UTSD-Houston Class of 2026 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Does anyone know how the rolling admissions process works? like how many people are accepted the first round? and how many rounds are there? is there one at the end of this month? How long are accepted students given to accept their admissions? If you're not admitted the first day, does that mean you are considered backup?
UTSD tends to accept less students in the first round than other Texas schools. They’re not in a rush to fill up their class. Just because you didn’t get an offer yesterday doesn’t mean you’re a backup or anything like that. They’ll continue to interview until late January/early February and come back to accept other students who didn’t get an offer earlier. I think students are given a couple weeks but accepting an offer is not binding so if you get an offer please accept it even if you’re not sure whether you’ll attend.

Last cycle I think they sent out around 10 admissions every week up until late March. I interviewed in December and there were people who interviewed in January and got accepted within 2 weeks. I remember getting super dejected but I ended up getting accepted in late February. There’s still hope, don’t count yourself out!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
UTSD tends to accept less students in the first round than other Texas schools. They’re not in a rush to fill up their class. Just because you didn’t get an offer yesterday doesn’t mean you’re a backup or anything like that. They’ll continue to interview until late January/early February and come back to accept other students who didn’t get an offer earlier. I think students are given a couple weeks but accepting an offer is not binding so if you get an offer please accept it even if you’re not sure whether you’ll attend.

Last cycle I think they sent out around 10 admissions every week up until late March. I interviewed in December and there were people who interviewed in January and got accepted within 2 weeks. I remember getting super dejected but I ended up getting accepted in late February. There’s still hope, don’t count yourself out!
oh really! That's great news to hear. Are you sure about the 10 admissions approximately every week? One of my friends said it was just a big batch on dec. 1st then later would be the second round. But, that's very encouraging. I interviewed in November so I assumed I would hear back exactly on Dec. 1, but I didn't realize the randomness of the process.

oh really! That's great news to hear. Are you sure about the 10 admissions approximately every week? One of my friends said it was just a big batch on dec. 1st then later would be the second round. But, that's very encouraging. I interviewed in November so I assumed I would hear back exactly on Dec. 1, but I didn't realize the randomness of the process.
It might be less or more but it's around there. It's not like there's two rounds and that's it like your friend said. The next round of acceptances will probably go out in late January and then weekly or biweekly (I said every week but I looked back at the old acceptance thread and it looks like sometimes it was weekly, other times it was biweekly). It can be pretty nerve-racking because every week a few more people will get accepted and you'll still be wondering whether or not you've been rejected. But the chances are in your favor (2/3 of people who interview will receive an offer) so just remain hopeful and proactive as well in the unlikely case you have to reapply.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I have my interview coming up, and I noticed there's a scheduled time for lunch with student leaders. Can someone who has interviewed virtually explain what exactly we're doing during this scheduled time? Like are we actually eating with them virtually lol? Also are we being evaluated during this time?

Hey everyone! I have my interview coming up, and I noticed there's a scheduled time for lunch with student leaders. Can someone who has interviewed virtually explain what exactly we're doing during this scheduled time? Like are we actually eating with them virtually lol? Also are we being evaluated during this time
In my interview the lunch was very laid back and chill. The student leaders ate lunch and you could eat lunch as well if you wanted to.

Does anyone know the last day they will send out interview invites in this circle? Thank you so much.

Did second wave get sent out yet?

Accepted students GroupMe: You're invited to my new group 'UTSD Houston Class of ‘26🦷🪥😎' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Interview 2
School: UTSD Houston
Notification date: 01/14/2022
Method of notification: Email
Residency: Texas
Application complete date: 08/09/2021
Application received by school: 08/25/2021
GPA (overall, science): 3.80, 3.69
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/22/21/25/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 01/27/2022
Method of Interview: Virtual

Interview #5
School: UTSD Houston
Notification date: 01/14/2022
Method of notification: Email
Residency: Texas
Application complete date: June 2021
Application transmitted to school: June 2021
GPA (overall, science): 3.98, 3.96
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/22/23/22/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 01/27/2022
Method of Interview: Virtual

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview #6
School: UTSD
Notification date:
Method of notification: E-mail
Residency: IS
Application sent: 06/10/2021
Application transmitted to school: 06/19/2021
GPA (overall, science): 3.80, 3.78
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/RC/any section below 17): 20/21/no
Interview date: 1/27
Method of interview: virtual

Yeah I am having a hard time looking into what score of DAT is required for UTSD
There isn't really a requirement? The average in the last couple of classes has been a 20 or 21 i think. Are you asking if they have a cutoff for a minimum DAT score?

