WCVM/UCVM c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just popping in to say good luck to all this year's applicants!

The last few months I've gotten extremely discouraged about applying, however reading these threads from the last few years has really improved moral. Thanks guys! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Welcome @BeautifulBritishColumbia ! Looks like we are from the same province. It's always nice to hear from people within the same applicant pool.

I just dropped in to say that I hope everyone's exams went well (if you had them) and to enjoy the well-deserved break! I have one more final left (stupid first year EOSC course on the very last day in the last time slot :thumbdown:) before I am home free. After the holidays we can all start collectively stressing about interviews! What a joyous time.

Merry Christmas everyone! And if you don't celebrate Christmas, I hope that you get to enjoy some relaxing days off :). Oh, and don't forget to send your transcripts once your grades come out! I think I sent mine on Christmas Eve last year because I forgot +pity+.

Reactions: 1 user
Happy 2016 everyone!! Hopefully this is the year for a bunch of you!!!!! :)

I'm a WCVM 2nd year and I dropped by to also offer any advice/support anyone applying might need!

I was a BC applicant and I completely understand the marks/average/application feelings. My first time applying I missed an interview by a lot, was ranked in the 70s. But I pulled my marks up and scraped a second round interview my second time applying, and got in!

So don't get discouraged, keep at it and have hope, and if you have any questions or anything just let me know!!

Best of luck this year everyone!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi sip011,
Do you recall when notifications were sent out for interviews?

Hi sip011,
Do you recall when notifications were sent out for interviews?

Hey! First round notifications I think go out in March-ish (but don't quote me on that- I never got one!). My second round invite came May 15th

I just asked Heather about the interview schedule this year and she said that the first round interviews will be the first week of May, and the second round interviews will be the last week of May. May will officially be most stressful month :nailbiting:!

What's everyone up to? The forum has been pretty quiet lately.

I'm just in the eternal battle of school and getting as much experience as I possibly can. Just starting a new job at a new vet clinic this weekend though :) Unfortunately it's my 3rd job I have right now lol (I get really attached and can't bear to quit any of them)

I'm just in the eternal battle of school and getting as much experience as I possibly can. Just starting a new job at a new vet clinic this weekend though :) Unfortunately it's my 3rd job I have right now lol (I get really attached and can't bear to quit any of them)
Noodle, how many times have you applied so far?

Wow, congratulations on the new job! Are all three of your jobs at vet clinics? How do you balance three jobs and school? I'm having it rough with just one job and school. Very impressive :).

This is my second time applying. I didn't really expect an interview last time, so the fact that I got one was a nice surprise. Hopefully I get one again this time. May can't come fast enough. What about you, @BeautifulBritishColumbia ?

Wow, congratulations on the new job! Are all three of your jobs at vet clinics? How do you balance three jobs and school? I'm having it rough with just one job and school. Very impressive :).

This is my second time applying. I didn't really expect an interview last time, so the fact that I got one was a nice surprise. Hopefully I get one again this time. May can't come fast enough. What about you, @BeautifulBritishColumbia ?

Thank you! No, I work at a vet clinic, a horse-drawn carriage company (which is nice because I can have a personal experience with a controversial topic), and a gas station (I've worked there for years, love my coworkers to bits, and the company pays for a bit of my school so I can't bear to quit). I found out tonight I may be able to get a place at an emergency vet clinic, so I will have to really take a good look at my schedule. Basically I'm a workaholic and love working, so if I enjoy my work I have no issue giving up my free time to do that. Last summer I was working 75 hours a week which definitely took a bit of a toll by the end. Last semester at school I also had a bit too much going on so my grades were not as good as they could have been, so I will have to be careful this semester. Basically I only work 8 hours at the gas station, 8 at the clinic until school ends, and I don't really even get shifts at the carriages right now because it's slow season :p Throw in some volunteering here and there and it isn't really that bad. I find if I just stay on campus after class and work there, I can power through studying/projects a heck of a lot faster than at home.

That's great! I was just look at the comment and saw that you said you were on the lower end of the BC grades pool. Would you mind sharing what they were? I'm trying to see how much I have to make up to even have a shot.

I actually haven't applied, I am still finishing my pre-recs. Just trying to get a little ahead in the whole process and wanted to cheer everyone on this year :)

@BeautifulBritishColumbia
Wow you are incredible to balance that much!! :O good for you! My friend who got in a year ahead of me definitely impressed her interviewers when she told them how much she worked while she was doing her pre-reqs...so as long as you keep your marks high enough to get an interview that will be really good for your interview!!! :)

I got in 2 years ago now and minimum marks change a bit from year to year. But knowing roughly what to aim for is a big help! It's a bummer WCVM won't share the most recent mark pool....the only reason I managed to get in was my friend got in a year ahead of me so I knew roughly what I needed based off her marks. My averages were 80, 81, and 88 (remember your best year counts the most) so my admission average was about 83.8 and that put me near the bottom of the 40 interviewed from BC 2 years ago.

@BeautifulBritishColumbia
Wow you are incredible to balance that much!! :O good for you! My friend who got in a year ahead of me definitely impressed her interviewers when she told them how much she worked while she was doing her pre-reqs...so as long as you keep your marks high enough to get an interview that will be really good for your interview!!! :)

I got in 2 years ago now and minimum marks change a bit from year to year. But knowing roughly what to aim for is a big help! It's a bummer WCVM won't share the most recent mark pool....the only reason I managed to get in was my friend got in a year ahead of me so I knew roughly what I needed based off her marks. My averages were 80, 81, and 88 (remember your best year counts the most) so my admission average was about 83.8 and that put me near the bottom of the 40 interviewed from BC 2 years ago.

That is so impressive. You must have rocked your interview! Congratulations :)!

BC, My average last year was about half a percent higher than sip's and I was ranked 46th for an interview- I only got one because other people ahead of me declined. I went back to upgrade because of that and now my admission average is a bit higher. I hope this year goes a little easier on us! Last year seemed extra competitive based on what some of my friends in vet school now have said :(

Sip and Noodle, thanks so much for the grade averages. It is more dire than I realized lol. I was hoping 82.5-83 could get you to 40. Oh well, the bad first semester comes back to bite. Noodle are you done your degree or what year?

