West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As long as your application is submitted and processed by the office, I would say not worry about it. In short, I have no idea what it is lol!

Received an interview 10/10! Hope to see some of you guys out there

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what it means where it says "Application Preference" in the application checklist? It says Application Preference: 1 on mine.
Mine said that too and got an ii i think its a good sign:)

Hi everyone,

Quick Q:
So I have looked at their website and it says that they have this new PBL system( I think its called OPP) . . . .but I haven't found anything on their Lecture Based System.

1)So I was wondering have they completely changed over to the PBL system? or do they still offer both?
2)How easy is it to transfer from PBL to Lecture based?( Or is it that you decide for your time in medical school?)

3)Supposing they ask me, "which track would you use and why? What are the disadvantages of the other track that would prevent you from going into it?"

4)Supposing you were to answer Lecture Based . . ..is that viewed as a negative?
5)How would you pick one of the tracks without being to negative about the other?

6)Finally, is the PBL system at WVSOM just like LECOM? Is there more of a support?

Sorry for the many questions! Answers greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone,

Quick Q:
So I have looked at their website and it says that they have this new PBL system( I think its called OPP) . . . .but I haven't found anything on their Lecture Based System.

1)So I was wondering have they completely changed over to the PBL system? or do they still offer both?
2)How easy is it to transfer from PBL to Lecture based?( Or is it that you decide for your time in medical school?)

3)Supposing they ask me, "which track would you use and why? What are the disadvantages of the other track that would prevent you from going into it?"

4)Supposing you were to answer Lecture Based . . ..is that viewed as a negative?
5)How would you pick one of the tracks without being to negative about the other?

6)Finally, is the PBL system at WVSOM just like LECOM? Is there more of a support?

Sorry for the many questions! Answers greatly appreciated!

All your can be answered by me saying that they don't have a PBL system. It is called PPC and its lectures, team work, etc.. not PBL so don't worry about PBL. (sounds like you want lecture based.)

All your can be answered by me saying that they don't have a PBL system. It is called PPC and its lectures, team work, etc.. not PBL so don't worry about PBL. (sounds like you want lecture based.)

What is PPC supposed to be exactly?
Cause at LECOM they were saying that PBL comes after 10 weeks of anatomy. Then basically, a group of students figure out what to work on, how to solve a patient's case. So for example, the students would be given info like "vital signs,CBC etc" and they would have to literally comment on each line and come together with some kind of conclusion.

This is what they said in the 2013-2014 College Catalog:
The PPC curriculum is based on the most common ways that patients present to a physician.

What does that mean?
So for example, is PPC something where we are presented, for example a patient's CBC and taught "how to interpret"?
I see on the interview feedback that half respondents interview in groups, half 1-1 . . .I am wondering is this because of the new curriculum?

Thanks for your reply Fedxup :)
Sorry for the many questions

What is PPC supposed to be exactly?
Cause at LECOM they were saying that PBL comes after 10 weeks of anatomy. Then basically, a group of students figure out what to work on, how to solve a patient's case. So for example, the students would be given info like "vital signs,CBC etc" and they would have to literally comment on each line and come together with some kind of conclusion.

This is what they said in the 2013-2014 College Catalog:
The PPC curriculum is based on the most common ways that patients present to a physician.

What does that mean?
So for example, is PPC something where we are presented, for example a patient's CBC and taught "how to interpret"?
I see on the interview feedback that half respondents interview in groups, half 1-1 . . .I am wondering is this because of the new curriculum?

Thanks for your reply Fedxup :)
Sorry for the many questions
Although I hope I am wrong and there is more of the latter, in short it is a fancy name for lecture based classes with some patient-doctor interaction based learning. And No problem for the questions. PBL is exactly as you described but basically you are learning biochem, pharm, microbio,etc (all the regular med. school classes) as you "solve" the case presented to you.

Here is a link: http://www.wvsom.edu/Academics/Curriculum

I don't attend WVSOM so I can't comment on the specifics but I would assume it is not like PBL and mostly lecture based.

The curriculum does sound very interesting to me.

Although I hope I am wrong and there is more of the latter, in short it is a fancy name for lecture based classes with some patient-doctor interaction based learning. And No problem for the questions. PBL is exactly as you described but basically you are learning biochem, pharm, microbio,etc (all the regular med. school classes) as you "solve" the case presented to you.

