VCU/MCV School of Pharmacy Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Redacted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I really want to make the VCU School of Pharmacy Class of 2018 facebook page. But, it won't let me make it if I don't have friends to add to it. I'm not currently facebook friends with anyone going there next year. So, if you are for sure going to VCU, please feel free to add me on facebook so I can add you to the group I'm creating. After that it'll be an open group and y'all can add any VCU SOP 2018's you know.

My name is Kailey Billings (https://www.facebook.com/kailey.billings)

There's already a VCU School of Pharmacy Class of 2018 Group on Facebook :)
Here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1390218461217227/

Oh cool! I tried looking for one and it didn't show up! Thanks for the link.

Members don't see this ad :)
My background check information was released almost 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything more from VCU. Anyone else in a similar situation or know how long it usually takes for them to respond?

My background check information was released almost 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything more from VCU. Anyone else in a similar situation or know how long it usually takes for them to respond?

I was looking at VCU SOP Class of 2017 forum and found this post by VCU Admissions:

"
The time could vary depending upon several factors (e.g., have you just given permission for the background check?, have you released the results after the check was complete?, did you indicate immediate release of the results after you were notified?, and how quickly we can review the results in our office and create the official letter). In most cases, we will generate the official letter within 5-10 days of receiving the results.
"

Hope this helps. You might want to call them just in case.

I am a current student here, last year when I got in I was so excited. I got into UNC Chapel Hill's program first, but after I visited the school and everyone was so nice and everything appeared new and shiny, I was set on going here. Someone warned me not to go here and said I was crazy for turning down chapel hill ( which is ranked higher). I ignored them and looking back I REALLLLY REGRET coming here. It was a huge mistake. I talked to a friend of mine at chapel hill and she tells me about how wonderful of a time she is having, and I along with many of my classmates are just miserable and fed up with the administration here. DONT COME HERE, if you have another option.

I am also a current student here, and I respect that everyone has different experiences, but I wanted to put out there that I have had a great experience with VCU SOP so far (opportunities for leadership, involvement, committed faculty, PM me if you want to talk more about it). I remember reading something similar on here when I was applying, and want to encourage you all to form your own opinions of the school through your interviews and maybe talking with a few more current students.. I'm really glad that I did. Good luck with the application process and hope to see you next Fall :)

Reactions: 1 users
I am also a current student at VCU School of Pharmacy. Every school has it's pros and cons, and a big part of the interview process is to find a school that fits you best. I'm sorry the previous student regrets their decision to attend VCU, but there are also students very happy with their decision here. I feel as though I am getting a fantastic education with numerous opportunities to work, volunteer, and get involved. If VCU is where you feel you belong, we would love to see you around for the next 4 years! If not, find a program that you feel comfortable with. However, just because you do not feel happy with your decisions is not an appropriate reason to vaguely badmouth your current situation. Please allow these prospective students to make their own decisions without spreading your negativity.

I am also a current student here, and I respect that everyone has different experiences, but I wanted to put out there that I have had a great experience with VCU SOP so far (opportunities for leadership, involvement, committed faculty, PM me if you want to talk more about it). I remember reading something similar on here when I was applying, and want to encourage you all to form your own opinions of the school through your interviews and maybe talking with a few more current students.. I'm really glad that I did. Good luck with the application process and hope to see you next Fall :)

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone from 11/9 or 11/16 heard back? The wait is agonizing...:oops:
I could ask the same thing :( I interviewed 11/16 and hoping to find out before the deposit deadlines for my other schools. I hate the wait and I don't want to end up paying more than 1 deposit.

i got my official letter today and i was wondering for the transcript, do we send them in once we r finished with school or now? thanks guys!

i got my official letter today and i was wondering for the transcript, do we send them in once we r finished with school or now? thanks guys!

Congratts! patelr I have a question if you do not mind asking when did you get your supplemental application when you were extended an interview? and how was your interview process at VCU?

Congratts! patelr I have a question if you do not mind asking when did you get your supplemental application when you were extended an interview? and how was your interview process at VCU?

Your supplemental application is sent to you by mail shortly after you are notified of an interview offer. You only have to pay the supplemental application fee if you are extended an invite. The interview process (at least for me) lasts a little under 5 hours and is composed of (1) an orientation, (2) two closed-file 2 on 1 interviews, (3) a writing assignment, (4) a tour of the campus, (5) a couple of breaks to meet the other applicants and students, and (6) an informal wrap-up. In my experience, and as supported by others, it is one of the friendliest, relaxed interviews you'll ever have :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone from the 11/16 interview heard back yet?

@VCU Admissions when do you plan on releasing acceptances for the people that interviewed on that date? Thanks!

@VCU Admissions when do you plan on releasing acceptances for the people that interviewed on that date? Thanks!
I don't think it works like that. You have to remember they are also re-reviewing older applications and receiving new ones continually due to their rolling admissions. Just because 1 of the 20 people on your interview day received an acceptance response does not necessarily dictate the other 19 who did not hear back were rejected or even reviewed yet.