So Sip, what do you think so far? :) Are you liking it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sip and Noodle, thanks so much for the grade averages. It is more dire than I realized lol. I was hoping 82.5-83 could get you to 40. Oh well, the bad first semester comes back to bite. Noodle are you done your degree or what year?

Don't let it get you down!! Remember, minimums fluxuate a bit every year depending on number of applicants. Also, I was super discouraged my first time applying (80 and 81 after 2 years ranked me in the 70s) and my "best year" put me up a huge way. So depending where you are in your schooling taking a year of "Mark boosters" can definitely make a big difference. Mostly just keep at it and don't get down on yourself.

I really like it for the most part. I was lucky in that my mom is actually a WCVM grad so I knew a lot of what was coming at me. Second year is a slog for sure (we wrote 22 exams last semester!) but we are finally starting to get into more practical stuff which is super exciting. :)

Where are you guys going to school?

Don't let it get you down!! Remember, minimums fluxuate a bit every year depending on number of applicants. Also, I was super discouraged my first time applying (80 and 81 after 2 years ranked me in the 70s) and my "best year" put me up a huge way. So depending where you are in your schooling taking a year of "Mark boosters" can definitely make a big difference. Mostly just keep at it and don't get down on yourself.

I really like it for the most part. I was lucky in that my mom is actually a WCVM grad so I knew a lot of what was coming at me. Second year is a slog for sure (we wrote 22 exams last semester!) but we are finally starting to get into more practical stuff which is super exciting. :)

Good point! I'll make sure to keep that in mind. Oh, that's awesome about your mom! What type of practice does she do, and what one are you wanting to do for that matter? That is a nightmarish amount of exams. Do you guys have the time for social lives occasionally? Haha. What sort of things are you getting into for the "practicals"? I apologize for the interrogation lol, it is just really interesting to talk to someone who is in the program right now :)

I'm done my degree after taking an extra year to complete it (so 5 years). I did this to substitute my 5th year with my 1st year because my first year was awful. Aaaaannnd my 2nd year wasn't much better, so I am back at school as an unclassified student taking even MORE courses to get rid of my 2nd year. I'm at UBC. I am literally counting down the days until this is all over (53 more to go!).

As much as it sucks to have taken 6 years of undergrad, I wouldn't have it any other way. We are so fortunate that WCVM is understanding about this and allows it- if you have a bum year bringing you down I highly recommend it! Like Sip says, a booster year (or two-ugh) can make all the difference.

What is it, one more month until first round invites at WCVM? I'm not crossing my fingers for a first round, but it's still terrifying to think about! When does UCVM send out their invites?

I'm done my degree after taking an extra year to complete it (so 5 years). I did this to substitute my 5th year with my 1st year because my first year was awful. Aaaaannnd my 2nd year wasn't much better, so I am back at school as an unclassified student taking even MORE courses to get rid of my 2nd year. I'm at UBC. I am literally counting down the days until this is all over (53 more to go!).

As much as it sucks to have taken 6 years of undergrad, I wouldn't have it any other way. We are so fortunate that WCVM is understanding about this and allows it- if you have a bum year bringing you down I highly recommend it! Like Sip says, a booster year (or two-ugh) can make all the difference.

What is it, one more month until first round invites at WCVM? I'm not crossing my fingers for a first round, but it's still terrifying to think about! When does UCVM send out their invites?

Hi Noodle3 :) Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this conversation. I am in a similar position to you, Heather Mandeville told me I could do 1-2 more years of undergrad and likely get an interview (so long as my grades are similar to my last 3 years of university). What kind of classes are you taking? Was WCVM strict regarding the types of classes you could take for your booster year(s)? I'm hoping to get into UCVM this year (didn't make the cut last year) but if I don't, more undergrad may be my best option. The thought of doing even more undergrad (I also took 5 years) feels mentally and emotionally draining (not to mention financially, eek!)

Also has anyone heard from UCVM yet? I know last year they didn't send out interview invites until Feb 27th but I thought maybe they would do it earlier this year as interviews are scheduled for earlier :nailbiting:

Hi Noodle3 :) Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this conversation. I am in a similar position to you, Heather Mandeville told me I could do 1-2 more years of undergrad and likely get an interview (so long as my grades are similar to my last 3 years of university). What kind of classes are you taking? Was WCVM strict regarding the types of classes you could take for your booster year(s)? I'm hoping to get into UCVM this year (didn't make the cut last year) but if I don't, more undergrad may be my best option. The thought of doing even more undergrad (I also took 5 years) feels mentally and emotionally draining (not to mention financially, eek!)

Also has anyone heard from UCVM yet? I know last year they didn't send out interview invites until Feb 27th but I thought maybe they would do it earlier this year as interviews are scheduled for earlier :nailbiting:

Hey Squishes :) of course I don't mind. The more the merrier!

Last year I had to take courses that were restricted to my degree, but this year I'm honestly taking courses that have a reputation for being GPA boosters. If I can offer any advice, it would be to do your research on the courses before you sign up for them. Ask around for good GPA boosting courses that you think you will excel in, and stack up. I'm taking a little bit of everything. This year, all of my courses are distance ed which is allowing me to work (it helps when you are taking an unplanned year of undergrad). They don't care about the content of the courses, or that they are all distance ed, as long as only one or two of them are first year level and that they are completed within the 8 month timeframe that traditional undergrad courses are completed in. Heather was really helpful and I emailed her my course list for last year and this year for her to approve before registration (provided my grades were up, of course). I do have to admit- it is really mentally draining haha. But to be honest I'm more relieved that I have this opportunity to improve academically and personally. WCVM would be out of the picture for me if I couldn't do this; it has boosted my admission average by over 5%. Very worth it.

When are UCVM interviews scheduled? I asked Heather about WCVM interviews and she said that first round will be the first two weeks of May, and second round will be the last week of May. The first round interviews seem late to me this year. I thought they were always the last two weeks of April?

You were pretty close to making the cut last year at UCVM, right Squishes? Are you currently taking undergrad courses?

Oh dear lord the idea of doing 6 years of undergrad even before vet school....High five to the perseverance! What is your average this year? If you upped it by that much you've basically guaranteed yourself another interview. :)

I think? A few of my friends were saying they didn't think they'd be out until April but usually isn't it the last week of March?

