VMCAS 2014 Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Contemplating on whether or not to do an explanation statement, and if so, what all to include. I was going to explain how I grew up with a single mom (who has suffered some health issues) , with no father, and that funds were tight. I have worked hard to put myself through college with no family assistance etc., but does saying you're poor look bad to schools?
Also, my grandfather on my fathers side is latino, I have always identified myself as white as I have never met that side, is that good or bad to put in? I know there are stereotypes sometimes.
I also suffered from a bit of test anxiety during orgo and it affected my grade (C), should I explain that?
I have read that anything you say can be used as evidence that you won't do well in vet school and I don't want my app to look negative at all. I don't want to look like I am making excuses, just that I have fought hard to get where I am.
So, should I do an explanation statement and if so, what should I include?
Thanks for any help!

I'd definitely talk about the family/financial situation you dealt with during college because it shows you were able to do well in extenuating circumstances. Not sure if I'd mention the C in orgo -- explaining your financial situation can subtly explain some of your lower grades, and adding the test anxiety in orgo thing might come across as whiny. I say this as someone who racked up a few horrific grades during a tough time in undergrad. I didn't bring those grades up in my explanation statement (although I did mention one of those classes was the reason I'm retaking physics right now...) since I didn't want adcoms to think that a bout of anxiety/loneliness/overwhelming stress would stop me from doing well in vet school. I'd probably refrain from mentioning the ethnicity thing too. Not because of stereotypes, but if you really just identify as white, go with that and be honest. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Contemplating on whether or not to do an explanation statement, and if so, what all to include. I was going to explain how I grew up with a single mom (who has suffered some health issues) , with no father, and that funds were tight. I have worked hard to put myself through college with no family assistance etc., but does saying you're poor look bad to schools?
Also, my grandfather on my fathers side is latino, I have always identified myself as white as I have never met that side, is that good or bad to put in? I know there are stereotypes sometimes.
I also suffered from a bit of test anxiety during orgo and it affected my grade (C), should I explain that?
I have read that anything you say can be used as evidence that you won't do well in vet school and I don't want my app to look negative at all. I don't want to look like I am making excuses, just that I have fought hard to get where I am.
Thanks for any help!

Have they changed the instructions for the explanation statement? Because I'm seeing more and more things that just seem really whacky to put in an explanation statement.

It should be clear if you need one based on the instructions.

Lots of people have difficult circumstances, and lots of us worked hard to put ourselves through college without family assistance. Why would you 'explain' that? You certainly could make that part of your Personal Statement, though.

You should not explain one C grade. Relax.

Can someone post the current instructions for the explanation statement? I just don't get why there are so many people talking about putting silly stuff in there. It seems like people are using it more and more as a Personal Statement Part II. It's silly.

Reactions: 1 user
Here are the current instructions for the explanation statement-

"Explanation Statement
While this section is NOT required, you can use it to record information that could not that could not be listed anywhere else within the web application, such as missing parental information, and disciplinary action(s) which require detailed explanation. This section can also be used to provide the admissions committee(s) additional information that you consider vital to your application. Your explanation statement should be clearly and succinctly written - 2000 characters (including spaces) have been allotted for this for this purpose.

Examples of pertinent information might include explanations about interruptions in your studies or experiences, unique circumstances you have faced, or reasons for decisions you have made."

After reading that, and seeing posts about what others have used the explanation statement for, I don't believe my questions, or the things I was talking about, to be "whacky" or "silly". For one, due to my circumstances, I have missing parental information and thought to explain it, as the instructions say. The instructions are also subjective, so I posted looking for help and opinions, hoping to hear more about what others have done.

Thanks for all the kind help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are the current instructions for the explanation statement-

"Explanation Statement
While this section is NOT required, you can use it to record information that could not that could not be listed anywhere else within the web application, such as missing parental information, and disciplinary action(s) which require detailed explanation. This section can also be used to provide the admissions committee(s) additional information that you consider vital to your application. Your explanation statement should be clearly and succinctly written - 2000 characters (including spaces) have been allotted for this for this purpose.

Examples of pertinent information might include explanations about interruptions in your studies or experiences, unique circumstances you have faced, or reasons for decisions you have made."

