UTSD-Houston Class of 2026 Interview/Acceptance Thread

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck everyone!

Link to last years thread: UTSD-Houston Class of 2025 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Link to interview prep: University of Texas Health Science Center-Houston School of Dentistry Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Did they start sending out completion emails yet? I haven’t heard much news from them T_T

I got an "application received" email on 6/28. Nothing other than that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does UT Houston require any additional essays in their secondary application?

Hey fam - current 4th year at UTSD! I am procrastinating studying boards so thought i would throw an AMA out there :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey fam - current 4th year at UTSD! I am procrastinating studying boards so thought i would throw an AMA out there :)
Thank you for doing this, Were you IS or OOS when you applied to UTSD? Also what were your stats and were you offered a pre-dec interview invite?

Thank you for doing this, Were you IS or OOS when you applied to UTSD? Also what were your stats and were you offered a pre-dec interview invite?
I am not from TX but at the time I applied I was technically a TX resident so i was IS.

My stats were:
Date of submission: End of July (2017)
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA:
Master's program: Microbiology/Immunology at Tulane Medical School
Master's GPA: 3.97
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
22 AA, tbh I dont remember the specific sections but I think my lowest was a 20
State of Residence: TX

Undergrad Attended: U Tulsa
Major: Biology
Minor: Spanish
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes (3x)
Nontrad? Yes - graduated undergrad in 2014, worked as an ortho assistant for 1 year, moved to TX and worked as a general assistant for 2 years, then moved to NOLA for my masters program in 2017

Shadowing Experience: Probably like 75-100 hrs at various dental offices. Sorry i cant remember exact.
Volunteering Experience: I don't remember. A lot, probably about 500 over the various things I did? I worked once a week during undergrad doing admin work for a hospice center and also for the American Diabetes Association. I did a dental mission trip to Guatemala that was about 80 hrs of work. Various volunteering opportunities with my university etc. When i was an assistant we did Dentistry from the Heart events each year. I did another dental mission trip to the Dominican that was about 60 hrs.
Employment: Around 5000 hrs of ortho assisting/general assisting over 3 years. I also worked full time 40-45 hrs per week at Outback Steakhouse Jr/Sr yr of high school and all through college to pay bills.
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Treasurer for Iota Sigma Pi women in chemistry honor society was my only leadership position

My interview was actually in January. I had already been accepted to 2 other schools on Dec 1st but I obviously decided to go to the interview bc TX schools are so economical lol. Actually, 4 of us out of my interview group that day are now currently in my class so. I always tell people don't let the interview date fool you. Our school is awesome about not accepting most of the class Dec 1st. In fact our associate dean of student affairs has said its more like 50% of spots are offered on Dec 1st and the rest are offered at various times through the spring.

I know I had a bit of a different path than most applicants! But I would be happy to answer any more questions. Also FWIW I was a 3x reapplicant with not great undergrad stats and now i am in the top 10 of my class and applying for ortho residencies. Don't give up guys its seriously so worth it.

Reactions: 4 users
I received my interview invite this morning! 😃 My interview is on Tuesday, August 24th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview #2
School: UTSD Houston
Notification date: 8/16/2021
Method of notification: Email
Residency: Texas
Application complete date: 5/25/2021
Application received by school: 6/20/2021
GPA (overall, science): 3.95, 3.92
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/20/22/20/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 8/31/2021
Method of Interview: In-person

Hi if you don’t mind can I message you or have your email? I have some questions about UTSD and I have an interview with them next week on Tuesday 😁

Interview #3
Notification date: 8/30/2021
Application complete date: 5/25/2021
Application received by school: 06/28/2021
GPA (overall, science): 3.97, 3.96
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/20/19/23/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 9/14/2021
Method of Interview: Virtual

Interview #1
Application complete date: 7/22/2021
Application received by school: 08/3/2021
GPA (overall, science): 3.74, 3.60
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/17/25/none

Hopefully this can give y'all motivation/hope because every thread above has near 4.0 gpas!

Notification date: 8/29/2021
Residency: Utah
Application complete date: 5/3/2021
Application received by school: 5/20/2021
GPA (overall, science): 3.84, 3.81
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/21/22/20/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 9/13/2021

Notification date: 8/29/2021
Residency: Utah
Application complete date: 5/3/2021
Application received by school: 5/20/2021
GPA (overall, science): 3.84, 3.81
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/21/22/20/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 9/13/2021
Did you apply through TMDSAS? Cuz AADSAS wasnt open till June.

