Western c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bump for the hopefuls waiting on interview invites -- I just now got an email for an interview so I'm sure more are on the way!
I just did too!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got an interview too!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my interview invite this morning and I'm already confirmed for Saturday afternoon on October 29th. This is my first MMI interview and the first one I have to travel to because SGU let me Skype. So nervous but so excited! Who else will be there the 29th? Its weird to think we might be classmates one day!

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations! How exciting for all of you :) would you guys mind sharing when you applied?
I submitted my secondary 9/5, VMCAS verified 9/8, and Western received it on 9/12. And then 8/3 I got an "Application ready for review" email. Then interview invite 10/10. And interview on 10/29! :D

I just got my interview invite this morning and I'm already confirmed for Saturday afternoon on October 29th. This is my first MMI interview and the first one I have to travel to because SGU let me Skype. So nervous but so excited! Who else will be there the 29th? Its weird to think we might be classmates one day!
I will be there the 29th in the afternoon too!! Where are you traveling from?

I'm coming from Florida. Its a long haul for a day-trip but totally worth it! What about you?
Oh wow! That'll be a long trip! Would it be possible to fly in and back same day? Or are you going to stay in a hotel for a night? California is my home state, but I live in Northern Cali (Either an 8 hour drive or a 1.5 hour flight). I'll be flying haha. I wish we could have had a little more advanced notice though :arghh:, I already had plans to be out of town that weekend that I have to cancel obviously... but yes totally worth it!!

Congratulations! How exciting for all of you :) would you guys mind sharing when you applied?

My VMCAS and all was submitted in mid-August, received notice of application being submitted for review on 9/29 and interview invite 10/10.

Oh wow! That'll be a long trip! Would it be possible to fly in and back same day? Or are you going to stay in a hotel for a night? California is my home state, but I live in Northern Cali (Either an 8 hour drive or a 1.5 hour flight). I'll be flying haha. I wish we could have had a little more advanced notice though :arghh:, I already had plans to be out of town that weekend that I have to cancel obviously... but yes totally worth it!!

I'll probably stay for the weekend honestly. Leave friday after class and come back sunday. I can at least use the extra time to creep around Pomona a bit. :p

I wish they gave us more time to prepare too! Its such an expensive flight plus my semester is crammed. I am lucky they gave me the option of my one free-ish weekend the whole semester. Don't know what I will do if I get any more interview invites! ...not like I would complain if I did lol.

Does anyone know if it would be detrimental to miss the "optional" parts of the interview day? (The presentations, overviews, lunch, etc.). I really want to stay for all of this but it would make catching a flight back home really difficult. :( The schedule has it ending at 5:40pm and the flight I'm trying to catch is at 5:50pm out of ONT. That is the last flight home for the evening, so if I stay I would have to stay the night and leave the next morning. Congrats to everyone who got an interview invite! I'm so excited! :soexcited:

Does anyone know if it would be detrimental to miss the "optional" parts of the interview day? (The presentations, overviews, lunch, etc.). I really want to stay for all of this but it would make catching a flight back home really difficult. :( The schedule has it ending at 5:40pm and the flight I'm trying to catch is at 5:50pm out of ONT. That is the last flight home for the evening, so if I stay I would have to stay the night and leave the next morning. Congrats to everyone who got an interview invite! I'm so excited! :soexcited:

I honestly don't see if affecting your chance of admission. Given that the MMI panel don't even see your application, it's even-footing for everyone from then on and I doubt opting out of a few optional presentations will be a deciding factor whatsoever. I opted to see the PBL demo just out of curiosity!

I honestly don't see if affecting your chance of admission. Given that the MMI panel don't even see your application, it's even-footing for everyone from then on and I doubt opting out of a few optional presentations will be a deciding factor whatsoever. I opted to see the PBL demo just out of curiosity!
Thanks for your reply! I freaked out way too prematurely though, I just found a later flight - I wasn't looking hard enough I guess haha :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who got interview invites already, it seems most of you submitted somewhat early. When did you all submit?

For those of you who got interview invites already, it seems most of you submitted somewhat early. When did you all submit?

