#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Welp, that's all she wrote, folks. Apparently getting a 4.0 in a medical school's Master's program doesn't really help you get in. I know that's not the whole story of a student, but I'll be damned if it doesn't still hurt. Best of luck to everyone else who's still holding their breath!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Welp, that's all she wrote, folks. Apparently getting a 4.0 in a medical school's Master's program doesn't really help you get in. I know that's not the whole story of a student, but I'll be damned if it doesn't still hurt. Best of luck to everyone else who's still holding their breath!

which program did you do

which program did you do
Tufts MBS program. Nearly identical to their first year's medical school curriculum. Same classes, same exams. And we also had a required master's thesis to complete as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you at least get an interview at Tufts?
The second to last day of interviews, yea. It was my only interview, but it felt like it went really well... I had great conversations with both interviewers

The second to last day of interviews, yea. It was my only interview, but it felt like it went really well... I had great conversations with both interviewers
I'm really sorry to hear that. Best of luck with your next application.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm really sorry to hear that. Best of luck with your next application.
Thanks! I'm actually currently doing PA applications and getting cleared to volunteer while I'm working. Hopefully I'll have better luck.

Plain and simple, they f@cked you and took your money. Ridiculous.
Yes and no, I suppose... I still have a Master's degree so I'm currently getting paid more, and it's definitely going to help me with medical studies down the road. But yea, I have no freaking idea why they didn't accept me. And the generic rejection email basically saying "we can't necessarily tell you why we rejected you due to the relativeness of the process" is BS. If I got rejected from 14+ schools, SOMETHING is obviously amiss. Tell me what it is so I can fix it.

Yes and no, I suppose... I still have a Master's degree so I'm currently getting paid more, and it's definitely going to help me with medical studies down the road. But yea, I have no freaking idea why they didn't accept me. And the generic rejection email basically saying "we can't necessarily tell you why we rejected you due to the relativeness of the process" is BS. If I got rejected from 14+ schools, SOMETHING is obviously amiss. Tell me what it is so I can fix it.
What are your numbers? Where did you apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your numbers? Where did you apply?
For med school? 3.4 combined undergrad, ~350-400 hours of clinical experience, Master's degree with 4.0 GPA, 73 percentile on MCAT and have 1 full year of industry research experience at a Fortune 500 company. I received 1 interview, and that was with the school I got my Masters from.

For PA, I'm a little stuck due to my lack of clinical hours (most places require 1000 hours or more) so I'm applying to Daemen, Gardner-Webb, Boston, Upstate, Cornell and Clarkson.

For med school? 3.4 combined undergrad, ~350-400 hours of clinical experience, Master's degree with 4.0 GPA, 73 percentile on MCAT and have 1 full year of industry research experience at a Fortune 500 company. I received 1 interview, and that was with the school I got my Masters from.

For PA, I'm a little stuck due to my lack of clinical hours (most places require 1000 hours or more) so I'm applying to Daemen, Gardner-Webb, Boston, Upstate, Cornell and Clarkson.
Huh. You would think more people would bite at that. Your numbers aren't spectacular, but they're in the acceptable range. But what I learned from my application year is that it's a high MCAT world out there, and normal MCAT people like us are just lucky to be living in it. Best of luck with applying PA!

Yeah, unfortunately I have to say it's probably the numbers holding you back, as they're on the low end. It sucks and it's total bull****, because the master's says a lot, but I think sometimes the admissions committees get stuck on the undergrad GPA and especially the MCAT. I'm sorry how it's working out for you =/ Good luck with the PA school apps, though! Best way to get tons of hours of clinical experience for PA school quickly, in my opinion, is volunteering in EMS. With some agencies you don't even need to be an EMT to do so, you just help on the ambulance in other ways. (Just a thought!)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, unfortunately I have to say it's probably the numbers holding you back, as they're on the low end. It sucks and it's total bull****, because the master's says a lot, but I think sometimes the admissions committees get stuck on the undergrad GPA and especially the MCAT. I'm sorry how it's working out for you =/ Good luck with the PA school apps, though! Best way to get tons of hours of clinical experience for PA school quickly, in my opinion, is volunteering in EMS. With some agencies you don't even need to be an EMT to do so, you just help on the ambulance in other ways. (Just a thought!)

Thanks! Definitely looking into that, I've heard from many people that it's a great place to get PA shadowing as well.

I still get a grim kick out of the fact that AAMC did all this research and determined that 50th percentile MCAT takers were just as likely to pass the boards on the first go as those in the higher percentile range, and what do med schools do? It's absolute BS that one day in a student's life plays such a huge role in determining if they'll be a good doctor. Not to mention, while both are standardized tests, beyond that, it's rather different from the boards.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Guys!!!!! Guess who just got accepted to Med school (DO)!
ME! :p:p:p:p:p
& Still got some more MD and DO interviews coming up.

