What is your opinion on this ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scharnhorst

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Personally I disagree completely what is the purpose of going to medical school and residency if APN anD MD are the same "as studies have shown"

If we accept this then are we implicitly saying med school and residency are an unnecessary waste of time and money ?

Members don't see this ad.

Working in a state without such restrictions against NP and PA numbers, I don't understand your concerns. The physicians and NP/PAs play different roles in virtually all settings. There is no large concern here for one group taking over another of which I am aware.

Working in a state without such restrictions against NP and PA numbers, I don't understand your concerns. The physicians and NP/PAs play different roles in virtually all settings. There is no large concern here for one group taking over another of which I am aware.
APN can do
outpatient medicine
Follow inpatient
Work in urgent care

Yes their training is not the same , nor management but to greedy bigger organizations / private groups they are the " ersatz physician " , if they are coming up with " evidence " that shows the outcomes are same whether you are treated by APN or MD what is
1 incentive to hire MD
2 Point of med school and residency for those choosing primary care as their path

To many of us it does not matter we are established and comfortable in our field but to new FP residents or those med students with FP ambitions isnt this a threat? Albeit not an existential one but nevertheless a substantial one.
Esp with APN being churned out in staggering numbers how will this not affect job prospects and compensation for FP MDs?
Where a group employed 5 doctors they can hire 2 MD and 3 APN much better for their bottomline.

If reasearch has been done to disapprove the notion that APN care is "just as good" can the physician lobbyists please share it

My nephew is in med school wants to do FP I dont want to discourage him but he raises these same questions, I would like to give him some concrete answers

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
APN can do
outpatient medicine
Follow inpatient
Work in urgent care
Can do and can do it properly instead of giving everyone a steroid/abx shot is entirely different. I think this is entirely BS and they need to seriously put a stop to this BS. Everyone wants to play the role of a provider and get their hands in the cookie jar but never take on the full responsibility. I can't tell you how many "strokes of genius" I had to fix in the ED/ admitted to inpatient due to a NP's mess up simply because they didn't know the medicine or missed something completely. There is a reason a MD goes to through the amount of training + residency.... a very important reason!

Reactions: 1 users
Can do and can do it properly instead of giving everyone a steroid/abx shot is entirely different. I think this is entirely BS and they need to seriously put a stop to this BS. Everyone wants to play the role of a provider and get their hands in the cookie jar but never take on the full responsibility. I can't tell you how many "strokes of genius" I had to fix in the ED/ admitted to inpatient due to a NP's mess up simply because they didn't know the medicine or missed something completely. There is a reason a MD goes to through the amount of training + residency.... a very important reason!
yes yes exactly but the whole point is the entire doc community esp FP/FM are not getting the message across and putting an end to this nonsense
just because we all think "uggh this is not worth my time I'm too cool to be bothered by this ", this sullen indifference will cost the new gen of FP docs a lot in the long term.
Even in my world of outpatient primary care and occasional inpatient/UC I see a lot of these mess ups everyday , if my resident did this I would have chewed their a$$ but with APN we always have to treat them with kids gloves.[Although I personally document every such incident and passes it on to the medical director and risk management]
we should be in the forefront to INCREASE the restrictions on how much APN can practice, on the contrary we are not seeing the pushback.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
yes yes exactly but the whole point is the entire doc community esp FP/FM are not getting the message across and putting an end to this nonsense
just because we all think "uggh this is not worth my time I'm too cool to be bothered by this ", this sullen indifference will cost the new gen of FP docs a lot in the long term.
Even in my world of outpatient primary care and occasional inpatient/UC I see a lot of these mess ups everyday , if my resident did this I would have chewed their a$$ but with APN we always have to treat them with kids gloves.[Although I personally document every such incident and passes it on to the medical director and risk management]
we should be in the forefront to INCREASE the restrictions on how much APN can practice, on the contrary we are not seeing the pushback.
Its not that docs aren't fighting for it, it is bigger companies that hire the cheaper labor to see more patients and generate more revenue. Case and point urgent care sees like 80 in an hour...how much proper care can you give in that time frame?

just because we all think "uggh this is not worth my time I'm too cool to be bothered by this "

Speak for yourself.

I have never trained or hired a midlevel, and never will. I have been active in lobbying against scope expansion legislation for most of my career. We could use your help. Get involved in your state AAFP chapter. Whining on social media accomplishes nothing.

Reactions: 2 users