After reading that, and seeing posts about what others have used the explanation statement for, I don't believe my questions, or the things I was talking about, to be "whacky" or "silly". For one, due to my circumstances, I have missing parental information and thought to explain it, as the instructions say. The instructions are also subjective, so I posted looking for help and opinions, hoping to hear more about what others have done.

Thanks for all the kind help!

Explaining a single C grade is whacky and silly. Soz, but it just is.

The rest of it is more reasonable. I still wouldn't talk about how I had to work to put myself through school; if it's that important it should find a home in your personal statement. And if not ... then it's not 'vital to your application'. Missing parental info? Well sure - that's straight out of the instructions, so there's no need to ask.

Last edited:
I have to agree with LIS...

Explaining why you got one C is silly. I got one C and didn't say a word about it. It was one C among A's and B's... who cares?

And the missing parental information is in the directions to that section, so that is an easy answer.

The whole "having to work to get through school"... many, many people do this. All for different reasons. Sure, I could have listed out some sad, sob story for why I had to support myself through school but I know many people do this same thing. It really isn't that unique.

I honestly think kids SHOULD have to support themselves through school. You are 18, you are an adult, time to realize that the decisions you make come with a price tag. I get parents want to help their kids succeed but the whole thing of parents "owing" their kids a college education is just absurd to me. Let the kid take some responsibility and figure things out, if they really get in a bind and you have the ability to help, then help. They will also appreciate the help much more then, instead of parents just handing them what they need from the beginning. The complaints I heard from people in undergrad who didn't have to pay for it and didn't have to work their way through school were just... amazing.

The whole "having to work to get through school"... many, many people do this. All for different reasons. Sure, I could have listed out some sad, sob story for why I had to support myself through school but I know many people do this same thing. It really isn't that unique.

I honestly think kids SHOULD have to support themselves through school. You are 18, you are an adult, time to realize that the decisions you make come with a price tag.
I've been solely responsible for my undergrad education due to my parents having financial hardship and my own personal choice once they got on their feet. It's given me a better idea of the type of financial situation I'll have in vet school. I didn't put that in my PS or my explanation statement because it is what it is, and I'm not special for it.

I also put myself through school. I have numerous loans, but I worked my but off to collect as many scholarships as I could. I didn't mention this at all in my PS or my explanation statement, because I feel that a lot of us go through it. Most people don't have the luxury of graduating from college debt free, but I personally feel that if you pay for it then you appreciate it more anyway.

We should all feel good about doing it ourselves, but it is more of a personal accomplishment than one to highlight and brag about.

I also put myself through school. I have numerous loans, but I worked my but off to collect as many scholarships as I could. I didn't mention this at all in my PS or my explanation statement, because I feel that a lot of us go through it. Most people don't have the luxury of graduating from college debt free, but I personally feel that if you pay for it then you appreciate it more anyway.

We should all feel good about doing it ourselves, but it is more of a personal accomplishment than one to highlight and brag about.

I'm not saying anyone couldn't, or shouldn't, talk about their overall life issues. I just think the Explanation statement is .... I dunno. I always viewed it more for exceptional/unusual issues. That's the way I read the instructions, but they are open for interpretation. I wouldn't "explain" something like one C grade because that just makes you look so high strung the school is going to be like "Yikes. This person needs to take some time off and spend it in a zen garden. I mean, woah. Next they're going to be explaining why they couldn't turn their app in until only ONE month before the deadline instead of TWO." It's hardly exceptional or unusual to get a C.

But hey, everybody's application is unique. If you (not you specifically, Haley.... the broader You) come on to SDN and get some advice you don't like, there's two ways to take it. The first is to step back and say "maybe these peeps have a broader perspective and I should take that seriously." The other is to remember that it's YOUR application: and if you find yourself getting really worked up at the idea of leaving something out that you wanted to put in, but a bunch of us said "eh, I wouldn't" ... then maybe that's your way of recognizing how important it is to you - in which case you should include it, because otherwise you're just going to feel like you left something out.

In the end, your application has to include what you feel is vital to telling your story.

Thanks for all the opinions. It is helpful to know what others have done and/or think.

I wasn't actually looking to explain one C grade but wondering if I should talk about the test anxiety I experienced, if that is what the explanation statement was for, mentioning the C grade was just one example of the consequences of having major test anxiety.

While I know that a lot of people put themselves through college and have faced challenges, I do think it makes a different applicant than one who has not had to do so.

