West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who interviewed, has your checklist popped up as "decision pending" right after, or does that not bode very well for me...?

For those who interviewed, has your checklist popped up as "decision pending" right after, or does that not bode very well for me...?

Decision pending their recommendations to the committee based on your interview. Meaning no decision yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten their acceptance letter in the mail yet? I'm at a point where I'm doubting the portal saying accepted student. When does the neuroticness end lol.

Has anyone gotten their acceptance letter in the mail yet? I'm at a point where I'm doubting the portal saying accepted student. When does the neuroticness end lol.
CALM DOWN! You were accepted 2 days ago. I got mine the Friday after the portal changed to accepted. Easy grasshopper!

Reactions: 2 users
My acceptance letter said I still needed to finish 4 hours of physics classes! Hahaha I called and they said it was mistake I was so relieved! Just submitted my first deposit the other day :)

Reactions: 1 user
They sent out acceptances today? Or was your portal updated tuesday and you are just checking now?

Is it too late to send in secondaries to schools? I got secondaries about two weeks ago and have had exams and other orgs that I'm on the exec board of. So i didnt have time to submit or sit down and write any of the prompts. I hope my chances aren't too diminished if i submit secondaries now.

Nah, you're fine. I sent in my secondaries the second week in October last year and still ended up with an acceptance.

@Tri4thlete Thank you!

Also what is the difference between rural care and urban care? Just the location right? techniques and education is generally the same ?

There are a few unique aspects to both if you really think about it. Typically rural physicians have a larger scope of practice because, well, they are often the only physician for miles and miles. The patient base will be different, which skews how a physician practices. The policies and procedures of the particular hospital/clinic will be different as well. Urban physicians will have access to many specialties for referrals within a short radius. The list goes on my friend :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First time posting here. I'm interviewing on NOV 5th...

Still need to fill out my secondary!!! Congrats to all of the accepted students!!

Is it too late to send in secondaries to schools? I got secondaries about two weeks ago and have had exams and other orgs that I'm on the exec board of. So i didnt have time to submit or sit down and write any of the prompts. I hope my chances aren't too diminished if i submit secondaries now.
Not too late at all! Let 'em fly!

Alright so here's my review of today at my interview. A big thanks to @Deranged Medic for canceling and giving me your open spot. I was so surprised by this school!! In a nutshell: holy crap there is a real campus with lots of buildings and crazy amazing technology. The atmosphere is amazing and the learning environment is friendly and collaborative.

The long: the interview groups are kept small and the whole day has an intimate feel, from the second you walk in. The admissions staff make you feel welcome and want you to ask questions and learn about the school. The students I met were very positive and did not have many complaints besides tuition. It was amazing that the admissions person knew every student who came up and said hi, and even the President welcomed us. The day was very relaxing and I felt was an honest showcase of the school. Even my interview was excellent- they had very obviously read my file and were interested in learning more about the things I put in my application. Overall an amazing day and a pleasant surprise. This place is a hidden gem :D Hoping for an acceptance!

Last edited:
For those of you who have been accepted, did you receive an e-mail saying that there was an update on your portal or did you just happen to look?

For those of you who have been accepted, did you receive an e-mail saying that there was an update on your portal or did you just happen to look?
Just look! Aka refresh every 5 seconds on Tuesday

HOLY MOLY is this REAL! I am FINALLY going to be a doctor!....officially accepted (btw... thanks @yankees527 , did exactly what you said and kept refreshing!) Interviewed on 9/26

Reactions: 3 users
Also officially accepted. This is beyond me right now, it feels absolutely surreal. SO happy.

What should the approximate wait time be for when you submit your secondary until when you are on the lookout for an interview date?

After 7 weeks my primary still hasn't been released to schools...killing me! But hope to hear back from here, OOS, but grew up in WV, 3.7/32, non-trad.

Anyone know where I can find a match list? I found one from earlier years. But if anyone knows about an early let me know!

Congratulations to everyone, as acceptance letters start going out I want to invite anyone who decides to join us at WVSOM next summer to look up the Facebook group "WVSOM class of 2019" its a small group now but we should start seeing some growth as the year draws to an end and people get through their interviews.

Is it possible to get in-state tuition after a year??!

Is it possible to get in-state tuition after a year??!

Wow that is hilarious. I literately just got off the phone after asking admissions the same exact question.. and the sad answer is no.

Wow that is hilarious. I literately just got off the phone after asking admissions the same exact question.. and the sad answer is no.
Damn. $20,000 tuition looks so much more attractive.

Damn. $20,000 tuition looks so much more attractive.

Honestly, It does but depends which school. I think I know the one you're referring to. Working in healthcare I have heard way too much stigma about some certain schools from graduates and I must say it weighs in on the price vs attending a cheaper school.

Seriously I was about to ask that exact question @Fedxup too! OUHCOM encourages you to switch residency it seems.

Anyone know where I can find a match list? I found one from earlier years. But if anyone knows about an early let me know!
Can you post the match lists that you found here in a link. Thanks so much!

Congratulations to everyone, as acceptance letters start going out I want to invite anyone who decides to join us at WVSOM next summer to look up the Facebook group "WVSOM class of 2019" its a small group now but we should start seeing some growth as the year draws to an end and people get through their interviews.

As requested before, please post the actual Facebook link to the page. I have searched for that group and have been unable to find it.

I Just withdrew my II. Hope it goes out to someone here soon!

I got some questions about this school!
Any current students willing to PM me???

Thanks!

supplemental submitted on 9/2. complete silence from this school ever since. My app status still says "in process," and my decision still says "decision pending". Could it be because I'm OOS??

supplemental submitted on 9/2. complete silence from this school ever since. My app status still says "in process," and my decision still says "decision pending". Could it be because I'm OOS??
I am in the same boat and I really think being OOS has alot to do with it.

Sounds better than decision deferred.

I am in the same boat and I really think being OOS has alot to do with it.
You'll be fine OOS. The interview groups are small so they probably send out invites slowly. My group of 8 only had one in state.

Last edited:
Ya, they "prefer" students that are from WV, but if you look at the stats like 60-70% of the students at WVSOM are OOS, myself included. I don't think they are as picky as say Texas or Ohio DO schools.

II! Who's joining me September 12th??

How did the interview go? I looked at the schedule for interview day. There is something called Standardized Applicant Encounters. Can you explain what that is please?

Well guys good luck, on the interviews. I was accepted from last years alternate list after a late application and hope things go smoother for everyone getting things done early in the cycle. Hope to see you at WVSOM next year, if you have any questions about anything feel free to ask.

Can you shed some light on how the curriculum works in the second year? Is it more TBL style or are there still lectures?

They request that interviewees be pretty low key about what the SAE actually is to keep it fair for everyone. It really is just what they say in the itinerary - 2 quick scenarios and you interact with someone based on the scenario. It's actually kind of a nice change from the traditional interview. I enjoyed it. You have nothing to worry about!