VMRCVM c/o 2019 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejection from Missouri BUT interview for VMRCVM for Jan 17th!!! Literally shed a tear or two lol this MMI deal is freaking me out though :/ any more in depth descriptions on how it works? Is it live scenarios in which you have to do stuff or just verbal scenarios that you discuss things?

OMG Im the same way!!! @orie93 Freaking out!!! :wideyed:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I am in state and got on the wait list as well :) better than being outright rejected, as I was las y

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot imagine they would put the rest on a waitlist rather then rejecting them.... that seems crazy...I guess anything is possible though. Does anyone that goes there now have an answer?

Congrats to everyone who got interview offers! Those who are alternates don't panic yet! (though honestly I have no idea how many alternates they sent)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an OOS interview alternate too. Glad it wasn't an outright rejection but I hope more of us make it to the actual interview!

I still haven't heard anything yet - anyone else still waiting?

It sucks to not get an interview yet, but here's the way I look at it:
There's a Chance.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
I am also an IS alternate interview invite.... but it does feel better than my flat out rejection last year. good luck to everyone!

OOS altnernate. I thought it was a rejection, so I'll take it! I haven't heard from any of my other schools, so I am cursedly unaware of where I stand.

I can't remember if I posted this for your year of not, so I apologize if I already did, but-
If you are an interview alternate, call right before the interviews, like the week of. I did that, just to check on my status on the Monday before interviews (that started Friday) and I was told I was still in line and asked if I was still interested if a spot opened up. I said I was, we hung up. Joyce called me within 5 minutes to offer me an interview. And I got in!!! The great thing about our MMI's is that once you get an interview, everyone is on the same level and has the same chance of getting in.
Just saying, don't be annoying but it doesn't hurt to be politely insistent.
Good luck to everyone, interviewing here or otherwise!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also-I just bumped up an old thread with some good info on the MMI format. We can't be anymore specific, we have to sign non disclosure agreements to participate.

I have not heard anything at all :( is anyone else in the same boat?

OOS alternate. Just hoping to hear some good news from any of the schools I applied to in the next few weeks

I can't remember if I posted this for your year of not, so I apologize if I already did, but-
If you are an interview alternate, call right before the interviews, like the week of. I did that, just to check on my status on the Monday before interviews (that started Friday) and I was told I was still in line and asked if I was still interested if a spot opened up. I said I was, we hung up. Joyce called me within 5 minutes to offer me an interview. And I got in!!! The great thing about our MMI's is that once you get an interview, everyone is on the same level and has the same chance of getting in.
Just saying, don't be annoying but it doesn't hurt to be politely insistent.
Good luck to everyone, interviewing here or otherwise!

So how do people get off the interview wait list? Do a lot of people actually decline interviews? That sounds crazy to me.

I emailed the admissions coordinator this morning and apparently I was sent an email with an interview invite but I never actually received the email. If anyone else hasn't heard I'd double check.

I emailed the admissions coordinator this morning and apparently I was sent an email with an interview invite but I never actually received the email. If anyone else hasn't heard I'd double check.
Oh good to know! Thank you! Congrats on your invite!

I am so nervous about the flight and the weather from what they wrote on the invite :eek: I am going to get in on Friday around noon! :rolleyes:

I recommend everyone who is not sure about their status to email them. I'm an alternate, but didn't receive the email that was sent out Friday. OOS by the way.

I am a MD IS student and got an interview for 1/18!! This school is my top choice so I'm hoping to get as much advice for the interview as possible. I have an interview for MSU on 1/9 and they do MMI as well. Has anyone heard if both schools MMI are similar? I'm hoping to use MSU as practice for VMRCVM.

So how do people get off the interview wait list? Do a lot of people actually decline interviews? That sounds crazy to me.
Yeah, mainly OOS students that get interviews all over the place and have to decide which ones they really want to interview at, or some that have already gotten in where they want to go and so decline all other interviews. But our interviews were in March, so I think there may be less of that for y'all than we had.

I am a MD IS student and got an interview for 1/18!! This school is my top choice so I'm hoping to get as much advice for the interview as possible. I have an interview for MSU on 1/9 and they do MMI as well. Has anyone heard if both schools MMI are similar? I'm hoping to use MSU as practice for VMRCVM.
No one knows...or if they do they can't tell you. At VMRCVM you have to sign a non disclosure agreement pertaining to all content. Only format can be shared-you get 10 minutes per room, and there are many rooms. 2 minutes to read what is on the door about what is going to happen inside and take notes/collect your thoughts. Then 8 minutes in the room. Bell sounds, starts all over again with a new room.

So, I'm an IS waist list for an interview and just received an email basically saying I'm unlikely to be granted an invite to interview.....second year applying and still no luck with VMRCVM :(

I just got a lengthy email too, but I wasn't sure if it was saying I was unlikely to get an interview or not. It did say they had over 1000 OOS applicants and only 40 seats available for them. That's insane. I'll still keep my fingers crossed, but I'm not holding me breath.

I just got this email from the VMRCVM Admissions Committee: :yeahright:

We understand how disappointing being waitlisted must be. This was the first time we have used a waitlist for interviews and was implemented as a result of individuals accepting interviews last cycle, and then pulling out at the last minute. We were frustrated that we had rejected potential students who would have loved the opportunity to interview, and therefore implemented the waitlist system this year.

We recognize the hard work and sacrifices our candidates make to apply to veterinary school. Each applicant pool seems to become more competitive each year and in ways above and beyond academics. Some of our applicants apply 2 or 3 times to gain admission, which is a reflection of just how difficult it can be to get into veterinary school.