I don't think it works like that. You have to remember they are also re-reviewing older applications and receiving new ones continually due to their rolling admissions. Just because 1 of the 20 people on your interview day received an acceptance response does not necessarily dictate the other 19 who did not hear back were rejected or even reviewed yet.
Yeah, I completely understand it doesn't work like that. It just seems like a general trend from reading previous post that people who interviewed on the same day also happened to be accepted on the same day. I just want a general idea of whether or not anyone has heard back so I can determine whether or not I need to pay a deposit for another school (due next week). I usually won't mind the waiting but when it comes down to money, I just want to know what to expect, whether or not admissions has reviewed yet, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Sent in my deposit today! :soexcited: Now time to focus on some of these undergrad final exams…

I received a Certifi request this evening, but I haven't gotten anything from VCU. Is it essentially a prelim acceptance?

I think so. I received a Certiphi request a week before receiving VCU's preliminary acceptance.

Fingers crossed! Good luck!

Did you get accepted into any other schools that also needed certiphi?

I got accepted into two other schools that required certiphi so I did all of the processing for that already. I called certiphi a while back to ask how it will work if and when I get accepted by other schools also requesting certiphi. They said the school would just automatically go in and get it without requesting it from me. Not sure if this is how it works though.

So my question, if anyone can answer, is will VCU send me a certiphi request even though I already submitted one a long time ago? I'm hoping that I got accepted but they just went directly to certiphi to obtain my background check without requesting from me >_<....because I didn't receive any request today :(

Did you get accepted into any other schools that also needed certiphi?

I got accepted into two other schools that required certiphi so I did all of the processing for that already. I called certiphi a while back to ask how it will work if and when I get accepted by other schools also requesting certiphi. They said the school would just automatically go in and get it without requesting it from me. Not sure if this is how it works though.

So my question, if anyone can answer, is will VCU send me a certiphi request even though I already submitted one a long time ago? I'm hoping that I got accepted but they just went directly to certiphi to obtain my background check without requesting from me >_<....because I didn't receive any request today :(

I've only applied to VCU, so the Certiphi must be for them...I haven't actually gotten anything directly from VCU though. This waiting game is the WORST!

I've only applied to VCU, so the Certiphi must be for them...I haven't actually gotten anything directly from VCU though. This waiting game is the WORST!
If it says in the certiphi email that you have been "conditionally accepted", then yes it is most likely that you have been accepted. That was the case for my other schools. GAHH waiting sucks and now I'm really confused about how this certiphi thing works.

If it says in the certiphi email that you have been "conditionally accepted", then yes it is most likely that you have been accepted. That was the case for my other schools. GAHH waiting sucks and now I'm really confused about how this certiphi thing works.

I applied to Maryland and Shenandoah as well, but haven't interviewed for those 2 schools yet. VCU is the only school I've interviewed at so I just assumed the certiphi email was from them. I agree, waiting is the worst! Don't stress though :) Call them Monday and ask. Good luck to all of us!

Never mind, I think I got my answer :p. Just checked the PharmCAS website FAQ for this info.

"Your consent will serve for all pharmacy schools, and you will not be asked to provide consent upon receiving additional, conditional acceptance offers by participating pharmacy schools."

https://portal.pharmcas.org/applicants2013/faq/pcas_background_check.shtml
In case anyone is curious on how this whole certiphi thing works.

Sucks that I already submitted my certiphi though :( I won't know if I got "conditionally accepted" like all of you did, sigh.

Just to clarify for the certiphi email: I received my cetiphi email on 11/13 and then got the preliminary acceptance email from VCU on 11/14. Since today is Sunday and their office might be closed you might have to wait until tomorrow but probably not much longer than that! :) Don't stress about it! Getting the cetiphi email is good news! Congratulations and good luck everybody!

The VCU Admissions Committee held its last meeting of the semester late last week and a number of additional students were accepted into the Class of 2018. Most accepted applicants interviewed on 11/9 or 11/16, but some applicants from earlier interview dates were also accepted. Typically, if you have not previously approved a Certiphi background check, you will probably get an email from them before you get one from VCU (our email to you is relayed through PharmCAS is why there is a short delay). The email from VCU usually comes a day or so later. You should also be able to check your status on PharmCAS. If you have not received notice of acceptance or rejection from us, that means your application will remain under consideration. If you are currently enrolled in Fall 2013 classes, be sure to update your Fall grades with PharmCAS when you receive them and make sure any additional PCAT scores are sent to PharmCAS. We will resume interviews in January, holding 8 additional interview sessions in the Spring and continuing to accept students into the Class of 2018.