Oh, one other thing that would be interesting to have a few people share their opinion on: Do you think the knowledge that we used this forum would hurt or help the application? (I am not suggesting saying it or anything, just if the admissions committee happened to see it and was able to put two and two together with our applications). It shows enthusiasm, but at the same time I've seen some interview questions on here that might be pretty close to the line of not following the signed contract. Would us being associated with that leaked material possibly hurt our chances?

Hey Squishes :) of course I don't mind. The more the merrier!

Last year I had to take courses that were restricted to my degree, but this year I'm honestly taking courses that have a reputation for being GPA boosters. If I can offer any advice, it would be to do your research on the courses before you sign up for them. Ask around for good GPA boosting courses that you think you will excel in, and stack up. I'm taking a little bit of everything. This year, all of my courses are distance ed which is allowing me to work (it helps when you are taking an unplanned year of undergrad). They don't care about the content of the courses, or that they are all distance ed, as long as only one or two of them are first year level and that they are completed within the 8 month timeframe that traditional undergrad courses are completed in. Heather was really helpful and I emailed her my course list for last year and this year for her to approve before registration (provided my grades were up, of course). I do have to admit- it is really mentally draining haha. But to be honest I'm more relieved that I have this opportunity to improve academically and personally. WCVM would be out of the picture for me if I couldn't do this; it has boosted my admission average by over 5%. Very worth it.

When are UCVM interviews scheduled? I asked Heather about WCVM interviews and she said that first round will be the first two weeks of May, and second round will be the last week of May. The first round interviews seem late to me this year. I thought they were always the last two weeks of April?

You were pretty close to making the cut last year at UCVM, right Squishes? Are you currently taking undergrad courses?

Good to hear that WCVM isn't too strict on the types of courses you can take during booster years! If I decide to go this route I'll be sure to double check with Heather. That's awesome you've been able to boost your admissions average by that much!! Very impressive, I admire your perseverance :clap: As for WCVM's interview schedule, to be honest, I have no idea haha. Hopefully a WCVM'er can weigh in on this?!

UCVM interviews are scheduled for March 12th, 18 days!! I got an offer today so here we go again, gahhh the MMI :nailbiting: Last year I ranked pretty low on my MMI score as well as 10 pre-requisite course score but scored high on the essay and last 4 full time semesters. I finished my degree last spring and have been working at a small animal clinic since. I'm hoping that having done the interview last year and having been out of school and in a veterinary setting, I'll be better prepared this time around... Plus I've been working through ethics scenarios everyday and took the advice from this forum to help structure MMI answers. But if this doesn't work out, it's back to undergrad in the fall! Either way I just keep telling myself that it will happen, one way or another!

I see you mentioned you're at UBC, I'm a hop over the water in Victoria :) (originally from Alberta). So once you finish up in April does that mean you've substituted year 1 and 2 of university?

If you upped it by that much you've basically guaranteed yourself another interview. :)

Ahhhh stranger things have happened. Though I'm sure my chances are good for an interview, you never know how the applicant pool can change from year to year. There was someone on this forum a few years ago who was waitlisted one year and then didn't even get a second round interview the next year. I don't want to get my hopes up too high in case this year is unusually high.

And to answer your other post, I don't think it would hurt our applications in any way. I haven't seen anything too specific on here, and there are far more comprehensive lists of actual questions that people have been asked out there. Saying stuff like "they asked me about my experience at ___" is pretty much a given. The universities themselves even say what to generally expect in the interviews. While I have never been a part of one, I'm sure that many pre-vet clubs have huge lists of questions that have been asked at interviews (whether or not they came from WCVM or UCVM or another vet school). Just don't go posting play-by-plays of your interview and you will be fine :).

Good to hear that WCVM isn't too strict on the types of courses you can take during booster years! If I decide to go this route I'll be sure to double check with Heather. That's awesome you've been able to boost your admissions average by that much!! Very impressive, I admire your perseverance :clap: As for WCVM's interview schedule, to be honest, I have no idea haha. Hopefully a WCVM'er can weigh in on this?!

UCVM interviews are scheduled for March 12th, 18 days!! I got an offer today so here we go again, gahhh the MMI :nailbiting: Last year I ranked pretty low on my MMI score as well as 10 pre-requisite course score but scored high on the essay and last 4 full time semesters. I finished my degree last spring and have been working at a small animal clinic since. I'm hoping that having done the interview last year and having been out of school and in a veterinary setting, I'll be better prepared this time around... Plus I've been working through ethics scenarios everyday and took the advice from this forum to help structure MMI answers. But if this doesn't work out, it's back to undergrad in the fall! Either way I just keep telling myself that it will happen, one way or another!

I see you mentioned you're at UBC, I'm a hop over the water in Victoria :) (originally from Alberta). So once you finish up in April does that mean you've substituted year 1 and 2 of university?

First of all- AHH! Congrats on the interview offer! That is very exciting! Did anyone else here get an offer from UCVM today? Your experience sounds like it will really help you out this time around- best of luck to you!

Hey, you are really close! You are currently in Victoria without going to school? You should keep an eye on your residency. If you have been here for a year without going to school, WCVM will consider you a BC applicant instead of Alberta for the next round (in the unlikely event you are not successful this year). Trust me, this is not a club you want to join :p. I'm not sure how UCVM works, though.

Oh, and yes! April I will be DONE, and first and second year will be in the garbage where they belong :diebanana: (that banana is first and second year)!

Oh, one other thing that would be interesting to have a few people share their opinion on: Do you think the knowledge that we used this forum would hurt or help the application? (I am not suggesting saying it or anything, just if the admissions committee happened to see it and was able to put two and two together with our applications). It shows enthusiasm, but at the same time I've seen some interview questions on here that might be pretty close to the line of not following the signed contract. Would us being associated with that leaked material possibly hurt our chances?

Hey, sorry to jump into the conversation also, but thought I might chime in on this.

