VMRCVM 2015 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm IS, as well, and I also have not heard anything.

Of course, the address they have is also 6 hours away at my apartment at school. So I guess I won't know if I got rejected for sure until I'm back.

Members don't see this ad.

Got my invite for January 28! Sure, it came at a weird time Tuesday morning, but I work nightshift, so I knew right away! :laugh: (I'm IS and live about 12 minutes from campus right now.)

Hi guys:) so I did a little searching and I know I've seen it somewhere but being Christmas and all .... I'm with all my family. And they keep asking the stats for how many people get interviewed vs how many get accepted. Can someone help me out? Merry Christmas all!!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have a couple of questions for you all!

First, has anyone OOS gotten an interview invitation yet? I'm still waiting patiently (correction: I was patient not too long ago! haha).

Second, does anyone know how strict VMRCVM is with residency matters? I heard one success story from a coworker about an applicant that applied OOS but was accepted and since she lived in VA for over a year before matriculating, she was able to obtain IS residency & tuition. I'm wondering if this is an extremely rare occurrence or if any of you have heard similar stories?

I am technically a MA resident but I moved to VA in June for a paid internship at a thoroughbred breeding farm. I lived there from June through the very end of September. At the beginning of November, I moved back to VA when I accepted a position at VMRCVM's equine hospital in Leesburg as a nurse for the inpatients and now also in the OR. The catch is that I started here after applications were due so they don't know I still live in VA, let alone that I work at THEIR hospital :scared:. I wish they knew this since there is a teeny glimmer of hope that it could help me in their selection process... but there's nothing I can do at this stage in the game, right? The closer it gets to "make it or break it" time, the more this bugs me!

Summary: AHHHH!
:D

So I have a couple of questions for you all!

First, has anyone OOS gotten an interview invitation yet? I'm still waiting patiently (correction: I was patient not too long ago! haha).

Second, does anyone know how strict VMRCVM is with residency matters? I heard one success story from a coworker about an applicant that applied OOS but was accepted and since she lived in VA for over a year before matriculating, she was able to obtain IS residency & tuition. I'm wondering if this is an extremely rare occurrence or if any of you have heard similar stories?

I am technically a MA resident but I moved to VA in June for a paid internship at a thoroughbred breeding farm. I lived there from June through the very end of September. At the beginning of November, I moved back to VA when I accepted a position at VMRCVM's equine hospital in Leesburg as a nurse for the inpatients and now also in the OR. The catch is that I started here after applications were due so they don't know I still live in VA, let alone that I work at THEIR hospital :scared:. I wish they knew this since there is a teeny glimmer of hope that it could help me in their selection process... but there's nothing I can do at this stage in the game, right? The closer it gets to "make it or break it" time, the more this bugs me!

Summary: AHHHH!
:D

I'm not exactly clear on your story but I know that you have to be living/paying taxes to claim residency. Residency forms were already due, though, so unless you claimed residency, it's too late (at least for this cycle).

Good question. As an OOS, I'd also like to know whether any OOSs have an interview invite.

Have any OOS-ers gotten the thumbs down yet? I've been trying not to be overly obsessive with the mailbox yet. But it is hard. ;)

I'm hoping they don't boot me on account of late fall transcripts... two of my professors were late submitting grades this year. (The last will supposedly be in tonight or tomorrow.) I e-mailed them asking if they'd like me to send the unofficials as is or wait it out, and I haven't heard back yet. (Class I'm waiting on is a pass/fail thing that Bio majors are forced to do prior to graduation... it doesn't even impact my GPA. :() This school doesn't seem to be as understanding as some of the others I'm dealing with, so I'm kind of nervous.

Have any OOS-ers gotten the thumbs down yet? I've been trying not to be overly obsessive with the mailbox yet. But it is hard. ;)

I'm hoping they don't boot me on account of late fall transcripts... two of my professors were late submitting grades this year. (The last will supposedly be in tonight or tomorrow.) I e-mailed them asking if they'd like me to send the unofficials as is or wait it out, and I haven't heard back yet. (Class I'm waiting on is a pass/fail thing that Bio majors are forced to do prior to graduation... it doesn't even impact my GPA. :() This school doesn't seem to be as understanding as some of the others I'm dealing with, so I'm kind of nervous.

