WCVM/UCVM c/o 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've worked in small animal clinics for almost 7 years, and I have definitely had the "don't do it" speech from a number of vets or just observed general unhappiness over the profession. I think there are a lot of people who a) didn't have enough experience to know what the profession is; b) did have enough experience but chose not to look at it with a critical eye; c) are just unhappy people. I think you have to be very strong be a veterinarian, but you also have to have a good sense of humor and learn how to not take things home with you. If this is what you wanna do then go for it!

Members don't see this ad.

You know what, don't let the experience or perception of others dictate how you feel about your choice. If you're worried, you should really spend some time reflecting on a few things; why you want to be a veterinarian, what you really hope to earn money-wise (Don't lie to yourself. Be realistic. Know what the wage expectations are for what you want to do, and decide if you can live with that), and think about your own experiences with veterinary medicine. There's no sugar coating it. It's a lot of school, time, stress, and debt if you're unsure whether you'll be happy in the end with it, but ultimately the decision is yours alone to make.

Got a letter today asking for further documentation from UCVM. At least that means I'm in the pipeline :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure a lot of people do get into it without really understanding the profession, but honestly... vets have a very high suicide rate. A female vet is 7x more likely to commit suicide than a member of the general population. There is a lot of burnout within the profession, and I think that's very difficult to understand until you get further in. That's probably why so many vets are telling you to go into something else. I mean, you could go into engineering, finish your degree 2-4 years earlier, and get a better starting salary with better hours. Burnout is definitely an issue and something that you have to think about, but if you're proactive in managing it, you should (hopefully) be ok. WCVM is starting to address some of these issues now - in third year, one of the elective choices is Mindfulness and taking that elective was definitely one of the best choices I could have made at the time. Third year was seriously burning me out and making me hate school in general and that elective did a lot of good for my mental and emotional health. I do think that if you know this is what you want to do, and you wouldn't be happy in another career, then absolutely go for it, but do keep in mind that obviously a lot of the vets you've already met possibly have some depression and/or burnout and that you're not immune to that, either, and that it's important to pay attention to your mental health and make sure you're happy.

I'm sure a lot of people do get into it without really understanding the profession, but honestly... vets have a very high suicide rate. A female vet is 7x more likely to commit suicide than a member of the general population. There is a lot of burnout within the profession, and I think that's very difficult to understand until you get further in. That's probably why so many vets are telling you to go into something else. I mean, you could go into engineering, finish your degree 2-4 years earlier, and get a better starting salary with better hours. Burnout is definitely an issue and something that you have to think about, but if you're proactive in managing it, you should (hopefully) be ok. WCVM is starting to address some of these issues now - in third year, one of the elective choices is Mindfulness and taking that elective was definitely one of the best choices I could have made at the time. Third year was seriously burning me out and making me hate school in general and that elective did a lot of good for my mental and emotional health. I do think that if you know this is what you want to do, and you wouldn't be happy in another career, then absolutely go for it, but do keep in mind that obviously a lot of the vets you've already met possibly have some depression and/or burnout and that you're not immune to that, either, and that it's important to pay attention to your mental health and make sure you're happy.

thanks for the advice Braki!! where are you currently staying? Im eyeing graduate house/college close but apparently the 15min walk is quite a long ways a way when you're in -50 degree weather :p

Hey everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself, just found out about the site and I've applied to both WCVM and UCVM this year. Good luck to everyone with getting an interview!

thanks for the advice Braki!! where are you currently staying? Im eyeing graduate house/college close but apparently the 15min walk is quite a long ways a way when you're in -50 degree weather :p
My boyfriend moved out with me so we have a 2-bedroom apartment that's a 7-10min drive away from the school. We've been pretty happy with it, and haven't moved at all. Out of my classmates who tried staying in res, I think only one is still staying there. One of my friends lives in an apartment building just across the street from the university - no pets, but super cheap rent (something like $300-350 for a bachelor suite, a bit more for a 1-bedroom), and it requires a reference from someone in the building. A lot of professional students live there. Otherwise, there are usually a lot of people looking to rent a place or are looking for a roommate. If you get in, you get a package with all the rental ads from people in the school.

Glad to have you vetlyfe! Welcome, and best of luck!

Phew, WCVM received my transcripts today. Just waiting on one referee.
Does anyone know the role of the references? Do they matter more than they say or not at all?

WCVM received mine as well.

i think they use the references as a baseline for how to interview you, but I'm not completely sure

I think they are really more of a screening process; you might look like a fantastic candidate on paper, but are really hard to work with or rude to clients… You get the idea. They are just an outside perspective on your work habits/personality traits from someone in the profession.

