West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone please post the most recent avail data on residencies for WVSOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please post the most recent avail data on residencies for WVSOM?
I emailed Julian Arbaugh, the senior admissions counselor, and he sent me the residency placements for WVSOM over the past 10 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got off the alternate list today! Very excited! Can anyone provide me with any housing information/class Facebook page info? Better yet, is anyone looking for a roommate?

Reactions: 2 users
Got off the alternate list today! Very excited! Can anyone provide me with any housing information/class Facebook page info? Better yet, is anyone looking for a roommate?

Congrats! I just sent you a PM. We can chat and I can tell you what needs to be done in the mean time to get yourself acquainted.

Anyone with under a 500 MCAT mind sharing if you were accepted and what your GPA was and if there was anything "unusual"/ nontraditional about your app?

Can anyone recommend a site or place to purchase scrubs? Thanks in advance

No dress code? So are short and tshirts okay in the hot months and jeans and tshirts/hoodey ok in the cold months?

I'm going to buy a new wardrobe and have no idea. I plan to buy some dress stuff, of course, but I want to dress like the majority of the students do.

No dress code? So are short and tshirts okay in the hot months and jeans and tshirts/hoodey ok in the cold months?

I'm going to buy a new wardrobe and have no idea. I plan to buy some dress stuff, of course, but I want to dress like the majority of the students do.

During my interview day, I saw many students in "everyday" clothing. Nothing special, though I am sure they have a dress code for clinic/hospital days. That said, just don't wear something that will attract attention, common sense probably goes a long way here.

Members don't see this ad :)

You can wear all of the above.

Thanks, I was hoping I could wear shorts in the hotter months.

So how do you get text books since classes start before loans are given out? In my undergrad you could make a deal with the bookstore and they would let you buy the books and take it out of your loan when it arrives.

Is there anything like that at this school? When do loans generally get paid?

Thanks, I was hoping I could wear shorts in the hotter months.

So how do you get text books since classes start before loans are given out? In my undergrad you could make a deal with the bookstore and they would let you buy the books and take it out of your loan when it arrives.

Is there anything like that at this school? When do loans generally get paid?

Usually 2 weeks after classes start. We have been specifically told to hold off on buying books until we meet our mentor (this is for first year students)

source: http://www.wvsom.edu/About/campus-store

Can someone here comment on the Woodland Acres apartment complex across campus? Safety? Etc?

Safety as far as crime ? Let's be honest, there is no crime in Lewisburg period. You can live anywhere in town and be safe. I didn't live at Woodland Acres, but they are newer and probably one of the nicer/nicest places in town. Not to mention it's close to campus.

Can someone here comment on the Woodland Acres apartment complex across campus? Safety? Etc?
I live in woodland acres. It is definitely safe. It's a short walk to campus.

The management is pretty hands off. There is a good and bad to this. It's nice because you pretty much never hear from management other than a mass email once in a while. The bad part is maintenance can take a while. But we haven't had any maintenance too significant that needed done.

We live in a renovated townhouse and love it. There are also non-renovated townhouses or apartments for cheaper.

I would suggest sending someone to look at the different open places before you sign a contract. We looked at 3 before we moved in. Two were pretty beat up, but ours was pretty much spotless. Also call and ask what deals they are running, it can save you money.

As with all townhouses/apartments you can hear your neighbors a little, but it is reasonable and not too bad.

Animals are allowed.

They are very on top of snow removal in the winter, but in the summer the grass gets a bit long because it grows so fast in West Virginia.

We use the heater and AC daily and utilities are still pretty low priced.

Overall I recommend it. If you have any specific questions let me know.

so can any second years answer an omm question? Do we always have to take our shirts off or is it just when you are doing that body part?

so can any second years answer an omm question? Do we always have to take our shirts off or is it just when you are doing that body part?

No you don't always have to take your shirt off. If you are doing lower extremity OMT that day, you can keep your shirt on.

Most people just take their shirt off during the treatment and then put it back on right after. You may have to take it off a few times during a lab, but everyone is very respectful.

Anyone know what cafe is coming to the new student center? I heard rumors that it's going to be a Panera??? Can anyone confirm this?!!

What advice do you guys have for being placed on the alternate list pre-interview. Does this school take updates well- what kind of updates have you guys sent in? Any advice or information helps! Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
What advice do you guys have for being placed on the alternate list pre-interview. Does this school take updates well- what kind of updates have you guys sent in? Any advice or information helps! Thank you!
Yes they do. I sent them a letter of interest and received very positive feedback about it. I just submitted an additional D.O. LOR the other day. I am in "decision deferred" status as well.

Is anyone interviewing on the 20th? Monday of next week?