A couple of people have been rejected already (see Rejections thread) but I didn't think we were supposed to hear until "early January" as the website says.

I emailed Joyce about my transcripts too - they won't be sent til Jan 3rd, per the registrar's office. I emailed her my semester grades and a couple of questions but no response, which leads me to believe they're out of the office this week. Joyce is usually really prompt with responses! Hopefully it all works out :xf:

According to her voicemail, she's out until the 3rd or 4th (can't remember which), but will be checking her e-mail periodically this week. Hopefully, if she's not around, the fact that my transcripts aren't either won't be the end of the world. I'm planning on overnighting them as soon as my last grade is entered.

I thought all the rejections thus far had been IS, but when I saw that an OOS-er scored an interview, I started getting nervous, haha. Honestly, I do not think that this school will be interested in me, but I am quasi-from the area, know other vets who have been through their program, and I figured I'd give it a shot (however long it may be).

I'm OOS too and what worries me is that they'll end up seding a rejection letter to my college mailbox while I'm on break. I don't want to be in limbo until Jan. 17th :eek:....granted if I haven't heard by then I think I'll know whats up:(. Did you guys get an email reminding you to send the transcripts in 10 days or did you just check their site? I didn't get an email about that and I'm wondering if that indicates a rejection has been sent out?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm OOS too and what worries me is that they'll end up seding a rejection letter to my college mailbox while I'm on break. I don't want to be in limbo until Jan. 17th :eek:....granted if I haven't heard by then I think I'll know whats up:(. Did you guys get an email reminding you to send the transcripts in 10 days or did you just check their site? I didn't get an email about that and I'm wondering if that indicates a rejection has been sent out?

Just speaking for myself (OOS), I did not receive any reminders from them. (In fact, I don't think I've received any correspondence since the "we received your supplemental and $" e-mail.) I was nervous about my absent grades, and started checking everyone's policies on fall transcripts. So... either that means nothing, or we are both in the same boat. :cool:

I would think that you could probably call and inquire about your status if the rest of us are receiving our interviews (or Skinny Envelopes of Doom) and you haven't heard anything yet. :)

I would think that you could probably call and inquire about your status if the rest of us are receiving our interviews (or Skinny Envelopes of Doom) and you haven't heard anything yet. :)

Glad to hear I'm not alone and I hope none of us are getting the "Skinny Envelopes of Doom" :D. If I don't hear from them after the first week of January then I'll give them ring (or sooner if they start contacting a lot of ppl), I wish they communicated with us more about the whole process...:bang:

Hi, I'm one of those rare out-of-staters who applied and - oh my god, got an interview! Mine's 1/29. Nice to feel part of the VMRCVM hopefuls both IS and OOS. I hope it's not off topic, but how are you guys preparing for the MMI format interview? If it is, you can contact me off list. [email protected]
Thanks!
Fidils

I haven't gotten any correspondence from their either, it doesn't mean you're rejected ;) I got the information about transcripts from the "Fall 2010 Transcripts" thread in which someone had spoken with Joyce and she said to report and then mail as soon as you can.

Since university employees are off this week, transcripts can't be sent until Monday, at which point I will -also- be overnighting them. Although we're supposed to hear in "early January" either way, so I can't imagine it matters all that much.

Hang in there guys, should only be another couple of days! :xf:

I ended up not overnighting the unofficial transcripts (though I did e-mail admissions to notify them of the grades that had come in- and inform them that some still hadn't- a few days ago)... I just dropped them off at the post office. I hope I don't regret this. :xf:

Fidils, I have obsessively watched the videos on the ProfitHR website, and read through many questions asked at VMRCVM in the past, and at other vet schools. I have asked family & the vets I work for to randomly ask me questions of the sort to catch me off guard and prepare me to think quickly. Beyond that I don't know what we really can do.. I'm trying to be as prepared as I can be, I'd hate to think I came this far not to give the last step my undivided persistence.

Really, don't stress about the MMI format. There's REALLY no way you can prepare for the questions they'll ask you. We're under a confidentiality agreement not to tell you what the questions were last year, but it wasn't bad at all. I actually really enjoyed the interview process as the MMI format and thought it worked wel l(though I know others were more stressed by it). Yes, by the time I got to the last question I drew a total blank, but it didn't matter. I was able to talk my way through it and it went well :)

You will all do just fine. It'll be fun seeing all the new faces when you guys come for interviews and prospective students weekend and such!