Hi! Just found this site. I am a first time applicant to both schools. My gpa is very high and I have worked hard to get lots of experience so I am really hoping that I will be a successful applicant this year. I was wondering to those who have applied to both WCVM and UCVM, if you get accepted to both how will you decide? Is there one school that you favor over the other. I have talked to WCVM grads and UCVM grads and both are obviously biased to their own school. The one thing I did notice is that grads from both schools agree that UCVM has more hands on and their grads have an easier time finding a job in Alberta since they get to know many clinicians during their distributed teaching hospital. Does any one know if there is a difference in how students do on NAVLE between schools or how they do academically? I have tried looking for objective data to compare between the schools and have not had any luck in finding any. Anyone have any insight as to which school is better in their mind? Thanks!!!

I'm about to graduate from WCVM, so obviously have a bias, but each school has their strengths. Yes, UCVM has more hands-on, but WCVM students are stronger diagnostically and in coming up with differentials and plans. I don't know if I'd agree that their grads have an easier time finding a job in Alberta - I know that for 2-3 of my classmates, when looking for summer jobs anyway, at times had a difficult time finding a job in Alberta because the clinic had tried hiring a UCVM student and were so dissatisfied that they refused to hire any students - not sure if maybe they just got a poor student or what happened there. WCVM has a much stronger radiology program - we currently have 3 radiologists, but UCVM doesn't have any. One of our radiologists goes to Calgary and lectures there for a week, and then they get a week of lectures from a vet who is not a radiologist. In fourth year, only about a third of their class gets an opportunity to come here for a radiology rotation, meaning many UCVM students don't actually get a radiology rotation in their fourth year.

One of my friends from undergrad graduated from UCVM and is actually an intern here right now, so he's been able to compare the fourth year programs between the two schools. He said both had strengths and weaknesses but overall he prefers our program a bit more. At a teaching hospital, you're going to be taught to the gold standard, which is irritating when you get out into practice because you usually can't follow it, but at least you know it. In a private practice, you may not necessarily get taught the correct thing, and my friend has admitted that there were things that he was taught in fourth year that he didn't know was wrong until he started his internship. I also remember complaining that we didn't cover enough topics during morning rounds for me to feel confident with certain diseases, and him telling me and he never even got rounds so to him, the rounds that we got were really quite good. On the other hand, going in to fourth year he clearly had much more experience with surgery and spays/neuters than we did entering our fourth year.

NAVLE-wise, both schools have very high pass rates. You won't need to worry there. Academically, it's difficult to compare because UCVM uses GPA and WCVM uses percentage. It's not going to really matter anyway how your grades compare between schools so much as how your grades compare with your class (and even then, people only care about your grades if you're pursuing an internship or residency). One of last year's grads from UCVM got matched into a very competitive pathology residency last year, and I believe another one got a very competitive equine internship, so they seem to do well. WCVM also historically does a good job matching their students to internships if they want them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thankyou for taking the time to respond. Once interview invites go out I will think about it more if I am lucky enough to interview at both schools :)

Does anyone know about when we get notified if we have an interview with WCVM? I know UCVM is beginning of March...

So, one of my references still hasn't submitted and it's making me nervous. Should I be worried? What's a nice way of reminding them? :arghh:

They would have been sent a reminder e-mail from WCVM too as of January 31st if they haven't submitted yet.

Yeah I sent both my referees skeleton resumes in mid January, then they got a reminder less than a week ago. I don't wanna pester my reference that hasn't submitted but I'm getting a little anxious.

Phew, crisis averted! Everything's in, I feel so much better! :cow:

Reactions: 1 users
I contacted WCVM, they said that all interview notices will be sent out during March! One more month!!!! Getting nervous…...:(

I'm assuming just first round invites?

Really? I thought the dialogue box in the application portal said April.

I was just going to ask about WCVM's invite schedule. Thanks guys! It's going to be a long three weeks....

Reactions: 1 user
Just out of curiosity is anyone going to be attending U of A's MMI prep course for vet interviews on March 1? Or has anyone done it in the past? I'm hoping the fact they give you feedback will be helpful but not sure if it might just be a waste of time?

No…when I asked the admissions person she said that all interviews (for April and May) are sent out at the same time : / maybe I was told wrong?

No…when I asked the admissions person she said that all interviews (for April and May) are sent out at the same time : / maybe I was told wrong?

I believe you - it's entirely possible they've changed things up; we'll all know soon enough.
On a different note: anyone else suffering from depression stemming from a culmination of application self-doubt, bad weather and midterms? I'm in a serious funk!
I tried meditation for the very first time today - I'm not sure if it helped at all. Do you guys have any tips or tricks to combat depression from any of the aforementioned? :nailbiting::dead::sour:

I believe you - it's entirely possible they've changed things up; we'll all know soon enough.
On a different note: anyone else suffering from depression stemming from a culmination of application self-doubt, bad weather and midterms? I'm in a serious funk!
I tried meditation for the very first time today - I'm not sure if it helped at all. Do you guys have any tips or tricks to combat depression from any of the aforementioned? :nailbiting::dead::sour:
Tips on how I survived through my vet school application process, not sure if it works for everyone…but worth a try!
1. always try to think positive thoughts :) I'm a firm believer in "like attracts like"~ so if you think positive thoughts~ good thing will come your way!
2. whenever your doubtful about yourself, talk to people that are dear to your heart…sometimes they know you better than you know yourself ;) they always put words of encouragement into my heart and lighten up my day
2. get your chocolate ready!
3. my personal: watch videos of my sweet dog and know that everything is worth it for her <3
4. youtube videos of funny cats and dogs….always always always works!

;) WE CAN DO THIS!

I have a friend who's doing her residency in (human) family medicine. She is absolutely CERTAIN that I'm going to get in, and she knows what it takes to get into a medical program. When I'm not sure of my abilities, I call or text her or one of my other amazing supporters, and try to make myself believe them. They know me and what I've done and am capable of, and this one friend in particular knows what it takes. Hang onto your support system, we're almost to invite time!

Thanks for the replies! I do have an amazing support system and they've all been great over the past year especially after all the unfortunate news... I almost feel more stress by talking to them (and I don't know if this is going to make sense...) because I feel that if it doesn't happen I'm going to be letting them down? So dumb, but that's how I feel :(

I agree! I have the best support system and the vets and technologists I work with are thee best coworkers in the world. They are always there when I need reassurance but they also already make comments about "when you're gone" or "well you won't be here in the fall..." and that makes it so much worse to know they believe in me but I could potentially let them all down (again). I found out I was rejected at work last year and I'm not doing that again this year just in case! My family and friends are the best too and are all rooting for me but the anxiety I feel possibly having to tell them I was rejected again is not fun to think about!

dls, you're my spirit animal

What I found really helped me get through the last application cycle, particularly through the crappy winter months, was just doing things for me. Since I was finished my pre-reqs I took courses that I was interested in, and conquered them. I spent a lot of time running with my dog (not in the winter! Substitute an appropriate activity here...) and going to the gym. I literally just focused on things that would make me feel better both physically and mentally. I find going to the gym a great stress reliever; you probably have something in your life that does the same thing for you. Make sure you keep spending some time doing those things. I can't even tell you how important it was for me to try and find balance between throwing everything I had at my vet application, and also trying to stay sane. It's so, so, SO important to take care of yourself and your own personal needs, too. If you're in a funk, try to figure out what your body is trying to tell you. You will be so much happier if you do, and much more confident if you work on building yourself. (You'll also need to master that balance once you get in!)

Last night I dreamed that I got interview invites to both schools, but they went to my spam folder and I missed the deadlines to respond. I'm going to need therapy by the end of this process... :S

Last night I dreamed that I got interview invites to both schools, but they went to my spam folder and I missed the deadlines to respond. I'm going to need therapy by the end of this process... :S
HAHA I know that feeling. One time when I was on the wait list I had a dream that I got in. Stupid brains. Why you gotta be like that?

Its ok…last night I dreamed that I won the lottery and could go to international vet school with no worries ~!! HAHA! Just a dream :(

Its ok…last night I dreamed that I won the lottery and could go to international vet school with no worries ~!! HAHA! Just a dream :(
Not gonna lie... with the way the weather has been lately, I regret not being able to go to school on an island. Snorkeling after class beats out shoveling the driveway 5 x a week any day. At least in my mind. Plus I hear there is this thing called sunlight...

I got an email from UCVM this afternoon. Exceptional circumstances approved, so I have a shot at an interview but it's going to be close. I feel like I can prove myself if they'll just give me the chance, so that's one step closer. *excited and terrified all at once*

That's great news, squeak! Good luck!!!

Good luck!!! I scored an interview, just got the email!!! SO excited!!!!!

Hey everyone! I'm new here but scored an interview for UCVM tonight and thought I'd join in on the excitement! Congrats to everyone!

I got mine too! So excited and nervous, it's still sinking in!!!!

Congrats to all three of you!!! Knock 'em dead with your intelligence, good looks and fabulous personalities :) :) :)

Thanks jmf, I hope I do!! :D

I got an email from UCVM this afternoon. Exceptional circumstances approved, so I have a shot at an interview but it's going to be close. I feel like I can prove myself if they'll just give me the chance, so that's one step closer. *excited and terrified all at once*
Congrats squeaks! I found out that they had agreed I had exceptional circumstances, but that they wouldn't consider it for my application. I just found out that I didn't get an interview as a result. I would love to hear more from you about what you had included for them in this process to help get a good result. Thanks!

Escalla, I wish I was in Calgary. I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat!

Derbynerd, I pm'd you.

I wonder when WCvm will start sending out interview invites? Should be soon!

One can hope. But I think WCVM doesn't send out first rounds for a couple weeks yet.

One can hope. But I think WCVM doesn't send out first rounds for a couple weeks yet.
Yeah, I believe it was late March last year. Just Keep Calm and Finish this Sentence However You Like (I would suggest, Chive On)

Just got my WCVM interview offer!! Did anyone else get it yet?

That's amazing, congratulations pawlover! Good luck!!!