There is actually NO contract for the WCVM interview, so you can share pretty much every interview question and experience you've had with no worries about breaking confidentiality. I personally did have a lot of specific interview questions shared with me from various people before my WCVM interview and it made so much of a difference. You definitely won't get many of the EXACT same questions in your interview, as they will ask you things specific to you and your application, but a LOT of common themes do seem to come up again and again (or even specific questions like how much do vets make, knowledge about different jobs in their profession, etc) I wouldn't go into the interview saying stuff like "I read in a forum online..." but I think it's totally fine to use the information on here to learn what to expect in general and the types of questions to study for. I know people in my class who went into the interview blind and did great and made it in, but personally I found it helpful to do extra studying and preparation and the forums are a great resource for that. For example, before my interview I noticed in past forums that I had seen people with no food animal experience getting asked about animal production in their interviews, so before my interview I tried to research how different food animals were raised and the major ethical/animal welfare problems associated with them. Turns out I actually DID get asked about how broiler chickens were raised during my interview (even though I'd never stepped foot in a chicken barn) and if it it wasn't for the information I learned on this forum I would probably have never thought to research it!

There IS a confidentiality agreement for UCVM so you can't share specific questions, but the University of Calgary pre vet club does a really great presentation on preparing for the MMI where they will do practice scenarios similar to MMI questions. Your interviewers are pretty much never actually talking to you during the UCVM interview process so I can't imagine they would be able to figure out you had been reading forums for information unless you flat out told them during an MMI station.

Last edited:
@SunnyAntia Thank you so much for chiming in!! I didn't remember signing a contract during my interview and was feeling pretty dumb for forgetting about it. I feel less crazy now :p. I've had a lot of people share their interview questions with me and I was starting to get paranoid so I didn't specify. How is your first year going, Sunny?

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster! I too received an invitation for UCVM interviews today - let the freak out commence! This is my first year applying and I have only applied to UCVM this year. Seriously crossing my fingers. Best advice for going into the MMI's for those who have experienced it before? I've seen the info about the veterinary ethics book and will be picking one up shortly. Did not want to jinx my chances by getting one before I got the interview!

A little about me as well. I have a BSc with honours and for the last year I've been schooling part time to get a couple more pre-reqs (decided I wanted to go to vet school a little bit late in the post-secondary career!) as well as working in a small animal practice as a veterinary assistant. Really hoping that the knowledge I have gained there will be of use. I wish I could pick my vets brains about the MMI but unfortunately they are on the interview panel this year so they aren't allowed to give me any tips!

Looking forward to meeting other people there who also have interviews at UCVM this year! I'm in the morning session =)

Congrats to Squishes and DAR on the interviews!!! And welcome to the posting part of the forum DAR, it's more fun that way lol

Sunny and Noodle, thanks for the opinions :) That's nice to know there is no contract to keep you on your toes regarding confidentiality. It's incredible how valuable these forums are for extra info and moral; it would really suck if they were something you had to be careful about sharing on. Also Sunny I second Noodle, how is this year going?!

Hey DAR, what did you take your degree in?

My degree is a Bachelor of Psychology, actually - but focused in Animal Behaviour. Psychology just happened to be where all those profs were teaching out of because the biology department at my old university was very micro-focused. Animal Behaviour was the original path I intended to go down until I decided that pure academia was a bit too cut-throat for me! So I have a lot of of the biology background (almost could've double majored, darn!) and worked on quite a few animal research projects (house wrens, dogs, cattle, bears, sloths, etc.). That's why I was missing a few of the pre-reqs since they weren't required for my initial degree!

My degree is a Bachelor of Psychology, actually - but focused in Animal Behaviour. Psychology just happened to be where all those profs were teaching out of because the biology department at my old university was very micro-focused. Animal Behaviour was the original path I intended to go down until I decided that pure academia was a bit too cut-throat for me! So I have a lot of of the biology background (almost could've double majored, darn!) and worked on quite a few animal research projects (house wrens, dogs, cattle, bears, sloths, etc.). That's why I was missing a few of the pre-reqs since they weren't required for my initial degree!

Congratulations on the interview, SAR! And welcome :)
Sloths?? That sounds incredibly cool. Where did you do your undergrad? That must have been so interesting. Your experience sounds really solid, and it really helps that you have a job at a clinic. Best of luck to you on your interviews :)

Ahhhh stranger things have happened. Though I'm sure my chances are good for an interview, you never know how the applicant pool can change from year to year. There was someone on this forum a few years ago who was waitlisted one year and then didn't even get a second round interview the next year. I don't want to get my hopes up too high in case this year is unusually high.

And to answer your other post, I don't think it would hurt our applications in any way. I haven't seen anything too specific on here, and there are far more comprehensive lists of actual questions that people have been asked out there. Saying stuff like "they asked me about my experience at ___" is pretty much a given. The universities themselves even say what to generally expect in the interviews. While I have never been a part of one, I'm sure that many pre-vet clubs have huge lists of questions that have been asked at interviews (whether or not they came from WCVM or UCVM or another vet school). Just don't go posting play-by-plays of your interview and you will be fine :).

First of all- AHH! Congrats on the interview offer! That is very exciting! Did anyone else here get an offer from UCVM today? Your experience sounds like it will really help you out this time around- best of luck to you!

Hey, you are really close! You are currently in Victoria without going to school? You should keep an eye on your residency. If you have been here for a year without going to school, WCVM will consider you a BC applicant instead of Alberta for the next round (in the unlikely event you are not successful this year). Trust me, this is not a club you want to join :p. I'm not sure how UCVM works, though.

I've been a "non student" in BC for about 2 months now. When I graduated, I picked up a post study internship at a vet clinic so was still considered a full time student as the job was set up through UVic. But the clinic that I'm working at now is not through the university so yes I have to be careful! If I do end up going back to school in Sept I won't have to worry about losing my Alberta residency. And yay for year 1 & 2 in the trash!! That must be an amazing feeling :soexcited:

Sunny and Noodle, thanks for the opinions :) That's nice to know there is no contract to keep you on your toes regarding confidentiality. It's incredible how valuable these forums are for extra info and moral; it would really suck if they were something you had to be careful about sharing on. Also Sunny I second Noodle, how is this year going?!

?

Hey! Yah I definitely found it to be a load off my mind to know I didn't have to worry about breaking confidentiality with WCVM. It also has the added advantage of allowing you to compare interview questions afterwords, which can be fun as some of the ones you hear out there are pretty interesting/funny (Can't speak for the other provinces, but I know me and a lot of other Alberta first rounders last year were asked how we felt about terrorism and if we knew of any terrorism organisations in different specific countries, it was definitely quite the question to try and answer on the spot ;) ) But most of the interview content will really vary so much, which is probably the biggest reason why they don't need a confidentiality agreement, you never know what they are going to ask you!

