Vmrcm c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi friends! I just got back from moving into my new apartment in Blacksburg. I LOVE it. SO much nicer than my old place and my dog seems happier too. Does everyone know where they are living yet? I'm in Cedarfield (for those previous hokies it's on south main inbetween fancy kroger and the CRC).

A little over 2 months til we all get to meet! Looking forward to it :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on there, and we've chatted in the group. But I guess you'll just have to figure me out. ;D

Both of you...Evil!!!!! :p:smuggrin::scared::confused::cool::D:p

And I think I have a townhouse in Christiansburg, if it closes....:xf:fingers crossed nothing goes wrong. I probably won't be moving there until the beginning of August.

Staying in Windsor Hills. =) Just too happy with the place to move out. Fiance and I got our new apartment assignment (we were first on the list so we actually got a choice in the matter! :D ), and we got a beautiful thing right on the top of a hill looking out over the mountains. I looooove it. <3

I can't wait to be back in Blacksburg. I miss it so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does that survey we filled out for the class notes actually order the notes for us or do we have to still order them? I am a bit confused.

I think it lets them ballpark how many copies they'll need. Although they also made it sound kind of binding, what with all the "your account will be billed come August" and whatnot.

Hi friends! I just got back from moving into my new apartment in Blacksburg. I LOVE it. SO much nicer than my old place and my dog seems happier too. Does everyone know where they are living yet? I'm in Cedarfield (for those previous hokies it's on south main inbetween fancy kroger and the CRC).

A little over 2 months til we all get to meet! Looking forward to it :)

Looking forward to meeting you as well.
I'm living in a duplex off Prices Fork Rd. I only know where it is based on a map, since I have been to Blacksburg once, for like 24 hours. Actually, less than 24 hours.:oops:

Does that survey we filled out for the class notes actually order the notes for us or do we have to still order them? I am a bit confused.
I didn't open the notes survey yet. It seemed so final with the whole "you can open it once, only once" thing. I was intimidated. So I'm no help at all, sorry.

I spent all day packing boxes!!! I have to much crap!!! Its so hard to get rid of notes that I have worked so hard on over the years. And I hopefully will get all of my health forms together by the end of this week!! :eek:

I spent all day packing boxes!!! I have to much crap!!! Its so hard to get rid of notes that I have worked so hard on over the years. And I hopefully will get all of my health forms together by the end of this week!! :eek:

Boo moving. I'm dreading it. Although I will love the stuff purging that results from the move. I'm kind of an anti hoarder. I love to get rid of stuff, hate accumulating junk. I especially love tossing school notes, books etc.
Thought you weren't moving till August?

I just did the class notes survey, now I'm freaking out that I won't need them or could have gotten them from my big. Oh well, what will be will be.

I just did the class notes survey, now I'm freaking out that I won't need them or could have gotten them from my big. Oh well, what will be will be.

Oh poop, I didn't even think of that. Oh well. =) I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

I can't wait to move. It helps that all of my stuff is in Blacksburg already, I'm sure ;) (The irony is that my new apartment is literally 20 yards away from my old one, but because of the timing of the leases we had to stick my stuff in a storage unit in Christiansburg for 2 months :laugh: ). But I'm so ready to be back down in Blacksburg, basking in the last few weeks of freedom... Ah. Oh well. That time shall come. =)

Also, I wanted to ask you guys what you thought about the One Health philosophy (http://www.onehealthinitiative.com/) and if you guys would be interested in trying to get some speakers to VMR to discuss it - its impact, job possibilities, its growth, etc. I think we're pretty uniquely positioned, what with both of our parent schools hosting a number of medical schools (VT has osteopathic and allopathic med schools; UMD has allopathic medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy covered), I think we could get a lot of really interested students from all across the board.

UC Davis, Missou and a number of other vet schools have dedicated One Health programs, but so far all I've heard from VMR is some chatter on how it's an important aspect of global medicine.

What do you guys think? =)

I am such a Hoarder of stuff!! I have notes from Undergrad back in 2000 to 2004. I have used my notes and stuff in research and other classes so some stuff I keep a hold of.
My parents were in town, so I packed a bunch of boxes with them and stuffed some boxes in their car to take back to Virginia. I probably won't move into my place officially til around August. I am going to mail a lot of my stuff to my parents house. I am not moving any furniture so I am going to have to buy all new furniture. UPS here I come with a **** ton of boxes.
I got all the notes because I like to annotate my notes myself, and organize them the way I want. Most of the classes don't have text books, so the notes are going to very important for studying I think. I will probably hoard my notes. My Vet who is fairly new out of vet school still uses her notes which are up on one of the shelves. Plus you will notes for the Boards (not sure what the final exit exam is called to get your certification?).

Also, I wanted to ask you guys what you thought about the One Health philosophy (http://www.onehealthinitiative.com/) and if you guys would be interested in trying to get some speakers to VMR to discuss it - its impact, job possibilities, its growth, etc. I think we're pretty uniquely positioned, what with both of our parent schools hosting a number of medical schools (VT has osteopathic and allopathic med schools; UMD has allopathic medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy covered), I think we could get a lot of really interested students from all across the board.

UC Davis, Missou and a number of other vet schools have dedicated One Health programs, but so far all I've heard from VMR is some chatter on how it's an important aspect of global medicine.

Great Idea!! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)

I see this initiative as crucial to the future of human health care and to sustaining a healthy Earth for us to live on. I'm glad this conversation is happening and I would love to see some more information on how to get involved. So, yeah I'm all for getting some speakers on campus. I'm already being tempted away from my desire to do mixed practice by VMR's public/corporate track....

I'm already being tempted away from my desire to do mixed practice by VMR's public/corporate track....

