Vmrcm c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yay, doubling my debt in a single year! :thumbup:

Registered for courses as well. =) So exciting!! :love:

What do you guys take first year??

We don't find out our financial aid until June...not that I really want to see it before then. Haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Vet Anatomy
Vet Physiology
Medical Biochem
Vet Histology
Vet Immunology
Vet Ethology
Professional foundation of Vet med
Vet Large Animal Husbandry

All with the roman numeral I after them of course lol

Then either an option of Embryology or Animal Domestication or both.

I just registered for classes too! 20 credits of 8000 level courses. Casual fall semester. :rolleyes:

But honestly, I'm so excited to get the opportunity to go.

Also, for those wondering I just got my rabies vaccine at Shiffert and it's $214 a vial there. That was actually the cheapest I could find it and it's really convenient. Plus, we have to get boosters every 2 years and they know what type you need if you get it here.

I hope everyone is as excited as I am and have a good end of your school year. (for those of you still taking classes!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! So does anyone know of a place up in the Washington DC area that does Rabies vaccines and takes insurance? I called my insurance company and they will cover it, but I need to find a provider that has the vaccine and will take insurance. I contacted my health department and they will do the vaccine for slightly more than the student health center at VT, but unfortunately they don't take insurance so I would have to pay it anyway:/. This is so frustrating. I asked my family practice and they can't order the vaccine which really stinks. If only I could just find somewhere that will take my insurance and has the vaccine! Any suggestions appreciated :)

I registered for classes this weekend...gulp. Excited, but man that's a lot of higher level credits :)

Hey! So does anyone know of a place up in the Washington DC area that does Rabies vaccines and takes insurance? I called my insurance company and they will cover it, but I need to find a provider that has the vaccine and will take insurance. I contacted my health department and they will do the vaccine for slightly more than the student health center at VT, but unfortunately they don't take insurance so I would have to pay it anyway:/. This is so frustrating. I asked my family practice and they can't order the vaccine which really stinks. If only I could just find somewhere that will take my insurance and has the vaccine! Any suggestions appreciated :)

I registered for classes this weekend...gulp. Excited, but man that's a lot of higher level credits :)

I'm from the same area and have called around to no avail. Then I called the health department down here in Blacksburg and left at least 2 voicemail messages that no one has returned. I almost feel lucky I was bit by a feral cat and received post-exposure shots 5 years ago, because I would have been paying the $600-$800 out-of-pocket back then. Now I need a booster and no one with my insurance offers it.

Washington county health department is like an hour from D.C they took my insurance. You can call them and ask if your willing to drive the hour.

Has anyone went and looked at apartments yet? Just wondering about some recommendations... Is there waiting lists for most of the apartments?

Has anyone went and looked at apartments yet? Just wondering about some recommendations... Is there waiting lists for most of the apartments?

The poor people around me are going to get so sick of this schpiel, but here I go. ;)

I live in the Windsor Hills community and I highly recommend it. It's about a 10 minute drive from the vet school (15 tops). They're beautiful apartments, incredibly well-priced (I pay $330/mo for my share of a 3 bedroom), and the community is fantastic. They don't allow partying so it's quiet; they have community events (pool parties, murder mystery dinners, cookouts, etc) all the time; their gym facility is open 24/7; the Blacksburg Transit runs there regularly and there are 2 bus stops on the property; there are bike racks, dumpsters, and a recycling center on the grounds; and they're constantly renovating and making the place beautiful, in a completely non-annoying way. Not that it's not already stunning - its backdrop is a beautiful view of the gorgeous Appalachian mountains!

But the best part is how crazy pet-friendly they are, which I know is important to vet students. ;) There's a dog park on the premises and they host regular "Yappy Hours" for their four-footed tenants-along with opening the pool up for a doggy pool party at the end of the summer! No size/weight/breed restrictions, and the ladies in the office have told me vet students don't have to pay monthly pet fees.

They also allow you to paint your walls, as long as you paint them back to their original color before your lease is up, if this matters to anyone. ;)

Hope this helps!

ETA - regarding wait lists, that shouldn't be a problem this early in the game. Leases start filling up near the end of May, although I've never heard of anyone who wasn't able to get a spot in the place they wanted.

so i am a maryland resident now, and was admitted as a maryland resident.
the issue is that i live by myself (my parents are in NY) and when i move to blacksburg for school, i will no longer have the maryland address. has anyone else dealt with this situation? is it hard to establish VA residency? do you continue to pay in-state tuition even if you switch from MD to VA?

so i am a maryland resident now, and was admitted as a maryland resident.
the issue is that i live by myself (my parents are in NY) and when i move to blacksburg for school, i will no longer have the maryland address. has anyone else dealt with this situation? is it hard to establish VA residency? do you continue to pay in-state tuition even if you switch from MD to VA?