Does anyone know if the interview period is over?
I hope not lol. Was really hoping to get an interview opportunity with Houston. I have heard of people interviewing in February and March in the previous cycle, so hopefully there is still a chance to interview this month.

I do not know about the interview period, but i can assure you that they said they will send out acceptance in Feb, march, April when I interviewed last week

Has anyone who had a post-December interview heard about admissions decisions yet?

Reactions: 1 users
Are they still sending out offers? Anybody heard back this week?

Reactions: 2 users
At this point, I am assuming third round was already sent out but no one said anything!

I see
I am just afraid the class is full and that's why they haven't sent anything, but I still have some hope
when did you interview?

Were acceptances sent in the last couple of days? Or the last wave was on the 1st of March?

I am not from TX but at the time I applied I was technically a TX resident so i was IS.

My stats were:
Date of submission: End of July (2017)
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.3
Master's program: Microbiology/Immunology at Tulane Medical School
Master's GPA: 3.97
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22 AA, tbh I dont remember the specific sections but I think my lowest was a 20
State of Residence: TX

Undergrad Attended: U Tulsa
Major: Biology
Minor: Spanish
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes (3x)
Nontrad? Yes - graduated undergrad in 2014, worked as an ortho assistant for 1 year, moved to TX and worked as a general assistant for 2 years, then moved to NOLA for my masters program in 2017

Shadowing Experience: Probably like 75-100 hrs at various dental offices. Sorry i cant remember exact.
Volunteering Experience: I don't remember. A lot, probably about 500 over the various things I did? I worked once a week during undergrad doing admin work for a hospice center and also for the American Diabetes Association. I did a dental mission trip to Guatemala that was about 80 hrs of work. Various volunteering opportunities with my university etc. When i was an assistant we did Dentistry from the Heart events each year. I did another dental mission trip to the Dominican that was about 60 hrs.
Employment: Around 5000 hrs of ortho assisting/general assisting over 3 years. I also worked full time 40-45 hrs per week at Outback Steakhouse Jr/Sr yr of high school and all through college to pay bills.
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Treasurer for Iota Sigma Pi women in chemistry honor society was my only leadership position

My interview was actually in January. I had already been accepted to 2 other schools on Dec 1st but I obviously decided to go to the interview bc TX schools are so economical lol. Actually, 4 of us out of my interview group that day are now currently in my class so. I always tell people don't let the interview date fool you. Our school is awesome about not accepting most of the class Dec 1st. In fact our associate dean of student affairs has said its more like 50% of spots are offered on Dec 1st and the rest are offered at various times through the spring.

I know I had a bit of a different path than most applicants! But I would be happy to answer any more questions. Also FWIW I was a 3x reapplicant with not great undergrad stats and now i am in the top 10 of my class and applying for ortho residencies. Don't give up guys its seriously so worth it.
Thank you very much for doing the AMA section. Some of my dental students say that UT Houston dental students had to find patients by themself to practice clinical skills compared to other schools in TX. How do you view this statement? What is your experience? How frequently do you have clinical practices? Would it suffices or under-prepare you for the real-world problems?

Thank you very much for doing the AMA section. Some of my dental students say that UT Houston dental students had to find patients by themself to practice clinical skills compared to other schools in TX. How do you view this statement? What is your experience? How frequently do you have clinical practices? Would it suffices or under-prepare you for the real-world problems?
We did not have to find our own patients. You can bring in friends and family if you want but we have tons and tons of patients that come in through the assessment clinic. Houston is gigantic and there are tons of people in need. We actually have a wait list so that part is not an issue at all, I had to ask them to stop giving me patients lol.

I felt like we got a lot of clinical experience, way more than my friends at other schools. We had to do 8 arches of removable, 3 anterior endo and 3 molar, ~15 units of fixed, ~100 ext (everyone does way more than that) and tons and tons of fillings. Once you are in 3rd and 4th year you pretty much have clinic all day every day except for like 1 or 2 classes a week.

Reactions: 1 users
We did not have to find our own patients. You can bring in friends and family if you want but we have tons and tons of patients that come in through the assessment clinic. Houston is gigantic and there are tons of people in need. We actually have a wait list so that part is not an issue at all, I had to ask them to stop giving me patients lol.

I felt like we got a lot of clinical experience, way more than my friends at other schools. We had to do 8 arches of removable, 3 anterior endo and 3 molar, ~15 units of fixed, ~100 ext (everyone does way more than that) and tons and tons of fillings. Once you are in 3rd and 4th year you pretty much have clinic all day every day except for like 1 or 2 classes a week.
Thank you so much for correcting the misperception. How would you rate UTSD compared to the other 3 schools in Texas? What are UTSD pros and cons?