:thumbup:

There are quite a few of us interested in this track this year, it seems. =)

Haha-gave you the panic back!:smuggrin:

:laugh: You win. For now. ;)

Regarding One Health - probably the best launching-off point would be garnering interest in a student organization, I'm thinking. If we get in touch with some of our colleagues at the different medical schools, I bet we could get one off the ground without a whole lot of trouble. I'm glad you guys are interested! What with human perception switching to a global view in so many things, I think humans are finally catching on to the fact that we need to be about the bigger picture, these days. =)

I would suggest getting a geneticists, invasion Biologists, Ecologist, and some other scientists. Researchers that aren't directly related to Vet Research.

Regarding One Health - probably the best launching-off point would be garnering interest in a student organization, I'm thinking. If we get in touch with some of our colleagues at the different medical schools, I bet we could get one off the ground without a whole lot of trouble. I'm glad you guys are interested! What with human perception switching to a global view in so many things, I think humans are finally catching on to the fact that we need to be about the bigger picture, these days. =)

Darn, you gave me the panic right back! I looked at the available student orgs already available and I want to join like 5, pretty sure I won't have time for them all but I don't want to miss anything. Ugg, sometime I wish I had limited interests and a narrow worldview:p

I wish there was an Aquavet club and a specific wildlife club!

I wish there was an Aquavet club and a specific wildlife club!

I think it'd be hard for an aquatics club to exist in Blacksburg; the closest aquarium is probably Baltimore. :laugh:

There used to be an Aquatics club but it got dissolved into the Public Veterinary Practice Club which also includes, zoo, wildlife, research, international med etc., etc. It's the catch all club.
I think next year PVPC will be having some more One Health things since we have a few board members interested in it. Make yourself heard, become board members and you can do anything you want!

Aquatics can be river animals too :p and aquaculture. There is a small aquaculture department at VT. :love:

There used to be an Aquatics club but it got dissolved into the Public Veterinary Practice Club which also includes, zoo, wildlife, research, international med etc., etc. It's the catch all club.
I think next year PVPC will be having some more One Health things since we have a few board members interested in it. Make yourself heard, become board members and you can do anything you want!

Heck I will run for President!! :cool:

:thumbup::thumbup:

Exciting. =)

Are yall taking both electives or just one?

I signed up for both. I dunno if I'll keep both on my schedule, but I figured Embryology would be good since I've never taken an embryo/developmental class, and the other looks like fun.

I'm signed up for both electives this semester... I'm viewing it as a warm-up for starting the MPH coursework in the spring (and my only opportunity to take electives for "fun" if I plan on finishing the combined program in a reasonable amount of time).

I only signed up for one, the Domestication class. I plan on taking 2 the next semester.

Ah I hadn't thought of that. I will pass on that, though I might take a few of those classes for fun if I have time.

Doing a Masters and a Doctorate at the same time seems like a bit of an overload. Do people take those classes over the summer or as the electives instead?

Both first-semester electives are straight-forward, great classes, and I highly recommend taking both.

I am just going to take the one. I am afraid to over do it the first semester. I really want take Genetics and the Herp/Av Morphology the following semester.

There probably isn't one unless you plan on going into public health (infectious disease, epidemiology, etc).

This. My interest is shelter med, so I might get something useful out of the mph.

Did anyone else sign up for the Big/Lil program? If so, have you heard from your Big?

Hey all! I know you aren't prospective students anymore, but I thought anyone living near the Baltimore area might be interested. VMRCVM and its alumni are doing an event 7/15 up in MD that will focus on "One Health" and give attendees a backstage tour of the Baltimore Aquarium. I just thought of this thread when I received the followig link in my daily email (VT employee here).

http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2012/06/062512-vetmed-baltimoreinnerharbor.html

Wish I lived closer, because I'd love to go. (As an actual prospective student. I'm not as cool as you guys that are starting this fall. :p)

And Dr. Bonnie (Smith) is totally awesome! I had taken embryology before, so I didn't take the elective (wanted to see what I was getting into first), but I think anyone who takes it will really enjoy it!

*waves hand* Well, I already have a Little, but I'll be happy to answer any questions ya'll might have!

LR c/o 2015

For the laptop, err, problem, I got the extra-large lap desk from Amazon. I don't like those little fold-over desks, either. Lapdesk worked great, though.

As far as student organizations, I didn't find that it was onerous to fit meetings in. There weren't tons of them, and often there is food! Particularly like the Food Animal Practitioners Club : )

Hey all! I know you aren't prospective students anymore, but I thought anyone living near the Baltimore area might be interested. VMRCVM and its alumni are doing an event 7/15 up in MD that will focus on "One Health" and give attendees a backstage tour of the Baltimore Aquarium. I just thought of this thread when I received the followig link in my daily email (VT employee here).

http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2012/06/062512-vetmed-baltimoreinnerharbor.html

Wish I lived closer, because I'd love to go. (As an actual prospective student. I'm not as cool as you guys that are starting this fall. :p)

Thanks for sharing!
Just checked and I have to work that day. :(
Sounds like it could be really interesting, though.

Saw that - definitely very interested. And I have off that day, so it looks like I might be trekking up to Baltimore!

I can't believe I'm on here before hopeful with this news! We got our bigs:) Check your VT email.
ps- It is a spreadsheet list and it is weird to see the names of so many people that I will be knowing, yet currently don't

Last edited:
I can't believe I'm on here before hopeful with this news! We got our bigs:) Check you VT email.
ps- It is a spreadsheet list and it is weird to see the names of so many people that I will be knowing, yet currently don't

:laugh:

Yay, bigs! :clap::love:

Woot!! Now we just have to wait for them to email us.

Omg you guys.

I got the e-mail today about the White Coat Ceremony and I almost burst into tears at work (that's only slightly an exaggeration).

It's happening! :love::love::love: