West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!:cat:

Members don't see this ad.

awesome school, really hoping to get some love here. Anyone from last year have any experience with them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely applying here....great, friendly staff, love their philosophy, once my application gets verified and my MCAT scores come back, my apps in there like swimwear ;)

Edit: I applied super late in the cycle (December) and took my MCAT hastily and stupidly, and didn't have a DO letter. But they were so kind- gave a secondary anyway bc of my pharmd and gave me another chance at the MCAT, but it was so late in the cycle. Their staff is super kind and understanding , they're, *gasp*, like actual caring people! They have compassion and I love the atmosphere they present

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely applying here....great, friendly staff, love their philosophy, once my application gets verified and my MCAT scores come back, my apps in there like swimwear ;)

Edit: I applied super late in the cycle (December) and took my MCAT hastily and stupidly, and didn't have a DO letter. But they were so kind- gave a secondary anyway bc of my pharmd and gave me another chance at the MCAT, but it was so late in the cycle. Their staff is super kind and understanding , they're, *gasp*, like actual caring people! They have compassion and I love the atmosphere they present

I agree with all the above =)

When I talked with them, they did say you are not allowed to interview without a DO letter.

I agree with all the above =)

When I talked with them, they did say you are not allowed to interview without a DO letter.

My girlfriend interviewed back in the 2012-2013 cycle at WVSOM w/o a DO letter. However, she had great ECs, decent stats, and good MD letters. They asked about the DO letter during the interview and she told them that she was just waiting on the DO to write the letter. She was waitlisted at WVSOM due to this and the doctor didn't submit the letter until almost April super late in the cycle. Luckily, she got into LECOM-B and is now a 3rd year in rotations. So unless they've changed it, they might interview you w/o the letter but you will have to have one for an acceptance.

The campus is in the middle of the mountains. It's amazing and beautiful! The people legitimately care and are optimistic and upbeat. The school used to be a military training facility, so they love military. With over 40 years experience there is a traditional feel and solid foundation at this school. The cadaver lab was the freshest air I have ever experienced in a lab and was massive! Also, they don't charge for a secondary unless you get an interview. I got accepted late into the cycle late year and am very excited to attend here. Good luck everyone and hope to see you all next year!

Reactions: 3 users
Just finished my first year at WVSOM, happy to field any questions you all may have. Good luck!

I heard there was a regional preference from this school but also they liked people who are from rural areas and are planning to serve there. I am not from the region but like the school and am from a rural area and plan to serve there after school. Will this help improve my chance at this school?

I think they do have a slight preference for WV students, but that's only because they want people to stay in the area to help alleviate the physician shortage here. Being born in an area makes you more likely to stick around. However, I think 60-70% of our student body is from out of state, myself including. I don't think they put that huge of an emphasis on where you are from. Also helps to be from a rural area, but have many classmates from the city.

So, in short, being out of state doesn't hurt you, being from WV helps you. Being from a city doesn't hurt you, being from a rural area and wanting to serve a rural area helps you.

Reactions: 1 user
This is my #1 choice of med school. Most of the doctors I have shadowed graduated from here and they are amazing. I am worried because I don't have the greatest GPA (3.25c, 3.35s) and my MCAT was pushed back to August so I will have to apply late in the cycle (I tested June 20th but the power went out and I'll be in the UK on a study abroad trip for the rest of this month). I'm hoping a good MCAT, my shadowing experience, good letters, and passion for rural medicine will make up for the GPA and let me get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished my first year at WVSOM, happy to field any questions you all may have. Good luck!
how was your first year and what qualities does this school have over other school? faculty, learning experience, resources, living expenses, technology?
and how are their rotation sites? Thank you for your time!

how was your first year and what qualities does this school have over other school? faculty, learning experience, resources, living expenses, technology?
and how are their rotation sites? Thank you for your time!

I really enjoyed my first year at WVSOM. The thing I love about WVSOM is it is only a medical school. There are no nursing students, PA students, undergrad students, etc. This means that the faculty devote all their time and energy into making sure you succeed. The campus is beautiful and the school does a good job making sure we have the latest technology and resources. I honestly had no complaints or issues over the last year.

The community is very tight-knit and the town is quaint. There is mutual respect between students and the community members. Lewisburg has everything you need. If you enjoy being outdoors, there are plenty of opportunities to camp, bike, hike, run, etc, in the area. Rent is a little high here in my opinion, but not as high as living in the city. If you are OK with not being right next to campus, you can find some decent apartments for a good price. I live 3 miles exactly from the school and pay 675$ per month. I know classmates who pay much more and some who pay less.

I will be a second year here in a few weeks so I can't give any first-hand experience on rotation sites, but I've heard that the rotation sites are pretty good. I personally think that no matter where you go for rotations, it will partially be what you make of it. If you are willing to put in hard work and independent study, then you will do well. For those of you that don't know, third year you MUST do rotations at a "statewide campus," which is a rotation site within the state of WV. During fourth year, you can either continue at a statewide site or you can go to a site of your choosing outside of WV.

Reactions: 4 users
thank you very much. We found this very helpful. How about research? are there opportunities for it?

Yes there are opportunities for research. I'm actually doing research right now. It's not going to be as good as going to a university medical school since they have many more resources, but the research here is still pretty good nonetheless. I was talking to one of our faculty the other day and he was interviewing at various osteopathic medical schools before he found at job at WVSOM. He said he really wanted a school with great research opportunities and apparently many of the other osteopathic schools he interviewed at had bleak options for research.

I emailed admissions today since I was kinda confused as to what the ordeal was with primaries. In not as many words they told me they would begin "downloading" applications in a few weeks... "Around mid July". And upon passing screening will receive log in and PINS for the supplemental.
The woman I emailed also was very kind and asked about one of the course work requirements on my application since I'm on quarters to make sure I satisfied he requirement. To echo what someone previously mentioned, it seems like the staff (even admissions) care a lot about their students. I'm excited to hear more from this place!

currently drowning in MD secondaries but after reading this thread i am stoked to submit a secondary for this school. grateful i got a large majority of my DO secondaries done already

This was by far my favorite secondary. Last year it was about ten short answer (only 200 word) questions that were fun and easy. Amazing school, easy application; so if you haven't already finished the application jump on it!

Last edited:
Has this school sent out secondaries yet? Been waiting :(

does anyone know what new mcat score would be ok for WV?

has anyone heard about or received any secondaries ??

Nope. Although last year this is the time where they started sending them out. Never know if it will be different with all of the AACOMAS problems though.

Still waiting on that secondary :/

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone gotten any emails or heard anything yet?

anyone know what the average yearly cost of living is in the area?

Basically national average.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 219
Here is another source. Basically the same thing. A score of 100 is national average.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 131
Where are the secondaries ????????????

Reactions: 2 users
How much are you planning to take out in student loans?

I am out of state, so tuition is 50k per year.

I have a wife and two kids to support. I also have a portion of my schooling covered by military for prior service, so my situation isn't the typical med student. I know many students that have rent under or around $500 per month. I can easily feed a family of 4 on under $200 per month as we eat at home or make meals to take to school.

I attached the breakdown for loans that the school sent us. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Loan Breakdown.png
    Loan Breakdown.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 162
I am out of state, so tuition is 50k per year.

I have a wife and two kids to support. I also have a portion of my schooling covered by military for prior service, so my situation isn't the typical med student. I know many students that have rent under or around $500 per month. I can easily feed a family of 4 on under $200 per month as we eat at home or make meals to take to school.

I attached the breakdown for loans that the school sent us. Hope this helps.
500 a month with or without roommates?

is the secondary prompt the same as last years?! I hope I am not writing the wrong secondary... help! somebody! :eek:

500 a month with or without roommates?

I pay $675 a month without roomates for a house and was way late into the game finding housing, so I'm sure you can get a place with roommates for anywhere $200 on up I you get housing early enough. I'm not really sure though, I never looked for housing with roommates.

I pay $675 a month without roomates for a house and was way late into the game finding housing, so I'm sure you can get a place with roommates for anywhere $200 on up I you get housing early enough. I'm not really sure though, I never looked for housing with roommates.
$675 FOR A HOUSE???
lol where i live, my 3 bd house is $2400

Aug 5th and still no secondaries??? Did WVSOM shut down?? lol

Aug 5th and still no secondaries??? Did WVSOM shut down?? lol

If I recall correclty, WVSOM only sends secondaries to people that they interview. So in this case, no news is good news, as you haven't been rejected yet.