West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone!

I just submitted my secondary today as well as a pre-med committee LOR. The DO that I shadowed has not sent in a letter yet. Are all letters needed for them to review the secondary and offer an II? I was looking at the application summary on the portal and it says that the letters are "Preferred prior to or at time of interview". Anyone care to clarify?

Members don't see this ad.

Got my II on Friday and confirmed the date for Oct 8 at 10 am. I'm so stoked, I have an interview at Lecom-Seton Hill the day before. 3.6 GPA mcat 7/9/9 25, non traditional student. Anyone else interviewing on that day? Hope to meet some of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will it make a big difference between interviewing on 10/15 vs. 10/30? I have the choice of interviewing on 10/15, but I would like to reschedule to a later date due to a conference.

Just got Accepted! I interviewed yesterday and got accepted this afternoon!

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats!!!
Mind sharing your interview experience? And what this think with standardized applicant encounter is ?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats!!!
Mind sharing your interview experience? And what this think with standardized applicant encounter is ?
Congrats!

and yes, I am also curious about the SAE...?

Congrats, that is AWESOME! What a turnaround time!

Hopefully us Friday interviews hear something the following week if they are moving this quickly!

The SAE was not very difficult. We were given 2 scenarios that did not deal with medicine at all (workers compensation and a car accident confrontation) and the actors were quite convincing.

My interviewers told me the SAE was not in any way a MMI and it wasn't. The best thing to do is read the scenario prompts carefully and just be natural and polite and you'll be fine!

I'm sure this has been asked. Can anyone graciously provide the interview questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted Secondary a few days ago. What is my chance?
3.75 sGPA, 3.12 CGPA, 29 MCAT, from Virginia .

Good Luck Guys

Goofed - thought I had submitted my secondary two weeks ago - ugh..... just got it officially in today. How bad is that?

Anybody interviewing this Friday and want to grab some dinner Thursday night?

For anyone that interviewed already - what hotel did you stay in?

For anyone that interviewed already - what hotel did you stay in?

I stays at the Holiday Inn Express. Fridge and Microwave in every room, pool, etc..and it was about a 3 minute drive from the school.

Good luck man tell us how the interview/SAE went!
It was great. They have 2 interview groups, and I was in the early group. It's a VERY laid back day and the staff and faculty are awesome. I felt so at home all day long. The anatomy lab is INCREDIBLE. It is absolutely gigantic and very well set up. I'd love to tell you about the SAE but they swear us to secrecy - suffice it to say you have nothing to worry about!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got my acceptance letter this morning, Interviewed on Monday the 8th. So excited for this school.
Congrats on the acceptance. I interview here on October 8th. Maybe we'll be classmates, looking forward to the interview.

It was great. They have 2 interview groups, and I was in the early group. It's a VERY laid back day and the staff and faculty are awesome. I felt so at home all day long. The anatomy lab is INCREDIBLE. It is absolutely gigantic and very well set up. I'd love to tell you about the SAE but they swear us to secrecy - suffice it to say you have nothing to worry about!
Good luck to you well know tuesday hopefully!

Hello all - Getting worried... 3.23s/3.22 overall and 27 MCAT - so not great, but was from a really hard school, honest :)!). I have not received an II - do you think I still have a chance here?

Hello all - Getting worried... 3.23s/3.22 overall and 27 MCAT - so not great, but was from a really hard school, honest :)!). I have not received an II - do you think I still have a chance here?
I don't. GPA needs to go up or have something else to show you can handle medical school. Difficulty of your school rarely holds weight with any admission department.

I have a friend with the same exact stats and got a II. Don't give up! Give them a call and see what you can do in the meantime.

I don't. GPA needs to go up or have something else to show you can handle medical school. Difficulty of your school rarely holds weight with any admission department.
Thanks for your honest response, bummer.

Good luck to you well know tuesday hopefully!
I'm already freaking out waiting. I wasn't 100% sold on WVSOM before the interview but it was in my top 5. Then I got through the interview day and was absolutely blown away by the anatomy lab, clinical ed center and the staff. This would be a wonderful place to get a medical education, so I'm really hoping I get a shot!