Good Luck Everyone! If I can do it, so can you!

Reactions: 21 users

Congrats! That was hella fast, wow. Hopefully some of the other og's from this thread who are reapplying get the same luck. Enjoy the year of freedom!

At least you know you won't be suffering come next summer

EDIT: well...possibly suffering in a different way like memorizing 12039453407582347 muscles in the human body

Holy crap that's amazing! Congrats buddy!!!! :soexcited:

why wouldnt you try for DO or caribbean over PA?
Whoops, sorry, didn't see this response until now. I've spoken with many people regarding Caribbean schools, and the vast majority seem to not hold them in high regard. My choice to switch to PA really just came from a lot of self reflection and realizing how much starting a family and being able to actually be a part of it meant to me (and not being half a million in debt in some instances...). PA allows me a greater opportunity to do that. And the ability to be flexible where I work in healthcare with PA is also extremely attractive.

Whoops, sorry, didn't see this response until now. I've spoken with many people regarding Caribbean schools, and the vast majority seem to not hold them in high regard. My choice to switch to PA really just came from a lot of self reflection and realizing how much starting a family and being able to actually be a part of it meant to me (and not being half a million in debt in some instances...). PA allows me a greater opportunity to do that. And the ability to be flexible where I work in healthcare with PA is also extremely attractive.
ya the family aspect of it makes sense. if you got an md interview tho i can def see you getting into DO schools. some DO schools are cheap too. i think the net income down the road would be a lot higher as a physician even with more initial debt

Hey guys! Idk if any of you check this anymore, but we said we'd post with good news. I got into RCSI in Dublin! :biglove:
I'm waitlisted at one of my IS schools too. But IT'S OVER! So happy...
I hope those of you who didn't get in last year have the same result! Thanks for being there when things were their most grim <3

Reactions: 13 users
Hey guys! Idk if any of you check this anymore, but we said we'd post with good news. I got into RCSI in Dublin! :biglove:
I'm waitlisted at one of my IS schools too. But IT'S OVER! So happy...
I hope those of you who didn't get in last year have the same result! Thanks for being there when things were their most grim <3

Yay!!! I am still in the game myself. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: 6 users
Update: Accepted to 2 MD schools as of now!
2016 Wait List thread still feels like home tho <3

Good luck to everyone still waiting!!

Reactions: 13 users
Update: Accepted into 3 MD schools and waitlisted at Georgetown (AGAIN)!!
Withdrew from one and deciding between UVM and Jeff... Thanks to this community for keeping me sane during this time last year and good luck to everyone still fighting the fight :) Banana kitty worked for me

Reactions: 12 users
congrats to all those that made it this year! never give up!

Reactions: 4 users
Waitlisted for three straight years but 2017 has blessed me with 4 Acceptances!!!! My profile pic still has bananas thanks to this thread haha

Reactions: 17 users
Waitlisted for three straight years but 2017 has blessed me with 4 Acceptances!!!! My profile pic still has bananas thanks to this thread haha
The power of the banana! :p

Reactions: 3 users
Also got waitlisted last year, and accepted this year. Happy to see everyone else is doing well and didn't give up!

Reactions: 7 users
It's so wild to come back and read through this thread, like going on the journey again but knowing how it ends.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 5 users
It's so wild to come back and read through this thread, like going on the journey again but knowing how it ends.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I'll occasionally read old threads like this for motivation, especially when I feel the urge to complain about anything medical school related and need to remind myself how lucky I am to be here.

Reactions: 9 users
mind sharing where? what did you do differently each cycle?
Sure. I was accepted to University of Connecticut, Indiana University, University of Massachusetts and Meharry Medical College. I was also accepted to a DO program in Denver.
I retook my MCAT after the second go around and found that I just got waitlisted again for a third straight year. After being waitlisted last April, I busted my ass to do more shadowing and community service work because I really didn't have that much on my application. From April to September I put in many hours shadowing physicians of different specialties and volunteering at a food bank in my community. I applied mid September, which was pretty late but it ended up working out. I think that, along with admissions committees seeing my perseverance, is what allowed me to finally get over the hump. Also, I went in to my interviews fairly confident. The shadowing experiences showed me that this is absolutely the career I want, no matter how long it would take me, and I believe the interviewers saw that confidence in me. Plus, after three years of interview cycles I had lots of practice haha

Reactions: 5 users
Yay!!! I am still in the game myself. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone
Hey it sounded like you were ready to give up at the end of last cycle. Did you apply again this cycle?

Hey it sounded like you were ready to give up at the end of last cycle. Did you apply again this cycle?