As I said, to me, the instructions are subjective and it is helpful to have input on what to use it for.

Thanks again!

I wasn't actually looking to explain one C grade but wondering if I should talk about the test anxiety I experienced, if that is what the explanation statement was for, mentioning the C grade was just one example of the consequences of having major test anxiety.

While I know that a lot of people put themselves through college and have faced challenges, I do think it makes a different applicant than one who has not had to do so.
Even if you don't intend, explaining test anxiety and using that as an example makes it appear as though you are making an excuse for one c grade.

As for the other yes it might make you a different applicant but my guess is that the number of people who graduate undergrad without debt is the minority. And therefore makes it not worth mentioning. Sometimes it can come across as bragging even though you are bring sincere.

Is it appropriate for me to include in my explanation statement that I have ADD? I've never received any special accommodations like extra testing time and it's not registered with the Student Disability Services office, but I've still had it throughout college and when I was diagnosed in high school. I wasn't planning on including it to try to explain a bad grade or anything, and my grades actually are pretty decent. I was going to say something along the lines of "Yes, I've had ADD throughout college; it can make it harder to stay on top of things in school sometimes, etc. but I've developed study strategies that help me overcome the extra difficulty in school, such as never getting behind in my work and staying organized by planning out my days and detailing which hours I'm going to be studying each subject…" and some other stuff maybe. I don't want schools to think I'm asking for pity or special consideration or anything, but it is something I've struggled with in college so I didn't know if I should include it here.

Also, I switched to pre-vet my sophomore year after being a pharmacy major, so my experience hours are really low, but I'm going to be adding to them this whole semester and broadening my experience. If I explained some of that in my personal statement, I don't need to include it in the explanation statement, right?

Also, I switched to pre-vet my sophomore year after being a pharmacy major, so my experience hours are really low, but I'm going to be adding to them this whole semester and broadening my experience. If I explained some of that in my personal statement, I don't need to include it in the explanation statement, right?
Not sure about your first question, but no, you don't need to repeat things from your PS in your explanation statement. Also if you got any shadowing/volunteer experience while you were pre-pharmacy, I would include that in your experiences section if you haven't already (probably under community activities). I would think vet schools would like to see that considering vets both act as animal pharmacists, and often have to deal with human pharmacies.

Is it appropriate for me to include in my explanation statement that I have ADD? I've never received any special accommodations like extra testing time and it's not registered with the Student Disability Services office, but I've still had it throughout college and when I was diagnosed in high school. I wasn't planning on including it to try to explain a bad grade or anything, and my grades actually are pretty decent. I was going to say something along the lines of "Yes, I've had ADD throughout college; it can make it harder to stay on top of things in school sometimes, etc. but I've developed study strategies that help me overcome the extra difficulty in school, such as never getting behind in my work and staying organized by planning out my days and detailing which hours I'm going to be studying each subject…" and some other stuff maybe.

To me that sounds like PS material. But it sounds like more and more people are dumping all sorts of 'catch all the odds n ends' stuff into an Explanation statement, so maybe I'm just outdated. *shrug*

I don't think it would be bad to bring it up in your PS. It's been a challenge that you can say you've successfully managed. That's a good thing for them to be able to see/assess. I'd stay a long ways away from even hinting at using it as an excuse for anything (which also is why I'd leave it out of an Explanation statement).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for any help!
Another comment on the financial situation: Funds are tight for EVERYONE. During an admissions appointment, I asked whether or not the fact I worked two jobs/30-40 hours a week while completing a full credit load would do me any favors if I listed it on my application. I got a smirk and a "No." It is not a unique situation, and vet schools do not seek out students who struggled financially through college. Not to say they avoid them, but they do not prefer them by any means. My admissions counselor made it seem that if you took 1-2 prereqs a semester and worked several jobs (had kids, etc etc) then you MIGHT get some attention there. But that's only one school.

Test anxiety: Since you make it seem like your worst grade is one C, I wouldn't say you have test anxiety. Everyone gets nervous for tests, and I understand the extra stress you got during orgo. If you regularly needed special arrangements to cope with said "test anxiety," I'd say consider talking about it on your application. Otherwise, if you say "Oh, my C is just because I was nervous during this class" I think you'll get some eye-rolls. IMO, legit 'test anxiety' is so severe that you are physically ill before/during an exam. I don't have much tolerance for someone saying they have 'test anxiety,' so my apologies if that is offensive. I'm sure plenty of people disagree. But if you are nervous before an exam, you are just like everyone else. That's not something to explain.