It's whatever residency you were when you applied/were accepted. Even if you change it, it doesn't matter. And why would it matter if you changed from MD to VA - they're both in state.
Technically I'm a VA resident now, but nothing has changed. I don't use my MD address for anything and have a VA driver's license and pay VA taxes.

Is anyone living in Christiansburg? I think that is where I am living.

I should be getting a lease tomorrow on a place in Blacksburg off Prices Fork Rd:)
If anyone is going to be in Blacksburg area in early August, we should meet up. I'll be there around the 1st and won't have anything to do until orientation-and hopefully my husband will have a job to go by then...

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be moving there around the beginning of August as well. I am definitely up for hanging out!!

My lease kicks in August 1st but I won't be in town until the 19th. Cutting it close, I know. :laugh:

My fiance and I are getting married the 13th, so we're spending the week in between celebrating. :D

My lease kicks in August 1st but I won't be in town until the 19th. Cutting it close, I know. :laugh:

My fiance and I are getting married the 13th, so we're spending the week in between celebrating. :D
Oh wow! Congrats!!! Big couple of weeks you'll be having-getting married and starting vet school.

CONGRATS! :D I'm surprised by how many married people there are in our class...I thought I was going to be the only one!

Oh wow! Congrats!!! Big couple of weeks you'll be having-getting married and starting vet school.

Thanks very much. :D I'm super excited!

CONGRATS! :D I'm surprised by how many married people there are in our class...I thought I was going to be the only one!

Haha tell me about it; I feel like every month more of my friends get engaged/married.

I've been sniffing out the other married couples though, because I imagine he'll want the support network from other people who also never see their slave-to-school spouses.

I've been sniffing out the other married couples though, because I imagine he'll want the support network from other people who also never see their slave-to-school spouses.

I'm married as well. We need to organize a spouse meet up for sure. They'll definitely need to commiserate with one another while we're practically living at school;)

Ya'll are making me feel old and single!!! I haven't found a guy who is willing to move where I move...Ya'll are very lucky.

Ya'll are making me feel old and single!!! I haven't found a guy who is willing to move where I move...Ya'll are very lucky.

Nothing wrong with going into a stressful school situation single! I'm embracing the freedom at the moment. The less drama going into this the better. (I just got out of a really rough year and a half relationship... I'm not bitter *cough*) :rolleyes:

For those of you still looking for places there are still spots open at a ton of the complexes so you shouldn't have trouble finding some where to live. I'm living in Cedarfield. It's mostly grad students/VCOM/VMRCVM students so it stays fairly tame. If your looking for another really nice - grad student friendly complex Knollwood is REALLY nice and only about 3 miles from the Vet School. A tad pricey but beautiful and they allow pets. If you're a married couple this might be a nice place to look.

Has anyone asked or looked up the computer requirements yet? I'm starting the hunt. My current undergrad laptop has been trying to commit suicide during finals week. We're not friends at the moment. And I can bring up the ever continuing Mac vs PC debate. Any current VT students have advice?

Thanks! :)

Has anyone asked or looked up the computer requirements yet? I'm starting the hunt. My current undergrad laptop has been trying to commit suicide during finals week. We're not friends at the moment. And I can bring up the ever continuing Mac vs PC debate. Any current VT students have advice?

Without getting into a Mac vs. PC debate, get something that is fairly sturdy. The first-year desks are small and you'll probably drop your laptop at one point in time. Aluminum macbook pros, or business-class HP, Dell, & Lenovos are good bets. I spilled coffee on my laptop (still works, but not perfectly) and wish I had one of those keyboard covers or a spill-proof keyboard (like thinkpads have). Don't get an ultrabook or netbook, because you'll regret the lack of power when you're trying to look at 3-4 powerpoints, a pdf, and a Word document while cramming for your exam and your laptop starts feeling like it's running on nuclear fuel (i.e. hot!).

I'm planning on ordering a newer computer from Dell Outlet this summer and getting an E6220 because it satisfies my needs at less than $800 with a 3yr warranty. My current Lenovo laptop came with one of those ULV Intel processors that's supposed to save battery life, but it doesn't really last more than an hour and it's not powerful enough for really good multi-tasking, even with maxed out RAM.

Basically, don't cheap out, but there are good deals under $1K. Just my $0.02.

Is anyone living in Christiansburg? I think that is where I am living.

