Wisconsin c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annamalita

DVM 2019
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! :hello:

Just thought I would begin this thread for UW Madison applicants to share their experiences during this application cycle. This is a wonderful school, good luck to everyone applying here!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else on SDN applying here? I just submitted my application, sooo excited!

I'm applying. Are you OOS or IS? Nice job submitting already :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm OOS, so long shot o_O but this school is my top choice!

Ha, same here! Where are else are you applying?

UofI and Michigan State. UofI is my IS. You?

Penn, Cornell, WSU (is) and Wisconsin. It's my first application cycle, why not set my sights high? :p

How's the application going?

yeah I am staying in the midwest, but cornell was once on my list awhile ago. I got the app done, so now I don't have much to do but wait until November for the supplemental :/ sucks that we have to wait so long. I wish they would send out the supplementals right after you submitted your application.

I am applying next summer and Wisconsin is on my list! So I will definitely be watching this thread to see how it goes! Bonne chance to everyone this cycle!

If anyone has questions about the program here feel free to PM me - I'm a current second year. Good luck on applications! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying! How's your exotics side of the program? Do you get many exotic cases? Is there tracking? Ahh I have a million questions to ask! :)

I am applying here as well. Slightly nervous as the chances for OOS are slim but I feel like my application is much stronger this year. Either way, good luck to everyone!

I'm applying! How's your exotics side of the program? Do you get many exotic cases? Is there tracking? Ahh I have a million questions to ask! :)

There's no tracking in the first 3 years. There are a few elective options, which are in addition to the regular courseload. There is one class (special species) during third year for exotics. There may be more curricular opportunities since they added the selectives program, but I graduated before they instituted that. Most folks interested in exotics will either apply to be on the Other Track for fourth year, or do small animal and use their externship and elective time to do exotics stuff. The caseload for special species in the hospital is variable, not super heavy, but I saw some cool stuff while I was on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah sorry forgot to get back on here and check if someone actually had a question! What variegata said :) There are volunteer opportunities available for exotics and I have a lot of classmates who have gotten good clinical and research experience with them while in school here.

When does Wis. tend to send out rejections/acceptances? They say on their website that it's no later than April 1st, but do they really make you wait that long? :arghh:

When does Wis. tend to send out rejections/acceptances? They say on their website that it's no later than April 1st, but do they really make you wait that long? :arghh:
If they follow the trend of the last few years, then you should find out around the middle of Feb (Last year OOS got acceptance phone calls around the 10th-14th, and people started to trickle in waitlists/rejections around the 16th-19th depending on where you lived).

If they follow the trend of the last few years, then you should find out around the middle of Feb (Last year OOS got acceptance phone calls around the 10th-14th, and people started to trickle in waitlists/rejections around the 16th-19th depending on where you lived).
Thanks so much, Ashgirl!

Do they send out a confirmation email confirming they got your vmcas app?

Do they send out a confirmation email confirming they got your vmcas app?

The only emails I received from UW in the last two cycles was to confirm that they received my required applicant data form, the instructions for the supplemental, and confirmation of supplemental submission. Hope that helps!

After I submitted my VMCAS app I went to their website and only saw that the supp was going to be sent out in November. I didn't know you had to fill out the data form and that it was also due on the 2nd. I filled mine out a little while ago and called them and thankfully they're not throwing out my app due to that mistake. The admissions rep I spoke to on the phone was very understanding and nice. I'm glad I'm applying here. :)

Crap I didn't know there was a form either. I just went on and it let me submit it. I emailed them about it so hopefully they'll show me the same mercy as you felixor90

Crap I didn't know there was a form either. I just went on and it let me submit it. I emailed them about it so hopefully they'll show me the same mercy as you felixor90

Haha, same here (a week or so ago). They seem pretty merciful though when I emailed them to make sure it was OK. Wisconsin is definitely my #1 choice school.

Does anyone know what the Wisconsin supplemental application will be like? We already did the "vet experience/why I want to be a vet" narrative for VMCAS, so I'm wondering what else they'll want us to write about. A scientific research paper like Illinois? A creative response like Tufts?