Here is a link: http://www.wvsom.edu/Academics/Curriculum

I don't attend WVSOM so I can't comment on the specifics but I would assume it is not like PBL and mostly lecture based.

The curriculum does sound very interesting to me.

Yes yes I agree! PPC does sound interesting to me too, now that I look at it.
Thanks for your responses!

Reading about this school is getting me pumped to interview here. Looks like a fantastic place

Hi all,

I'm from WV and just wanted to wish everyone luck as well as mention that if anyone is driving up from the north, there are tolls on the way to Lewisburg, so remember to bring cash!

Reactions: 3 users
My letters haven't been marked for two weeks now. Should I shoot them an e-mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
My letters haven't been marked for two weeks now. Should I shoot them an e-mail?
I don't think they download your letters until they are considering you for an interview, but I an not exactly sure on that

23 MCAT, sGPA 3.25, cGPA 3.5

Should I even apply here? Is there still time for me to retake the MCAT?

This directly from their website:

Any letters submitted via Interfolio or Virtual Eval can be accessed and reviewed by our office but are not printed or posted to your online checklist until you are officially invited for an interview.

My letter of recommendations (sent via Interfolio) just got posted on my checklist. Does this mean that I have an interview coming my way? Any insight on this will be appreciated. Thanks!

Any letters submitted via Interfolio or Virtual Eval can be accessed and reviewed by our office but are not printed or posted to your online checklist until you are officially invited for an interview.

My letter of recommendations (sent via Interfolio) just got posted on my checklist. Does this mean that I have an interview coming my way? Any insight on this will be appreciated. Thanks!
check your portal, sounds promising though

YUP! thats exactly what happened to me! Congrats!!

Oh wow, congrats! That's exciting. Do you by chance remember how long it took you to receive your II after your LORs were posted?
the next day. You will see the status change to " interview granted-x/x/2014", and another email a few days later after that telling you to submit more paperwork and the 2ndary fee!

Oh wow, congrats! That's exciting. Do you by chance remember how long it took you to receive your II after your LORs were posted?
Also make sure you check your spam folder. For some reason my gmail account sorted it as spam...I got lucky that on the same day I was sorting through my spam folder I happened to get an interview invite

Anybody interview here have an insight on what the schedule is like and what to expect?

Hi everyone! 3.41 cgpa, 3.17 sgpa, 26 MCAT (10 PS, 7 V, 9 BS). Does anyone know how WVSOM looks at multiple MCAT scores? Do they just look at the most recent score or do they take highest scores from subsections?

I'm filling out the secondary right now. This is the first one I'm filling out since there is no fee (hopefully I'd have to pay later! :D) How long did you spend on your first secondary? I'm not sure if I should send it as soon as possible or sleep on it for a couple of nights and edit some? I'm kind of overwhelmed with the secondaries I've gotten so far (since I applied to so many schools...)and I'd really like to kill the secondaries to make up for my mediocre stats. However I don't want to spend too much time on them either and send it in quickly. =/

Just got this email:

If you were asked to arrive at 8:00 a.m. you are a part of the “AM Group”.

If you were asked to arrive at 10:00 a.m. you are a part of the “PM Group”.

AM GROUP:

8:00 a.m. Welcome “AM Group”

(30 minute interview in the Admissions Center with each individual applicant)

8:30 – 9:00 a.m. First morning applicant interview

9:00 – 9:30 a.m. Second morning applicant interview

9:30 – 10:00 a.m. Third morning applicant interview

10:00 – 10:30 a.m. Fourth morning applicant interview

10:30 – 11:40 a.m. Orientation for Standardized Applicant Encounters - SAE’s

(This experience will involve (2) two encounters with standardized portrayers, which will last approximately 5 minutes each. You will be given a scenario and interact accordingly. Also, you will receive a tour of the Clinical Evaluation Center and receive information concerning Standardized and Simulated Patients).

11:40 – 12:00 p.m. Pictures in the Photo Lab

Noon – 1:00 p.m. Lunch with students

1:00 – 2:00 p.m. Campus tour (optional)

PM GROUP:

10:00 a.m. Welcome “PM Group”

10:30 – 11:40 a.m. Orientation for Standardized Applicant Encounters - SAE’s

(This experience will involve (2) two encounters with standardized portrayers, which will last approximately 5 minutes each. You will be given a scenario and interact accordingly. Also, you will receive a tour of the Clinical Evaluation Center and receive information concerning Standardized and Simulated Patients).