I submitted in my VMCAS early August, and submitted my secondary in like May (I was super excited), and then I got an interview invite on October 3rd!

I'm interviewing October 29th too, but in the morning! Is anyone else in the morning one?! :)

Are there more personality questions (for ex. Name a time where you were innovative) than situational (for ex. A client brings in a healthy pet to be euthanized. What do you do?)? Or vice versa?? I'm trying to prepare some answers to sample questions just to get my brain warmed up :D
I only had personal questions (i.e. Describe a time when you had to resolve a conflict - or something along those lines). I didn't have any scenario based questions. I remember having to think/discuss from personal experience.

What I remember is that we were in groups and we rotated around each event. For example, I had my tour first, then 2nd year presentations/talk, then the interview. Some other groups had their interviews first, then the other events after. I had my interview at the end of my scheduled events, and I remember I didn't leave until past 6, maybe 7. I'm not sure how they are doing it this year, but I would make sure if you are trying to catch a plane at a specific time.

Just got an email for an interview!!!

How long did it take Western to let you know which interview date you received? I'm freaking out with the little time I have to book a flight from the midwest...

How long did it take Western to let you know which interview date you received? I'm freaking out with the little time I have to book a flight from the midwest...
I would give them a call as they requested if you need to book something fast!

I got my invite 10/10, I sent back my response right away and got the date confirmation the next day 10/11

It took two days to find out which date for me!

How long after they emailed you that you were processed did they email you for an interview?

How long after they emailed you that you were processed did they email you for an interview?

It was about 12-13 days for me I believe from the time my application was sent in for review to when I received my invite.

I didn't receive an email saying my applications was processed until 10/13 which was a month after I was verified!

Hey guys.. So I submitted my vmcas application on Sept. 13th, and got an email from Western on Sept. 15th saying they received my secondary supplemental application. I still have not however received any email saying my application is complete. Did you guys receive such an email?

Hey guys.. So I submitted my vmcas application on Sept. 13th, and got an email from Western on Sept. 15th saying they received my secondary supplemental application. I still have not however received any email saying my application is complete. Did you guys receive such an email?

Yes you should receive an email saying that your VMCAS app was received and then another email letting you know that your application is in committee review!

I didn't receive an email saying my applications was processed until 10/13 which was a month after I was verified!
Same! It took them until middle of October to process mine! Now I'm just waiting for it to be reviewed. :xf:

Yes you should receive an email saying that your VMCAS app was received and then another email letting you know that your application is in committee review!

So I called the other day about this and they said they still have about 250 applications to go through. That is what mine hasn't been processed yet. It's crazy I haven't received an email yet!

So I called the other day about this and they said they still have about 250 applications to go through. That is what mine hasn't been processed yet. It's crazy I haven't received an email yet!
I think a ton of people submit close to the September 15th deadline, so that's probably the majority that they are going through right now!

I think a ton of people submit close to the September 15th deadline, so that's probably the majority that they are going through right now!

It's funny because then I have friends last year who submitted in August and were notified last minute for the last interview date.

It's funny because then I have friends last year who submitted in August and were notified last minute for the last interview date.
That's crazy!!! Who knows what their system is o_O

I was invited for an interview, but I'm on the fence about going since it will cost me like $500 for plane ticket and hotel.

I have been reading some stuff about how WesternU's accreditation is under fire and how it's rated 23rd out of the 24 vet schools. Is it really that bad? I'm also on the fence about "peer based learning". I'd rather be taught by professionals who know what they're doing.

Part of me is thinking I shouldn't turn down any interview, but I don't really know what to do.

I was invited for an interview, but I'm on the fence about going since it will cost me like $500 for plane ticket and hotel.

I have been reading some stuff about how WesternU's accreditation is under fire and how it's rated 23rd out of the 24 vet schools. Is it really that bad? I'm also on the fence about "peer based learning". I'd rather be taught by professionals who know what they're doing.

Part of me is thinking I shouldn't turn down any interview, but I don't really know what to do.
PBL - is NOT peer-based learning....its Problem-based Learning where faculty facilitate and provide subject-matter knowledge outside of classroom learning.

Can you provide the articles you mentioned about Western's accreditation??