Latino: Depends....I guess. Schools value diversity, but I cannot suggest you try to use that part of your heritage as an app-booster if you don't even identify as Latino. Just seems wrong to me. Even so, there is another spot on your application where you could identify yourself in that respect, so I don't see why you'd do in in either statements.

Usually, explanation statements are there to say "This happened, but look at what I did to improve myself." Or something. For my first application, I wrote an ES about how my father was in the hospital long-term for something serious. I was driving from school to home and back multiple times a week (and losing study time, while still having to maintain my work schedule so I could pay rent). I mentioned that and pointed out that that particular semester, my grades were not horrible, but the lowest I've ever had. And then I showed that my later semesters were great. All of my feedback on it was neutral, so I didn't bother with it this year.

I think ES's are more important if you have a legal record to explain or something along those lines.

I have already decided not to do an explanation statement and am about done with my application. Which I must say is a huge relief! Now I just have to narrow down which schools I am applying to.

Test anxiety, for those of us who experience it, is not just nerves before a test, it does involve much more than that, as you said. My fault, when I phrased it "a bit" of test anxiety, it did make light of the actual situation I experienced. It did affect more than one grade. The "a bit" was more in reference to time frame, as I had a bad year with it. Thankfully, with help from my school, I have learned to deal with it in a much better way.

I also didn't explain it well, or in detail, when I first posted, but my situation was not just that funds were tight. But as I said, I am not going to use the explanation statement at all, so it doesn't matter.

Another question-I was just curious, when schools see your application, how does it look? Do they see it the way we do or is it formatted entirely different? Is there a way to see it exactly as they will?

Thanks!

I have already decided not to do an explanation statement and am about done with my application. Which I must say is a huge relief! Now I just have to narrow down which schools I am applying to.

Test anxiety, for those of us who experience it, is not just nerves before a test, it does involve much more than that, as you said. My fault, when I phrased it "a bit" of test anxiety, it did make light of the actual situation I experienced. It did affect more than one grade. The "a bit" was more in reference to time frame, as I had a bad year with it. Thankfully, with help from my school, I have learned to deal with it in a much better way.

I also didn't explain it well, or in detail, when I first posted, but my situation was not just that funds were tight. But as I said, I am not going to use the explanation statement at all, so it doesn't matter.

Another question-I was just curious, when schools see your application, how does it look? Do they see it the way we do or is it formatted entirely different? Is there a way to see it exactly as they will?

Thanks!
It's difficult to give advice if the situation isn't fully explained, but then you run into deciding if you want to talk about personal situations on here.

Essay-wise, they receive it in the format that we enter it in (ideally). Last year, although it appeared perfect on my end, my PS got all kinds of jumbled when it went to the schools. Only one of my file reviews mentioned it, and they said my punctuation turned into question marks and that my paragraphs were lost. It was well written, so they were still able to follow it. And that's WITH me typing it into notepad and copy/pasting. I talked to VMCAS about it, and they said I did everything how I was supposed to so...yeah. It even looked fine on the PDF I saved after I submitted. As for the rest of the app, idk how they receive it. That's a good question, but I imagine they receive a hard-copy of the PDF we can save.

As for the rest of the app, idk how they receive it. That's a good question, but I imagine they receive a hard-copy of the PDF we can save.

That's terrible about your PS!

I called VMCAS about this and was told that schools receive a different version than we see in the PDF version we can save. I called because my experiences were listed all out of chronological order on the PDF of my application even though they were perfectly ordered when I entered in them into VMCAS. They said it was some type of a glitch and not to worry because the schools received something different and it would all be in order for them.

That's terrible about your PS!

I called VMCAS about this and was told that schools receive a different version than we see in the PDF version we can save. I called because my experiences were listed all out of chronological order on the PDF of my application even though they were perfectly ordered when I entered in them into VMCAS. They said it was some type of a glitch and not to worry because the schools received something different and it would all be in order for them.

Just yet another thing about VMCAS that's always bugged me. We pay them a lot of money and just have to "trust" that what we put in is what the schools get - there's no transparency that allows us to have confidence in the process. I see no reason candidates shouldn't have access to see it in exactly the form a school gets it so that you would have a chance to catch and correct errors. It's too expensive a process to just 'hope' it goes well.