I'm already freaking out waiting. I wasn't 100% sold on WVSOM before the interview but it was in my top 5. Then I got through the interview day and was absolutely blown away by the anatomy lab, clinical ed center and the staff. This would be a wonderful place to get a medical education, so I'm really hoping I get a shot!
I agree it looked like an amazing place after the interview! Especially that anatomy lab and the huge clinical ed center

I regretfully declined my acceptance at WVSOM las cycle and I am still thinking about it. Incredible staff who seem to care about the wellbeing of their students... Very friendly atmosphere for what will be tough road ahead... I was accepted at a US MD school whose tuition is 18k/year less than WVSOM. I explained to WVSOM my situation and asked them if it will be possible to get some scholarship so I could decline my MD acceptance and accepted my seat at WVSOM, but they told me it would be difficult to get any break on the tuition. The school was at the bottom of my list at the beginning, and it became my #1 choice after my interview. I remember that I used to call them regularly regarding the status of my application and they didn't seem to be annoyed by it. All med schools should copy a page from WVSOM when it comes to the application process.....They were very helpful! However, at the end, it was difficult for me to justify almost that 80k overall COA and attend WVSOM. I know most med students are obsessed about prestige, but every other help you can get in med school matters and I truly believe that WVSOM is the kind of school that will go to the extra mile to help their students.

Disclaimer: I am doing very good where I am at now, but I fell in love with WVSOM...

GL to you guys/gals!

Last edited:
I regretfully declined my acceptance at WVSOM las cycle and I am still thinking about it. Incredible staff who seem to care about the wellbeing of their students... Very friendly atmosphere for what will be tough road ahead... I was accepted at a US MD school whose tuition is 18k/year less than WVSOM. I explained to WVSOM my situation and asked them if it will be possible to get some scholarship so I could decline my MD acceptance and accepted my seat at WVSOM, but they told me it would be difficult to get any break on the tuition. The school was at the bottom of my list at the beginning, and it became my #1 choice after my interview. I remember that I used to call them regularly regarding the status of my application and they didn't seem to be annoyed by it. All med schools should copy a page from WVSOM when it comes to the application process.....They were very helpful! However, at the end, it was difficult for me to justify almost that 80k overall COA and attend WVSOM. I know most med students are obsessed about prestige, but every other help you can get in med school matters and I truly believe that WVSOM is the kind of school that will go to the extra mile to help their students.

Disclaimer: I am doing very good where I am at now, but I fell in love with WVSOM...

GL to you guys/gals!
Prestige isn't so much a factor for me but they did mention during the interview yesterday that WVSOM had the highest board scores of all DO schools this year, which tells me that if I'm willing to put in the work I could do very well here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm interviewing very soon and I wanted to know if anyone had any advice on how I should answer this very easy question? "What brings you to Lewisberg?" My answer is pretty much I wanted to visit your school in hopes of becoming a student one day. But, is that really the type of answer they want? I'm also exploring the town the day before as a way to see the local attractions and see how much I'll truly like it since I might be living there one day. Thanks

Currently in the midst of the longest day of my life. I may not make it to decision day. I thought that pre-med neuroticism was overwith :nailbiting:

I just canceled my 9/29 interview due to an acceptance elsewhere. I wish you all the best of luck!

OK I had sent my LORs on June 28th but they only got updated today on the WVSOM portal today. Does that mean an II or they getting ready to reject me? My application was on pre-interview hold earlier.

OK I had sent my LORs on June 28th but they only got updated today on the WVSOM portal today. Does that mean an II or they getting ready to reject me? My application was on pre-interview hold earlier.
I'd say expect an II.

Oh man! I will be over the moon if I get an II. I am a major major underdog! Root for me! Fingers crossed.
That's what happened for me and from what others have said them as well. Mine were about a 3 day lag but I don't know why they'd update your letters if they were not interested. I'm cheering for ya buddy. You may wanna just log into your portal and click "application status". They list your interview date! Should say something along the lines of "you've been granted an interview on X/X/2014".

That's what happened for me and from what others have said them as well. Mine were about a 3 day lag but I don't know why they'd update your letters if they were not interested. I'm cheering for ya buddy. You may wanna just log into your portal and click "application status". They list your interview date! Should say something along the lines of "you've been granted an interview on X/X/2014".

Yes, I did go over the previous posts on this thread! This does look like a very good sign. Thanks buddy!

Last edited:
My application checklist was updated with my LORs today too! Man, I sure hope this means an interview!! Fingers crossed &&

Do they give you a choice of what day you interview? All my letters and everything were uploaded today so I'm expecting an invite but with work and other interviews my schedule is getting very rigid.

Do they give you a choice of what day you interview? All my letters and everything were uploaded today so I'm expecting an invite but with work and other interviews my schedule is getting very rigid.
I actually called about something related to my app and she gave me a choice on dates. Not sure about in other situations!

I actually called about something related to my app and she gave me a choice on dates. Not sure about in other situations!
You called to reschedule? What do you mean by something closely related to your app? Were they friendly about it? Congrats on the invite!

You called to reschedule? What do you mean by something closely related to your app? Were they friendly about it? Congrats on the invite!
My letters were classified incorrectly so I called and she told me she was about to invite me to interview! I was shocked haha