PBL - is NOT peer-based learning....its Problem-based Learning where faculty facilitate and provide subject-matter knowledge outside of classroom learning.

Can you provide the articles you mentioned about Western's accreditation??

Here's an excerpt:
"described the Western students he encountered as lacking “a didactic education in the basic medical sciences” and, in many cases, as “ill-prepared in essential subjects including microbiology, immunology, pharmacology, physiology, and parasitology.”

The main thing I've read is just some people saying they don't deserve AVMA accreditation. I don't know how widespread (or valid) this opinion is, but like if I'm gonna pay $300k I'd like to know I'm getting a quality education at least. :/

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/12/11/veterinary-school-accreditor-comes-under-fire

Here's an excerpt:
"described the Western students he encountered as lacking “a didactic education in the basic medical sciences” and, in many cases, as “ill-prepared in essential subjects including microbiology, immunology, pharmacology, physiology, and parasitology.”

The main thing I've read is just some people saying they don't deserve AVMA accreditation. I don't know how widespread (or valid) this opinion is, but like if I'm gonna pay $300k I'd like to know I'm getting a quality education at least. :/

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/12/11/veterinary-school-accreditor-comes-under-fire
This article is from 2014....is this even applicable anymore?

Here's an excerpt:

I also wanted to share that some of Cornell's currciulum as well as UC Davis have the PBL as well: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/registrar/documents/DVMCurriculumOverview.pdf

MSU Vet just announced that they will be revamping their curriculum: http://www.veterinarypracticenews.c...curriculum-with-hopes-to-reduce-student-debt/

Personally, Western is my top choice school for these reasons:

The problem based learning (in my opinion) teaches students how to think like a doctor from day one. Rather than sitting in a lecture hall being told information all day everyday for your first couple/few years of vet school, you receive case studies and learn everything that other students at other schools learn through lectures. I like that students are in small groups for the problem based learning, which allows these students to work well together each semester.

I also love the fact that western does not have a teaching hospital. I know for many students that a teaching hospital is a must have, but in my opinion I feel that a teaching hospital gives students a false impression on how a normal hospital functions. Instead of a teaching hospital, the students work in all major veterinary fields during their third year in real life vet hospitals. Then, in your 4th year you can work in any field that you want to go into. I think this way of teaching really prepares you for your life after vet school, and many times students end up getting an actual job at one of the places that you were at during your third or fourth year.

This is just what I've gathered from alumni, preview day, current students, professors, and online. Of course, PBL is not for everyone and if you don't feel that that is the best way for you to learn then I wouldn't worry about going to the interview. I just personally feel that this style of learning is very innovative and I do not agree with the fact that you wouldn't be learning from professionals, because they are definitely there every step of the way.

Reactions: 3 users
So I'm visiting western next weekend. I'm really curious about the PBL based curriculum and maybe when I come back I can shed some further light on the subject. I'm really attracted to this school because of the early hands-on skills and because they don't have a teaching hospital.
I've noticed that schools with teaching hospitals all have really fancy toys like CT scanners and such. I'm kind of wondering if this may become somewhat of a con for students. Most hospitals I've been to definitely do not have the fancy toys. I am paranoid about relying on them too heavily during school and then suddenly not having access to them in the "real" world.
Plus like bullyb said, teaching hospitals function a lot differently than a normal hospital. They face different problems than regular hospitals do. For example, people that drive 7 hours to bring their pet to the teaching hospital for treatment are probably ready to pay a lot more for diagnostic tests and such than someone at a local animal clinic.
I also like the fact that there are lots of different sites to choose from. You'll learn about the pros and cons of each site and that may play into what you want your own practice to be like if ownership is your ultimate goal. You get to meet a lot more people and there's probably better networking opportunities for job placement one day.

Of course all this is just opinion or speculation and I'm definitely going to explore all the opportunities at western once I'm there. Gotta keep an open mind :)

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I haven't read the article but if it was in 2014 that was probably around the time that we were placed on probationary accreditation (as well as two other schools... Auburn and Tuskegee? May be remembering the exact schools incorrectly). We were placed on probationary accreditation because the CoE didn't like that there were no "direct outcomes" for fourth year students. That has since been rectified, and I think we were the first of those three schools to receive our full accreditation once again.