Does anyone know what the Wisconsin supplemental application will be like? We already did the "vet experience/why I want to be a vet" narrative for VMCAS, so I'm wondering what else they'll want us to write about. A scientific research paper like Illinois? A creative response like Tufts?
Last year it was a diversity essay, if I'm remembering correctly. Two of my classmates applied there

Last year it was a diversity essay, if I'm remembering correctly. Two of my classmates applied there

A diversity essay? Like discussing what you can bring to the incoming class to make it more diverse?

A diversity essay? Like discussing what you can bring to the incoming class to make it more diverse?
The supplemental was pretty straightforward, though Gwen is right, there is a diversity essay involved. It was basically what you think it would be, though you can literally put anything (it doesn't have to include animals) that makes you unique. Are you the first person in your family to go to college? Do you play an instrument? Do you have an unique hobby or job or something you like to do?

I admit, this essay was rather tough for me, but they leave it open so you can put anything that you think will bring the class diversity, and it can be (in my opinion), as big or small as you would like.

Along with the diversity essay are a couple segments to expand on what you've done since submitting VMCAS.

Aww I thought it was the supplemental :( oh well, glad to hear something from them!

Getting closer, everyone! =]

Yep I got the email today as well. Now we just have to wait for supplementals.

I am a current first year vet student at UW. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

After submitting around when do you usually hear back from them?
For the supplemental or actually hearing back decision wise?

I think we got the supplemental around this time last year.

Decisions (if they follow trends) will come via snail mail (or if you are accepted OOS phone) around middle of February.

For the supplemental or actually hearing back decision wise?

I think we got the supplemental around this time last year.

Decisions (if they follow trends) will come via snail mail (or if you are accepted OOS phone) around middle of February.

I actually spoke with Mary in the Office of Academic Affairs today and she said that the supplemental would be sent out in the next week or so and it will be due back to them 2-3 weeks after we receive it. :)

After submitting around when do you usually hear back from them?
I heard back about my acceptance around mid-February. I am in-state though. Otherwise I remember getting my supplemental application around this time last year.

I realllllly hope they send out the supplemental soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does everyone get the supplemental or will some be denied right away?

Does everyone get the supplemental or will some be denied right away?
I'm not sure, but I was emailed some questions about my app and was told they were reviewing applications. So I do know they're already going though them.

I'm also a current first year at UW if anyone has questions. Good luck applying!!

I'm also a current first year at UW if anyone has questions. Good luck applying!!
Are you oos or is? Would you mind sharing what you're liking and disliking about the school and why you picked it?

Are you oos or is? Would you mind sharing what you're liking and disliking about the school and why you picked it?

Sure! I'm OOS and I applied to Wisconsin because their OOS tuition was actually cheaper than my IS (FL). Not by much, but I went to UF for undergrad and wanted to get out and experience something new instead of staying in Gainesville for another 4 years. Everyone was extremely nice and welcoming at the open house and I really liked Madison, so it was a pretty easy decision after that. UW also has a great reputation and I kept hearing from current students and recent grads that employers tend to love Wisconsin grads for some reason.

Some of the things I like about UW are how all of our classes cover the same material at roughly the same time (if you're dissecting the heart in anatomy then you're also covering the heart in physiology, histology, and developmental anatomy). It makes things a lot easier to learn. Our professors also do a really good job of trying to make things that we're learning clinically relevant by relating it back to situations we'll face in practice. We have something called clinical anatomy every other week where we get a break from dissection (trust me, you'll need it) and we break up into small groups and watch surgical videos, discuss case studies, and go through problems together. We also have physical exam skills labs and radiographic anatomy in the first semester, which is pretty cool and I don't know if a lot of vet schools do that. All of our professors are very approachable and you can tell that they really want us to succeed. There's no competition in our class and people share study guides or useful links all the time. We also get the first 2 summers off!

As far as things that I don't like.. The facilities are definitely older and the downstairs clinics seem cramped for space. It can get crowded during lunch and there aren't a ton of places to sit. Cell phone reception also sucks in the entire back half of the building. And It's starting to get cold.. But that's a given with Wisconsin. Other than that I don't have many negative things to say. I really like it here so far!

Reactions: 6 users
JUST got the email to complete the supplemental! TALLY-HO everyone!

Reactions: 3 users