Yes, but only did a rush job and applied to a handful of schools. I am applying for real next cycle...Studying for the MCAT again. Very unmotivated though. I've been in this process much longer than most.

Sent from my iPad

Yes, but only did a rush job and applied to a handful of schools. I am applying for real next cycle...Studying for the MCAT again. Very unmotivated though. I've been in this process much longer than most.

Sent from my iPad
Oh man. I hope there's something you can try that will make a difference! Have you ever considered hiring one of those advisors? Like the ones that are former admissions officers? That's something I was really going to consider if I didn't get in this cycle, since I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Especially as someone who is not in school anymore, I thought it would be better to go all-in and have someone coach me through every step of the process than to just keep applying without help or hope.
One thing I DID this time was apply to a bunch of schools I hadn't applied to before--especially schools that take a lot of students like me (older, nontrad, etc). I've heard that some schools immediately put reapplicants in a "no" pile.

One thing I DID this time was apply to a bunch of schools I hadn't applied to before--especially schools that take a lot of students like me (older, nontrad, etc).

Same here. Funny enough, my IIs were a few schools I reapplied to and the rest were new. I'm actually deciding between two schools were I'm a reapplicant at, too haha. I think reaching out to every school and seeing if they give post-application advice would be very helpful for @Angelyka . Of the 40 schools I applied to the first time around, 4 got back to me with pretty useful advice (speaking to Deans and Directors of Admissions) and of those 4, I was encouraged to reapply by 2 of them, and then got accepted into both. It might be an exception, but it doesn't hurt to ask if they have time to go over them with you.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh man. I hope there's something you can try that will make a difference! Have you ever considered hiring one of those advisors? Like the ones that are former admissions officers? That's something I was really going to consider if I didn't get in this cycle, since I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Especially as someone who is not in school anymore, I thought it would be better to go all-in and have someone coach me through every step of the process than to just keep applying without help or hope.
One thing I DID this time was apply to a bunch of schools I hadn't applied to before--especially schools that take a lot of students like me (older, nontrad, etc). I've heard that some schools immediately put reapplicants in a "no" pile.

I speak to an advisor regularly, so I doubt I would hire one. I can't change my undergrad grades but I can improve my MCAT score. Which schools did you find to be non-traditional and older applicant friendly?

Sent from my iPad

Same here. Funny enough, my IIs were a few schools I reapplied to and the rest were new. I'm actually deciding between two schools were I'm a reapplicant at, too haha. I think reaching out to every school and seeing if they give post-application advice would be very helpful for @Angelyka . Of the 40 schools I applied to the first time around, 4 got back to me with pretty useful advice (speaking to Deans and Directors of Admissions) and of those 4, I was encouraged to reapply by 2 of them, and then got accepted into both. It might be an exception, but it doesn't hurt to ask if they have time to go over them with you.

I have spoken to deans and admissions since my cycle last year. I have basically been told to improve my MCAT score . That's great that you have acceptances. I only applied to 7 schools so I was not very hopeful. I will be applying to many more in June, pending a great score increase.

Sent from my iPad

I speak to an advisor regularly, so I doubt I would hire one. I can't change my undergrad grades but I can improve my MCAT score. Which schools did you find to be non-traditional and older applicant friendly?

Sent from my iPad
I didn't write it down, but if you look at the AAMC stats "by age" you'll see which schools tend to accept the greatest # of students in your age bracket. Mine was 30-39. Another thing you might consider is adding not only DO schools but also the top 3 Caribbean schools (the ones that have US accreditation) and Atlantic Bridge Program (Ireland). Possibly also Australia--but I didn't research those cuz it's too far for me. I have some old less-than-ideal grades (over 10 years old), but an admissions director I heard give a talk said: if you have even a few C's on your record (no matter the reason or amount of time passed), you'll find it next to impossible to get into a US MD program, so you'll need to cast a wider net, especially if it's your third cycle or more. I hadn't realized that some ancient grades still tarnished my record to such an extent. But I did what he said and voila! now I'm into a great MD program in Ireland and on the WL for an IS school that I'll likely never get off of.
After this rollercoaster of a process, I'm not that bothered that I have to move across an ocean. I'll make it work. I'll be frugal. It'll be a fantastic adventure. I'm just glad this process is over and I'm going to be a doctor! So you have to ask yourself, how far are you willing to go to get off this ride and start getting your degree? What could you work with and what is a deal-breaker.. I hope that helps! I wish you all the luck in the world :luck:

EDIT: I should mention that the prehealth advisor from my old undergrad had the best of intentions and was very nice and supportive but played absolutely no part in helping me figure out what needed to be done to get in. He didn't even know about the ABP