Hi, I live here in C'burg and I love it. It's nice and quiet. I live on one of the houses on Main St. I found it through Craigslist. Nice and quiet!

Fidils
VMRCVM c/o 2015:)

There are a bunch of married people in our class, including about half of the 14 guys! (grin)

And whoever yoos out there complaining about your age - I'm a 38-yr old first year (so no whining!

Fidils
VMRCVM c/o 2015

A note of advice to all you incoming first years (and Congrats!!!)
IF you have not taken a good Biochemistry course before coming - buy the Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry book, and go to http://faculty.une.edu/com/courses/bionut/distbio/distbiohome.html and begin. It's what saved my butt from the fryer that semester. Oh, and learn about Parasites. That's this semester's killer!
Slan!
Fidils
VMRCVM c/o 2015

38 wow!! Okay I don't feel so old anymore...ducks avoiding the head smack. :xf:;).... Do you have some words of wisdom for the older out of practice students.

Aluminum macbook pros, or business-class HP, Dell, & Lenovos are good bets.

I'm a pretty good computer owner (I reformat my drives on an annual basis, keep an eye on core temps and general performance when I know I'm taxing my computer, defrag and keep everything updated, etc.), but HPs are just not the best made computers in the world. My first one died after a year, and even then it lasted longer than my roommate's (which was shipped without a MAC address and therefore useless for most things a computer shouldn't be useless for). I replaced it with another HP because I'm a glutton for punishment, which, in the two years I've owned it, has suffered tremendously under program loads that it should not be suffering under considering its RAM and CPU capabilities.

Plus HP is exiting the laptop market so those of us who own HPs now are about to lose our customer service.

So if you're buying a new computer, I'd recommend staying away from HP. ;)

I'm a pretty good computer owner (I reformat my drives on an annual basis, keep an eye on core temps and general performance when I know I'm taxing my computer, defrag and keep everything updated, etc.), but HPs are just not the best made computers in the world. My first one died after a year, and even then it lasted longer than my roommate's (which was shipped without a MAC address and therefore useless for most things a computer shouldn't be useless for). I replaced it with another HP because I'm a glutton for punishment, which, in the two years I've owned it, has suffered tremendously under program loads that it should not be suffering under considering its RAM and CPU capabilities.

Plus HP is exiting the laptop market so those of us who own HPs now are about to lose our customer service.

Honestly, I don't have much experience with the brand, but I know people in my class with the Elitebooks/Probooks and the convertible tablets that are pretty happy. I'd never buy the ones from Best Buy though. Did you have an Elitebook or Probook?

Off the computer topic but....

Has anyone seen the new classrooms, etc. they are building? I couldn't go to the open house this year, but drive past the contruction every day. Have they really upgraded the classrooms? Last I saw they were a bit like a dungeon with minimal technology, but that would have been at least 3 years ago. I know it sounds silly, but I'm very excited about the face lift the school is getting. :)

does anyone know of any scholarships we can apply for?

i know some of my pre-med friends received scholarship offers just based on need/merit when they received their med school financial aid packages. is there no way this would happen for us? all i see on the financial aid package is my loan offer....

I think it depends on what quality of HP you get. I got an HDX16 (custom built online) when I got to undergrad and its still going strong. Also I DO NOT take the best care of my laptop. It has been dropped before and I'm not always the beat at getting updates. So maybe you get what you pay for? Or I'm sure there are always some lemons. I play games on it and do engineering programming/designing and really have had no issues other than I could use a bigger battery.

But you are completely fair in pointing out them leaving the laptop biz. Customer support is good and important to have.

Off the computer topic but....

Has anyone seen the new classrooms, etc. they are building? I couldn't go to the open house this year, but drive past the contruction every day. Have they really upgraded the classrooms? Last I saw they were a bit like a dungeon with minimal technology, but that would have been at least 3 years ago. I know it sounds silly, but I'm very excited about the face lift the school is getting. :)

The first year lecture classroom has already been updated. It's like amphitheater/movie seating with a desk that folds up and down. Very comfy, very easy to fall asleep, but not much work space.

The second and third year classrooms are being updated this summer.

As far as the labs and such, I don't think those are done yet, but it looks like by Fall they will be.

Zoovet, as far as scholarships, you will get an e-mail with all the scholarships you can apply for and what date they are due by. I think they were due Oct/Nov. There are some scholarships you may get without applying for. I got a scholarship for being a Maryland Higher Education student, but that didn't show up until mid-way through first semester so I was totally (pleasantly) surprised.