11:40 – 12:00 p.m. Pictures in the Photo Lab

Noon – 1:00 p.m. Lunch with students

1:00 – 2:00 p.m. Campus tour (optional)

(30 minute interview in the Admissions Center with each individual applicant)

2:15- 2:45 p.m. Fifth afternoon applicant interview

2:45 – 3:15 p.m. Sixth afternoon applicant interview

3:15 – 3:45 p.m. Seventh afternoon applicant interview

3:45 – 4:15 p.m. Eighth afternoon applicant interview

NOTE: We will let you know in what order you will interview when you arrive on campus.

Again, we look forward to meeting you soon!

Have a safe trip to Lewisburg!

Does anyone know what the standardized applicant encounters portion will be like?

Yea i want to know too. Looking at older threads they didnt have them
Last year they just toured the Clinical center, so this is new, they also changed the interviews from group to separate interviews.

Last year they just toured the Clinical center, so this is new, they also changed the interviews from group to separate interviews.
I dont think they were ever group interviews

Alrighty... This standardized applicant encounter thing is gonna psych me out. I thought I took a day OFF work for this?!?

Seriously though, I have no idea what this is. I've never heard of any other school doing it...

Alrighty... This standardized applicant encounter thing is gonna psych me out. I thought I took a day OFF work for this?!?

Seriously though, I have no idea what this is. I've never heard of any other school doing it...
I feel like its maybe a mini MMI?

I am part of the AM group.. Pretty nervous because of all the literature I keep reading up on interviews saying you have to be prepared with answers packed and ready to go. Can't seem to remember what I need to say word for word. On a side note, can someone tell me what MMI means?

I am part of the AM group.. Pretty nervous because of all the literature I keep reading up on interviews saying you have to be prepared with answers packed and ready to go. Can't seem to remember what I need to say word for word. On a side note, can someone tell me what MMI means?
MMI = Multiple mini interview. Basically 6-10 short interviews with scenarios given and you discuss the action you would take and why.

Don't memorize word for word. Outline the basics and then let it flow. You don't want to sound rehearsed.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a type of interview where you're given scenarios where it measures your communication skills or ethical reasoning and you have to act accordingly, usually with an actor

MMI = Multiple mini interview. Basically 6-10 short interviews with scenarios given and you discuss the action you would take and why.

Don't memorize word for word. Outline the basics and then let it flow. You don't want to sound rehearsed.

Thanks! I'd actually prefer that over the typical tell me about yourself question, i'm no good at talking about myself.

It's a type of interview where you're given scenarios where it measures your communication skills or ethical reasoning and you have to act accordingly, usually with an actor

Thanks for an informative reply!

i couldn't find an osteopathic physician to follow, should I still submit my secondary and hope for the best? lol

i couldn't find an osteopathic physician to follow, should I still submit my secondary and hope for the best? lol
They require a DO letter, no exceptions.

However, you don't pay the secondary fee until they invite you to interview so I guess you have nothing to lose if you do their secondary.

I just withdrew from my interview on September 15. I know it's a little late notice, but I hope one of you can get that slot!

I'm showing up a couple days early, (tomorrow) and I'm down to meet up with people to eat/check out the town. PM me for contact info!

Just got decision deferred from here. I really would have liked to go here. 3.47sGPA and 3.5 cGPA 24 MCAT. I'm planning on retaking the MCAT for next cycle. I also have a few classes that I'm retaking which are marked retake in progress, so hopefully I get a shot after Fall grades are in.

Those with II's: When you received an email containing possible interview dates, did you reply via email or phone? I emailed her back and haven't been given a concrete date yet.

Those with II's: When you received an email containing possible interview dates, did you reply via email or phone? I emailed her back and haven't been given a concrete date yet.

They only give you one interview date which is shown in the portal. You will then receive an email telling you to reply to that email to confirm your interview attendance.

They only give you one interview date which is shown in the portal. You will then receive an email telling you to reply to that email to confirm your interview attendance.
Odd. Mine was done differently. I'll have to check the portal too.

I emailed Angie. I'm sure if you call them they'll respond quicker though. Make sure your portal didn't already give you an interview date before you email them (mine didn't and so I emailed Angie when she gave me a list of interview dates I would prefer)

Reactions: 1 user