Those of you that have been conditionally accepted, please respond as quickly as possible to the requests from Certiphi (the first asking permission to initiate the background check and a second asking permission to release the background check after it is complete). The sooner you respond, the sooner the process will be completed and we can send you an official acceptance letter.

Thanks and have a Happy Holiday season.

Got my email too! Congrats to those who got in and good luck to those waiting!

Got my official offer letter/email today as well! My Certiphi was already completed since last month so the official offer was quick.

They say "submit payment 21 days within receipt of this offer". Is it 21 days of this official EMAIL offer, or 21 days from the letter in snail mail? Thanks!

Got my official offer letter/email today as well! My Certiphi was already completed since last month so the official offer was quick.

They say "submit payment 21 days within receipt of this offer". Is it 21 days of this official EMAIL offer, or 21 days from the letter in snail mail? Thanks!

Its 21 days after the offer via email came in i believe.

Is VCU still giving out interviews?
Per VCU Admissions latest post: "We will resume interviews in January, holding 8 additional interview sessions in the Spring and continuing to accept students into the Class of 2018."

i've just been accepted! under what circumstances can vcu rescind your offer of admission? i think i may end up getting a D in a biology (not pre-req) class this semester...:scared:

i've just been accepted! under what circumstances can vcu rescind your offer of admission? i think i may end up getting a D in a biology (not pre-req) class this semester...:scared:
Any reason they can think of really. Most likely it would be due to failure to complete all your prerequisites or something not so great appears on your background check at any point between now and the first day of classes.

Any reason they can think of really. Most likely it would be due to failure to complete all your prerequisites or something not so great appears on your background check at any point between now and the first day of classes.
What about if I got a D+ in a biology class this semester? It's my first ever D of any kind :((( maybe @VCUAdmissions could comment on this too?

What about if I got a D+ in a biology class this semester? It's my first ever D of any kind :((( maybe @VCUAdmissions could comment on this too?

We hope that you are able to pull out a C in your biology class, but if you don't, it's probably not the "end of the world". The Admissions Committee will no doubt re-review your application packet, but if this is your first D and it is in a non-prerequisite class and the rest of your application looks good, your acceptance will probably stand. Although multiple D and/or F grades could result in an acceptance offer being rescinded, as Rx Jezter has commented, the two main reasons for an acceptance to be rescinded are the non-completion of prerequisites and a problem with the Certiphi background check (either negative report or refusal to release results).

We hope that you are able to pull out a C in your biology class, but if you don't, it's probably not the "end of the world". The Admissions Committee will no doubt re-review your application packet, but if this is your first D and it is in a non-prerequisite class and the rest of your application looks good, your acceptance will probably stand. Although multiple D and/or F grades could result in an acceptance offer being rescinded, as Rx Jezter has commented, the two main reasons for an acceptance to be rescinded are the non-completion of prerequisites and a problem with the Certiphi background check (either negative report or refusal to release results).

To VCU Admissions.
My application was mailed back in October, and I did receive a notification confirming the school received it. I have not been offered an interview yet, but the supplemental materials area of pharmcas states I am missing all 3 of my LORS. Could this mean the school did not receive my LORS in my pharmcas application?

Last edited:
Please elaborate.

I am a current student here, last year when I got in I was so excited. I got into UNC Chapel Hill's program first, but after I visited the school and everyone was so nice and everything appeared new and shiny, I was set on going here. Someone warned me not to go here and said I was crazy for turning down chapel hill ( which is ranked higher). I ignored them and looking back I REALLLLY REGRET coming here. It was a huge mistake. I talked to a friend of mine at chapel hill and she tells me about how wonderful of a time she is having, and I along with many of my classmates are just miserable and fed up with the administration here. DONT COME HERE, if you have another option.

I understand what you mean. I attended UNC Chapel Hill for undergrad. Everyone is nice, everyone smiles at you, the sky is always blue...everything looks "new and shiny" like you said. It has a great pharmacy program indeed. However, VCU is also a good school. Just hang in there and make the absolute best of it. Oh..and don't put much thought into your friend saying she's having a wonderful time. There's not much to do in Chapel Hill besides Franklin Street. Good luck.

To VCU Admissions.
My application was mailed back in October, and I did receive a notification confirming the school received it. I have not been offered an interview yet, but the supplemental materials area of pharmcas states I am missing all 3 of my LORS. Could this mean the school did not receive my LORS in my pharmcas application?

It very well may mean that we did not receive your LORs. If you send an email to us ([email protected]) with your name and details, we can check on your application and see if LORs or anything else is missing.

Congrats to everyone who already got their acceptance!
Is there anyone interviewing on 2/01? :)

I received a phone call for an interview but it went to voicemail a couple of days ago. I called back and left a message but they haven't returned the call.

I received a phone call for an interview but it went to voicemail a couple of days ago. I called back and left a message but they haven't returned the call.
They are pretty good about returning your call! :) Good job on getting an interview!