A note on probationary accreditation: the CoE changed the nomenclature around that time which made the term much more scary. "Probationary accreditation" just means "accredited with major flaws" or "accredited with more than one minor flaw." It is not uncommon for schools to be determined to have flaws in some aspect that they may be asked to address -- thus why three schools were found to be at fault that year.

That being said, I'm almost done with my time at Western and I wish that we had had a teaching hospital. We do not have a neurologist, or an oncologist, or a full-time radiologist. It can be incredibly frustrating to get appropriate education in those areas and trying to train yourself to handle all of those specialties is challenging to say the least. There are pros and cons to every school, so just keep that in mind.

Here's an excerpt:

You will get a quality education from any accredited school. Also, PBL is Problem-Based Learning. We have a faculty member that leads our PBL sessions. I think it is a misconception that students are all on their own in a PBL curriculum; it's simply not true. I had reservations about the PBL curriculum before attending, but I have learned to deal with it/make the best of it. I am actually really grateful for PBL because I feel like I am learning more by seeking out information on my own instead of having it fed to me. Now, I am not saying that lecture-based curriculum is the wrong way to learn, but I think more people are used to learning this way and might not be quick to adapt to PBL, but the majority of students so far (at least in my class) seems to have adapted well to our curriculum. Also, we do get lectures at least 3x a week, sometimes more depending on our schedule for the week. It's just that we do not have lectures from 8-5pm everyday.

If PBL was not a efficient way to learn, then it would have been abolished years ago and schools would not be actively trying to integrate it into their curriculum. Two of the "top" schools (since you care about rankings) Davis and Cornell, have been integrating PBL into their curriculum the past few years. Basically, do not let the PBL curriculum deter you from attending WesternU. I definitely would not give up a chance of obtaining a veterinary education just because I had a few reservations about the PBL curriculum. Also, if you attend an interview, there will be a mock PBL session that the 1st and 2nd years put on so you can see what the process will be like.

You will get a quality education from any accredited school. Also, PBL is Problem-Based Learning. We have a faculty member that leads our PBL sessions. I think it is a misconception that students are all on their own in a PBL curriculum; it's simply not true. I had reservations about the PBL curriculum before attending, but I have learned to deal with it/make the best of it. I am actually really grateful for PBL because I feel like I am learning more by seeking out information on my own instead of having it fed to me. Now, I am not saying that lecture-based curriculum is the wrong way to learn, but I think more people are used to learning this way and might not be quick to adapt to PBL, but the majority of students so far (at least in my class) seems to have adapted well to our curriculum. Also, we do get lectures at least 3x a week, sometimes more depending on our schedule for the week. It's just that we do not have lectures from 8-5pm everyday.

If PBL was not a efficient way to learn, then it would have been abolished years ago and schools would not be actively trying to integrate it into their curriculum. Two of the "top" schools (since you care about rankings) Davis and Cornell, have been integrating PBL into their curriculum the past few years. Basically, do not let the PBL curriculum deter you from attending WesternU. I definitely would not give up a chance of obtaining a veterinary education just because I had a few reservations about the PBL curriculum. Also, if you attend an interview, there will be a mock PBL session that the 1st and 2nd years put on so you can see what the process will be like.

What's the status of your BSLs now? I was pretty mad when, as a second year, they cut our BSLs down from two to one times a week and at that point faculty members were talking about removing them completely.

What's the status of your BSLs now? I was pretty mad when, as a second year, they cut our BSLs down from two to one times a week and at that point faculty members were talking about removing them completely.
We have BSL 2x a week either before or after lab.

We have BSL 2x a week either before or after lab.
That is so amazing that they returned to that. I'm honestly shocked, but so happy for you guys. I always got a lot out of BSLs, even the ones people tend to complain about ;)

That is so amazing that they returned to that. I'm honestly shocked, but so happy for you guys. I always got a lot out of BSLs, even the ones people tend to complain about ;)
I didn't even know that the schedule was different in the past! I also think BSL is super helpful to get a better understanding of the cases each week!