Interview #1
Application complete date: 7/22/2021
Application received by school: 08/3/2021
GPA (overall, science): 3.74, 3.60
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/17/25/none

Hopefully this can give y'all motivation/hope because every thread above has near 4.0 gpas!
Congrats on your interview. Mind I ask what are some of your strengths in your application? You have good stats definitely but is there anything else that made you stand out more in your opinion?

Congrats on your interview. Mind I ask what are some of your strengths in your application? You have good stats definitely but is there anything else that made you stand out more in your opinion?
I did a summer dental program at TAMU & I have strong essays. Also I have 15 anatomy & physiology credits combined and 6 biochem credits. I would say those were my honest strengths. Thanks by the way!

Last edited:
Does UT Houston typically review TMDSAS applicants before they review AADSAS? Just curious about how they do it/prioritize in-state vs. out-of-state

Interview #2
School: UTSD
Notification date: 9/20
Residency: IS
Application complete date: 7/3/2021
Application received by school: 7/28/2021
GPA (science, overall): 3.88, 3.93
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/NO
Dates available: first week of October
Method of interview: virtual

Hey y’all I’m a D1 here at UTSD, I just wanted to share some info that I wish I had when I was applying.

I know SDN can make you feel like you’re not good enough sometimes when you look at other people’s stats, but you do not have to have a 3.9+ and 25+ AA to get in lol. The stats for matriculants from my class are 3.77 overall GPA, 3.72 science GPA and 22 AA (this info was given to us during orientation).

Also, if you get an interview your chances of getting in are pretty high. Last cycle the school had around 300 interviews out of which 195 offers were extended. Our class size is 106.

So if you got an interview it’s a huge accomplishment, since there can be over 1500 applications every year!

Reactions: 1 users
Interview #4
Notification date:9/29/2021
Mail-out date: 6/29/2021
Application complete date: 6/7/2021
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/23/20/22/none
Dates available OR your interview date:10/12/2021

Last edited:
Interview #4
School: UTHSCSA
Notification date:9/29/2021
Mail-out date: 6/29/2021
Application complete date: 6/7/2021
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/23/20/22/none
Dates available OR your interview date:10/12/2021
First of all Congratulations! But I think you post it on the wrong thread lol.

First of all Congratulations! But I think you post it on the wrong thread lol.
Lmao sorry I forgot to change the name to Houston. I did receive one from Houston, honestly 🤣. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:
Lmao sorry I forgot to change the name to Houston. I did receive one from Houston, honestly 🤣. Thanks for the heads up!
Oh, I have no doubts you received one lol.
Good luck with your interview/s.

• Care
Interview #2
School:UTSD
Notification date: 10/14/2021
Application complete date: 7/14/2021
Application received by school: 7/27/2021 (LOR received 8/10/2021)
GPA (overall, science): 3.96, 4.0
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 25/24/24/26/none
Dates available OR your interview date: Oct 26

Just got an email inviting me for an in-person tour of the school! I interviewed 9/14.

Interview #2
School
: UTSD
Notification date: 11/16
Method of Notification: Email
Application complete date: 05/21
GPA (science, overall): 3.93, 3.95
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/22/19/21/None
Interview date: 12/07
Method of interview: Virtual

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
For those who already interviewed, do you know if we find out exactly at midnight on December 1st about our decision?

Offered at 12:01 !!! God is good 🙌
Congrats to everyone who got accepted today and very soon !!
If you haven’t heard back please don’t be discouraged. Everything will work out and it is still super early in the admission process.
Believe in yourself, you’re loved by everyone around you !!!!

Anyone know of a facebook or groupme group for accepted?

Congrats to everyone that has gotten accepted! Please join the UTSD Class of 2026 Facebook page! Be sure to message us a screenshot of your acceptance letter to get approved for the group. UTSD Houston Class of 2026

offered at 12:01 am ! i was really surprised how fast they did compared to other texas schools

Does anyone know how the rolling admissions process works? like how many people are accepted the first round? and how many rounds are there? is there one at the end of this month? How long are accepted students given to accept their admissions? If you're not admitted the first day, does that mean you are considered backup?