Two questions for you all.

1. I contacted Ms. Massie regarding a transcript issue and still haven't heard back. I assumed she'd be back in the office by today. Should I call/leave a message or just wait for an email response? I don't want to pester but I know we're supposed to hear within the week...

2. I'm going to be leaving to visit my boyfriend's family on Friday and will be without internet access for a week. I might be able to get access on my phone, still not sure. Anyway, should I just wait until I get back to see if I've gotten an interview/rejection, or should I ask about this? I know a couple of people last year (at various schools) had the same predicament and called to ask the admissions office basically if they could hear their fate early, and I know it'll be driving me up the wall, but I also don't want to come across as OMGMUSTKNOWNOWTELLMEIMASPECIALSNOWFLAKE.

Anyway, thoughts? Thanks :scared:

I haven't heard anything yet. I'm sort of on the border for IS. I was hoping Ms. Massie would ask me for tax paperwork which I have, but she hasn't yet. I'm from the NRV and my entire family is still there and this is where I want to be, SO :xf:

It's so crazy how they do all of their interviews in just a few days. I had heard that previously, but it sounds like that's the case again this year.
Hoping I'll hear something soon! It's my only school, SO only one basket to put my eggs in :D ! I really love the burg, and I want to be back there permanently!

Does anyone know how the application works if I don't get VA residency? Will they automatically put me in the OOS pool or automatically reject my app? I would hope they would just put me in the OOS other than automatic rejection. I'd rather be at my home school paying OOS than not there at all IF I were to get in!

The MMI process is pretty resource demanding and takes tons of time to set up...think speed dating style interviews ;). I imagine at some point (when class size increases more) they will have 2 interview weekends, but until then, there's not really much they can do without evaluating people with different standards.

I liked it okay...some of the interviews went better than others--just remember to start each interview fresh and to be yourself.

hahatoofunny22--I'd think they'd put you in the OOS pool, but who knows?

that redhead--I personally don't think it would be a problem to ask.

Good luck all!:luck:

I contacted Ms. Massie regarding a transcript issue and still haven't heard back. I assumed she'd be back in the office by today.

I think she may be coming back tomorrow... (couldn't remember if the message said third or fourth, think it was fourth?)... so that could be why you haven't heard back yet. I haven't gotten a response yet, either.

And I, also, am getting pretty impatient in the "special snowflake" department :laugh: ... the next couple weeks are either going to be reeeeally fabulous or severely horrible, haha.

I just hope I don't receive all four Skinny Envelopes of Doom on the same day! :luck:

(Okay, let's be honest... I'm really hoping I don't receive four of them, period. C'mon, somebody... take a chance on me! *cue sympathetic dejected puppy eyes*)

Really, don't stress about the MMI format. There's REALLY no way you can prepare for the questions they'll ask you.

I knowwwwww but..... D: D: D: I feel so useless right now, and if I feel poorly after the interview I'm going to kick myself for not doing X/Y/Z even if I never even thought of what X/Y/Z could be..

If that makes sense.

Not sure if anyone's interested, but I just spoke with Ms. Massie over the phone. She said the transcript dates were "soft" dates and not to worry about it. Didn't have the courage to ask about my status - we'll just hope the invites come before Friday OR that my phone gets emails between flights. Good luck guys! :xf:

Has anyone heard anything yet? The waiting is killing me. Looking at the official interview invites and rejections, it looks like the last word anyone has gotten from VMRCVM was just before the holidays. I'm pretty sure the stress of waiting has freaked out my immune system and my stomach :eek:
I wonder if I'm the only one that is physiologically stressed :)

Good luck everyone!! :xf:

Had my rejection letter waiting for me in my mail box at school. Goodluck to the rest! :)

I'm going to be leaving to visit my boyfriend's family on Friday and will be without internet access for a week.

Does the bf's family live in Greenland, or are they just technologically impaired?

I had similar issues at my parents' place last week but was able to manage by getting the cell phone to do a wifi modem thing with the laptop.

Does the bf's family live in Greenland, or are they just technologically impaired?