First year is still going pretty well. We have a few finals coming up within the next couple of weeks so I'm trying not to actively procrastinate for those (and failing miserably :laugh: ) it's a stressful month but I guess after a while you just sort of get used to the increased work load and learn to push through it. Everyone is in the same boat as you so there's always a shoulder to cry on and a listening ear you can rant to :biglove:.

I've been a "non student" in BC for about 2 months now. When I graduated, I picked up a post study internship at a vet clinic so was still considered a full time student as the job was set up through UVic. But the clinic that I'm working at now is not through the university so yes I have to be careful! If I do end up going back to school in Sept I won't have to worry about losing my Alberta residency. And yay for year 1 & 2 in the trash!! That must be an amazing feeling :soexcited:
Hey Squishes, at UVic did you go through the Co-o program for your internship?

Hey! Yah I definitely found it to be a load off my mind to know I didn't have to worry about breaking confidentiality with WCVM. It also has the added advantage of allowing you to compare interview questions afterwords, which can be fun as some of the ones you hear out there are pretty interesting/funny (Can't speak for the other provinces, but I know me and a lot of other Alberta first rounders last year were asked how we felt about terrorism and if we knew of any terrorism organisations in different specific countries, it was definitely quite the question to try and answer on the spot ;) ) But most of the interview content will really vary so much, which is probably the biggest reason why they don't need a confidentiality agreement, you never know what they are going to ask you!

First year is still going pretty well. We have a few finals coming up within the next couple of weeks so I'm trying not to actively procrastinate for those (and failing miserably :laugh: ) it's a stressful month but I guess after a while you just sort of get used to the increased work load and learn to push through it. Everyone is in the same boat as you so there's always a shoulder to cry on and a listening ear you can rant to :biglove:.

Haha oh the amount of uneducated answers that must have come out of that question...Lol. Or at least if people weren't super careful.

Oh, good luck on the exams! Does your class get along pretty well?

:hello: Hi everyone! I seem to be joining a bit late in the forum! Everyone here seems so incredibly motivated and positive and I think it's great we have this platform to use as a support network for all things pre-vet related! This will definitely be my go to place for those nights when the only thing keeping me warm is my degree (http://en.musicplayon.com/play?v=485610 <=== literately how I try to defend myself when my mom asks what I'm doing with my life right now lol!)

I'm originally from Ontario but moved out to Calgary a year and a half ago to accept a full-time T.A. position at an emergency animal hospital and to be eligible to apply for UCVM&WCVM. I just recently got an offer to interview with UCVM and I am so nervous! It's my first time applying and at this point, I'm just grateful that I'll come out of it with some interview experience regardless of whether I get in or not. Congrats to those who posted that they've been offered an interview at UCVM as well!

How is everyone coping with interview prep. so far AND waiting to hear back from WCVM? I have been living and breathing MMI since I found out about UCVM! If anyone else is in Calgary and would like a practice MMI buddy, let me know since I'd be super down to meet up! It is coming up so soon!

Haha oh the amount of uneducated answers that must have come out of that question...Lol. Or at least if people weren't super careful.

Oh, good luck on the exams! Does your class get along pretty well?

Thanks for the exam well wishes! :D I think everyone in our class gets along pretty well for the most part. They really push you to socialize a lot at the beginning of the year, and there are a bunch of mandatory events and get-to-know you type things that help as far as familiarizing yourself with people and making friends. Even without stuff like that though, you get comfortable with your classmates really fast by just being together all day, every day. Still, when you stick 80 people together (especially a lot of perfectionist type A people in high stress situations) there's always going to be individuals that don't get a long, or just people that have really strong personalities. I think that's probably inevitable with any group of people though.

:hello: Hi everyone! I seem to be joining a bit late in the forum! Everyone here seems so incredibly motivated and positive and I think it's great we have this platform to use as a support network for all things pre-vet related! This will definitely be my go to place for those nights when the only thing keeping me warm is my degree (http://en.musicplayon.com/play?v=485610 <=== literately how I try to defend myself when my mom asks what I'm doing with my life right now lol!)

I'm originally from Ontario but moved out to Calgary a year and a half ago to accept a full-time T.A. position at an emergency animal hospital and to be eligible to apply for UCVM&WCVM. I just recently got an offer to interview with UCVM and I am so nervous! It's my first time applying and at this point, I'm just grateful that I'll come out of it with some interview experience regardless of whether I get in or not. Congrats to those who posted that they've been offered an interview at UCVM as well!

How is everyone coping with interview prep. so far AND waiting to hear back from WCVM? I have been living and breathing MMI since I found out about UCVM! If anyone else is in Calgary and would like a practice MMI buddy, let me know since I'd be super down to meet up! It is coming up so soon!

Anne, welcome! :) That sounds like a really interesting job, how do you like it? Also, if you don't mind me asking why didn't you stay in Ontario and apply to OVC? CONGRATS on the UCVM interview though!!!

Thanks for the exam well wishes! :D I think everyone in our class gets along pretty well for the most part. They really push you to socialize a lot at the beginning of the year, and there are a bunch of mandatory events and get-to-know you type things that help as far as familiarizing yourself with people and making friends. Even without stuff like that though, you get comfortable with your classmates really fast by just being together all day, every day. Still, when you stick 80 people together (especially a lot of perfectionist type A people in high stress situations) there's always going to be individuals that don't get a long, or just people that have really strong personalities. I think that's probably inevitable with any group of people though.
Fair point haha, you cannot really expect every single person to be BFF's with everyone. But that's good to hear :)