Reactions: 4 users
Just yet another thing about VMCAS that's always bugged me. We pay them a lot of money and just have to "trust" that what we put in is what the schools get - there's no transparency that allows us to have confidence in the process. I see no reason candidates shouldn't have access to see it in exactly the form a school gets it so that you would have a chance to catch and correct errors. It's too expensive a process to just 'hope' it goes well.
Yeah....I was a little more than annoyed at the fact that even though I was METICULOUS in proofreading every single thing I put into VMCAS, something went wrong on their end and the schools got a version of my PS that made it look like I didn't put in time to make sure it would look good.

The best part is that the school that called me out on it said "How did it look on the PDF version after you submitted?" "It looked as I intended it to look." "Oh. Sometimes that happens. We've mentioned it to the service before."

o_O

So one of my letter writers just bailed at the last minute. I have backup letters, so that's not a huge deal, but since the majority of my vet experience was with her and I mentioned my work with her in my personal statement I'm a bit worried now that it will look odd not to have a letter from her as one of my five (especially since this leaves me with only one letter from a vet). Should I address it in my explanation statement or just let it go and hope it doesn't look as weird to adcoms as it does to me? This is so frustrating.

So one of my letter writers just bailed at the last minute. I have backup letters, so that's not a huge deal, but since the majority of my vet experience was with her and I mentioned my work with her in my personal statement I'm a bit worried now that it will look odd not to have a letter from her as one of my five (especially since this leaves me with only one letter from a vet). Should I address it in my explanation statement or just let it go and hope it doesn't look as weird to adcoms as it does to me? This is so frustrating.

Tough call.

My initial take on it is that bringing it up is more likely to raise a red flag than not bringing it up. It seems odd from YOUR perspective because you know and were expecting a letter from her. But from the adcom perspective... they don't. It might occur to them to wonder why you didn't get an eLOR from that person - but probably not. And even if so, they'd just shrug. Especially if the rest of your letters (esp the vet one) are super strong.

If you do decide to put something in the Explanation Statement, I'd be very, very careful to make sure it's not eyebrow-raising. Have at least three or four honest, blunt people read it and tell you what their gut reaction is (i.e. not people who are just great cheerleaders for you).

Sorry this is kind of a repeat question here - I read through the whole forum and I'm still a little confused/nervous. It's now been 3 weeks since I submitted my VMCAS app. I know their page says it can take up to 4 weeks to verify, which would be the 1st. What happens if VMCAS takes more than 4 weeks and they don't verify it before October 2nd? Is that the deadline for submission or for verification?

Sorry this is kind of a repeat question here - I read through the whole forum and I'm still a little confused/nervous. It's now been 3 weeks since I submitted my VMCAS app. I know their page says it can take up to 4 weeks to verify, which would be the 1st. What happens if VMCAS takes more than 4 weeks and they don't verify it before October 2nd? Is that the deadline for submission or for verification?
October 2nd is deadline for submission, not verification.

Well hey, if you want a trade, hmu
Mine is not currently in a state where it should see the light of day. It's complete, in that I have an entire draft that hits on all the points I want, but it's not in good shape other than that.

Mine is not currently in a state where it should see the light of day. It's complete, in that I have an entire draft that hits on all the points I want, but it's not in good shape other than that.
Gotcha. Well I'm on standby nonetheless for PS editing, as well as a couple other people floating around SDN.

If the 2nd were the deadline for verification I would be so screwed right now lol
Saaaaame. Although last year I submitted on the 28th and was verified on the 3rd. I would think they'd be even faster at things this year since last year was the first time they did verification, but maybe not? :shrug:

I was wondering...I asked for 4 LORs, 3 have been submitted and I am still waiting on one. I have a feeling my 4th one isn't going to fill it out. I think she has been super busy which is understandable. My question is will schools see that I requested her and she didn't fill it out or once the deadline has passed does she get deleted from my application? Should I delete her before I submit? Thank you!

Also, sorry if this has been answered. I skimmed the responses but couldn't find one. Thank you!

Saaaaame. Although last year I submitted on the 28th and was verified on the 3rd. I would think they'd be even faster at things this year since last year was the first time they did verification, but maybe not? :shrug:
I'm now on day 22, not that I'm counting or nervous about it or anything.