I had similar issues at my parents' place last week but was able to manage by getting the cell phone to do a wifi modem thing with the laptop.

:laugh: Technologically impaired. I don't have a laptop myself (although if I get in, I've promised one to myself to make life easier) but I can get to Internet from my phone. I've just realized my boyfriend has a laptop though, and he may be bringing it, so maybe I can find a Starbucks or somewhere with Wifi to just pop online...

Hahatoofunny - I can't sleep these past few nights, which is normally never a problem for me. At this point ANY response will be good news so that I can stop worrying either way!

Sorry Momo :(

Hey guys! So I talked to Ms. Massie today because like someone said *IAMASPECIALSNOWFLAKE*, and found out some tidbits. The university has sent out their first round of invites and rejections. The next step is to see how many of this first round is going to accept invites. About 20 people haven't responded yet to the interview invite. They have an alternate invite list. By tomorrow at 5pm, this first round of invites must respond to the interview request. Then they'll move on to the alternate list for interviews. So some of us might hear something by today, tomorrow, or Friday. As this first round turns down invites, she'll grab someone off the alternate list. She's very sweet, and if you're a special snowflake like me, give her a call. :xf:

Thanks for the info, hahatoofunny22! Good luck to all of us still waiting to hear anything!!!

That redhead - I'm with you with the not sleeping. That's so unlike me, too. But lately, I feel like I spend all my time rushing to check my email or the mailbox, and sleeping doesn't come easy!!! Can't wait until I can breathe again -- no matter what's coming my way.

Thanks for the info hahatoofunny22. I called today and they said I was on the alternate interview list. I really want to go to VMRCVM. I really want to get an interview! GL to everyone!

Thanks for the info hahatoofunny22. I called today and they said I was on the alternate interview list. I really want to go to VMRCVM. I really want to get an interview! GL to everyone!

Yeah I really want to as well. I'm from there --- went to a local HS, went to their former sister school across town, AND my entire family is still there. They said I'm on the the alternate interview list as well... what limbo. So they sort of like us :shrug: but they don't hate us :D
So I'm just thankful for that lol Keep em crossed!! :xf:

Congrats to everyone whose been accepted/ on the alternate list! That's awesome!!!
The university has sent out their first round of invites and rejections. The next step is to see how many of this first round is going to accept invites. About 20 people haven't responded yet to the interview invite. They have an alternate invite list.
Dang! I don't go back to college til the 17th, so I can't check my mail for a rejection and I'm really nervous about calling...guess I'll have to bite the bullet and call tomorrow to find out...even though I doubt I would have been in the first round of invites, it would be awful if they sent an email and it didn't come through:scared:. That makes me nervous for ppl that got invites today and might not see the 5pm deadline in time....but then again who doesn't obsessively check their email 10 times a day:p ? seriously?

Last edited:

Congratulations, guys! :xf:

Any idea what the odds are that those of us that haven't received a rejection at this point made it onto the alternate list? I'm not entirely sure how the process works at VMRCVM. How many "stages" are there?

To be honest, given their bluntness about not forgiving prior academic transgressions, I applied under the assumption that the outcome probably wouldn't be a positive one. I'm still kind of shocked (and thrilled) that I haven't been sacked yet!

They have a great program, I've worked with some of their graduates, and I'm originally from the area (thank you, parental types, for uprooting me mid-HS and rendering me OOS ;))... I'd be thrilled if they gave me the opportunity to interview!

Hey guys! So I talked to Ms. Massie today because like someone said *IAMASPECIALSNOWFLAKE*, and found out some tidbits. The university has sent out their first round of invites and rejections. The next step is to see how many of this first round is going to accept invites. About 20 people haven't responded yet to the interview invite. They have an alternate invite list. By tomorrow at 5pm, this first round of invites must respond to the interview request. Then they'll move on to the alternate list for interviews. So some of us might hear something by today, tomorrow, or Friday. As this first round turns down invites, she'll grab someone off the alternate list. She's very sweet, and if you're a special snowflake like me, give her a call. :xf:

Oh jeez. I don't know if this makes it better or worse. I feel a little sick :scared:

I don't know that there was an alternate interview list last year, at least I had never heard anything about it if there was. This may be something new they're implementing?!