I am kinda annoyed about the lap desks. I prefer to have a lot of space on a desk to take notes etc. Auburn just built all new classrooms to accommodate 120 students with nice new rolling chairs and lots of desk space....sniffles.

Did you have an Elitebook or Probook?

No, I stuck with Pavilions; the first was a "special edition" (special indeed) with a pricetag to reflect it, the second one was a tad cheaper. Come to think of it though, my roommate's was also a Pavilion. Maybe it's just not their best line of computers.

does anyone know of any scholarships we can apply for?

I believe our c/o 2016 checklist mentions getting scholarship information closer to August.

I prefer to have a lot of space on a desk to take notes etc. Auburn just built all new classrooms to accommodate 120 students with nice new rolling chairs and lots of desk space....sniffles.

Ditto. I like the way the 2nd and 3rd year classrooms are set up, with those long desks and the swivel chairs. Although the 1st year room isn't as bad as I was anticipating; it's clean and carpeted (which makes it look so much better, imo ;D ), and there's a lot more footspace than I was expecting. And if we're going to be in class for hours on end footspace for stretching out in will definitely be helpful. ;)

\
Zoovet, as far as scholarships, you will get an e-mail with all the scholarships you can apply for and what date they are due by. I think they were due Oct/Nov. There are some scholarships you may get without applying for. I got a scholarship for being a Maryland Higher Education student, but that didn't show up until mid-way through first semester so I was totally (pleasantly) surprised.

hmmm... did all the Maryland residents get that scholarship? if so, that would be AWESOME. and was it a one-time sum or did you get it each year? i assume that once i change from maryland to VA resident, i'd lose it? :(
are the scholarships very competitive? i just think it's strange that all of my med school friends are getting scholarship offers with their acceptances... :confused:

hmmm... did all the Maryland residents get that scholarship? if so, that would be AWESOME. and was it a one-time sum or did you get it each year? i assume that once i change from maryland to VA resident, i'd lose it? :(
are the scholarships very competitive? i just think it's strange that all of my med school friends are getting scholarship offers with their acceptances... :confused:

I really don't know if all the MD students got it, I know of at least a few in my year that did. It was only a small chunk, but pretty much covered rabies vax so that was nice. I believe it was only a 1st year thing, or they have since gotten rid of it.

The scholarships are pretty competitive, but most are within the school itself so you've got a max of ~400 people applying. Which is better odds than some of the scholarships out there!
Most of the scholarships range from $250-2000. And looking back, they were due the beginning of September.

Ditto. I like the way the 2nd and 3rd year classrooms are set up, with those long desks and the swivel chairs. Although the 1st year room isn't as bad as I was anticipating; it's clean and carpeted (which makes it look so much better, imo ;D ), and there's a lot more footspace than I was expecting. And if we're going to be in class for hours on end footspace for stretching out in will definitely be helpful. ;)

Hey, y'all get your own lounge too :thumbup: 2nd and 3rd years only have the Commons (blargh).

So I realize that this may sound completely stupid, but I'm going to ask anyway: What exactly is the computer requirement about? I'm a pretty old fashioned student, taking notes by hand, in pencil (an actual wooden one-gasp), on paper. I print out slides for classes, keep them in binders and take notes on them during lecture. I only use my computer for internet access and word processing. Is there some huge component of vet school that requires a new laptop? Or is this all about the students who are very technology oriented, taking notes on their computers etc...
Please help a tech dinosaur out if you can;)

True story. The cubbies and the minifridge do make me excited (to an embarrassing extent). :D
Me too! And the coffee maker! I was told during my tour that it was dirty but I'll clean that sucker out and use it daily-I'm very addicted to coffee and I imagine vet school will only make it worse.

Me too! And the coffee maker! I was told during my tour that it was dirty but I'll clean that sucker out and use it daily-I'm very addicted to coffee and I imagine vet school will only make it worse.

:thumbup::thumbup: You and me both. We'll take care of the coffee machine. ;)

Hey guys, I feel like we haven't chatted in a while. :D

Hi:) It might be just you, me and Audrey007 on here anymore....

Slackers!!! I love reading the forum...there is some funny sh#t on here. Are yall on in the facebook group...I knows its easy to figure out who I am, but I don't know who ya'll are...:p

Oh and does anyone know anything about this international travel...something about traveling to Italy or India????? :confused:

Slackers!!! I love reading the forum...there is some funny sh#t on here. Are yall on in the facebook group...I knows its easy to figure out who I am, but I don't know who ya'll are...:p
I'm not on Facebook at all, so the secret of my identity is safe until August ;)

I'm on there, and we've chatted in the group. But I guess you'll just have to figure me out. ;D