Verification does not have to occur before the deadline. All docs however, submitted app, all transcripts and evaluate must be in before the deadline.

Last edited:
Also, to answer another question. It's taking us longer to verify because more students are submitting late this year compared to last year. This is why we recommend the SET of sept. 2nd. You'll be fine if you get everything in before October 2 at 1 pm eastern. Hang in there.

Verification dies not have to occur before the deadline. All docs however, submitted app, all transcripts and evaluate must be in before the deadline.
Thank you! All of my materials are in so I feel a little better now.

What happens if you're evaluators don't get in their recommendation by the 2nd? Can it be a few days late? I've reminded mine once a week since August and she assures me she'll do it, but I'm worried. I have 2/3 in, but this last one is giving me anxiety.

What happens if you're evaluators don't get in their recommendation by the 2nd? Can it be a few days late? I've reminded mine once a week since August and she assures me she'll do it, but I'm worried. I have 2/3 in, but this last one is giving me anxiety.
I think the deadline of the 2nd is pretty strict. Unless there are some major extenuating circumstances, if you don't have all your materials in by the 2nd (including at least 3 evaluations), VMCAS won't verify your app, so schools won't receive your information or consider you. None of my evaluators have submitted yet, so I know it's stressful, but there is still a week to go. If she still hasn't submitted it by Tuesday/Wednesday, I would start really pressuring her and stressing how important it is to you that she submits on time (and don't forget to remind her the deadline is 1pm Eastern, not midnight!). You could also see if someone else would be willing to write you a recommendation last minute, so you have a backup if she does flake. Although I too am curious if schools can see if you listed someone as an evaluator but they didn't submit. And if so, would they judge you negatively for it? @VMCASSTAFF

If you do not have 3 letters submitted in VMCAS by the due date and time, your application is incomplete. You have to have it all in.

Also, to answer another question. It's taking us longer to verify because more students are submitting late this year compared to last year. This is why we recommend the SET of sept. 2nd. You'll be fine if you get everything in before October 2 at 1 pm eastern. Hang in there.
That's interesting, but I think there's an obvious explanation. A lot of the wording last year made it sound like if you didn't get verified by October 2nd, you were out of luck, which has since been clarified to not be the case. I appreciate that the wording this year is less scary and makes it clear that the early deadline was just a recommendation, but considering that (at least to my understanding) the only real benefit to submitting early is to make it easier on your end, obviously a lot of people are going to take more of the time they have available to perfect their app.

Someone suggested in another thread offering lower fees to people who submit earlier, which I think is a great idea. If lowering fees isn't feasible, maybe make the current fee breakdown the low end of the scale? I think being able to pay maybe $50 or even $20 less per school by submitting early would be a big motivating factor for a lot of people.

Reactions: 4 users
I would have turned in my application in a lot sooner if it was cheaper to turn it in earlier. I haven't submitted yet cause I'm simply lazy and play too many videogames.

Reactions: 3 users
Realistically, schools hold the applicant responsible for elors because it's part of your requirements. That said, some schools *might* work with applicants on late elors, but no promises there. The fee idea is interesting. I will bring that to the enhancement committee.

Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering...I asked for 4 LORs, 3 have been submitted and I am still waiting on one. I have a feeling my 4th one isn't going to fill it out. I think she has been super busy which is understandable. My question is will schools see that I requested her and she didn't fill it out or once the deadline has passed does she get deleted from my application? Should I delete her before I submit? Thank you!

@VMCAS hey so I don't believe this question was answered so I am re-asking it. I am ready to submit I just didn't want to before this was answered since I can't make changes. The question is above. Any help is appreciated. Thank you so much.

You Have The Ability To Zap The request, But The Evaluator WILL Get A Message That You've Done so. If it's not filling a requirement, leave it alone. The schools won't care as long as your elor requirements are met.

If I were you, I'd let her know that her letter is the last thing you need on your application, and without it you do not qualify for consideration by any schools (at least I'm fairly certain all schools require a minimum of three letters). We have 6 days left now, so you have every right to pester a little bit IMO.

Your application will be incomplete without a minimum 3 evals. Many schools will not review incomplete apps, but some do. Again, find out the requirements for the schools you're applying to.