I don't know that there was an alternate interview list last year, at least I had never heard anything about it if there was. This may be something new they're implementing?!

Maybe they're trying to prevent interviewing too many people? I imagine this interview style is quite demanding on the faculty and staff. I'm really not sure. But when I called she told me I was on an alternate interview list. She said I could hear something in the next few days OR I could hear something later since people may get acceptances to other schools before the VMRCVM interviews.

Well I must say that this thread just made my day! Since I haven't received an interview invite yet, I was pretty sure that I had been rejected. I got my boyfriend to check my mailbox at school today and still no rejections letters yet! (I live two minutes away from VMRCVM so the rejection letter would have been there by now) There's still hope that I could be on the alternate interview list :) which I didn't know they did! I guess I could call and find out for sure but I'm way too chicken!:laugh:

Not sure from the list if any OOS people have gotten interviews yet... ? Are we part of the alternate list, or is that just for IS?

Not sure from the list if any OOS people have gotten interviews yet... ? Are we part of the alternate list, or is that just for IS?

According to post #58, one lucky OOS SDNer did get an interview invitation. I am still waiting and wondering the same thing as you regarding an alternate list for OOS applicants. I might get ballsy and try to call tomorrow. I'll let you all know if: (1) I successfully put my big girl panties on tomorrow and (2) I get any helpful information.

Side note: Why do I always read these forums at night? As if I'll be able to sleep after getting my heart racing from stuff like this... :scared::laugh:

Congrats to everyone whose been accepted/ on the alternate list! That's awesome!!!
Dang! I don't go back to college til the 17th, so I can't check my mail for a rejection and I'm really nervous about calling...guess I'll have to bite the bullet and call tomorrow to find out...even though I doubt I would have been in the first round of invites, it would be awful if they sent an email and it didn't come through:scared:. That makes me nervous for ppl that got invites today and might not see the 5pm deadline in time....but then again who doesn't obsessively check their email 10 times a day:p ? seriously?

I received my interview invitation by email today, the time stamp on the email was 3:05pm, according to Yahoo. There was no mention of a deadline to accept or decline their invitation and they do provide a link that you must use in order to do so.

I received my interview invitation by email today, the time stamp on the email was 3:05pm, according to Yahoo. There was no mention of a deadline to accept or decline their invitation and they do provide a link that you must use in order to do so.

congrats. I'm hoping I will get an email like that. :xf:

The people with the deadline were people they had invited before yesterday. I think this deadline was for people that got invited just before the holidays. She definitely said there was a deadline at 5:00 today for the people that didn't respond to the first round of interview invites. I don't know when the deadline would be for people just invited yesterday, or that get invited today or even tomorrow. My only concern was for today's deadline lol :)

The people with the deadline were people they had invited before yesterday. I think this deadline was for people that got invited just before the holidays. She definitely said there was a deadline at 5:00 today for the people that didn't respond to the first round of interview invites. I don't know when the deadline would be for people just invited yesterday, or that get invited today or even tomorrow. My only concern was for today's deadline lol :)

turned down my interview invitation during the break, i may regret this but oh well too late..so i hope one of you oos-ers gets it :)

So are we to assume that if we haven't yet been rejected we're on this "alternate interview" list?

Well maybe... honestly, you should call. Joyce Massie is really sweet. When I called I just fully mentally prepared myself for an answer I wasn't hoping for and one I was hoping for. I got something in between --- a rather tortuous limbo if I might add BUT nonetheless something is between. I don't think she can tell you where you are because it all depends on who turns down their invite. To be quite honest, I'm actually considering calling about 4:30 if I don't hear something. I really am a special snowflake. :laugh:

Well maybe... honestly, you should call. Joyce Massie is really sweet. When I called I just fully mentally prepared myself for an answer I wasn't hoping for and one I was hoping for. I got something in between --- a rather tortuous limbo if I might add BUT nonetheless something is between. I don't think she can tell you where you are because it all depends on who turns down their invite. To be quite honest, I'm actually considering calling about 4:30 if I don't hear something. I really am a special snowflake. :laugh:

I've met her a couple of times at the open house and did speak to her - she IS so nice! I guess I should just bite the bullet and call. I now worry that I'll get an invite and won't see it because of aforementioned out of townness and miss an RSVP or something :scared: Dammit, self.