When reviewing applications, the admissions committee must look at all criteria, with academics being weighed heavily. The academics includes your overall GPA, last 45 hours, Science GPA and your GRE scores. The review includes reading applications in their entirety.

The Maryland applicant pool was more academically competitive than last year and this seems to be the trend. The admissions committee does consider other criteria, however, academics are still weighed heavily in the review process.

As the pool is unpredictable, we cannot say how far we will go down the waitlist. We can let you know that you are not in the top ten of the Maryland waitlist, and therefore, unlikely to get an interview. If you would like to be taken off the waitlist, please email.

We will be offering application advising beginning April 13th and throughout the summer months. You are encouraged to seek the feedback from our office, as we will provide you with a summary of your application review. This will provide the framework, which to improve upon for the next cycle.

Again, gaining admission to any veterinary program is highly competitive. It may be discouraging to not receive the opportunity to interview, but there are many highly qualified veterinarians, who were not successful at getting in their first or second time of applying to vet school. They were determined individuals, who continued to keep working towards their goal.​

But good luck to those of you who got interviews!!

The Maryland applicant pool was more academically competitive than last year and this seems to be the trend. The admissions committee does consider other criteria, however, academics are still weighed heavily in the review process.

As the pool is unpredictable, we cannot say how far we will go down the waitlist. We can let you know that you are not in the top ten of the Maryland waitlist, and therefore, unlikely to get an interview. If you would like to be taken off the waitlist, please email.​
The OOS email is essentially the same, except this part:

"The out-of-state applicant pool was more academically competitive than last year and this seems to be the trend. The admissions committee does consider other criteria, however, academics are still weighed heavily in the review process.

As the pool is unpredictable, we cannot say how far we will go down the waitlist. There were almost 1,000 candidates for the 40 out-of-state seats. Out-of-state candidates have many choices, and as other schools go out with offers, we expect the out-of-state waitlist to change. If you would like to be taken off the waitlist, please email"​

My heart stopped when I saw the email because I thought it was going to tell me I had been offered a position to interview or they decided to reject me. Disappointed. Hopefully some people do drop the invite and we get a chance to interview! Still going to hold onto hope until 2 days before the interview!

Reactions: 3 users
My OOS email stated the same thing. I wonder if it's just the IS email that tells you If you're not in the top 10.

My heart stopped when I saw the email because I thought it was going to tell me I had been offered a position to interview or they decided to reject me. Disappointed. Hopefully some people do drop the invite and we get a chance to interview! Still going to hold onto hope until 2 days before the interview!
I know! I started reading it excitedly thinking I got an interview, but then as I read further I thought I was rejected. I had to read it twice to make sure it wasn't a flat out rejection.

Yeah I wasn't sure what the email was saying at all. Is she saying we're unlikely to get an interview or if you wish to be taken off the wait list to email so they can narrow it? All very confusing.

Yeah I wasn't sure what the email was saying at all. Is she saying we're unlikely to get an interview or if you wish to be taken off the wait list to email so they can narrow it? All very confusing.
I took it as "you still don't have an interview, let us know if you wanna be taken off the list, blah blah lots of applicants".

I don't think anyone was flat out rejected and they won't tell us what number we are on the waitlist. Hmmm. I would rather know than be number 966 of 1000. That causes us be hopeful that all of the people offered positions AND the entire waitlist would decline, only to find out on the last possible day that we did not have a shot at all.

I don't think anyone was flat out rejected and they won't tell us what number we are on the waitlist. Hmmm. I would rather know than be number 966 of 1000. That causes us be hopeful that all of the people offered positions AND the entire waitlist would decline, only to find out on the last possible day that we did not have a shot at all.

EDIT: I would rather be flat out rejected than be put on a ridiculously long waitlist blindly.

People were rejected

Rejection from Missouri BUT interview for VMRCVM for Jan 17th!!! Literally shed a tear or two lol this MMI deal is freaking me out though :/ any more in depth descriptions on how it works? Is it live scenarios in which you have to do stuff or just verbal scenarios that you discuss things?
I talked to a friend who goes there now, and she said you basically sign an NDA so that you can't really talk about the questions you were asked or anything, BUT she did tell me that the more comfortable and confident you are with your answers, the better you come off. I'm going to prepare by reading my application, doing a mock interview, and brushing up on current vet medicine events!

The way this email was phrased just came off as a like a PR statement for everyone to understand a little more than "you're now on a wait list" like the original email was. Yeah it's basically there were a lot of applicants so that is why there is a wait list this year and it's super competitive so you're on standby until they email you again with any new changes.
Maybe some people don't want to deal with the wait list bs so they have the option to remove yourself.

This whole situation is frustrating bc every time I get an email I get hopeful and then let down again. -_-

Honestly, don't try to prepare for the MMI's. Just be you. But yeah, no one can discuss any details of them.

Did anyone that got an interview invite receive a separate invitation for the dinner? I haven't received one but the original email said we would one we confirmed our interview

Well, I guess I'm an alternate for the interviews. I never heard anything from them even after sending an email asking about my status after everyone else heard. But I did get that long OOS email yesterday. Congrats to everyone who got an interview!

Did anyone that got an interview invite receive a separate invitation for the dinner? I haven't received one but the original email said we would one we confirmed our interview

@vt15 Yeah I never received any other email about the dinner.

If anyone needs a ride from Roanoke to Bburg or a free couch to crash on, let me know. The hubs and I have room as long as you don't mind an overly friendly dog :)

This was my second time applying and I got an interview for January 17th!! So very nervous and excited at the same time :)