West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed on Oct 3! How about you?
Interviewed on the 10th! Hopefully I hear good news next week

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So after lots and lots of research I will not be putting down my deposit here at WVSOM. I had a great time at the interview and really enjoyed the amazing facilities and friendly people!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 10/01 was "deferred" admissions committee could not make up their minds :eyebrow:

Has anyone historically received an interview after initially being deferred?

Withdrew today. Hope one of you amazing people get my seat!

The interview schedule looks a little odd. It seems as though you could potentially have to wait around til the last interview slot if you are unlucky enough to be scheduled there?

The interview schedule looks a little odd. It seems as though you could potentially have to wait around til the last interview slot if you are unlucky enough to be scheduled there?
It seems that there is a morning group and an afternoon group, each composed of four interviewees. You're assigned to a daypart, but don't know your interview order until the day of. Perhaps someone who's already interviewed this cycle can confirm.

It seems that there is a morning group and an afternoon group, each composed of four interviewees. You're assigned to a daypart, but don't know your interview order until the day of. Perhaps someone who's already interviewed this cycle can confirm.
You are correct. 4 applicants interview in the morning, when the other 4 applicants arrive all 8 applicants take part in a MMI, then take a tour of the facilities, and eat lunch with a student ambassador. After lunch the 4 applicants that interviewed in the morning will be dismissed and the 4 remaining will take turns interviewing.

I mean your interactions throughout the day are part of the "deciding" of your status including the standardized encounter, tours, how you interact throughout the day, etc.

Last edited:
Which hotel do people usually stay for interviews and does WVSOM has special rates for students?

Members don't see this ad :)
It said in the email that there are activities that we participate in when we are not interviewing. Are the MMI's with eachother the activities? This isn't part of the 'deciding' interview, right? Theres also those simulated scenarios as well...
I interviewed here the first week. The simulated scenarios are recorded and the committee reviews them. You won't be interacting with other interviewees the day of the interview during the MMI-style portion - they have standardized portrayers. I think the 'activities' they are referring to are the tour and lunch with students.

Which hotel do people usually stay for interviews and does WVSOM has special rates for students?

If this might be helpful for anyone.
Quality Inn: $79
Super 8: $60
Holiday Inn: $91

Book early and ask for student rate! Super 8 was out of rooms for tonight already.

Holiday Inn was excellent. I paid the extra $20 and got a great room with comfy bed and pillows, a nice tv, and good free breakfast.

Holiday Inn was excellent. I paid the extra $20 and got a great room with comfy bed and pillows, a nice tv, and good free breakfast.
Good! I'm staying there tonight! On my way to Lewisburg. Just knocked out my Marshall interview!

I thought the interview consisted of a single 30 minute interview and 2 simulated scenarios. Are they healthcare related scenarios or can it be anything?

We signed a non-disclosure agreement. Wait and see, it wasn't anything unreasonable.

Reactions: 1 users
That sounds good. i'm still debating whether or not I'm going to fly from Washington DC or rent a car and do the drive. It sounds like its going to be a 4-5 hour drive if thats the route I take :eek:
do not go above 80 in Virginia. I repeat, do not go above 80. Its reckless driving there, even though the speed limit is 70.

Good luck on interview :)

Reactions: 1 users
That sounds good. i'm still debating whether or not I'm going to fly from Washington DC or rent a car and do the drive. It sounds like its going to be a 4-5 hour drive if thats the route I take :eek:
I drove from Indiana. It's a really nice drive and you get to see the area/landscape. If you have the time I'd say save a couple bucks and drive.

Had an incredible day here! So impressed with everything this place has to offer.

how long did it take you all to change from "Decision pending" to something else? Mine has been stuck at that for a couple of weeks now
They told us 2 to 3 weeks for a decision after the interview today.

how long did it take you all to change from "Decision pending" to something else? Mine has been stuck at that for a couple of weeks now
EDIT: Mine was there for less than 2 weeks before being offered an interview (email came a day or so after the status change).

Last edited:
Mine was about 2 weeks I believe from submission to ii

I have an interview invite at WVSOM but have already been accepted to ACOM. I am trying to narrow down which interviews are worth going to considering the acceptace. Anyone care to make a case for WVSOM? I would REALLY appriciate it.

I have an interview invite at WVSOM but have already been accepted to ACOM. I am trying to narrow down which interviews are worth going to considering the acceptace. Anyone care to make a case for WVSOM? I would REALLY appriciate it.
Well first tell us about yourself, what kind of medicine you like, what kind of atmosphere you want, what matters to you in a school, etc.

Well first tell us about yourself, what kind of medicine you like, what kind of atmosphere you want, what matters to you in a school, etc.
I grew up in SoCal and currently live in vegas. I want to go into ob, peds, or infectious disease. I would like the option to stay in one place for 4 years. I don't have any major wants or needs, I'm just looking for the right fit

I was accepted to ACOM as well and interviewed at WVSOM last week. WVSOM and ACOM have a lot of the same things to offer as far as technology goes. (I believe ACOM modeled their anatomy lab after WVSOM). I generally thought that WVSOM and ACOM were very comparable except for the fact that WVSOM has been around for longer. I did like the area of WVSOM better because it is in a small town, but that's just my preference.

I grew up in SoCal and currently live in vegas. I want to go into ob, peds, or infectious disease. I would like the option to stay in one place for 4 years. I don't have any major wants or needs, I'm just looking for the right fit
Any preference on location? WVSOM is in a beautiful small town and the campus campus is large and has lots of green space. WVSOM has a lot going for it- amazing facilities, a family like environment where everyone knows you and is so friendly, and a focus on creating great doctors. I can't compare to ACOM, but they would prepare you for a career in anything really. Things to look at: cost of attendance, COMLEX scores, residency placement (rural/urban), where rotations happen, if you're interested in international rotations.

They told us 2 to 3 weeks for a decision after the interview today.
oh I have yet to even be invited to an interview haha. It has been stuck like that for a few weeks. How long did it take for you to get an ii after submitting your secondary/complete app?

EDIT: Mine was there for less than 2 weeks before being offered an interview (email came a day or so after the status change).

well hopefully I get an update soon! fingers crossed.

Accepted!!!! Just checked the portal, couldn't wait for the letter. Thanks to the tip from my brother in law. I'm so stoked, I could see my family living here for sure. I guess we'll see what happens with the other schools I'm waiting on. Wvsom was awesome to visit and if it wasn't 2000 miles away it'd be my number 2. I just might end up here and I'd be more than happy if I did.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!!!! Just checked the portal, couldn't wait for the letter. Thanks to the tip from my brother in law. I'm so stoked, I could see my family living here for sure. I guess we'll see what happens with the other schools I'm waiting on. Wvsom was awesome to visit and if it wasn't 2000 miles away it'd be my number 2. I just might end up here and I'd be more than happy if I did.

When did you interview?

For those who have been to an interview, just a generic question. Did you guys bring a folder, notepad, pen, etc or was it not needed?

For those who have been to an interview, just a generic question. Did you guys bring a folder, notepad, pen, etc or was it not needed?
Definitely wasn't needed. The interview was really relaxed and they give you a pretty good packet of info that answered most of my questions.

I know it's a bit early, but is anyone accepted looking at housing yet? I'm trying to get a good deal and I think I've found one for 2 people. Anyone interested message me please!

Last edited:
Has anyone who interviewed on or later than 10/10 heard back yet?