Anne, welcome! :) That sounds like a really interesting job, how do you like it? Also, if you don't mind me asking why didn't you stay in Ontario and apply to OVC? CONGRATS on the UCVM interview though!!!
Hi @BeautifulBritishColumbia! Thanks for the warm welcome and congratulations! I thought it would be a strategic move to become a resident of Alberta so that I could apply to UCVM and WCVM, but since I was born in Ontario, I can also apply to OVC as well so I have applied to all three for the first time this year! Like a lot of the people here that have posted, my first and second year wasn't particularly good so I thought moving to Calgary and applying to UCVM, where they lean more towards the interview and essay, would be more to my benefit. I also went back to school this past September to upgrade my first year marks and I'm happy to say that I ended up with a 4.0 GPA for the Fall semester! I wasn't sure really what my plans were when I moved out here (literately told my mom I'd be going to Calgary the summer I graduated and then left two weeks after!) but I'm glad I'm here! It's only been a year and a half since I've moved here and I can't see my life without the mountains anymore! :love:

I read in your earlier post that you might hear back from an emergency animal hospital depending on your schedule. How did that turn out? I love working E.R! It's a lot of hard work, especially since we are taking on a position that deals with a lot of the "dirty work" but it really gives you the exposure on critical cases that I never saw in small animal clinics! Be ready for all things bodily fluid related!! Thankfully I have a pretty strong stomach for a lot of the things we see in hospital (i.e. popping abscesses, hit by cars, broken bones bent in unnatural ways lol). Everyday I learn something new and working at the bottom of the hospital allows me to observe what happens from the top down, so I hope to take a lot of the humility from the job to become a well-rounded vet (eventually!)

@noodle3, Yay another student like me! I'm currently on my 6th year of undergrad at well! And with taking only first year courses I feel like Billy Madison when he's back in grade school! Lol! Keep your spirits up! It know it can be hard (it is for me when I see all my friends are moving forward with their lives!) but this only proves to show how much we want to get in! My mantra that I tell myself is that it's not a race and that I'll get to where I need to go eventually!

Last edited:
Congratulations to everyone who got interviews at UCVM!!! (@annejoyi @Squishes @SARdoghandler) For those of you who don't know I am a first year at UCVM. I am so excited to be helping out on interview day :) I remember how nervous I was last year in the weeks leading up to the BIG DAY. All I can say is practice practice practice those questions from the veterinary ethics book. If anyone wants to practice with me, or just chat about the school and you live in Calgary I would be more than happy to meet you after school - we don't have any exams this week (crazy!) so its a perfect opportunity to practice (even if you still live further away I'd be happy to answer questions about the interview day). I can't wait to see everyone on the 12th, despite all the nerves its a really fun day. There were a lot of first time applicants in our class so don't let that discourage you - you can get in on your first try :) Everyone in our class is so excited to meet the new first year students - this is like our sneak peak ;) One last piece of advice - dress professionally. First impressions are so important and you will be meeting a lot of people on the 12th. Congratulations again for making this far!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you @capucinus1 for all the awesome advice! Will you be volunteering in the morning or afternoon session?

Also, I've been doing a few practise MMI questions everyday while recording myself and I find that my biggest problems are circling/repetitive thoughts and spending too much time looking for the right words to convey my answers. Next time I practise, I'm going to try and speak as if I'm casually talking to a classmate and hopefully my sentences will seem more natural and confident. For those that practised and/or experienced the MMI's, did you have any particular difficulties and what did you guys do to overcome them?

Hi @annejoyi ! Congrats on the interview! I would totally love to get together for coffee or something soemtime and practice for the MMI together as I'm also in Calgary. Maybe inbox me and we can try to work something out? I haven't done a lot of prep yet (which is terrifying!) but I have a big biochem midterm on Tuesday that I've been studying for instead. After that it's all hands on deck for the MMI!

Same thing for you, @capucinus1 , would love to meet and maybe pick your brain a bit? I'm definitely the over-worrier type so even though you can't say anything specific about the interview, some general thoughts and advice might be super helpful for me!

Aaaah. It's just starting to feel real now, especially since I've contacted my references for the letters. It is equally the most exciting and terrifying thing I've had happen in a long while hahaha

Welcome @annejoyi ! And congratulations on the interview!! It's great to see someone else in the same boat as me. I laughed pretty hard at the Billy Madison comment haha- I completely understand! Your experience sounds so cool as well. I'm sure that will be a big asset for you during your interviews. Just out of curiosity, what is the process for OVC? Is it MMI or panel style? When do you hear about interviews from them? I've never met anyone who has applied there and I realized that I have no idea how it works. If you were to get into all three, do you know which one you would choose?
Also, I really like your mantra. Some days I feel like I need to write something like that on my forehead so I don't forget :bang:. While it is hard watching most of my friends move on with their lives, I feel so fortunate to have found my passion in life (something that many of them missed out on). When I think about how badly I want this, it all seems OK.

Good to see you back here, @capucinus1 . I'm glad that you seem to be doing really well :). It's really nice of you guys to come back to the forums with advice even after getting in. The pre-vet/ vet med community is so awesome :D.

@noodle3 Thanks for the congrats!! OVC also does MMI interviews with the exact same format (eight 10 minute stations, 2 minutes to read; 8 minutes to talk). I am not too confident that I'll get an interview at OVC as there's something like 500 applicants for 115 spots. They also have very stringent rules on their academic prerequisites like having to take 5 courses at a time and that 60% of the course load has to be taken at the 300's level if you're in 3rd year. Before this cycle, the MCAT's were mandatory but since they've lifting it, I'm worried that this will give people who have considered vet school a greater incentive to apply! I hear back from OVC early May for an interview between May 16-20th. I hear that second round interviews for WCVM are around that time so I'm a bit worried there might be a potential conflict but that is a problem I'll worry about if by some miracle I end up getting three interview offers! If you know when WCVM's interviews are, please let me know!

Also, I have a question that is open for everyone. I am completely clueless as to what I should wear to a vet. school interview. I've read up on some forums and blogs pertaining to graduate school interview outfits and 90% of them advised to dress conservatively as I should be speaking for my personality and not the clothes I wear. One blog suggested to wear a blouse that matches the school colors for some subtle brownie points but I fail to see how interviewers might make the association that the reason I'm wearing a certain colored blouse is because I'm showing school spirit. One guy posted a Youtube video saying that he wore a blue suit jacket with a yellow dress shirt and suggested to pick one thing in our outfit to stand out.

I'm kind of leaning towards the guy's suggestion. I feel like when I walk into the waiting room on interview day, I'll be transported to a scene in The Matrix. And I feel like just have one extra thing that is unique to my style will make me feel more comfortable in my outfit. I was thinking perhaps adding some sort of accessory (a chunky, pastel colored necklace or a brooch to pin on my blazer). What's everyone's opinion on this? Also, I'd love to hear what current vet. students have to say about what they wore to their interview!

@annejoyi @SARdoghandler @capucinus1 I would really like to meet up with you guys as well! Unfortunately I'm not in Calgary at the moment but maybe if you guys are able to meet up on the days leading up to the interview? I'm thinking of flying out there a few days early. I would even be up to discuss scenarios/questions via email, Skype, FaceTime, anything! :)

@annejoyi, I've also been recording myself and talking through scenarios with people. I find that I'm very wordy and repetitive as well! I've always been a really wordy person so this is a tough habit to break. I've just been focusing more on using simple words and being concise. Last year I feel as though I didn't have a great structure when it came to answering the questions i.e. I just walked in the room and discussed my opinion/how I would proceed. This year I've made an outline on how I would like to approach the scenarios. I find this has helped me to formulate a more thorough answer and keep my train of thought clear. As for what to wear, I would go with something that you'll be comfortable in for most of the day. I wore a peach coloured blouse, black blazer, pencil skirt, tights and low black heels. Others were dressed more or less the same. I saw one guy dressed top to bottom cowboy style, hat and everything! (I wouldn't be able to pull that off hehe) I think this year I will go with a more "spring" coloured outfit i.e. a cream blazer, pastel blouse and maybe dress pants with nice flats. I felt that writing the essay in a skirt last year was a bit uncomfortable, maybe because I'm used to writing papers in sweatpants haha :p I think that adding your own personal touch is a great idea.

I will be helping out in the afternoon session! But I might see you there as you prepare for the afternoon tour :) @annejoyi

In terms of what to wear I would say the more professional the better. No jeans, no cotton T's, no runners, no ripped or torn clothing, no [cowboy] hats (funny how he made an impression on both of us @Squishes)...You should be dressing like a professional who is becoming a doctor. I wore a professional dress, navy blue, cut just above the knee, with 3/4 length sleeves. I wore it with nude stockings and matching navy blue pumps. I wore simple earrings, not too dangly and my hair was half up. Other women wore pants and a blazer - thats also perfectly fine just make sure it fits properly ;) Some women wore fancier ballet slipper shoes, and others like myself wore shoes with a modest heel. A chunky necklace like what is currently in style would be perfectly acceptable. Others wore it and it really made their outfits pop. Make sure that whatever you wear its comfortable so you are not fidgeting with the clothes and that you can walk in the shoes. I don't think the school's colours really matter since you are going to be interviewed by members of the community (most of whom graduated elsewhere)...you should however wear colours that suit your complexion.

I guess another few tips - arrive early, don't drink too much coffee, have a little something to eat in the morning to settle your stomach. There will be a short introduction and then you are taken to the area where you will be doing the MMI. Each station goes by so fast, before you know it you will be done. Don't worry about not doing well on one station, it won't hurt your chances of getting in. So if you mess up just move on and prepare for the next station - its super hard to do, but its what has to be done. I took a couple of deep breaths before I entered into the station room.

My approach to prep for the MMI was to follow the format of the ethics book. I practiced making sure I touched on all the stakeholders - the client, the patient, myself, the profession, and society - after weighing the considerations of each stakeholder I took my position on the matter. I really followed the approach of the ethics book because it helps structure your response. If you use the same skeleton for each MMI question you won't be as likely to forget anything. I really recommend reading the introduction as it is just as important as the case studies.

Another tip would be to not forget to prepare for the essay. When I was thinking about how to best prepare for the essay portion I decided to pick a few relevant topics that were in the news that pertained to veterinary medicine. For example, antibiotic resistance is a really hot topic in medicine. I researched the topic and familiarized myself with the key points. I then timed myself to write the essay (was it 45min?) with no aid. I soon figured out that I was writing way to much and had to cut back. I had gotten so used to writing lengthly detailed essays that I forgot I a much shorter time to not only write the essay, but review it. Simplify the structure of your essay - introduction (2-3 sentences), 2-3 body paragraphs, and a short 1-2 concluding sentences. I also figured out that you want to leave yourself a good 5-10 min to review the essay. After a few attempts with different topics I felt much more confident in my ability to write an essay in the allotted time. By the time the MMI came around it was like the 10th essay I had written in two weeks! I felt pretty prepared. Remember that you won't be on your computer and the keyboard and shortcuts that you are familiar with won't be there - you will be slower at typing on their computers than you would be with yours at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
@capucinus1, thanks for the MMI and outfit tips! It's all super helpful! Knowing what to expect, just logistically, the day of really eases my nerves!
Like you've suggested, I've started compiling a list of essay topics. I've been trying to gear many of the questions towards the four areas of emphasis that UCVM has. I'm finding it difficult to think of any questions pertaining to equine and production animal medicine, mostly due to the fact I have very little to no experience in both fields. I've been doing some Googling and have come across the issue of using hormones in dairy cows on various sites so that will definitely be something I'll practice writing about.

@LeilaFay @DPolaris @capucinus1 @SunnyAntia @sip011 + any other veterinary students I've missed, I would love to hear your guys' suggestions on what equine and large animal issues there are that pre-veterinary students should be aware of.

:) As always, thank you everyone for all your support and input!

@capucinus1, thanks for the MMI and outfit tips! It's all super helpful! Knowing what to expect, just logistically, the day of really eases my nerves!
Like you've suggested, I've started compiling a list of essay topics. I've been trying to gear many of the questions towards the four areas of emphasis that UCVM has. I'm finding it difficult to think of any questions pertaining to equine and production animal medicine, mostly due to the fact I have very little to no experience in both fields. I've been doing some Googling and have come across the issue of using hormones in dairy cows on various sites so that will definitely be something I'll practice writing about.

@LeilaFay @DPolaris @capucinus1 @SunnyAntia @sip011 + any other veterinary students I've missed, I would love to hear your guys' suggestions on what equine and large animal issues there are that pre-veterinary students should be aware of.

:) As always, thank you everyone for all your support and input!

While I am not a veterinary student, and I have never interviewed at UCVM, I do have a degree in agriculture and I have interviewed at WCVM, so I might be of some help to you!

If you don't already, have a general understanding of the roles that veterinarians play in production animal medicine. Even if you aren't asked this directly, it will probably be valuable to know as background info while answering other questions. It's also good to keep multiple frameworks in mind when answering some of these questions. For example, it might be a good idea to consider something from a welfare perspective and a production perspective. Some issues I can think of off the top of my head are gestation crates in pig farms, battery cages in laying hens, branding and castration of dairy cattle, the use of antibiotics in industrial farming, the transport of beef cattle, anything about feedlots, and any current events that you can find going on in Alberta regarding production animals (I can't really help you with that one). I also don't know how concerned UCVM is with knowledge on animal rights/welfare groups.

Maybe try and find a current event about horses? I find that many of their welfare concerns come and go with headlines (like the horse meat incident a few years ago). I would try and be knowledgeable about at least one issue in each of Canada's major production and large animal industries.

I'm sorry that I couldn't provide any specific feedback about UCVM. I hope I was helpful!

Reactions: 1 users
@annejoyi @SARdoghandler @capucinus1 I would really like to meet up with you guys as well! Unfortunately I'm not in Calgary at the moment but maybe if you guys are able to meet up on the days leading up to the interview? I'm thinking of flying out there a few days early. I would even be up to discuss scenarios/questions via email, Skype, FaceTime, anything! :)

@annejoyi, I've also been recording myself and talking through scenarios with people. I find that I'm very wordy and repetitive as well! I've always been a really wordy person so this is a tough habit to break. I've just been focusing more on using simple words and being concise. Last year I feel as though I didn't have a great structure when it came to answering the questions i.e. I just walked in the room and discussed my opinion/how I would proceed. This year I've made an outline on how I would like to approach the scenarios. I find this has helped me to formulate a more thorough answer and keep my train of thought clear. As for what to wear, I would go with something that you'll be comfortable in for most of the day. I wore a peach coloured blouse, black blazer, pencil skirt, tights and low black heels. Others were dressed more or less the same. I saw one guy dressed top to bottom cowboy style, hat and everything! (I wouldn't be able to pull that off hehe) I think this year I will go with a more "spring" coloured outfit i.e. a cream blazer, pastel blouse and maybe dress pants with nice flats. I felt that writing the essay in a skirt last year was a bit uncomfortable, maybe because I'm used to writing papers in sweatpants hahaI think that adding your own personal touch is a great idea.

Hi @Squishes! Congrats on the interview! As for meeting up, I would love to! I'll send you a PM so that we could try and find a date that works. Which city will you be coming in from?

A cream blazer and pastel blouse sounds so elegant and feminine! Hopefully the weather will reflect the "spring"ness your outfit because it's been cold and snowy today in Calgary! I hope it'll warm up by the time our interview rolls around. Are you in the morning or afternoon section?

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with wordiness! Recording myself has definitely helped pinpoint all the repetitive and cringe worthy things I end up saying under pressure. I can't imagine how much more cringe worth stuff I might say when I'm actually doing the interviews! I have formulated an outline too similar to the "STAR" method! It really does help keep the answer moving along!

fingers crossed for all of us in the forum interviewing for UCVM/WCVM! There's a lot of great support and advice here! We'll have to pay it forward by coming back and posting on this site when we get into vet school!

While I am not a veterinary student, and I have never interviewed at UCVM, I do have a degree in agriculture and I have interviewed at WCVM, so I might be of some help to you!

If you don't already, have a general understanding of the roles that veterinarians play in production animal medicine. Even if you aren't asked this directly, it will probably be valuable to know as background info while answering other questions. It's also good to keep multiple frameworks in mind when answering some of these questions. For example, it might be a good idea to consider something from a welfare perspective and a production perspective. Some issues I can think of off the top of my head are gestation crates in pig farms, battery cages in laying hens, branding and castration of dairy cattle, the use of antibiotics in industrial farming, the transport of beef cattle, anything about feedlots, and any current events that you can find going on in Alberta regarding production animals (I can't really help you with that one). I also don't know how concerned UCVM is with knowledge on animal rights/welfare groups.

Maybe try and find a current event about horses? I find that many of their welfare concerns come and go with headlines (like the horse meat incident a few years ago). I would try and be knowledgeable about at least one issue in each of Canada's major production and large animal industries.

I'm sorry that I couldn't provide any specific feedback about UCVM. I hope I was helpful!
:bow: @noodle3, you are the sensei to my grasshopper. Those are great starting points for me. Thank you for sharing! :bookworm: Now to read up on all things large animal related in two weeks!

How was your first interview with WCVM? Is there anything you would do differently if you get an interview offer this year? :)

:bow: @noodle3, you are the sensei to my grasshopper. Those are great starting points for me. Thank you for sharing! :bookworm: Now to read up on all things large animal related in two weeks!

How was your first interview with WCVM? Is there anything you would do differently if you get an interview offer this year? :)

Great, I'm glad that I could help! If you have any questions that your research is unable to answer, feel free to message me.

My interview actually went pretty well. One thing I would do differently is to be completely mindful about not trying to answer questions I don't know the answer to. When they asked me about current events (something they seem to do during almost everyone's interview), I didn't know as much about what I chose to talk about as I should have. They definitely noticed and called me out on it. Luckily I realized what I had done in time to save the situation by admitting that I could definitely read up on it more. My admittance of that seemed to be the right thing to say. I guess my advice to anyone interviewing with WCVM is to not bull**** because they know when you are. They don't expect you to know the answers to all of their questions, but they do expect you to be able to admit when you don't know something.

It reminds me of a question I saw on a forum (maybe this one?) a long time ago. A girl was asked about gestation crates in swine farming and if she thinks that they can be improved upon. She clearly didn't know what those were and instead of saying so, she made something up. The interviewer then replied something like "if you make that change it will squish the piglets". The girl was rattled by this and was complaining about it on the boards afterwards, but she still didn't realize her mistake: there are never piglets in gestation crates. They are only for gestation (hence the name). The interviewer could clearly see that she had no idea what she was talking about and completely sunk her on it. Don't be gestation crate girl.

(I'm sure she went on to be a successful person, but I think that is the most solid example of why you shouldn't make stuff up to sound knowledgeable that I have ever seen :p).