bug thing. That totally sucks. If it makes you feel any better, I got laid off from my job the day before mine and had to try to not have a break down when they asked about work and such.

Obviously this is what our Friday happy hours are for.

Reactions: 6 users
I think you've solved it! The darts were apparently in my favor, haha! I'm IS by the way...I believe someone asked earlier.

this just popped into my head- does Penn notify if applicants are on the wait list?

At my interview, they said you would know your status no later than two weeks from the interview date. So I would assume they will e-mail you if you are rejected or on hold before their two week deadline. Can anyone verify this?

I interviewed last Friday as well. I hope the darts are in my favor too :nailbiting:. I just really hope to hear Monday!

I'm not sure about hearing about rejections/hold, but I would assume we find out before the two weeks. That was also the impression I got.

I have a question about the photo we need to send to Penn. Does it need to be a professional picture/mugshot? Like the picture on my student ID or something. Or can it be straight-on, clear, solo picture of me next to an animal?

@jmstroup i sent in a picture that was a clear, solo shot with a binturong. they just use it to make sure it's you when they call you for the interview.

is there any chance that the ad com decided to not go to work today bc of the brewing snow storm, leaving all of the Friday applicants hanging to the edge of their seats?

oh i hope not ... :(

is there any chance that the ad com decided to not go to work today bc of the brewing snow storm, leaving all of the Friday applicants hanging to the edge of their seats?

Hopefully not :/ it's mostly supposed to hit us in NYC/Long Island. So far it's just pleasant snow flurries for my dog to play in. Perhaps adcom is building snowmen?

It's really not that bad in Philly and they haven't called off classes or anything, so my bet is that people will be calling today!

Yeah, classes haven't been called off yet, even for those who have to make the hike to NBC, so everyone should still be in the offices.

Just in case, what happens if we can't make it to an interview because of weather? What happens if the interview itself is canceled?

Just in case, what happens if we can't make it to an interview because of weather? What happens if the interview itself is canceled?

You'd probably have to talk to them directly about that. I'm sure the huge snow storms last year did something to an interview here and there, but I honestly can't remember the outcome.

I was one of the people very nearly affected by last year's blizzard-like thing. They'll reschedule you if you legitimately can't make it due to weather. My flight got cancelled 5 different times but I managed to hop on a flight last-second. Even with the crazy weather they didn't cancel the interview.

Sending good vibes everyone's way! Don't panic if you're not called early afternoon. My call came after 4 pm (EST) after I had convinced myself admissions was closed :p

Reactions: 3 users
are we still waiting?? lol

i'm starting to give up :unsure:

same here. i was hoping to hear soon and not have to fly all the way to ohio.

Same here too! Last night I ended up booking a flight to Minnesota for this weekend, but I really, really want to be able to cancel it.

Since it's 5pm and no one has heard anything...do we just assume they're not getting back to us today...?

I wouldn't completely give up for another half hour or so (my friend who interviewed last week got a voicemail at 4:30 saying she could call back until 5:30), but it isn't looking good :(

Hey everyone! I got the phone call today at 11:11 am. I applied as a food animal medicine student though.

Last edited: